An Argument of Terms

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Brando2600
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 pm UTC

An Argument of Terms

Postby Brando2600 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 am UTC

So the other day my friends and I got into a debate over what to call it when two people are playing a splitscreen game on the same screen and one person "Views" the other persons screen to cheat.


We googled to see what term would get more results:

I have called it "Screen Peaking". 3rd place in results

Friend 2 says "Screen Spying". 2nd place in results

Friend 1 says "Screen Looking". 1st place in results



What do you say?

Xaddak
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:28 pm UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Xaddak » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:26 am UTC

You probably should have made this a poll.

Also, I really, really hope you meant "peeking", not "peaking".

And yeah... it's called screen looking or screen watching. Everything else is just wrong.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

User avatar
mmmcannibalism
Posts: 2150
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby mmmcannibalism » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 am UTC

It is generallyl refered to as screen hopping in my area.
Izawwlgood wrote:I for one would happily live on an island as a fuzzy seal-human.

Oregonaut wrote:Damn fetuses and their terroist plots.

Greatgreen
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:35 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Greatgreen » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:41 am UTC

My group of friends have always just called it "screening", but that could just be a simplification of its origins. I haven't given it much thought, really.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Axman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:47 am UTC

It's called "pwning" and it roxxorz.

User avatar
Josephine
Posts: 2142
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Josephine » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 am UTC

I call it screen peeking. It's especially fun to look at someone else's screen while playing an RTS.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

User avatar
LuNatic
Posts: 973
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:21 am UTC
Location: The land of Aus

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby LuNatic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 am UTC

I call it 'screen-watching', or on a more silly note 'screen-hacking*'. It's considered bad form but we don't generally do anything to stop it, or penalise it.

*Yes, I know, nothing to do with actual hacking, the term is tongue-in-cheek.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby EmptySet » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

I've generally heard "screen watching".

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby ProZac » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:14 pm UTC

Always been screen looking. Peeking and Watching just sound strange.

User avatar
Indon
Posts: 4433
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:21 pm UTC
Location: Alabama :(
Contact:

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Indon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

I've heard "screen watching".
So, I like talking. So if you want to talk about something with me, feel free to send me a PM.

My blog, now rarely updated.

Image

legion
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:03 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby legion » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 pm UTC

Google says the following:

"screen looking" - 58,800 hits
"screen watching" - 58,400 hits
"screen peeking" - 3,990 hits

Looks like "screen looking" and "screen watching" are in the same distribution frequency.

User avatar
Adacore
Posts: 2755
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:35 pm UTC
Location: 한국 창원

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Adacore » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

I think a more accurate Google search is this, as it eliminates (most of the) hits where people are looking at or watching screens for legitimate purposes in non-split-screen contexts:

"split screen" AND" screen looking": 532
"split screen" AND "screen watching": 478
"split screen" AND "screen peeking": 687

So by that metric they're all used with comparable frequency, with "screen peeking" the marginal winner. I'd certainly use "screen peeking" for the practice if I deemed it illicit, "screen watching" more generally. "Screen looking" just sounds wrong to me, personally.

EDIT: For "splitscreen" as a single word, the results are as follows:

looking: 708
watching: 549
peeking: 163

So, given that the progression from separate words to hyphenation to a single word is generally a good indicator of the passage of time in linguistic terms, perhaps "peeking" used to be prevalent back when "split screen" was new and the linguistic convention was to separate the words, but "looking" is more common in recent times, with the convention being to concatenate to simply "splitscreen"?

...or am I reading too much into this?

User avatar
lulzfish
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:17 am UTC

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby lulzfish » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:08 pm UTC

I always call it screen-watching, and that's what I've heard it called.

User avatar
GonzoMcFonzo
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:19 pm UTC
Location: The D of C

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby GonzoMcFonzo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 am UTC

I always just called it winning :P

More seriously, my friends have always just called it screen watching or occasionally screen looking. I think I'm gonna try to get screen hacking to catch on though.
JayDee wrote:"What is the difference between erotic and kinky? Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole Dinosaur."

User avatar
Gopher of Pern
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am UTC
Location: Central Coast, Australia

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Gopher of Pern » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:31 am UTC

Screen peeking, or screen cheating around here. I tended to do it alot, until everyone else figured out I was using it to kick everyone's ass. Then I tried to stop, but it can be quite difficult sometimes. Nowadays I rarely play split screen competitively, so It doesn't matter if I screen cheat.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

User avatar
Plasma Man
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 am UTC
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Plasma Man » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 pm UTC

When playing split-screen multiplayer with my friends, screen looking (our term for it) is accepted and expected. After all, everyone can do it, so it's not like it's unfair.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

User avatar
Pez Dispens3r
is not a stick figure.
Posts: 2079
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:08 am UTC
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: An Argument of Terms

Postby Pez Dispens3r » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

Pfft, looking at someone's screen is fine if you have the map memorized and all, but it leaves you temporarily vulnerable.

What's worse is being able to hear where everyone is.
Axman wrote:It's called "pwning" and it roxxorz.

And this is called trolling!
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I feel like you're probably an ocelot, and I feel like I want to eat you. Feeling is fun!
this isn't my cow


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests