... the Kingdom Hearts thread

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

... the Kingdom Hearts thread

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:26 am UTC

So that we don't totally derail the superpowers thread.

I am a Kingdom Hearts addict. Yes. I admit it. There. My Primary Fandom is a Disney/Square cross. It's crack, but oh so good crack.

I got the first game the year it came out, which allows me to be pretensious around the (zillions) of fans who came to it around KHII. WE DIDNT HAVE REACTION COMMANDS OR A GOOD CAMERA YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS. ALSO THE GAME WAS ACTUALLY HARD. ... adn the gummiship SUCKED.

My favourite in the series is Chain of Memories. I happen to -like- the cards, and the characters and plot are infinetly superior to the other two games. So much better written, the game actually asks tough questions and doesn't get lost halfway through (unlike 99% of all Squeenix games) It also requires far more strategy than the other two, and Riku's storyline is probably the hardest mode of the three (discounting Final Mix +'s Proud, since that's not a stateside release :( )

I also probably know more about the game than anyone save Nomura Tetsuya himself - I used to write for a fansite and cling to any news I can get.

No, I don't have a life. Why do you ask...?

Oh. KEEP THE DISNEY FLAMES OUT OF HERE, KTHX. I don't care if you hate Disney, or if you hate Square, or if you just hate the two in concert. This ain't a thread for you to go LOLZ DISNEY/SQUARE/KH SUXXORZ, N00B!

And if you flame, the thing in my avatar will get you >:(
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

The LuigiManiac
Location: Trapped in a hypothetical situation somewhere in Ontario...help?

Postby The LuigiManiac » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:32 am UTC

I have nothing against Square, mainly because they co-developed and co-published Super Mario RPG. I've never played it, but I love the first two Paper Mario games, and they might not have been made if it weren't for Super Mario RPG.

I also don't have anything against Disney.

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts though.
Spoiler:
THE CAKE IS A 3.141592653589...!

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:50 am UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:I have nothing against Square, mainly because they co-developed and co-published Super Mario RPG. I've never played it, but I love the first two Paper Mario games, and they might not have been made if it weren't for Super Mario RPG.

I also don't have anything against Disney.

I haven't played Kingdom Hearts though.

It's entertaining. Not for everyone, certainly. But entertaining.

... then again I'm biased.

Alcari

Postby Alcari » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:57 am UTC

well, yes, it is entertaining, can't argue there.
But it fun-cruce is a steep one. I think it's very repetetive and get boring very quickly. same as with some of the FF games.

part one was nice, it was actaully a good game. the music was great, but I really despised the camera, as with so many console games.

Part2 really wasn't that good. Nothing new, very contrived storyline, haven't fix the camera. Can't say much about Chain of Memories, as I lack a GBA, but i notice it's on the ps2 as well, so I'll have to "aquire" it and see.

overal, I think it's a nice game, but overhyped and they should have stopped at part one.
I'm made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

free manga and anime music

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:05 pm UTC

I came to kingdom hearts when KHII came out but KH cost 30€ less brand new, and that's money for two second hand games right there (DMC3 i can't get into and GTA:SA was too heavily scratched to be playable).

Either way, I thought it was fun, but a smidge repetetive (another fat guy? Come on!) though once I discovered how to work the gummiship, I was hooked. I actually, stopped playing a few hours after rescuing all the puppies (those hours were spend bending the laws of self imposed faux aerodynamics to try and put as many wings and weird torches which I never understood the need for as possible on one craft. This became all the more complicated when I realised that the little auxiliary wings were wings and not tailwings)

The point is, what you got against the decaplane?
Heaven is for the hedonist

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:09 pm UTC

I played the first one the year it came out all the way to (what I think is) the last level.. Hollow Bastion. Teleported or whatever down to ... a blank open field. Ran forward two or three feet and... got sucked in to some kinda random fight thing or something.

For whatever reason, I completely lost interest right there, and haven't touched it since.

Granted, my PS2's been broken for over two years, so I couldn't play it even if I wanted to play it, but that's not really the point..because I don't want to play it.

