Mass Effect 2.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Mass Effect 2 is too hard to type. ME2

Postby mosc » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:39 am UTC

"You can use whoever you want", although true, is rather misleading. Most of the game will have a required character. Along with your main, that leaves 1 spot. In that spot, you'd be stupid not to put Miranda most of the time. Her base ability is by far the most powerful since it substantially buffs you as well. So basically if you're not using Miranda + some required character, you're purposely adding to the difficulty. At least for 90% of the game.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:52 am UTC

mosc wrote:"You can use whoever you want", although true, is rather misleading. Most of the game will have a required character. Along with your main, that leaves 1 spot. In that spot, you'd be stupid not to put Miranda most of the time. Her base ability is by far the most powerful since it substantially buffs you as well. So basically if you're not using Miranda + some required character, you're purposely adding to the difficulty. At least for 90% of the game.

Well no. You only have a required character on that character's loyalty mission. That constitues less than half the game. And I usually bring Garrus along for missions rather than Miranda. Miranda gives the whole team a health and weapon bonus, but is strictly average at fighting. Garrus on the other hand has a sniper rifle.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Mother Superior
Better than tea

Postby Mother Superior » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:02 am UTC

And also it's Garrus.

I too usually bring along Garrus + someone. Mordin or Jack, usually. Mordin cause it often makes sense to bring him along, and Jack cause she's a freakin' power package. Especially when there be husks about. Miranda, can, as I have said on my previous occasions, go die in a fire.
My crappy creepy? Crabby? My crabby blog.
"She bore also the fruitless deep with his raging swell, Pontus, without sweet union of love."
- Hesiod, Theogony

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 pm UTC

Miranda's passive ability is overrated. I mean, it gives what, 15% to damage and 20% to squad health, depending on what you choose at forth level? The damage bonus isn't that great because because percentages are additive, and by the time you pile on ammo and weapon upgrades and your own passive skills and various other bonuses it doesn't make a huge difference. Especially when you consider that some other people have a +50% bonus to their own damage (while Miranda only gets 25%) and can use better weapons. A lot of characters also get much larger shield/armour/whatever bonuses than Miranda.

If anything I'd say that her greatest strength is that she has Overload, which is good against shields, and Warp, which is good against armour and barriers, meaning she can attack every type of defence. However, if you know in advance what type of enemies you'll be facing, more specialized characters are often more useful. There's also the fact that, for instance, Garrus doesn't need Warp to be effective against armour because he has a freakin' sniper rifle (also AP ammo). Miranda also has a weakness in that she lacks any crowd control options unless she's backed up by another biotic or fighting synthetics.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:20 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Why is a 30 second scene critical to your desire for the game?
The buildup was more fun- so it was more like a seven minute scene than a 30 second scene.

But anyway, it's critical because Garrus is hot. I can wait a year to play through the gameplay and whatever main plot they have.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:16 am UTC

I went through on Insanity with Tali and Garrus and didn't have much trouble, so Miranda's bonus really isn't necessary. You know what else is fun? Three characters with Sniper Rifles, two of them with the Widow.

masseffect2citadelbydro.jpg
ssvnormandybyberegond30.jpg

me2-art-large.jpg

2lwlmdx.jpg

424306 - Andrew_Hibner Mass_effect asari.jpg

ME2__Drinks_by_rooster82.jpg

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:36 am UTC

Ryom wrote:
2lwlmdx.jpg

That's probably the best Tali fanart I've ever seen. But she doesn't look alien enough D:

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

My favorite Tali unmasking is probably this one:
taliWrex.png

But the thread is fantastic.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:38 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Ryom wrote:
2lwlmdx.jpg

That's probably the best Tali fanart I've ever seen. But she doesn't look alien enough D:

She looks quite human until you realise that her neck must be REALLY long under that suit to have her head where it's pictured.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:My favorite Tali unmasking is probably this one:
taliWrex.png

I *physically injured myself* laughing at that.

(I strained my back moving furniture yesterday, and the severity of laughing made it flare up again. Ouch.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:42 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:I *physically injured myself* laughing at that.

(I strained my back moving furniture yesterday, and the severity of laughing made it flare up again. Ouch.)
Once your back heals, check out the thread. I was going to post my top three, until I realized I was up to seven in the top three.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:09 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:My favorite Tali unmasking is probably this one:
taliWrex.png

Yep, that one is almost certainly the most awesome.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Tue May 25, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

Yeah, that one wins. The Horatio one is awesome as well, and recurring masks. Thinks they are my fav.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 26, 2010 9:55 am UTC

I liked the Kanye West one, myself.

So I finally started playing ME2 on Thursday, then finished it on Monday. Played through as a male colonist war hero Adept on Insanity. Actually, it was a JC Denton tribute character, so I called him JC Shepard, made him look like JC and used a savegame editor to give him glowing blue eyes. Insanity wasn't as hard as it should have been, as I changed bShieldsBlockPowers 1 to bShieldsBlockPowers 0. I preferred it this way, since biotics were mostly useless on Insanity if everything has biotic-blocking armour, shields or barriers. By the time their defences are gone they're practically dead anyway. Admittedly, it made husks and abominations ridiculously easy, because any powers that take them off their feet are insta-gib, so I was just spamming Throws in levels with husks. But it made the suicide mission with the Collectors hella funny - a well-placed Throw would push a drone off the edge from full health. It was just a shame that Harbinger couldn't be taken off his feet, but a Singularity or Tali's Combat Drone kept him busy long enough for Warps and bullets to kill him. All in all it was pretty fucking fun and a bucketload better than ME1, even though it was a third-person shooter with a conversation system rather than an action RPG. I eagerly await Mass Effect 3, especially since everyone survived in my playthrough.

I also don't know why everyone complains so much about planet scanning and gathering minerals. It was painful before I got the upgrade from Miranda, but after that it was a piece of piss and I ended up with minerals way in excess of what I needed. After about ten hours in I only ever scanned planets if I thought they might have eezo on them and I still ended up with about 100k iridium, platinum and palladium and 40k eezo. Seriously, it wasn't a problem.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed May 26, 2010 12:45 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:I also don't know why everyone complains so much about planet scanning and gathering minerals. It was painful before I got the upgrade from Miranda, but after that it was a piece of piss and I ended up with minerals way in excess of what I needed. After about ten hours in I only ever scanned planets if I thought they might have eezo on them and I still ended up with about 100k iridium, platinum and palladium and 40k eezo. Seriously, it wasn't a problem.

I never had much problem with it either, granted by the end I was about sick of it. I ended with close to 300k of everything (save element zero). Added bonus, my mouse also has a sensitivity adjustment on it, so I was able to up sensitivity for early scanning and drop it back down afterward. Scanning always went fast for me. Loading up on probes was kinda needless though.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed May 26, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Planet-Scanning on XBox, however, was a pain in the time-consuming butt. The trick I eventually ended up doing was scanning in the same horizontal direction as I was spinning the planet, and then everytime I got done circling the planet (which took at LEAST 30 seconds... :x ) I would go down half a grid.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm UTC

I usually just whirled the mouse around on the surface, and if something blipped, I would go back and hunt it down more carefully.

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 pm UTC

This is kinda what it was like to scan on XBox. This is pre-upgrade, but you can only see the actual speed of the scanner when he's trying to pinpoint the best location (like at :53), but that is the full-speed of the scanner while scanning, not him being sensitive with his movements.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed May 26, 2010 6:38 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Moreover, you do realise that you don't actually have to go down that path? For example, if you roll a male character? Or as a female character, just don't talk to him much? You could go with Frogman The Assassin instead if you like.

...or Mordin. On my first playthough as femshep, I kept talking to Mordin to hear his funny lines. He... misinterpreted... the attention I was giving him. :lol:

It's the same with a male shep. "Apparently skin tone attractive to Turians" or something like that, right? Speaking of attraction, I approved of the conversaton between a human, turian and salarian who were watching an asari dance. They were all like "No way, they look exactly like my race!" That's good as a race characteristic for the asari. (But honestly, they have human eyes, nose, mouth, and a feminine jawline at that, hands with five fingers and two breasts. That's just too close to human physiology to blame on the eye of the beholder.)

