Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aleflamedyud » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... It's funny because, y'know, Germans, "exterminate", and... Ah, forget it.

I always make sure not to talk about that incident with a German person. If they ask, I mention that my ancestors left Germany 30 years before it happened.

That way, if a German really comes across as a total tool, I can mention the Holocaust and get them to STFU.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:16 pm UTC

Well, no, not if they're a denier.

Anywho.. the space prototype makes me feel a little hope again. If nothing else, it appears that I can seed planets with the creatures I choose.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

I just wish it was September so I had something to do besides school work, being bored, and playing more team fortress.

Even the Wal-Mart ads here are suggesting taking up masturbation. The only thing it was missing in that incredibly poorly arranged ad was tissues.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

... it's August 26th. You've got less than two weeks. You can deal.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:... it's August 26th. You've got less than two weeks. You can deal.

I can, still, let me put it this way. Most of my classes are "so hard" that today a professor literally told the class how to read a book. Gen eds for the loss.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

lucky lucky bitches.... Being from Scotland means i gotta freekin w8 till the 12 of Dec. for it to come out on PC... and im toying with getting it for the Wii instead, meaning a longer wait. :(
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:lucky lucky bitches.... Being from Scotland means i gotta freekin w8 till the 12 of Dec. for it to come out on PC... and im toying with getting it for the Wii instead, meaning a longer wait. :(

Ouch, because most of Europe gets it on Sept 5th.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:18 pm UTC

Import it!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:02 am UTC

I was really hoping that water simulator would have been more interesting.

Only ten more days. :D

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 pm UTC

ShaKri wrote:lucky lucky bitches.... Being from Scotland means i gotta freekin w8 till the 12 of Dec. for it to come out on PC... and im toying with getting it for the Wii instead, meaning a longer wait. :(

NO! You're wrong! We get it on Sept 5th too... don't we!? Please say we do...

... :(

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:

NO! You're wrong! We get it on Sept 5th too... don't we!? Please say we do...

... :(

Nope, Google tells me we actually got it on March 8th 2008! How did we not notice?

...stupid delays. Though I'd prefer a good, delayed game than a rushed, crappy game.

It is the 7th though, to my knowledge.

KingLoser
Obnoxious Distraction

Postby KingLoser » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:59 pm UTC

This is pretty sweet.

Can't wait for this game.. only realised the date today, not long to go! (and so much hardware swapping to do...)
Add me on: Last.fm | Facebook | Flickr doodz.
Is minic a gheibhean beal oscailt díog dúnta.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

I can't frickin' get the demo to work.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:50 pm UTC

I guess I'm gonna have to try out the prototype thingies. What are the best ones? I'm starting with space, but what should I try afterward?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Still not convinced there's any actual gameplay inside the Spore Sandbox.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

r1chard wrote:Still not convinced there's any actual gameplay inside the Spore Sandbox.

Still not convinced there's any actual gameplay inside the LittleBigPlanet Sandbox.

aion7 wrote:I guess I'm gonna have to try out the prototype thingies. What are the best ones? I'm starting with space, but what should I try afterward?

In my opinion, that and City Maze were the only ones worth checking out. I couldn't make the slightest bit of sense of the SPUG prototype, and most of the others are just little detail things they worked out rather than actual gameplay prototypes. You could argue that some of those prototypes do affect gameplay, but I say bleh to you!

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Took me a while to figure out that ecological diversity is a good thing in Space. The more species you have, the greater the populations of each.

Still can't get anything at all to infest my oceans.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Took me a while to figure out that ecological diversity is a good thing in Space. The more species you have, the greater the populations of each.

Still can't get anything at all to infest my oceans.

Really, because I had a group that flooded all planets and then infested the oceans.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:08 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
r1chard wrote:Still not convinced there's any actual gameplay inside the Spore Sandbox.

Still not convinced there's any actual gameplay inside the LittleBigPlanet Sandbox.

LBP comes shipped with 50 levels (approx 12 hours) of platforming gameplay. One of the main reasons for the sandbox in the game is to create more gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting Spore because even without gameplay it might still be a fun sandbox.

I'm just not convinced - on the face of the information I've absorbed, including innumerable interviews and videos - that there's much to it except creating creatures / buildings / vehicles (which as previously discussed might not actually offer the player all that much control over the game) and progressing them through a bunch of pretty inflexible stages of the game, with probably very little actual challenge along the way.

Sorry, that sentence was too long :)

And then once you hit the UFO stage you're just sandboxing all the way ... at least with LBP there's a point to the sandboxing (ie. creating something that others can experience).

Pai

Postby Pai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:30 am UTC

aion7 wrote:So, I was just re-watching a bunch of Spore videos on GameTrailers, and I heard something in an interview that I never noticed before. You can edit your music, and upload it the same way you can upload a creature or vehicle. Does anyone know how that will be used? Will the music you edit still be procedurally generated, just along your guidelines, or will it loop? Or will you always be hearing user created music, but it chooses the track based on what's happening? Or has the feature been dropped entirely?

