Mass Effect 2.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Mass Effect 2.

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:29 pm UTC

So I finally finished ME1 and imported my character into this game. I may go back to ME1 and finish all the sidequests I didn't realize I was supposed to be doing when I blitzed through the entire game... but that's a rant I've made before for a different time.....

Anyway, I had kick ass face scars in ME1 - the ones across the cheeks, like Shep had a helmet smash into her face at one point before the game and leave really horrible scars...... and I start ME2, go through the opening bits and... my scars are gone.

Damnit. I liked those scars.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:41 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:
Spoiler:
How does this even begin to make sense? A human Reaper? What does that even mean? Why would you want to create a Reaper with a human shape, what will you achieve? How is this better at destroying stuff than a Reaper in ship form? We all saw what Sovereign could do. Not as if the Reapers require very sophisticated strategies if they have invincible ships and are content with just killing everybody.

Spoiler:
The Reapers need a reason to create the organic life forms. Their name -- Harvesters -- gives a clue. They create a garden for organic technical life, let it grow for a while, then come back and harvest the species. One thing they do is create a Reaper based off a species.

The shape doesn't matter -- I could see, however, an advantage to make it roughly the right shape, rather than rebuild the motor functions from scratch. Possibly feedback between nervous system and body impacts development -- and the goal is to harvest what is interesting.

Spoiler:
Regarding the final moments of the Collector base (I chose to blow it up): Is that a signal being sent to the Reapers in Darkspace? Why did they wait until the final moment with that? Why didn't they do it straight away, and have the Reapers descend on totally an unsuspecting alliance?

Spoiler:
Because the alliance really isn't a threat. They aren't afraid of the biologicals. The biologicals are like crops to be eaten, not an enemy to be crushed.

Harbringer is just activating a "cheap" solution. When that fails, they follow through on the harvest technique (as humans defeating Harbringer makes them interesting -- before wiping them out, they want to sample them). Maybe the failure isn't all that rare -- and harvesting them is step 2.

We can see what they did to the precursors -- turning them into those servants -- and humanity arguably did a better job of dealing with the invasion.

It is only when the harvest failed that they go to step 3. Which is "oh well, the crop has spoiled. Clear the field". It is probably more expensive to fly to this space manually than just jumping in at the citadel. So they send the signal (harvest failed), and the ships wake up and start moving.

Remember that this is a civilization that lives for thousands or millions of years. Sleeping for thousands of years is just something you do to pass the time.

So the game isn't completely over yet. I can still fly around and do quests. I decide I'll talk to my crew about what happened. Starting with my eternal favourite, Mordin:
"Wanna talk?"
"Nah, not right now, I'm testing this biological weapon..."

Miranda:
"Tying up some loose ends for Cerberus. Been thinking of our earlier conversation. I think it's crazy, but if you're interested..."

And then I brought Legion along on a trip to Illium, and no-one reacted. So I clicked "Exit game".

Ya, they got slack. The game ended -- they let you do more stuff, but they put minimal effort into it.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:41 pm UTC

Thadlerian wrote:
And then it strikes me how everything is the same: If boxes are present, there will be a fight, and the fights are all similar. Hide, watch enemies pour out, use disruptor if they have shields or mechs, use AP if they have armor, and use incendiary in general. Use assault rifle and automatic sniper rifle. Pistol holds too little ammo. Shotgun requires close proximity, which means you have to leave cover. Cain is cool. No use for biotics, hammering enemies with gunfire is simpler, and just as effective. Maybe if I had played on higher difficulty than normal, it'd be of more use.

(repost I know)

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm UTC

So what your saying is that I need to replay with a class that's not soldier.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:So what your saying is that I need to replay with a class that's not soldier.

Soldier is the least fun class to play. Adept and Vanguard are a blast.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:59 pm UTC

Wouldn't that be highly subjective? I quite like Soldier since it's the only class that can use assault rifles. And I like assault rifles. Although Vanguard is going to be my next play-through during this vacation.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:08 pm UTC

ArgonV wrote:Wouldn't that be highly subjective? I quite like Soldier since it's the only class that can use assault rifles. And I like assault rifles. Although Vanguard is going to be my next play-through during this vacation.

I think every class can train assault rifles halfway through the game.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:14 am UTC

There was a discussion regarding pistols in the Mass Effect series on the Bioware board. I'd like any thoughts you have about my post.

Mass accelerator tech (in the ME universe) is dependent on the length of the barrel. Longer barrel = more power, which is why they have those main cannons take up the entire length of the dreadnaughts.

Pistols = short barrel
Short barrel = low power

Why is why it didn't make much sense in ME2 to have such powerful pistols. Given how mass acceleration tech works the pistols should always have been relegated to true sidearms (in the series), something you draw when you can't use your primary weapon.

In my vision, the pistols would have been a hotkey quickfire (like a melee strike) which allows you to draw and fire your sidearm without holstering your primary (it would simply be held downward in the other hand) to finish off weakened enemies without the need to use another 500 damage shot from your 12-round widow or claymore to take off 10 health. Once you release the hotkey the pistol is reholstered and the primary is lifted back into both hands. Given its mechanic, it should have stayed as a cooling weapon, not heatsinked.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm UTC

Come to think of it, I don't think I've played ME2 as an adept or vanguard yet. I guess that's what I'll be doing for the next few evenings.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:47 pm UTC

I'm playing through the Mass Effects now, and I just got Grunt. I'm playing soldier, and... wow. I really can't get over how good Mass Effect 2 is :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Shepard.
Wrex.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Spoiler:
Shepard.
Wrex.

Sitting in a tree.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Ortus
Fluffy

Postby Ortus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:37 pm UTC

K-I-S-S-I-N-G!

Anyways, editing the game files to allow your adept to wield an assault rifle from the start is relatively simple, and things like editing the mattock to be a two round burst-fire weapon are also pretty easy. If you'd like to do that, let me know and I'll post exactly what to change to make it work.
roband wrote:Face, yes. Chest, probably. Pubic area, maybe. Scrotum, not a fucking chance.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

I tried going back on insane and playing as a Vanguard. I didn't like it. The only time I could use Charge without insta-dying was if I had already picked off most of the enemy team and there were one or two left.
Also,
Spoiler:
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:28 pm UTC

I raise you one!
Attachments
1297363932538.jpg

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:00 am UTC

I honestly don't think Vanguard is that exciting, either. I'm not saying it's bad, but I wasn't thinking "Oh wows this is way better than all the other classes!"

I agree that soldier is the most boring class, though. It's almost like doing a no-powers run, except that half of every fight occurs slow motion because you're spamming adrenaline rush constantly.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:51 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:I honestly don't think Vanguard is that exciting, either. I'm not saying it's bad, but I wasn't thinking "Oh wows this is way better than all the other classes!"

I agree that soldier is the most boring class, though. It's almost like doing a no-powers run, except that half of every fight occurs slow motion because you're spamming adrenaline rush constantly.

I only ever use AR really occasionally. I do find it really fun because of the squad mechanic, though - positioning your guys, getting them to use powers... you don't need to be the guy to get their abilities :D

I recently got uber-pull with Jacob. It pulls everyone in a certain area towards him - I can't wait to use it on a bunch of husks!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Just make sure it's only husks, no abominations ;)

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:21 pm UTC

I just finished another playthrough, this time as an Adept.

Singularity made all of the Husk fights trivial... they get insta-killed by singularity. I picked "wide singularity" to get as many as possible. So, strategy is to find a chokepoint, put a singularity down, and watch the husks suicide on the mini black hole. That one ability can easily take out ten husks or more before dissolving.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:36 am UTC

I found Vanguard ridiculously fun to do. I don't play on Insane, though.

Re: Husks and Singularity - Yeah, they're insta-gibbed by anything that lifts their feet off the ground. Pull, Singularity, and Throw should all get them.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:52 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Re: Husks and Singularity - Yeah, they're insta-gibbed by anything that lifts their feet off the ground. Pull, Singularity, and Throw should all get them.

This is why Adept is the best class. Loads of husks coming towards me and not enuff dakka? Throw field. Sorted.

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Jack21222 wrote:
ArgonV wrote:Wouldn't that be highly subjective? I quite like Soldier since it's the only class that can use assault rifles. And I like assault rifles. Although Vanguard is going to be my next play-through during this vacation.

I think every class can train assault rifles halfway through the game.

I preferred to pick up the Widow for my Infiltrator.
Tank piercing rounds for the win.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:01 pm UTC

Oh, so you can't train Assault rifles, but you can pick up and use the Revenant? Too bad, I only like the Revenant for getting in close with Praetorians and that doesn't happen too often. Next time I'll pick up the Widow, me thinks.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:45 pm UTC

When you reach that point, you get to pick a weapon class. If you already have a given class, you instead have the option to pick the "super" weapon for that class.

