Hypothetical: Nintendo is making an MMO...

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

What is it based off of?

Legend of Zelda
10%
Mario
2%
Kirby
2%
Metroid
4%
Star Fox
3%
Pokemon
65%
Some other existing series
2%
Something new
6%
Nintendo is stupid and sucks, etc.
1%
Otter/Duck
5%

Total votes: 100

Neuman

Hypothetical: Nintendo is making an MMO...

Postby Neuman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:50 am UTC

Assume for the sake of discussion that it's a good game that's totally worth the money. What series is it based on, when does it take place, and how close is the gameplay to the original?

I for one have wanted a Pokemon MMO for years now. It takes place in the first region a few years ofter Red/Blue, with the other regions eventually being available for purchase as well. Instead of turn based combat, you switch between trainer and controlling the mon directly. Sufficiently wealthy player run groups can buy their own gyms.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

defaultusername

Re: Hypothetical: Nintendo is making an MMO...

Postby defaultusername » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

I don't play MMORPGs. The concept is stupid; in RPGs in general the whole point is that the character you are playing is somehow especially well suited to save the world/princess/whatever. When you take a universe originally designed for that kind of story and just throw in a couple of million badass hero-types you divide by zero(that line originally read "break the universe", but go figure).
/rant

That said, the Pokémon universe is actually extremely well suited for an MMORGP; in this universe there are already millions running around doing nothing but training their monsters and battling each other. I haven't been into Pokémon for years (not since there were 151 of them), yet I think I might actually be interested in that MMORGP.
Because phlogiston.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Hey, you might be interested in this.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Nintendo wouldn't make one because their business model/philosophy isn't to provide and maintain services (for revenue). This is why MS and Sony are ahead in the complexity and breadth of their online features. But Nintendo is far more profitable and always has been - the online isn't making much of a contribution to MS and Sony's income.

Nintendo also has very few employees (but get a lot out of them). To maintain an MMO or extensive online service requires a lot of employees and support structures which Nintendo is not experienced in managing. I mean, Blizzard has more employees than Nintendo. And Nintendo does hardware design for two platforms as well, and releases many more games than Blizzard.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:16 pm UTC

The only one that's sensible is a Pokemon MMO. All the other ones are centered around a single character saving the day- what the hell would a MMO Metroid look like? Twenty Samuses grouping to take down Mother Brain? With Pokemon, there are other people doing the same thing you're doing.

Also, something new out of Nintendo? That'll be the day.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:what the hell would a MMO Metroid look like?

Think Metroid Prime: Hunters, only MMO.
Spoiler:
ARGH, THE PAIN!!!
Because phlogiston.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:28 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:The only one that's sensible is a Pokemon MMO. All the other ones are centered around a single character saving the day- what the hell would a MMO Metroid look like? Twenty Samuses grouping to take down Mother Brain? With Pokemon, there are other people doing the same thing you're doing.

Also, something new out of Nintendo? That'll be the day.

Well, I voted Pokemon for the same reason you did, but LoZ is also viable (to a limited extent. I think everyone is going to try to play as the Gerudu race...)

Still, some of the moves might be a bit interesting to implement (such as 'surf'. I mean, having the entire map flood every few seconds...)

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:09 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:I think everyone is going to try to play as the Gerudu race...

As much as I would hate to see a Zelda MMO, if I were to play one I'd want to play as Goron. Because they ROCK!/Horrible, horrible pun
Because phlogiston.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:41 am UTC

Super Smash Brothers Onlinecraft.

Also known as a sign of the Gaming Apocalypse.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 am UTC

I'm going to be different and say it would be Animal Crossing rather than Pokemon. You can already let random online people wander through your town, and because there's no saving the world aspect it would basically just be a glorified chatroom, with maybe a few mini games.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 am UTC

defaultusername wrote:
Vieto wrote:I think everyone is going to try to play as the Gerudu race...