You can edit 'theme music' for your Civilization; it plays whenever you're at one of your cities. I believe all Civs will have their own unique melody. You can procedurally generate a random theme or compose your own. I saw a bit of the editor in one of the demos; it looks like you choose the basic notes and tempo, but I don't know much more than that.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

... So the general consensus is that the game is still worth getting, beside the things not included from the hype?

(I've only played around with the creature creator once, didn't see why it's so amazingly great - I couldn't see anything I could actually DO with the creature.)
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm UTC

Pai wrote:You can edit 'theme music' for your Civilization; it plays whenever you're at one of your cities. I believe all Civs will have their own unique melody. You can procedurally generate a random theme or compose your own. I saw a bit of the editor in one of the demos; it looks like you choose the basic notes and tempo, but I don't know much more than that.

Ohh. That's sorta cool. I bet around half the people that compose their own will make the Imperial March.

I will make the FFVI battle theme if at all possible.

And Phen, of course you couldn't do anything with the creature. The creator was released on it's own. There was no real gameplay included, just the creator.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:30 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:
Pai wrote:You can edit 'theme music' for your Civilization; it plays whenever you're at one of your cities. I believe all Civs will have their own unique melody. You can procedurally generate a random theme or compose your own. I saw a bit of the editor in one of the demos; it looks like you choose the basic notes and tempo, but I don't know much more than that.

Ohh. That's sorta cool. I bet around half the people that compose their own will make the Imperial March.

I will make the FFVI battle theme if at all possible.

And Phen, of course you couldn't do anything with the creature. The creator was released on it's own. There was no real gameplay included, just the creator.

Well, I'll take the Imperial March over a city playing Sweet Home Alabama or Charlie Daniels any day.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

r1chard wrote:And then once you hit the UFO stage you're just sandboxing all the way ... at least with LBP there's a point to the sandboxing (ie. creating something that others can experience).

So.. should I insert the various statements about how whatever you create will go out to the interotubes and be pulled down by other users as filler for their galaxy and such, making it so that the Horrible Deathbeast 9000-o-matic you make should be the predator for their FluffyBunnyWithLasers civ? Or did they remove that part when I wasn't paying attention?

Glade

Postby Glade » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:53 pm UTC

r1chard wrote:And then once you hit the UFO stage you're just sandboxing all the way ... at least with LBP there's a point to the sandboxing (ie. creating something that others can experience).

Once you hit Space, you can...
  • Expand your empire
  • Do missions
  • Head for the Galaxy's Center
  • Attack other races
  • Form alliances
  • Upgrade your ship
  • Terraform custom worlds (which others can experience)
  • Colonize far-flung planets
  • Explore strange new worlds created by other players
  • Seek out new life and new civilizations
  • Boldly go where no-one has gone before

And you can also go back to the four other phases and try drastically different ways of playing, create multitudes of different creatures, vehicles, and buildings (which others can also experience), and experience other peoples' creations for yourself.

Oh, and Spore has over 500,000 planets* (approx 2000 hours (if you spending just 15 seconds per planet)) of space-faring gameplay.

*Figure in dispute. Lowest number shown. Largest found: 4,000,000,000.

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:And Phen, of course you couldn't do anything with the creature. The creator was released on it's own. There was no real gameplay included, just the creator.

I'm aware of that. I just don't get the hysteria about it.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:07 pm UTC

Did you get the free one or the paid one? The paid one was a lot better, me and Matt spent absolutely hours just learning how to do different things with it. Some awesome creatures were made during this time.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Did you get the free one or the paid one? The paid one was a lot better, me and Matt spent absolutely hours just learning how to do different things with it. Some awesome creatures were made during this time.

I still contend that my Grassy Knoll creature is completely awesome.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I picked up the free one. It was ok. Enough to make me want more. A little anxious. Hopefully it doesn't suck. I don't think it will though.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

So.. should I insert the various statements about how whatever you create will go out to the interotubes and be pulled down by other users as filler for their galaxy and such, making it so that the Horrible Deathbeast 9000-o-matic you make should be the predator for their FluffyBunnyWithLasers civ? Or did they remove that part when I wasn't paying attention?

Yes, I'm aware that the game has user-created content. As far as I'm aware though you can't say "here's a planet I created and populated, download it" - your game is randomly populated. I don't know for sure, but I assume you'll be able to access creation information for the random stuff that makes it into your game, but not control it.

Glade wrote:Once you hit Space, you can...

And there you list a whole lot of sandboxing (and I addressed my concerns about sharing above). Though you did include "do missions" which would be gameplay (ie. challenge/response) but I've not heard this mentioned before ... do you have something you could point to with more info on this?

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:07 pm UTC

Spore is the latest game from maxis.
Games from maxis are all sandboxes.

Complaining about a sandbox game being a sandbox game seems kind of pointless. I mean, there'll be input (like other aliens attacking you, or the interplanetary diplomacy thing) but it's still a sandbox. Just like Sim City, the Sims, etc etc... You have things that are annoyances (like power, or hunger) but you don't necessarily have to follow them. And there's a general arch (village to city, starting a career to big family) but you don't really have to follow that either.