But my GummiBorg ship was nice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Brian

Postby Brian » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

The LuigiManiac wrote:I have nothing against Square, mainly because they co-developed and co-published Super Mario RPG. I've never played it, but I love the first two Paper Mario games, and they might not have been made if it weren't for Super Mario RPG.

For the love of all things good and holy:

GO PICK THIS GAME UP, NOW!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:47 pm UTC

What's Kingdom Hearts?

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:55 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:What's Kingdom Hearts?

your mum.

Ok, not to derail the thread. I love Kingdom Hearts, i also love Survival Horror games such as Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, and Fatal Frame. I also enjoy Mc Chris.

i'm sure many of you have seen this, but i wanted to share anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8G8delDlk
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 pm UTC

I hate Kingdom Hearts.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:What's Kingdom Hearts?

your mum.

Ok, not to derail the thread. I love Kingdom Hearts, i also love Survival Horror games such as Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, and Fatal Frame. I also enjoy Mc Chris.

i'm sure many of you have seen this, but i wanted to share anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b8G8delDlk

I giggled with a furious vengeance at that video, truly I did.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

I categorically refuse to play any game where the currency is called "munny."

That said, I watch videos of the Sephiroth fight scenes. Hot.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:29 pm UTC

I liked Kingdom Hearts 1, but I absolutely can't stand people who get really involved one way or the other. If you don't think it's that great, don't flame people who do, but by the same token, don't freak out and lash at someone because they don't like it.

Personally, I found KH II kind of boring. It's really the same storyline (sealing off worlds to prevent heartless from destroying them and ultimately stopping a guy who wants to control Kingdom Hearts for his own ends) rehashing old worlds with a few new ones thrown in. Don't get me wrong, though, the Tron world was bad ass.
Also, the beginning. Dude, what the hell. The time spent playing as Roxas takes longer than many full games I've played. You don't do anything fun. It takes six hours to play as Sora.

I sometimes also feel the game gets a little too wrapped up in its own mythology and takes itself too seriously. After the first game, all the characters turn into these awkward emo preteens that I couldn't connect with. That the people need three games to explain the giant keys these miscreants are running around with are (and even then I have no idea) only complicates matters.

Finally, it takes a long ass-time to get anything fun in the game. Getting the Ultima Weapon and seeing the secret ending? Been there, done that. Don't recommend it. The process to get that alone added a good 20 hours to my play time. Somehow I don't think I enjoyed a second of it. But god damn that ending was going to be spectacular, so I waded through the crap to see it. And that's a lot of the driving force behind this game, and indeed a lot of modern Square Enix RPGs. But you know what? The secret ending sucked. I'm tired of these games and feeling more in the dark about the plot after finishing than when I bought the game.

But hey, I'm glad someone can find enjoyment in these games and I hope they can make it a bit more fun for the third (fourth, whatever) installment.

Okay, done now, I have a sneaking feeling this is going to get torn to shreds by Nyarlathotep, so have at it.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Akira
The Enemy's Gate Is Down. Sugoi desu ne!

Postby Akira » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:49 pm UTC

<_< I haven't finished KHI.

I admit, I really only got it because I fell in love with the song they used int he commercial (Simple and Clean, by Utada Hikaru).
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Finally, it takes a long ass-time to get anything fun in the game. Getting the Ultima Weapon and seeing the secret ending? Been there, done that. Don't recommend it. The process to get that alone added a good 20 hours to my play time. Somehow I don't think I enjoyed a second of it. But god damn that ending was going to be spectacular, so I waded through the crap to see it. And that's a lot of the driving force behind this game, and indeed a lot of modern Square Enix RPGs.

Thank you. I'm glad someone else has been having this problem with Square games. I used to really enjoy their stuff. I don't know if they changed, or I did.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:26 pm UTC

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was an awesome game. So very awesome. I was severely disappointed by the Paper Mario games. (Except Super Paper Mario for the Wii, it's awesome, but also not much of an RPG)

Any way - Kingdom Hearts. I like it. The ludicrous gummi ship possibilities were pretty funny (and KH2's Gummi ship stages could be a game on their own) Also combat in KH is awesome, I don't see how anyone could get bored of it.