As much as I would hate to see a Zelda MMO, if I were to play one I'd want to play as Goron. Because they ROCK!/Horrible, horrible pun

Well, I have to admit, they are pretty awesome...

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:50 am UTC

Oh man, if it's a Zelda MMO I just want to play a WW style Wizzrobe (I'd be the jerk spamming "Summon Fire Keese swarm"). Every time I got locked in a room with a couple of those guys I thought about how great it would be to be on the other side of that for a little while.
Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is: No.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:38 am UTC

Pokemon is the obvious choice, but LoZ does have some potential IMO.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 pm UTC

Hmm, you know, as soon as someone pointed out how stupid/hard it'd be to do a Metroid one, I suddenly remembered, Samus is a bounty hunter. It shouldn't be too hard to base an MMO around that. Go to Planet X, exterminate Y members of species Z, etc.. Now, that said, the combat, leveling, etc., would be ridiculous. What the hell would the different classes be like?

Oh man, and now suddenly I'm imagining an MMORPG of Mario, where it's like WoW, except it's the Mushroom Kingdom vs. the Koopa Troop! I think I'd have to be completely in favor of any game that gives me a chance to play as one of the Hammer Bros......
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 pm UTC

I don't think a mario mmo would work just because who's going to not want to play as Mario or Luigi? I find no appeal in being a mushroom or generic turtle number 534
Pokemon I couldn't see working just because...well what reason would you have for grouping up with people? Mew-two raids? I couldn't see that happening without everyone complaining that you can't capture the tough raid monsters.
LoZ might be able to work. I don't think it would have the same problem as the Mario MMO just because the races are a bit more interesting. I think playing a Zora might be cool. You still face the problem of what kind of role Link plays in the series. Nobody wants to be a generic sidekick while the blond kid in the green tights is the one doing all the princess saving.
I don't have enough experience with Kirby to comment, but I suspect it would have the Mario MMORPG's problems.
Starfox I could see being something like EVE Online.
Metroid I'm not too sure about. I haven't played any of the recent ones, but I think it would face similar problems to the LoZ mmo.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Also, something new out of Nintendo? That'll be the day.

Even if this was remotely true, it would make Nintendo no different than any other mainstream developer out there.

On topic: Pokemon is the obvious franchise choice, and the Metroid universe could probably work, but that's about it. Maybe that SRPG series I can't remember the name of. Zelda and Mario wouldn't be any fun since their worlds are pretty dependent on Link and Mario being the only thing able to stop the bad guys.

As others have said, though, an MMO doesn't really work with Nintendo's business plan.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Vaniver wrote:Also, something new out of Nintendo? That'll be the day.

Even if this was remotely true, it would make Nintendo no different than any other mainstream developer out there.

On topic: Pokemon is the obvious franchise choice, and the Metroid universe could probably work, but that's about it. Maybe that SRPG series I can't remember the name of. Zelda and Mario wouldn't be any fun since their worlds are pretty dependent on Link and Mario being the only thing able to stop the bad guys.

As others have said, though, an MMO doesn't really work with Nintendo's business plan.

For Zelda, it could always be based during the 7 years where Link is non-existant in OoT

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:58 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:For Zelda, it could always be based during the 7 years where Link is non-existant in OoT
Sure, but you end up with the same problem that Star Wars writers have when writing about the time period between the dissolving of the Senate and the destruction of the first Death Star. Doesn't matter what happens, doesn't matter how bad-assed something is, how you do it, change it, make it... at the end of the day, the Empire Ganon's still going to be in control. No matter what.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:06 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Vieto wrote:For Zelda, it could always be based during the 7 years where Link is non-existant in OoT
Sure, but you end up with the same problem that Star Wars writers have when writing about the time period between the dissolving of the Senate and the destruction of the first Death Star. Doesn't matter what happens, doesn't matter how bad-assed something is, how you do it, change it, make it... at the end of the day, the Empire Ganon's still going to be in control. No matter what.