I won't get littlebigplanet. Why? Because I don't have a ps3. But, if I had one, I'd get it. No questions asked. It looks nifty. Or at least the videos from a year ago looked nifty. I don't really think the two games are on the same level.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Complaining about a sandbox game being a sandbox game seems kind of pointless.

I'm clearly not explaining myself well enough.

I'll be getting Spore even just for its sandbox.

I'm just not convinced that there's much more to the game than that (based on the interviews and videos I've ingested so far.) There's been a couple of hints now in response to my concerns that there is more to the game (in terms of structured gameplay), and that's reassuring.

I still think the comparison to LBP is legitimate :) In both games the creators have handed the player a lot of power to easily create new content. That's ground-breaking and cool because previously players were stuck with creating content in really hard-to-use editing environments (basically the game dev internal development tools) mostly using the assets that the game dev companies created. My 4-year-old daughter has a blast creating creatures in Spore by herself - she's picked up all the controls for the editor in no time. That's freakin' awesome. It's way more usable than most of the crappy Flash web games on kids' websites. She's incredibly excited by Sackpeople and creating stuff in LBP. When I was 4 ... :)

A key difference for me though is that the sharing in LBP is explicit - you create something and say to (your friends or the world) "here's this thing I made, have a look / play". In Spore you create something and it goes into the cloud and is pulled randomly into other people's games. As far as I know based on what I've learned of the game there is no "here's this cool planet I terraformed and populated, go have a look".

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:08 am UTC

I'm fairly sure that you can give people a code to show them something you made. By that I mean they can zoom in on the planet you gave them the code for, and stuff like that. That feature might have been removed since I last heard of it, though.

I don't think the comparison between Spore and LBP is valid, because in Spore

A) Creation is mandatory.
B) You don't have to actively try to see other people's creations. They are automatically put into your game.
C) You don't just see one person's creation at a time.
D) Everything is connected. People don't make levels, they add the same universe as others.
E) If you see the same user-created content more than once, it will not be exactly the same each time.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Glade

Postby Glade » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:44 am UTC

r1chard wrote:
Glade wrote:Once you hit Space, you can...

And there you list a whole lot of sandboxing (and I addressed my concerns about sharing above). Though you did include "do missions" which would be gameplay (ie. challenge/response) but I've not heard this mentioned before ... do you have something you could point to with more info on this?

Looking back now, I can't find where I saw it, although that may have something to do with me continually getting sidetracked.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:53 am UTC

Glade wrote:Looking back now, I can't find where I saw it, although that may have something to do with me continually getting sidetracked.

Well, there are some missions in the prototype.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:10 am UTC

r1chard wrote:
Jessica wrote:Complaining about a sandbox game being a sandbox game seems kind of pointless.

I'm clearly not explaining myself well enough.

I'll be getting Spore even just for its sandbox.

I'm just not convinced that there's much more to the game than that (based on the interviews and videos I've ingested so far.) There's been a couple of hints now in response to my concerns that there is more to the game (in terms of structured gameplay), and that's reassuring.

I still think the comparison to LBP is legitimate :) In both games the creators have handed the player a lot of power to easily create new content. That's ground-breaking and cool because previously players were stuck with creating content in really hard-to-use editing environments (basically the game dev internal development tools) mostly using the assets that the game dev companies created. My 4-year-old daughter has a blast creating creatures in Spore by herself - she's picked up all the controls for the editor in no time. That's freakin' awesome. It's way more usable than most of the crappy Flash web games on kids' websites. She's incredibly excited by Sackpeople and creating stuff in LBP. When I was 4 ... :)

A key difference for me though is that the sharing in LBP is explicit - you create something and say to (your friends or the world) "here's this thing I made, have a look / play". In Spore you create something and it goes into the cloud and is pulled randomly into other people's games. As far as I know based on what I've learned of the game there is no "here's this cool planet I terraformed and populated, go have a look".

And lets face it, getting procedural generation to work is fucking awesome in and of itself.

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 am UTC

There definitely are missions. I think it was mentioned in the review someone posted here already, as well as a couple recent videos that I can't find right now.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:08 am UTC

LBP is like portal on crack (a massive puzzle game where user creation is highly supported and encouraged.)
Spore is like sim city on crack (a sandbox game where practically everything is sandboxable.)

They have some similarities, but one is going to have what you're considering gameplay (puzzles in LBP are the point of the game). Spore may have specific missions. I know that it's the first in the simX line which actually has an end (getting to the centre of the galaxy and doing something there). But, as it's a Maxis game, I don't see the missions or linear game play being a big deal. kind of like a random sidequest every now and again.

I guess they're similar, but at their core they're very different games. It sounds to me that you're just not a fan of pure sandboxes like simcity. Which is fine.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:53 am UTC

Sometimes it is nice to have a game that isn't constantly telling me what I'm supposed to do next.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:54 am UTC

The potential problem with Spore, however, is that there simply isn't going to be anything to do next.

Return to “Gaming”