Plus I have no idea what you guys are complaining about with the camera. I don't recall any issues with it.

I'd try Chain of Memories, but... blah. I don't like the cards. I doubt I'm missing very important story (except, well, the introduction of Organization XIII)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

shadebug

Postby shadebug » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:47 pm UTC

it's not the camera I was so annoyed about (the camera only annoyed me when I was stood infront of a wall and then it was only because I can't do much looking at my character, though that's more physics's problem than KH's) but the targetting. I don't have z targetting on, so why the hell are you still targetting the guy I just knowcked halfway across the room? What do you expect me to do? Teleport over there? How about this guy right next to me? Could I maybe attack him a little? No? Right... I'll be walking across the room then.

Also, my experience with sephiroth was much like the weapons in FFVII. Walk in with my awesome configuration set up. Try to get my bearings and, wait, no, I'm dead. I'd hate to imagine what would've happened if i'd gone to agrabah again. That said, i'm glad i didn't get to hear Lance Bass as Sephiroth

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

Sephiroth was the most maddening, ridiculous, unbalanced boss ever.
I mean, seriously, WTF? Did the guy who programmed that section have his wife leave him that morning? Why would anyone hate mankind that much?

That said, I whipped his ass.
I'm a completionist.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

Narsil wrote:Sephiroth was the most maddening, ridiculous, unbalanced boss ever.
I mean, seriously, WTF? Did the guy who programmed that section have his wife leave him that morning? Why would anyone hate mankind that much?

That said, I whipped his ass.
I'm a completionist.

the only boss who was tougher for me to beat than Sephiroth(via normal methods, i never got an of that w-summon, master materia bullcrap) was M. Bison from the street fighter series.

that asshole, i hate him so much.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:14 pm UTC

Sephiroth was the most maddening, ridiculous, unbalanced boss ever.
Personally, I think that was the point.

I watched my brother play through both Kingdom Hearts, and I just absolutely loved when he tried to fight Sephiroth in KHI at level 50ish and got owned in 5 seconds. It just said, "you are not badass, Sora. This is a character from a serious game, and he will destroy you," and that made me glad.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:55 am UTC

Vandole wrote:Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was an awesome game. So very awesome. I was severely disappointed by the Paper Mario games. (Except Super Paper Mario for the Wii, it's awesome, but also not much of an RPG)

Any way - Kingdom Hearts. I like it. The ludicrous gummi ship possibilities were pretty funny (and KH2's Gummi ship stages could be a game on their own) Also combat in KH is awesome, I don't see how anyone could get bored of it.

Plus I have no idea what you guys are complaining about with the camera. I don't recall any issues with it.

I'd try Chain of Memories, but... blah. I don't like the cards. I doubt I'm missing very important story (except, well, the introduction of Organization XIII)

ACtually, CoM explains who the hell Namine is and why Sora has some... odd... gaps in his memory. And why he was in that damn pod in the first place.

Also, Axel was about a billion times cooler in CoM. Nobody knew what the hell his motivations were and he was just a backstabbing asshole.

And then KHII comes around and it's all "ROXAS D:< "

I agree that KHII wasn't as good as KHI, even though they fixed a lot of problems and added some fun new things. It was too easy and the plot wasn't as good.

I agree with Belial, in that square just... gah. takes too long to do anything. That said, Kingdom Hearts is probably the least guilty of this - Final Fantasy VII takes the cake for "impossible to complete 100%"

Then again I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to Kingdom Hearts. So meh.

I happen to enjoy the mythology. Sometimes it gets a bit over the top but it's why I like the damn games - something about it really draws me. Then again, KHII seriously ruined some of the characters... Riku, particularly. In Chain of Memories he's this fantastically snarky guy who comes to terms with the sins he's committed (He kind of destroys his own homeworld in the first game >>; )
Then in KHII? He's nothing but a pile of angst. Bah.

I prefer Roxas to Sora, sorry guys. Roxas, to me, was more intelligent and more... I dunno. I connected to him better. Even so, I would have preferred the simplicity of the first game with a plot that was more coherent to the over the top stuff we got in the second (cool as some of that stuff was. Final Form? Oh god yes. And Eternal Session, as well... and the final boss was certainly one of the most entertaining I'd fought in a while)

Sephiroth... is hard, but honestly I think Kurt Ziza is harder. and I hear that both the secret boss of the original Final Mix and the new one from Final Mix + make Seph look like a pussy (Me, I can't wait >:D )

*edit* Lemmie esplain the Seph vs Ziza bit.

I'm a magic whore in any game. I admit this freely. Magic is my friend and I abuse it to no end.
Ziza casts Silence.
Can you see the issue I had here...?

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:27 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:*edit* Lemmie esplain the Seph vs Ziza bit.

I'm a magic whore in any game. I admit this freely. Magic is my friend and I abuse it to no end.
Ziza casts Silence.
Can you see the issue I had here...?

Haha, I'm the opposite. I do physical only in most recent Squeenix games. In Kingdom Hearts, I used only cure, except for the time trial arenas, where I used thundaga. In KH2, cure costs all of your MP, so I used it a lot less... Also, I loved Berserk Charge. Infinite combo is awesome (though it disabled the use of the very powerful combo finishers) I will second Final Form and Eternal Session being awesome... especially since the last boss fight consisted of using Eternal Session over and over and over again. (I'm thinking the gliding part with the throne)

KH2 actually did a pretty good job of explaining the events of Chain of Memories; or maybe I just didn't care what happened that much.
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

LSK

Postby LSK » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:53 am UTC

I'm meh on the KH series. The first game was fun, but the non-action events were frustrating without a walkthrough. Memorable annoyances included Tarzan's level (picture hunting) and The Little Mermaid's level (cutscene hunting). The game, when it boiled down to actual gameplay, was fun. The plot was fun when it was Kingdom Hearts plot and not Disney plot.

Chain of Memories was interesting. I liked the core mechanic, but didn't like the gameplay. The best parts of CoM were the boss battles.

KH2 is something else entirely. The gameplay feels more hollow and scripted than KH - boss battles are entirely reaction command after reaction command, magic is worthless, and all sorts of gimmicks exist to make fighting easier than it is. The zones are far too straightforward and have less exploration options. The story's decently interesting, and I think this is the series's strong suit.

In total, I've spent $40 on the KH series (I got the GBA one as a loaner.) I think it was worth it, due to the gameplay time alone...

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:33 am UTC

Randomly, I'm playing the first game over again... I will say that the gameplay doesn't feel quite as... I dunno. Shiney? But the story is much more solid.

Also? Giant. Space. Whale.

Giant anatomically incorrect space whale.

From SPACE!!!!!

... ok. one of the more annoying and WTF levels. But somehow it makes more sense than half of KHII, and I mean come on.

it's a space whale.

With psychedelic innards.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 am UTC

I loved that game- it was very fun, except for the Tarzan part.

Fuck Tarzan.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:38 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:I loved that game- it was very fun, except for the Tarzan part.

Fuck Tarzan.

that's probably why it's only in the first game and not in either of the other two.

Akira

Postby Akira » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:49 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:Randomly, I'm playing the first game over again... I will say that the gameplay doesn't feel quite as... I dunno. Shiney? But the story is much more solid.

From SPACE!!!!!

... ok. one of the more annoying and WTF levels. But somehow it makes more sense than half of KHII, and I mean come on.

it's a space whale.

That level hated me. <_< Too much coordinated jumping. I'm not coordinated.
Warning: Arguments about semantics really, really annoy this member, and are liable to make her snippy, offensive, and REALLY politically incorrect.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:55 am UTC

Akira wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Randomly, I'm playing the first game over again... I will say that the gameplay doesn't feel quite as... I dunno. Shiney? But the story is much more solid.

From SPACE!!!!!

it's a space whale.

That level hated me. <_< Too much coordinated jumping. I'm not coordinated.

Well, agreed (I'm good at it, but that level gets me :\ )

Even so. Space whale?

Akira

Postby Akira » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Yeah, why not? Space whales are perfectly logical. Sorta.