Ah, point. It would have to be one of those "100 years later, with characters conveniently named correctly" type LOZ games.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

The MMO could always be set with time travel as its base.

As in, you start out during the Ocarina of Time part where Link's a child, but somehow something plot device and can get to the 7 years in between, to after the seven years, to Twilight Princess time, to a Link to the Past Time...

I mean, as a concept, it'd work. It'd be very, very difficult to implement in a non-stupid way, though.

Neuman

Postby Neuman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:08 am UTC

Decker wrote:Pokemon I couldn't see working just because...well what reason would you have for grouping up with people? Mewtwo raids? I couldn't see that happening without everyone complaining that you can't capture the tough raid monsters.
"Oh carp! <Whatever team is appropriate to the region> has outfitted that stolen <Powerful Pokemon> with a mind-control helmet, rocket launchers, and possibly a flamethrower! We gotta rescue that <Powerful Pokemon>!" Done. Totally logical explanation why you can't keep it and why it's taking more than one person to take down.
Decker wrote:LoZ might be able to work. I don't think it would have the same problem as the Mario MMO just because the races are a bit more interesting. I think playing a Zora might be cool. You still face the problem of what kind of role Link plays in the series. Nobody wants to be a generic sidekick while the blond kid in the green tights is the one doing all the princess saving.
There's precedent for a Hero not appearing. The backstory of WW for instance. Granted, that particular case ended with the world being flooded to trap Ganon, but still. Also, the backstory of LttP, in which the Ganon was sealed away by the Knights of Hyrule and the Sages. This was eventually retconned into being OoT, with the Knights being replaced with just Link. The Sages still did stuff though.
Decker wrote:Starfox I could see being something like EVE Online.
Star Fox Online - Like EVE, but we ban the griefers and the difficulty curve isn't a vertical line. Also there's more furries.
Decker wrote:Metroid I'm not too sure about. I haven't played any of the recent ones, but I think it would face similar problems to the LoZ mmo.
See, I'm surprised there are so few Metroid votes, it seems to me like it and Pokemon are the two most natural choices. Samus is a bounty hunter. There's gotta be bounties that don't end with blowing up a planet, but she doesn't have time for things like that. So you have to fight the smuggler with powered armor.

Dason

Postby Dason » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:29 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:I'm going to be different and say it would be Animal Crossing rather than Pokemon. You can already let random online people wander through your town, and because there's no saving the world aspect it would basically just be a glorified chatroom, with maybe a few mini games.

:shock: Would Tom Nook's place ALWAYS be open!? You just ruined some lives my friend.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:19 pm UTC

If Nintendo made a hypothetical MMO, you would never be able to convince me to play it. Nintendo keeps proving they know absolutely nothing about doing things online in a reasonable way, there will be no benefit of the doubt.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Although it's not my favourite series, I cast my vote for Metroid. The acquisition of new weapons that also act as tools to allow exploration of new areas that is Metroid's trademark seems ideally suited to a MMO.
Personally, I'd rather run around with a sword in a Zelda MMO, but I think that would be a case of too many heroes. Zelda also seems very reliant on having one big bad, but once that was killed, what could happen? A Metroid one where you're a bounty hunter potentially allows an unlimited number of planets with different enemies on each.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm UTC

Actually, yeah, I take back what I said before. Metroid could work as a MMO if it was tweeked a bit.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

Neuman wrote:
Decker wrote:Metroid I'm not too sure about. I haven't played any of the recent ones, but I think it would face similar problems to the LoZ mmo.
See, I'm surprised there are so few Metroid votes, it seems to me like it and Pokemon are the two most natural choices. Samus is a bounty hunter. There's gotta be bounties that don't end with blowing up a planet, but she doesn't have time for things like that. So you have to fight the smuggler with powered armor.