Dark567
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:When you reach that point, you get to pick a weapon class. If you already have a given class, you instead have the option to pick the "super" weapon for that class.

Which I think always seemed to be the best option. Depth over breadth.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Decker

Postby Decker » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:53 pm UTC

I can't speak for anyone else, but an Adept with an assault rifle sounds like it could be fun.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Decker wrote:I can't speak for anyone else, but an Adept with an assault rifle sounds like it could be fun.

I trained my Adept to have a sniper rifle because sometimes I could see an enemy further away than my powers could lock onto. So, I'd soften them up with the sniper rifle until they got into range of Warp.

Plus, it is good for taking out heavy mechs, when you want to pop their heads off specifically so they nuke the whole area.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
Yakk wrote:When you reach that point, you get to pick a weapon class. If you already have a given class, you instead have the option to pick the "super" weapon for that class.

Except then you end up with an upgraded what, pistol, with an adept?

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:35 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Dark567 wrote:

Except then you end up with an upgraded what, pistol, with an adept?

I guess its obvious that I have never played with an adept. I guess if its just the upgrade pistol, your better off picking up the assault rifle.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

Depends on how good you are with the pistol, doesn't it?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:48 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:In my vision, the pistols would have been a hotkey quickfire (like a melee strike) which allows you to draw and fire your sidearm without holstering your primary (it would simply be held downward in the other hand) to finish off weakened enemies without the need to use another 500 damage shot from your 12-round widow or claymore to take off 10 health. Once you release the hotkey the pistol is reholstered and the primary is lifted back into both hands. Given its mechanic, it should have stayed as a cooling weapon, not heatsinked.

I like the pistols as is but that sidearm key sounds really fun.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Only the sniper rifle, assault rifle, and shotgun have "upgraded" versions you can get during that mission. Nothing for pistols and SMGs, so if your class is restricted to those two weapons then getting the upgrade is not even an option. My adept used an AR, if I recall correctly.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

Just completed it after spending all day playing it. And can I just say

Spoiler:
FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Half my crew died in the last mission. Legion, Grunt, Miranda, Samara. And Garrus. Garrus, who'd been on my squad since THE FIRST MISSION OF THE FIRST GAME.

I hate BioWare. I really do. I thought Legion was the only one who'd die, but... that was the worst thing a game has ever thrown at me. FIVE PEOPLE. FIVE.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:18 pm UTC

Spoiler:
You can always replay that part. The deaths aren't random. I believe it's based on loyalty as well as the decisions you make during the final assault. It's really not that difficult to get everyone to survive.

The only mistake I made was sending Grunt back with the survivors, which ended up causing Mordin to bite it, but when I sent him instead then everyone made it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Dark567

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:20 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Just completed it after spending all day playing it. And can I just say

Spoiler:

Half my crew died in the last mission. Legion, Grunt, Miranda, Samara. And Garrus. Garrus, who'd been on my squad since THE FIRST MISSION OF THE FIRST GAME.

I hate BioWare. I really do. I thought Legion was the only one who'd die, but... that was the worst thing a game has ever thrown at me. FIVE PEOPLE. FIVE.

Spoiler:
I ended up losing Mordin and Jack at the end.

I really don't like how Bioware handled that. It seemed like a set of arbitrary choices would lead to arbitrary deaths. Not like in ME1 where it seemed like your choice had consequence and made sense.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:02 pm UTC

Dark567 wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:Just completed it after spending all day playing it. And can I just say

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I ended up losing Mordin and Jack at the end.

I really don't like how Bioware handled that. It seemed like a set of arbitrary choices would lead to arbitrary deaths. Not like in ME1 where it seemed like your choice had consequence and made sense.

Spoiler:
I half agree, and half disagree.

On the one hand, the choices made no bloody sense. First I picked Legion to go through the pipes, because he was loyal. but then he died, and I thought 'so... loyalty doesn't matter?'

So when the biotic protector for your team came up, I thought 'Samara, she's not loyal but that doesn't matter, and she's clearly the most powerful biotic. Jack can go with the survivors, and Grunt can go with the distraction team, because he's a tank and can totally take that'.

Then Garrus and Grunt died.

Then the end scene came where Miranda (I took Jack's side in their argument and didn't have enough Paragon points to fix it) and Samara (I failed her quest) were dead for those really annoying reasons.