I'm on the second playthrough now, Insanity this time, and getting my ass kicked quite a lot. I only survived the fight wit Jedore because the big mech somehow failed to notice me and stayed at the back of the room. And I just got through the fight on Freedom's Progress when Harbinger first shows his ugly face, after only about twenty tries. Now I kind of wish I hadn't picked assassination cloak as the level 4 upgrade. I don't have the option to reassign points yet. But it does suck that there's no possibility to reassign points to squad member's skills. Now I'm just saving up the ten points for their fourth skill when I could use those on the others, just until I get their loyalty. I need those points!

Surprisingly, planet scanning began to grow on me after a while. It is actually pretty satisfying to get a huge peak of eezo every now and then. But this time around I started with 50000 of everything, so eezo is something I can ignore. This time around, I just scan the planets in the solar systems with mass relays, so I don't have to spend money on fuel, and only scan planets designated 'rich'.

By the way, have you visited Uranus in the local cluster for resources? *snerk* The first time you launch a probe there, EDI says. " :| ...Really, Shepard?" The second time: "*Sigh*... Probing Uranus. :roll: "

(If EDI had emotes, those would be the ones she used.)

psion

Postby psion » Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 am UTC

LTK wrote:(But honestly, they have human eyes, nose, mouth, and a feminine jawline at that, hands with five fingers and two breasts. That's just too close to human physiology to blame on the eye of the beholder.)

Are you sure about any of that? Maybe it's just a powerful illusion, and they really have no head at all. Or something.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri May 28, 2010 10:40 am UTC

psion wrote:
LTK wrote:(But honestly, they have human eyes, nose, mouth, and a feminine jawline at that, hands with five fingers and two breasts. That's just too close to human physiology to blame on the eye of the beholder.)

Are you sure about any of that? Maybe it's just a powerful illusion, and they really have no head at all. Or something.

Well see the bachelor party on Illium would make you think that, but then you realise that if they were, say, shaped like blue octopuses, that any sort of visual recording of them would show this. If a turian painted a picture of an asari, it would look like a blue turian. If you took a holo of an asari, it would show them for what they are. And most importantly, how would they be able to wear human armour if they were actually shaped like octopuses? To be honest, all they'd have to do is have a turian or a salarian say "Gee, you humans sure look a lot like asari, what's up with that?" and I'd be happy. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

Buddha with a bra on

Postby Buddha with a bra on » Fri May 28, 2010 10:55 pm UTC

Finished my third playthrough today, continuation of a fairly boring neutral soldier from the first game. Was fun just to blitz through the game with a machine gun, and even funnier was the carefully orchestrated complete and utter fail of my squad at the end. Everyone died. Everyone. Except Joker. Loooooooong, lonely ride home.
My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth. My thoughts were so loud...

Walter.Horvath wrote:I can only think to high-five the hell out of you.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat May 29, 2010 12:17 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Well see the bachelor party on Illium would make you think that, but then you realise that if they were, say, shaped like blue octopuses, that any sort of visual recording of them would show this. If a turian painted a picture of an asari, it would look like a blue turian. If you took a holo of an asari, it would show them for what they are. And most importantly, how would they be able to wear human armour if they were actually shaped like octopuses? To be honest, all they'd have to do is have a turian or a salarian say "Gee, you humans sure look a lot like asari, what's up with that?" and I'd be happy. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

You've obviously never watched Shallow Hal.