Peshmerga
Mad Hatter

Postby Peshmerga » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:08 am UTC

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Peshmerga wrote:I loved that game- it was very fun, except for the Tarzan part.

Fuck Tarzan.

that's probably why it's only in the first game and not in either of the other two.

There's two others? Jeez.
i hurd u liek mudkips???

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:15 am UTC

Peshmerga wrote:There's two others? Jeez.
Well, Persh, there's:
-Kingdom Hearts 1
-Kingdom Hearts 1: Final Mix (Special Edition with expanded content)
-Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
-Kingdom Hearts II
-Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix (More content + remake of Chain of Memories)
-Kingdom Hearts III (Not announced yet, but judging by the videos at the last games there is more story to be told)
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:36 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Thank you. I'm glad someone else has been having this problem with Square games. I used to really enjoy their stuff. I don't know if they changed, or I did.

I'm guessing it's not them, it's you. Or, rather, it is them, in that it's the same old stuff you've done before.

You've already spent days doing nothing but fighting random fights just to level so you can go behind the third waterfall on the left and fight your way down the 999 levels of the Legendary Infinite Dungeon to kill Captain Secret Ultimo III, then Captain Secret Ultimo Jr, and finally Captain Secret Ultimo, before all three of them join together and form Super Captain Secret Ultimo Perfect, whom you then kill to get the Useless Flower Token..which does nothing but let you prove to your friends that you had a week to kill.

So..yeah, why do it again, when you've already done it?

Personally, I'm finding artificial limits imposed by games to be annoying. Stuff like bridges not existing/being closed until a certain task is performed (I'm lookin' at YOU, FFI and GTA3/ViceCity/SanAndreas!) or, in the case of Kingdom Hearts - not having them mapped in or whatever the excuse was. I'll let it slide when it's a hidden planet/island/cave in the forest when I could possibly stumble upon it, or it being such a remote thing that a map is necessary... but only for one or two locations, not all of them. Let me go into areas and get seriously spanked.. that's why we have saved games.

..and let's not get started on save points.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

I agree with Belial, in that square just... gah. takes too long to do anything. That said, Kingdom Hearts is probably the least guilty of this - Final Fantasy VII takes the cake for "impossible to complete 100%"
Thirty hours of "extra" (read- the same) content is not the problem.

The problem is the introductory sequence. Someone saw the minute or two that happens in the movies before the credits roll, and decided that it would be a good thing to add into their games. But, instead of a short sequence to set the scene, it can take *hours*. How long was it in KHII before you even saw the title screen? People have already complained about Roxas, but how long was it before you got to play as the main character?

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:27 pm UTC

.. I'm sorry, I would rather have had Roxas as the main character for KHII, so I had no problem with playing as him. Given the amount that they hyped that kid up in the promotional material (before the commercials came on. I'm talking a few years before the game came out) it seemed like the game was going to be about Roxas' journey to restore Sora (who had been somehow "broken")

So from my personal perspective it felt like we only got to play the main character for three hours before having to play as this brown-haired dipshit who already had one game to his self and 50% of another game. But again, that's from someone who was on top of the press releases since the original Final Mix came out. which means I had rather vastly different expectations for the game than non-psychotic fans.

(... I like to think that I'm a bit better than most fans, given that I'm perfectly willing to admit that all three games have significant flaws and are not actually TEH BESTEST GAEMS EVAR. I thought KHII needed serious help. I just... like the games DESPITE their flaws and can play 'em for hours. I don't expect anyone ELSE to. I know I'm a freak. >>; )
(... but I'm probably just as annoying as every other freak fan. damn it. *sighs*)

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:00 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Thirty hours of "extra" (read- the same) content is not the problem.

The problem is the introductory sequence. Someone saw the minute or two that happens in the movies before the credits roll, and decided that it would be a good thing to add into their games. But, instead of a short sequence to set the scene, it can take *hours*. How long was it in KHII before you even saw the title screen? People have already complained about Roxas, but how long was it before you got to play as the main character?
As I said before, it's a good six hours before you get to command Sora and have any fun.
And it's not that Roxas is fundamentally not fun, it's that you don't get the damn Keyblade except for like two sequences. You do chores the whole time and watch people you don't know cry. It's plain bad game design.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

@TheHaunterOfTheDark: i JUST now noticed the black "thing" moving across the thresh hold in your avatar. very cool.