But from a purely non-gameplay perspective, it was amazing.

First I sent Legion through the tunnels. He was a geth, so I thought he could take it, and then he died. That was when I realised it was serious.

Then I took Samara with me through the battlefield. We got to the end door, and I thought she'd be the one to go, but then Garrus, my best friend on the crew, got taken away while I was helpless. I didn't realise squad members could die at that point, so it added an extra layer of shock.

Once I got out, I found Grunt just out from the fire squad. He died in my arms, but he also died the death he'd always wanted as a Krogan - in battle.

Then, after I'd killed the human reaper (with the nuke launcher, which took around 7/8ths of its health in an instant), Thane and Jacob were on my team. Once I kill it, I see both of them lying on the ground. After all this, I don't think I can take Jacob, who was one of my Squad members since the start of ME2, dying. But he's immobile. I was relieved when I pulled him out and he was OK.

Then scroll past the corpses of Miranda and Samara, which was probably the worst part of the sequence from a storytelling perpective. Everyone else had been given epic sequences, but that was just like 'OH BTW THEY DIED LOL', which really annoyed me.

So yeah - it was awesome, but not good.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:20 pm UTC

Overall, I think I liked the suicide mission from a gameplay and story perspective- but I also spent the time to make everyone loyal, and so no one died. Spoilers for how the suicide mission works can be found here. For example, SirBryghtside probably lost his first character because of the second character he picked.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:36 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Overall, I think I liked the suicide mission from a gameplay and story perspective- but I also spent the time to make everyone loyal, and so no one died. Spoilers for how the suicide mission works can be found here. For example, SirBryghtside probably lost his first character because of the second character he picked.

Yeah, it probably was because of that... and I did take the time to make them loyal, the only reason they weren't was because I literally couldn't.

legopelle

Postby legopelle » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Spoiler:
SirBryghtside wrote:I half agree, and half disagree.

On the one hand, the choices made no bloody sense. First I picked Legion to go through the pipes, because he was loyal. but then he died, and I thought 'so... loyalty doesn't matter?'

So when the biotic protector for your team came up, I thought 'Samara, she's not loyal but that doesn't matter, and she's clearly the most powerful biotic. Jack can go with the survivors, and Grunt can go with the distraction team, because he's a tank and can totally take that'.

Then Garrus and Grunt died.

Then the end scene came where Miranda (I took Jack's side in their argument and didn't have enough Paragon points to fix it) and Samara (I failed her quest) were dead for those really annoying reasons.

But from a purely non-gameplay perspective, it was amazing.

First I sent Legion through the tunnels. He was a geth, so I thought he could take it, and then he died. That was when I realised it was serious.

Then I took Samara with me through the battlefield. We got to the end door, and I thought she'd be the one to go, but then Garrus, my best friend on the crew, got taken away while I was helpless. I didn't realise squad members could die at that point, so it added an extra layer of shock.

Once I got out, I found Grunt just out from the fire squad. He died in my arms, but he also died the death he'd always wanted as a Krogan - in battle.

Then, after I'd killed the human reaper (with the nuke launcher, which took around 7/8ths of its health in an instant), Thane and Jacob were on my team. Once I kill it, I see both of them lying on the ground. After all this, I don't think I can take Jacob, who was one of my Squad members since the start of ME2, dying. But he's immobile. I was relieved when I pulled him out and he was OK.

Then scroll past the corpses of Miranda and Samara, which was probably the worst part of the sequence from a storytelling perpective. Everyone else had been given epic sequences, but that was just like 'OH BTW THEY DIED LOL', which really annoyed me.

So yeah - it was awesome, but not good.

Have you gotten everyone loyal and bought every ship upgrade?

I have only played as Soldier and thought it was a breeze. So I upped the difficulty to insane. My oshit moment was when I realized husks wouldn't be insta-killed by the freeze pistol. The IFF mission was not nice.[/spoiler]

I'll definitely be trying vanguard next.

EDIT: Potential spoiler failure.
Last edited by legopelle on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Reaper wrote:I'm still fine with people having reactors, and still against them weaponizing the leftovers.

Walter Bishop wrote:Why would anyone kill a scientist? What have we ever done?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 pm UTC

The Asari Matriarch bartender on Illium.

Great Character or Greatest Character? I want her on my team. Want. Just to hear stories.

Return to “Gaming”