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:So I finally started playing ME2 on Thursday, then finished it on Monday. Played through as a male colonist war hero Adept on Insanity. Actually, it was a JC Denton tribute character, so I called him JC Shepard, made him look like JC and used a savegame editor to give him glowing blue eyes. Insanity wasn't as hard as it should have been, as I changed bShieldsBlockPowers 1 to bShieldsBlockPowers 0. I preferred it this way, since biotics were mostly useless on Insanity if everything has biotic-blocking armour, shields or barriers. By the time their defences are gone they're practically dead anyway. Admittedly, it made husks and abominations ridiculously easy, because any powers that take them off their feet are insta-gib, so I was just spamming Throws in levels with husks. But it made the suicide mission with the Collectors hella funny - a well-placed Throw would push a drone off the edge from full health. It was just a shame that Harbinger couldn't be taken off his feet, but a Singularity or Tali's Combat Drone kept him busy long enough for Warps and bullets to kill him. All in all it was pretty fucking fun and a bucketload better than ME1, even though it was a third-person shooter with a conversation system rather than an action RPG. I eagerly await Mass Effect 3, especially since everyone survived in my playthrough.

I can only imagine how much ridiculously overpowered an Adept would be if shields/barriers didn't block CC. Granted, I fully understand just how weak they are when they don't because a read health bar basically equates to a dead enemy anyway, but still... Singularity, Pull and Throw would just be unfair...

That said, since I've played through a femShep paragon and renegade and male Shep paragon and renegade on hardx2, hardcore, Insanity in that order with every class but Adept (because of aforementioned nearly useless powers but Warp except on non-threat enemies) and Vanguard just because I don't like the playstyle, I think I'll do that myself. Just need to activate the dev console.

Still wish they would've made a biotic/combat class that wasn't close/melee oriented. Would love to see a longer range biotic sniper user. (Yes, my fav class was Infiltrator, to much fun with the Widowmaker, max sniper upgrades, assassin passive, assassin cloak, weapon buff geth shield boost and then 2 shotting scions and even one shotting Harbingers.)

One thing I feel odd about the game is:
Spoiler:
As a Paragon through ME1 and ME2, you seem to have a LOT of allies by the end of ME2, the Quarians like you even more, you get the Geth to back you up AND boost their numbers and eliminate their primary enemy at the same time, the Krogans are solidly under Wrex who still considers you battlemaster material, AND you can save the genophage cure, the Council is still alive and even reinstates you as a Spectre so you've got at least some support there, plus the Destiny's Ascension, largest and most powerful warship in the galaxy, even Aria, the de facto Omega ruler likes you. Then you've got the Rachni Queen who specifically seduces an Asari to give you a message saying she's doing well (got her own hive and planet already, bug lady has fun and works fast) and that she's going to help you against the Reapers too. The Alliance is happy to see you back, at least according to Anderson, who as the new Councilor is the de facto Human ruler. Not killing Samara also means you might not have to deal with other Justicars trying to kill you later and might be allies as well.
Whereas renegade Shep seems to have a habit of killing a lot of people/things that could help her/him out later and as such will probably have a much smaller army/backing against the Reapers. But as badass as s/he seems s/he might not need that help anyway because s/he's such a badass in the first place. Or you get overrun.
Just seems like being a Paragon is going to get you a very unbalanced amount of support/firepower in the end and a Renegade will end up very outgunned. I'm just wondering how/if they'll manage to make a victory over the Reapers in ME3 feel plausible as a Renegade, or difficult as a Paragon depending on the extreme. I mean, a Renegade goes in with the few allies they have and secure a hard-fought victory, how in the world does the Paragon have it hard with all that backup? Or if a Paragon has it hard with that backup, how does a Renegade even hope to survive?
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:16 pm UTC