I agree. The universe is a big place, and there's no reason that there can't be other people out there that are similarly as powerful or resourceful as Samus, or even moreso. I'm not sure how it would work in MMO format, though.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Pokemon I couldn't see working just because...well what reason would you have for grouping up with people? Mew-two raids? I couldn't see that happening without everyone complaining that you can't capture the tough raid monsters.

Why does there have to be raids, or any such ineluctable trite? If Nintendo were to ever make an MMO, and they won't because they don't have the hardware or forte, Pokemon is already in MMO format and the obvious choice. They'd need only make the same game that they've been making for ten years to be able to accommodate more people with networking code, and they'd have an MMO (a weak one, but undoubtedly successful even if they didn't feel like taking it further). Every other IP mentioned would take a considerable amount of creativity and work to make them even slightly compelling MMO titles, and in the end it would just piss off the fans.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:19 pm UTC

I was under the impression that you could duel with other players over the internet already. What would the point of an MMO be then, besides just being a PC port?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:46 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I was under the impression that you could duel with other players over the internet already. What would the point of an MMO be then, besides just being a PC port?

Why would it be a PC port?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Even if this was remotely true, it would make Nintendo no different than any other mainstream developer out there.
Like, say, Bioware?

Neuman wrote:See, I'm surprised there are so few Metroid votes, it seems to me like it and Pokemon are the two most natural choices. Samus is a bounty hunter. There's gotta be bounties that don't end with blowing up a planet, but she doesn't have time for things like that. So you have to fight the smuggler with powered armor.
Space Bounty Hunter the MMO seems like it would have problems, though. Instead of EVE, where you have the entirety of the space economy to deal with, the focus would just be on finding people and killing them- which, if done honestly, would be a step back from the WoW instance model of everyone being able to kill the local big bad on their own at the same time to the Everquest model of people queuing up to kill someone with a respawn, since the quest would be "the first bounty hunter to bring Space Pirate Pete to justice gets 1000 credits."

Plasma Man wrote:Although it's not my favourite series, I cast my vote for Metroid. The acquisition of new weapons that also act as tools to allow exploration of new areas that is Metroid's trademark seems ideally suited to a MMO.
I can see why that makes a good puzzle-based single-player game, but I don't see how it makes the crossover to MMO. While MMOs have a significant amount of exploration, the rule to remember is that players can always consume novel content faster than you can make it. You need something to keep them logging in between the monthly updates.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:00 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Even if this was remotely true, it would make Nintendo no different than any other mainstream developer out there.
Like, say, Bioware?

The company whose past games include a bunch of D&D games, a sequel to someone else's action platformer, a Star Wars game that was literally D&D with lightsabers, a Sonic game and whose current output is a sequel to a game that's, at best, heavily influenced by D&D and at worst a blatant ripoff, a Star Wars MMO that by all reports is about as formulaic as is possible, and the third game in a franchise? Or is there another Bioware I don't know about?

I'm not knocking Bioware, but to claim that they're any better at making original IPs is laughable.

jahwn lemonjello
Location: 3rd spacial dimension, our universe, Milky way, solar system, Earth, The Americas, USA

Postby jahwn lemonjello » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:34 am UTC

I say Metroid. I initially said Zelda, but now that I think about it, there is only one big hero, Link. A bunch of mini heros would be weird. It would also be hard to input dynamic leveling. Metroid is more based on growth and change and learning about the unknown. The equipment gain is like leveling and would be an easy bridge. As others said, the universe is near limitless and as we learn in corruption, there are many bounty hunters. I would probably play it if they made it.
Hunting will not be a sport until the U.S. government recognizes the right to arm bears.

While there is a bad way to be weird, there is no good way not to be.

All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:37 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:The company whose past games include a bunch of D&D games, a sequel to someone else's action platformer, a Star Wars game that was literally D&D with lightsabers, a Sonic game and whose current output is a sequel to a game that's, at best, heavily influenced by D&D and at worst a blatant ripoff, a Star Wars MMO that by all reports is about as formulaic as is possible, and the third game in a franchise? Or is there another Bioware I don't know about?

