Mass Effect 2.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Eseell

Re: Mass Effect 2.

Postby Eseell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:26 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Dark567 wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:The more important question is... anyone surprised that Phil LaMarr is in it? Anyone? No? Exactly.

Wait you mean Hermes? Okay got it now.

Hermes.. Marvin..Jack...Mr. Sunshine... Irwin's Dad/Dracula... The Earth King.. Lancelot.. John Stewart.. Captain Riiken... Static...

Dude's in goddamn everything.

For me he'll always be Vamp. I didn't realize that Tricia Helfer was Kerrigan, though.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

The question is, why wasn't Nathan Fillion in the game?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:The question is, why wasn't Nathan Fillion in the game?

Who? Oh, Castle from Castle! :P

He should totally be in it. He did Halo 3...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:I didn't realize that Tricia Helfer was Kerrigan, though.

She isn't. Or wasn't. She is in SC2, though. But Kerrigan in SC2 never felt right to me.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:02 pm UTC

Well, there you go.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 am UTC

There is now an official femshep. A pretty, blond haired, blue eyed, white woman. Chosen by the player base.

edit: These were the choices.
Last edited by Ryom on Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:25 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 am UTC

Raise your hand if you're surprised.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:31 am UTC

I'd have gone with #1 or #4. Number 1 because she is basically the female version of maleshep (white, short brown hair, attractive) or number 4 just for the contrast to the default maleshep... though I could do without that haircut on #4.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:48 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5vlPXHJG8
Mass effect 3 graphics analysis

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:13 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5vlPXHJG8
Mass effect 3 graphics analysis

There is actually an ME3 thread somewhere. I think it fell off the first page.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

I keep hearing that natural blonds won't exist in, like, a hundred years or something.
Which makes this kind of funny.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Thought that was redheads.
Source on why the blonde thing is bullshit
Source on why the redhead thing is also bullshit

So there's that. Of the comments I could make - I'm just going to leave it as "I was wrong and need to remember to verify pretty much everything."
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:46 pm UTC

You are like my own little personal raincloud.

(Seriously though. Thanks for the correction.)
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

Kraka-DOOM!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

I kind of like Penny-Arcade's take on the blonde femshep.

My femshep, by the way, looks rather like I would imagine Minerva McGonagall did in her late twenties/early thirties. Dark hair in a tight bun and a permanent sour expression. And glowing scars, which I assume McGonagall also had.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:I kind of like Penny-Arcade's take on the blonde femshep.
Yea, I think they make a good point really, it may not be your favourite, but... who isn't playing a customized shep anyway? Also, I loved this:
Tycho wrote:Are we still allowed to hope that our daughters settle down with a nice human, irrespective of gender, even though it forecloses the possibility of couplings with sentient minerals or bepedal reptoids? I hope this is something a father is still allowed to do.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

I think what bothers me about the femShep that was chosen is the hair. Not that its blond, which is fine, but the cut. It's absolutely not a cut a soldier would wear. I liked how most of the default cuts in ME2 had Shep with either short hair or worn up in a bun, because that actually what a soldier wears.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

Well Shepard's about as Special Forces as Special Forces gets, and grooming standards don't always apply to SF, so they've got an excuse for ignoring them.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

I understand no ones gonna tell Shep how to cut her hair. The problem is Shepard doesn't seem like she would be willing to sacrifice utility in the name of style....
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:I understand no ones gonna tell Shep how to cut her hair. The problem is Shepard doesn't seem like she would be willing to sacrifice utility in the name of style....

The Shepards have always been about style

Spoiler:

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 pm UTC

That will forever haunt my dreams.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

I don't like the new FemShep, mostly because I'm pretty sure it's impossible to make using the character editor. The choices really sucked, even mine was better than the other 5!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:56 am UTC

I'm just hoping they improve the character editor to make it truly indicative of what you'll see in game, and to allow you to edit an imported face as well.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:12 am UTC

I just completed Mass Effect 2. It would have been a pretty awesome but had a fairly weak plot compared to ME1. I did find it had lots of science fiction references throughout the ME universe. Here's a partial list of stuff I found: (or were they so obvious to that it didn't need mentioning?)
Spoiler:
-Jack is kinda like Firefly's River Tam; being experimented since childhood and eventually developed into a badass warrior, on the run from the evil organization that "created" her. (although the difference is, River is absolutely cute and adorable, but Jack's a bitch).

-the relationship between Salarians and Krogans reminded me of Pupetters and Kzin in Larry Niven's Ringworld. One species tried to control the population of the other, though it's been a while since I read Ringworld, I may remember it wrongly. In Ringworld, the Puppeteer species live on an armada of ships constantly travelling through space, kinda like the Quarian Flotilla?