Vyn wrote:
Spoiler:
As a Paragon through ME1 and ME2, you seem to have a LOT of allies by the end of ME2, the Quarians like you even more, you get the Geth to back you up AND boost their numbers and eliminate their primary enemy at the same time, the Krogans are solidly under Wrex who still considers you battlemaster material, AND you can save the genophage cure, the Council is still alive and even reinstates you as a Spectre so you've got at least some support there, plus the Destiny's Ascension, largest and most powerful warship in the galaxy, even Aria, the de facto Omega ruler likes you. Then you've got the Rachni Queen who specifically seduces an Asari to give you a message saying she's doing well (got her own hive and planet already, bug lady has fun and works fast) and that she's going to help you against the Reapers too. The Alliance is happy to see you back, at least according to Anderson, who as the new Councilor is the de facto Human ruler. Not killing Samara also means you might not have to deal with other Justicars trying to kill you later and might be allies as well.
Whereas renegade Shep seems to have a habit of killing a lot of people/things that could help her/him out later and as such will probably have a much smaller army/backing against the Reapers. But as badass as s/he seems s/he might not need that help anyway because s/he's such a badass in the first place. Or you get overrun.
Just seems like being a Paragon is going to get you a very unbalanced amount of support/firepower in the end and a Renegade will end up very outgunned. I'm just wondering how/if they'll manage to make a victory over the Reapers in ME3 feel plausible as a Renegade, or difficult as a Paragon depending on the extreme. I mean, a Renegade goes in with the few allies they have and secure a hard-fought victory, how in the world does the Paragon have it hard with all that backup? Or if a Paragon has it hard with that backup, how does a Renegade even hope to survive?

Spoiler:
You know... I played through both games as primarily renegade, and the only one of those I don't fall under is having a large backing Geth army (I blew them up). And maybe the Quarians don't like me as much, idk. I see what you mean if you went pure renegade though. I'd suspect that in the grand scheme of things... it'll be like Mass Effect 2, in that your previous decisions are acknowledged, but don't really affect much. I mean, if they really want to incorporate everything, they've got a hell of a challenge ahead of them.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:14 am UTC

ProZac wrote:
Vyn wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
You know... I played through both games as primarily renegade, and the only one of those I don't fall under is having a large backing Geth army (I blew them up). And maybe the Quarians don't like me as much, idk. I see what you mean if you went pure renegade though. I'd suspect that in the grand scheme of things... it'll be like Mass Effect 2, in that your previous decisions are acknowledged, but don't really affect much. I mean, if they really want to incorporate everything, they've got a hell of a challenge ahead of them.

Spoiler:
It should also be noted that there are some decisions where being a renegade is potentially beneficial - perhaps most notably, letting Cerberus study the Reaper base instead of destroying it at the end of ME2, and supporting the Quarians who want to regain control of the Geth and/or build a new synthetic army.

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:41 pm UTC

EmptySet wrote:
Spoiler:
It should also be noted that there are some decisions where being a renegade is potentially beneficial - perhaps most notably, letting Cerberus study the Reaper base instead of destroying it at the end of ME2, and supporting the Quarians who want to regain control of the Geth and/or build a new synthetic army.

Spoiler:
I can see saving the Collector base as beneficial for a Renegade, but how can talking the Quarians into a war with the Geth possibly be more beneficial than simply having both grps (doubly so as Paragon dramatically increases the number of Geth by converting the heretics) be allies to you and work together instead?
Also, saving the Collector base might also come back to bite you in the ass... hard. Especially if there's any indoctrination tech on there, you could very well be handing the Reapers potentially more usable soldiers AND possibly spies seeing as they could be human and you might not know they're with the Reapers. Blowing it up might deprive you of some very valuable tech (and I had a really hard time blowing it up, only did it eventually because I remembered how the Paragon choice turned out at the end of ME1) you can use, but it also deprives the Reapers of a potential mind rape trap. Or, imagine if you have your best and brightest on that base... and the Reapers activate their own remote detonation?
Honestly no real way to see if saving the base will be end up being beneficial or detrimental until ME3. Speculation is fun though.
I am Jon Stewart with some Colbert cynicism, Thomas Edison's curiousity, wrapped around a hardcore gamer sprinkled very liberally with Deadpool, and finished off with an almost Poison Ivy-esque love/hate relationship with humanity, flourish.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:05 am UTC

Vyn wrote:
Spoiler:
I can see saving the Collector base as beneficial for a Renegade, but how can talking the Quarians into a war with the Geth possibly be more beneficial than simply having both grps (doubly so as Paragon dramatically increases the number of Geth by converting the heretics) be allies to you and work together instead?