I'm not knocking Bioware, but to claim that they're any better at making original IPs is laughable.
Saying "they just make D&D games!" is similar to saying "they just make puzzle games!"- yes, they do. But they're making different D&D games, whereas Nintendo is making the same puzzle games. There's not anything inherently wrong with that- it makes as much sense to do away with Mario as to do away with Mickey Mouse- but whereas companies like Bioware will make Dragon Age or Mass Effect the idea of Nintendo coming out with something new is incongruous with what they've done. Of the IPs in the poll, only one is younger than BioWare- Pokemon came out in 1996, whereas Bioware was founded in 1995. Nintendo innovates, but it doesn't do so at the expense of its icons.

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:39 am UTC

Sadly, the first thing that comes to mind is Friend Codes. I just don't think Nintendo's current mentality will allow them to make a respectable MMO.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:The company whose past games include a bunch of D&D games, a sequel to someone else's action platformer, a Star Wars game that was literally D&D with lightsabers, a Sonic game and whose current output is a sequel to a game that's, at best, heavily influenced by D&D and at worst a blatant ripoff, a Star Wars MMO that by all reports is about as formulaic as is possible, and the third game in a franchise? Or is there another Bioware I don't know about?

Saying "they just make D&D games!" is similar to saying "they just make puzzle games!"- yes, they do. But they're making different D&D games, whereas Nintendo is making the same puzzle games. There's not anything inherently wrong with that- it makes as much sense to do away with Mario as to do away with Mickey Mouse- but whereas companies like Bioware will make Dragon Age or Mass Effect the idea of Nintendo coming out with something new is incongruous with what they've done. Of the IPs in the poll, only one is younger than BioWare- Pokemon came out in 1996, whereas Bioware was founded in 1995. Nintendo innovates, but it doesn't do so at the expense of its icons.

And since 1996, Nintendo has made Pikmin, Chibi Robo, the Wii * games, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Wave Race, 1080^ Snowboarding, Custom Robo, Doshin the Giant, Animal Crossing, Geist, Odama, Excite Truck, Eyeshield 21, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Captain Rainbow, Mole Mania, Hamtaro, Drill Dozer, Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Brain Age, Band Brothers, and lots of new concepts that feature established characters (WarioWare being a good example), not to mention multiple hardware releases and revisions.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

And how many of those has anyone actually heard of? I recognized like, 3 of those.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Most of them had good critical response if not good sales (a number didn't get North American releases, either).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:And how many of those has anyone actually heard of? I recognized like, 3 of those.
You =/= Everyone.

Nintendo has made Pikmin, Chibi Robo, the Wii * games, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Wave Race, 1080^ Snowboarding, Custom Robo, Doshin the Giant, Animal Crossing, Geist, Odama, Excite Truck, Eyeshield 21, Disaster: Day of Crisis, Captain Rainbow, Mole Mania, Hamtaro, Drill Dozer, Nintendogs, Electroplankton, Brain Age, Band Brothers, and lots of new concepts that feature established characters (WarioWare being a good example),

Bolded the ones I recognized immediately. Geist and Odama ring a bell, but I couldn't place them immediately, so I'm not counting them. Hamtaro I also recognize as an anime series, so while having a game isn't a surprise, I.. again.. can't tell you much about the gameplay, so I'm not counting it.

And this is me, with my finger far from the pulse of console gaming.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

I recognize all the ones that ST did, along with Electroplankton. Drill Dozer rings a bell, but I can't place it.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:And how many of those has anyone actually heard of? I recognized like, 3 of those.
You =/= Everyone.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but then:
Endless Mike wrote:Most of them had good critical response if not good sales

That would seem to imply I'm not the only one. Generally it would seem and outcome like that is a result of nobody knowing about the game. That, or being released right next to Call of Halo 8.

Return to “Gaming”