Took me 3 hours to get to the actual title, the beginning of the game was inane.

Roxas was alright, but i like Sora better. (probably because i have only played and beaten KH1 so i have more of an attachment to sora than roxas)

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:(I'm lookin' at YOU, FFI and GTA3/ViceCity/SanAndreas!)

FFI is one of the greatest FF's ever.

FF1 SPOILER*** The bridge in FF1 isn't build until you defeat Garland. If you could progress through the game without defeating Garland, the whole Temple of Chaos thing doesn't make too much sense. ***FF1SPOILER

Your Squeenix rant reminds of one I posted years ago on another forum. For some reason this is on the first result page from googling "CreemyNougat."

CreemyNougat wrote:I'm freakin' tired of the game being structured such that in the third town you visit, there's a rock underneath the fourth bush on the left side that you need to get, but it's only there immediately after you escape from prison, where you ended up because of a betrayal by your trusted friend, and if you wait until after you've raced around on a chocobo to meet up with and join the resistance, you can't do it. But you're on the other side of world after escaping prison, so you have to backtrack to another town and rent a jalopy so that you can travel all the way back to the third one, and you have to enter the town in juuust the correct topwise fashion or else the bush won't be there. If you mess it up, you can't get the rock underneath it, and the rock is actually the Ancient Key that you need to unlock the door to the Ancient Underwater Temple that no one in the game has ever heard of and that isn't even on the map because it's in that weird center area next all four corners of the map, and if you can't get into the Ancient Underwater Temple, your main character can never achieve peace with himself and you can't get his Ultimate Weapon from the Ancient Underwater Temple.
And also, the bush in which you need to search is invisible.

All of that having been said, I think it's time to make a Squeenix complaint thread and let Kingdom Hearts keep this one.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

Heh, that applied to absolutely every Final Fantasy game I've played.
That is to say, most of them.
Spoiler:

*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Phenriz

Postby Phenriz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

CreemyNougat wrote:I'm freakin' tired of the game being structured such that in the third town you visit, there's a rock underneath the fourth bush on the left side that you need to get, but it's only there immediately after you escape from prison, where you ended up because of a betrayal by your trusted friend, and if you wait until after you've raced around on a chocobo to meet up with and join the resistance, you can't do it. But you're on the other side of world after escaping prison, so you have to backtrack to another town and rent a jalopy so that you can travel all the way back to the third one, and you have to enter the town in juuust the correct topwise fashion or else the bush won't be there. If you mess it up, you can't get the rock underneath it, and the rock is actually the Ancient Key that you need to unlock the door to the Ancient Underwater Temple that no one in the game has ever heard of and that isn't even on the map because it's in that weird center area next all four corners of the map, and if you can't get into the Ancient Underwater Temple, your main character can never achieve peace with himself and you can't get his Ultimate Weapon from the Ancient Underwater Temple.
And also, the bush in which you need to search is invisible.

You can thank the producers of "strategy guides", "walkthroughs", or as i like to refer to them as "Will you hold my dick, for me, so i can take a piss?" guides.

Were it not for those books i'm sure there'd be far less obscure things of that nature.

I play games to be challenged and entertained, "Will you hold my dick, for me, so i can take a piss?" guides detract from these types of games soooo much.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

Phenriz wrote:@TheHaunterOfTheDark: i JUST now noticed the black "thing" moving across the thresh hold in your avatar. very cool.

Took me 3 hours to get to the actual title, the beginning of the game was inane.

Roxas was alright, but i like Sora better. (probably because i have only played and beaten KH1 so i have more of an attachment to sora than roxas)

Heh, I'd beaten KHI something like four times before KHII came out.

I still like Roxas better :\

I think if we'd gotten Roxas as he was in the Axel fight for a LOT longer it would have been better. Mmmm, dual-wielding.

Return to “Gaming”