-Citadel's Keepers are like the Biots in Arthur C. Clarke's Rama. They seem to be mechanical janitors maintaining the superstructure, while completely ignoring the humans/aliens that come to occupy the structure.

-The "Blue Sun" mercenaries. I seem to remember a mysterious company called "Blue Sun" in Firefly.

-Terminus, Spacers, etc. Key terminology in Asimov's Foundation universe.

-My absolute favourite reference is Joker's line: "if you start singing Daisy Bell then I'm done!" When he said that I was giggling with joy, and completely forgotten that a freakin' Collector ship was invading Normandy, and people are dying everywhere.

I played through both games as the default female Shepard (am I the only one who think she's cute?). I'm not liking the new options for the new ME3 FemShep, I'm too attached to the original brown-haired one.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:08 am UTC

The puppeteers are moving three entire planets out of the galaxy. Their entire population save for a few of the "insane" ones are leaving the galaxy on their own planets.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

If we're talking references, the Reapers share an enormous number of things in common with the Wolves/Inhibitors from Alastair Reynolds' books.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:42 pm UTC

My personal favourite (just because I love the book it's referencing) is that during LotSB you can see a wanted photo of Jack. The photo is the sterotypical "standing in front of height marks, prisoner number overlaid" style. Prisoner number? 24601.

Anyhow, there are approximately 1 billion shout outs in Mass Effect, and TvTropes is there to help once again. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... MassEffect
Ibid: Most prolific author in academia

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:16 am UTC

Reading the list on ME1 makes me wanna replay that game again...

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:51 am UTC

This was one of the concept covers for ME1, I think it would fit ME3 perfectly.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

Ibid wrote:My personal favourite (just because I love the book it's referencing) is that during LotSB you can see a wanted photo of Jack. The photo is the sterotypical "standing in front of height marks, prisoner number overlaid" style. Prisoner number? 24601.

Anyhow, there are approximately 1 billion shout outs in Mass Effect, and TvTropes is there to help once again. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... MassEffect

God damn you. Now I'm not going to get fuck all done at work today. Thanks a lot.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:48 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:The puppeteers are moving three entire planets out of the galaxy. Their entire population save for a few of the "insane" ones are leaving the galaxy on their own planets.

To nitpick its the homeworld and 4 farming worlds that they're moving out of the galaxy, at least in Ringworld.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:24 pm UTC

Eh, I was close. It's been a number of years since I've read the books too :)

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:54 pm UTC

Obby wrote:
Ibid wrote:My personal favourite (just because I love the book it's referencing) is that during LotSB you can see a wanted photo of Jack. The photo is the sterotypical "standing in front of height marks, prisoner number overlaid" style. Prisoner number? 24601.

God damn you. Now I'm not going to get fuck all done at work today. Thanks a lot.

i like to think this is why Garrus is always busy calibrating. He never actually gets around to it, just TvTropes.

mercuryseven

Postby mercuryseven » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:19 am UTC

Ibid wrote:
Obby wrote:

i like to think this is why Garrus is always busy calibrating. He never actually gets around to it, just TvTropes.

hmm...I thought he was busy doing "research".

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Ah, yes. "Research."

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 am UTC

TvTropes explains why he's always on the computer, hypothosis, proven!

Eseell wrote:Ah, yes. "Research."

We have dismissed that claim.

Nath

Postby Nath » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Applying Unity to this thread, since I'm currently playing ME2 for the first time.

If I plan to play ME3 eventually, what DLC is worth it? All the DLC are kind of stupidly priced at this point, given that I got the full game for $5, but I'll probably pick up the Shadow Broker one and Arrival because of their likely relevance to the overall plot. I've got the ones that came with Cerberus. Overlord and Kasumi are the ones I'm undecided about. Are they worth it for their consequences in ME3? Are they worth it in their own right?

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:28 am UTC

None of the DLC has a huge bearing on ME3, but all of them are referenced. I really liked Overlord; it was probably my favorite DLC (and it's fairly long). Kasumi was fun but short, however bonus points for another team member.
Summum ius, summa iniuria.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:48 am UTC

All of them are actually quite fun; much better than the ME1 DLC.

In order, I'd probably do Shadow Broker, then Arrival, then Kasumi's, then Overlord. Note that all of them have minor effects on ME3 as well.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:02 am UTC

Plot-wise, Arrival is the most important to ME3. However, Arrival was the only DLC that I played and when going through ME3 I felt that there were some things being talked about (particularly with Liara) that I didn't understand and that I was missing backstory. So I would also recommend at least Lair of the Shadow Broker because of that.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Return to “Gaming”