Spoiler:
Well, the rest of the galaxy may not be entirely eager to welcome the Geth into their loving embrace and fight side by side. Having the Quarians in control might make that somewhat easier. And, of course, the Quarians are also technical experts; it's possible that they could upgrade their robot minions to be more effective soldiers (which the Geth would not allow if they were free, due to their philosophy of each race taking its own technological path). There's also the possibility of the Reapers brainwashing (...codewashing?) another bunch of Geth.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
I've got nothing. I just felt left out with all the spoiler action, since I haven't bought ME2 yet.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:23 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, the rest of the galaxy may not be entirely eager to welcome the Geth into their loving embrace and fight side by side. Having the Quarians in control might make that somewhat easier. And, of course, the Quarians are also technical experts; it's possible that they could upgrade their robot minions to be more effective soldiers (which the Geth would not allow if they were free, due to their philosophy of each race taking its own technological path). There's also the possibility of the Reapers brainwashing (...codewashing?) another bunch of Geth.

Spoiler:
I found the whole quarian-geth conflict thing rather sad. The quarians are acting as if they're the victims, when after a brief chat with Legion it's quite clear that the geth don't really have any use for the quarian homeworld and would gladly co-exist with them if they would just stop shooting them. But the quarians have made them demons and bogeymen in their culture, blaming them for their exiled life and see the geth occupation of Rannoch and their having to be a migrant fleet as intrinsically linked issues where both have to solved at the same time. It's really sad and I would like for it to possibly be solved in ME3. Then I can build Tali a house on the homeworld =P Because gosh, she's so freaking adorable. There goes my man point allowance for the week.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:42 am UTC

Spoiler:
I think the criticism you get from Legion is the most hard hitting and apt criticism of taking the collector base.

Given that the reapers have always planned on species taking the easy route I'm sure they're not so stupid as to not have a contingency plan for the collector base.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:22 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Spoiler:
I think the criticism you get from Legion is the most hard hitting and apt criticism of taking the collector base.

Given that the reapers have always planned on species taking the easy route I'm sure they're not so stupid as to not have a contingency plan for the collector base.

Spoiler:
What does Legion say about it? I only heard for Moradin, who convinced me to keep it. However, after seeing it pretty much went straight into the hands of the Illusive Man (yeah, I didn't think that one through). I went back and blew it up. No way I'm letting that bastard have it.

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:58 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
EmptySet wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I found the whole quarian-geth conflict thing rather sad. The quarians are acting as if they're the victims, when after a brief chat with Legion it's quite clear that the geth don't really have any use for the quarian homeworld and would gladly co-exist with them if they would just stop shooting them. But the quarians have made them demons and bogeymen in their culture, blaming them for their exiled life and see the geth occupation of Rannoch and their having to be a migrant fleet as intrinsically linked issues where both have to solved at the same time. It's really sad and I would like for it to possibly be solved in ME3. Then I can build Tali a house on the homeworld =P Because gosh, she's so freaking adorable. There goes my man point allowance for the week.

Spoiler:
If you take Legion with you on Tali's loyalty mission (which I highly recommend btw), Legions reaction is to calmly tell pretty much all of them that "Hey, we don't hate you. We want to live in peace, you can come home whenever." Followed by: Admiral I-want-Geth-slaves "Ooh a live Geth, can I study you?"... Admiral Badass "Kill it!"... and Admiral Emo "Oh we're sorry for attacking all you on sight and for defending ourselves" Ironically, the Emo Admiral is the most right, if the Quarians simply apologize they can live in peace with the Geth. Hell, the way it sounded coming from Legion the Quarians don't even have to apologize, they just have to stop shooting. 'Course, I also did this mission BEFORE I did Legion's loyalty mission, so the heretics were still at large. That might make a difference as well.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I'm surprised Legion is even an option on Tali's mission. Even the most culturally insensitive idiot would think bringing a live geth on board the flotilla was a good idea when one of your crew is on trial for bringing live geth on board the flotilla.

That's like someone bringing a tiger into the house of someone who has a phobia of tigers and saying "oh don't worry, I personally vouch for this tiger. It won't maul you".

