Mass Effect 2.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tzvibish

Mass Effect 2.

Postby tzvibish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

It seems from early reviews that BioWare, instead of fixing the broken and boring loot system in ME1, has just decided that to do away with much of the loot altogether. According to OXM, you'll rarely get new guns, and you don't get the excitement of finding a new shiny item all that often. In other words, it's not a looting game anymore.

When there are really no good gun-based looting games aside from Borderlands (and a few other, less exciting titles (Too Human, Hellgate)), this is saddening. I was looking forward to two gun looters in the same year.

Does anyone know anything more about this? I hate you. I really do. Was Mass Fucking Effect Too damn hard to type? - ST
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Re: ME2: Looting Fail?

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

I know I'll be playing mass effect 2 either way, as it seems pretty cool. The loot system they previously had was, as you say, broken and boring and I prefer not having it at all especially since the rest of the gameplay looks to hold plenty of complexity.

Somehow I don't really like overly complex item systems for single player games... they seem like a cheap alternative to other forms of progression. Is there something that say, borderlandsanother single player game does to actually make it interesting? EDIT: just remembered borderlands isn't single player... I'm not sure it's a good game mechanic elsewhere either, but I'm specifically asking about single player games here.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:20 pm UTC

Diablo, for one. And it's many derivatives. Looting is less of a game mechanic than it is a genre to itself these days.

Also, borderlands' weapon creation system is just as good in single player as in multiplayer. The odds of getting good stuff just goes up more if you're in multiplayer.

And also, as odd as it sounds, the entire Armored Core series of games has the same loot mechanic, just implemented differently. The entire game revolves around parts, items, and the infinite ways you can mix and match to make a fighting machine. I don't think ever RPG should be like that, but I do think that the customization and sense of control over the world that item complexity gives is well worth the programming time.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:48 pm UTC

tzvisbish wrote:According to OXM, you'll rarely get new guns, and you don't get the excitement of finding a new shiny item all that often.

On the flipside, it means that when you do get a new item, you'll probably be more excited simply because it doesn't occur that much. It works out about the same.

tzvibish wrote:In other words, it's not a looting game anymore.

Mass Effect was never a looting game. It wasn't about equipment, it was about how you used it. If it was an equipment game you would've thought that they would have given items more distinctive appearances, rather than the two models with five textures each per weapon group.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
tzvisbish wrote:According to OXM, you'll rarely get new guns, and you don't get the excitement of finding a new shiny item all that often.

On the flipside, it means that when you do get a new item, you'll probably be more excited simply because it doesn't occur that much. It works out about the same.

tzvibish wrote:In other words, it's not a looting game anymore.

Mass Effect was never a looting game. It wasn't about equipment, it was about how you used it. If it was an equipment game you would've thought that they would have given items more distinctive appearances, rather than the two models with five textures each per weapon group.

Well, that was always my least favorite aspect of the game. You don't have to be a looting game to have loot aspects to it. If your RPG focuses on weapons as a source of stats, then the more detail you pour into the weapon system, the more the player will be immersed in the character development. In a game that focuses on gunplay as much as dialogue and character, I feel like some more work could be put into the tools of the trade.

tzvibish

Re: Mass Effect 2 is too hard to type. ME2: Looting Fail?

Postby tzvibish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:23 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote: I hate you. I really do. Was Mass Fucking Effect Too damn hard to type? - ST

If unnecessary abbreviations are a source of hatred for you, I would stay away from the Internets as a whole. It's kinda the Internet's "thing".

But, in deference, I will be careful next time.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

I think the issue was that if it weren't for the oddly specific title, this would become the Mass Effect 2 thread. And maybe that "ME" can stand for "Mirror's Edge" and probably a few other games too.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

Well, then. Let's make this the Mass Effect 2 thread (Can I change the Thread title? I don't see an edit button on OP).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:
tzvibish wrote: I hate you. I really do. Was Mass Fucking Effect Too damn hard to type? - ST

If unnecessary abbreviations are a source of hatred for you, I would stay away from the Internets as a whole. It's kinda the Internet's "thing".

But, in deference, I will be careful next time.
See the Gaming Rules Thread.
4. Provide Information! It boggles my mind that I have to make this a rule, but.. I do, because there's enough of you drunken monkeys who can't figure out that people know different levels of information. See, if you make a thread title the name of a game, then in the body of the message simply ask "Anyone else play? I'm on WestLocoIsle, usually, under the name RicoSuave2000" we still have no bloody clue what you're talking about. Yes, we could google it. Or you could throw in a link to the appropriate website, Wikipedia page, goddamn Geocities fanpage - something that tells us what the hell the game is if you're not going to.

Better yet.. you could also quickly describe the game - if it's a Real Time Strategy, a traditional MMO, a goddam fusion First Person Shooter Turn Based Squad Combat game, whatever... just describe the game or at least throw in a link.