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:02 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm surprised Legion is even an option on Tali's mission. Even the most culturally insensitive idiot would think bringing a live geth on board the flotilla was a good idea when one of your crew is on trial for bringing live geth on board the flotilla.

That's like someone bringing a tiger into the house of someone who has a phobia of tigers and saying "oh don't worry, I personally vouch for this tiger. It won't maul you".

Spoiler:
Well, existing Renegade options include letting innocent colonists die because Zaeed is a moron with no self control, punching random people in the face, and bad-mouthing aliens in general. Given that you can already do a lot of questionable stuff, I don't see why you shouldn't have the option of being "culturally insensitive".

Vyn

Postby Vyn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
First, you don't actually know what Tali is on trial for until you get there, so that's a moot point. Second, I brought Legion (using my foreknowledge because I'd already done it in an "alternate timeline") as a show that only some of the Geth are bad and that some honestly just want the Quarians to stop attacking and they'll welcome them back as peaceful allies, which Legion pretty much out and out says if you do it.

Chfan

Postby Chfan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

Spoiler:
So, Jack is disloyal, and there's no way for me to change that before the mission. Every time I do the mission, she dies. Is there anything I can do so that she won't?
Just FYI, the guy isn't avatar isn't me. But he seems pretty cool.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

Chfan wrote:
Spoiler:
So, Jack is disloyal, and there's no way for me to change that before the mission. Every time I do the mission, she dies. Is there anything I can do so that she won't?

Spoiler:
Yes. You can take her side instead of Miranda's in their little argument. That way, Miranda becomes disloyal instead, and dies in Jack's place. I have not found any way to get either of the paragon or renegade conversation options available in that scene, so one of them is always doomed no matter what I do.

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

Completed ME2 on Insanity as an Infiltrator, managed to get all party members loyal but Legion and Zaeed, and nobody died! Kick-ass! I took Energy Drain as a bonus talent, and it served me very well. I could take on almost every enemy with Heavy Incinerate against armor and organics, and Energy Drain, AI Hacking and Disruptor Ammo against shields and synthetics. The only time I was at a disadvantage was against barriers, which were doable with the Tempest and Widow, but still a weakness at my part. Fortunately, I gave Jack the Squad Warp Ammo power to augment the Widow sniper rifle, which made it completely unstoppable. Every Collector dead with a good headshot, Harbinger went down with three or four. Horizon and the mission on the deactivated Collector ship were a pain in the ass, but the suicide mission was a walk in the park. There were a few things I was unhappy with, though...

Spoiler:
Just as I went to dock the Heretic Station for Legion's mission, the Collector ship popped in to kidnap everyone, and I had to double-time it back to the ship. But I could have easily took care of the heretics in the time it took Joker to get his glass bones to engineering to flush the Collectors out! I mean, it was already suspicious that EDI said "Well, we have this IFF device of alien and hostile origin that we're going to build into the ship, so why don't you take every single person who can shoot a gun out with a shuttle while we're finishing this up?" The whole team just went on a weekend break to do nothing when the Collectors cleaned out the Normandy at their leisure!

Fuck that.

You know what also sucked? Paragon/Renegade conversation options being limited by the Paragon/Renegade point ratio you have. I spent the whole game carefully balancing Paragon and Renegade actions, using almost every interruption available, and then it turns out it's practically useless for the most important dialogue options! Even with a Paragon/Renegade point ratio of about two to one, I still can't convince Zaeed into loyalty after taking the Paragon route on his mission! RRRRRRGH. I'm damn lucky I was able to resolve the arguments between Jack and Miranda, and Tali and Legion with the points I could get. I must have done some loyalty missions like five times, just to get enough Paragon points in between to gain loyalty and resolve conflict.

But at least I succeeded in the end. For the rest, I have very little to complain about. But I'll always find something, of course. :wink:

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:15 am UTC

Male Shepard has, in some scenes a most annoying facial expression, the Clark-Kent-in-earlier-Smallville-episodes-"but-that's-wrong!"-face. It really bugs me.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Return to “Gaming”