As it apparently wasn't clear before - This includes abbreviations of "common" terms. For example, if you're asking how to get more MegaBuck Dinero in JapaneseRPG#47, don't just type "Hey, anyone in JRPG47 know how to make quick MBD?" Define your terms!

And yes, this applies to links. Throw a link in to it. Seriously, throw a link in. I can't believe I have to say this, but I'm also sick and tired of seeing threads in which the first post doesn't have a link to the game's website, or even a wikipedia page about it. Something. Anything. Throw us a bone here.

THAT is the source of my ire, as apparently I continue to believe that people here are intelligent beings who are capable of inferring that rules apply to them even if said rule doesn't come right out and explicitly say "Don't do X", they do say "Don't do T, U, V, Y, or Z" of which X is suspiciously similar. And I'm consistently proven wrong. So yeah, I keep pissing myself off.

And being all passive agressive'n'shit when explaining it. Snoogans. Now let's move on as this is now the Mass Effect 2 thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:08 pm UTC

I'm fine with that change.

In the original I just ended up with my set of good gear and an inventory full of crap to sell, or sometimes stuff that was good but superfluous.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:16 pm UTC

So anyway, what's the problem with Mass Effect not being a looting game? Looting wasn't really what I look forward to in MA... and, as you've said... we have Borderlands, why would I want yet another Borderlands (which tbh I felt failed at making looting as fun as Diablo 2 did, they did some key things wrong).

Side note: Doesn't the "on fire" effect look... -very- similar to another game? I swear I've seen it before maybe Dragon Age? I can't remember.

Anyway, to me Mass Effect is just an RPG shooter... not an RPG/Shooter like Borderlands which is really more an 'rpg'/shooter... but an RPG with a capital R. Borderlands has stats and equipment and characters and a story, that's why it's a roleplaying game. Mass Effect lets you actually roleplay a character of your choosing how you want to play it (and the story is well done so you WANT to roleplay in it), and that's the main attraction for me. The good gameplay, exploration, etc. are just bonuses and I honestly think that turning it into another Borderlands (or even if they did it well like Diablo 2) would distract from the immersion because you're suddenly focusing on loot color and numbers.

Additionally I think it also adds a bit of realism to the game, it would be jarring to the immersion to be in an otherwise very realistic sci-fi world (complete with lore/descriptions packed full of actually reasonable and plausible and logical explanations for just about everything) to have loot pouring out everywhere... You'd expect a Spectre to, you know, actually have an awesome backing with top notch equipment etc. In Mass Effect 2, you'd expect that Cerberus has access to some pretty awesome equipment too, so ridiculously frequent upgrades and loot gradients etc. just doesn't seem to work.

Edit: I suppose what I'm saying is "If your RPG focuses on (weapons for) stats" is the wrong metric to measure Mass Effect by... it should be "If your RPG focuses on playing a role" which in this case was, what I thought to be, the main point of Mass Effect and I hear is improved considerably in 2.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

LTK

Postby LTK » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:44 pm UTC

Yeah, most of the weapons, ammo and armor were redundant anyway. There were like three types of each that succeeded in every situation no matter what, so you didn't have to bother with anything else. Especially when you unlocked the Master Spectre gear. You might as well throw away all of your other guns after breaking one million credits. I'm happy they went with less looting in this game.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:55 am UTC

This post had objectionable content.Snoogans. We're moving on. - ST

Also the looting system in Torchlight for example (a diablo derivative) seems rather stupid. For example, what the hell is the use of set items when you continue past whatever level that gear was relevant at before you get more than 1 or 2 of them? In my opinion it's simply an extra puzzle that says "figure out what gear you have is best for your character" making it fairly simple and boring maths, added to luck. I haven't played borderlands so I can't say what I think of it.

In fact I have to say I like Star Trek Online's model slightly better, there are obvious ranks of weapons (removing the annoying "puzzle" part), but distinct types of weapons that have unique advantages, disadvantages and properties. Now if they just got rid of the idea that I have to work to get them, it would be even better. (last time I played the beta it seemed to take a while to get new equipment :P )
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:37 am UTC

Frankly I think this is great news. I got so sick of having to constantly delve into the original's retarded loot system to equip a new gun that was only a minor upgrade over my existing one and looked virtually identicle save for a coat of paint. I'd much rather have weapon system wherein invididual guns had a longer life expectancy and new ones I pick up are signifigantly different and better items.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

psion

Postby psion » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:45 am UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:Also the looting system in Torchlight for example (a diablo derivative) seems rather stupid. For example, what the hell is the use of set items when you continue past whatever level that gear was relevant at before you get more than 1 or 2 of them? In my opinion it's simply an extra puzzle that says "figure out what gear you have is best for your character" making it fairly simple and boring maths, added to luck.

Yahtzee put it best (as he often does), "It turns the gameplay into one part action to two parts accounting."

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:18 am UTC

That ratio depends how long each part takes you.

I must admit I do heaps of the "accounting" part in eve online - but that has an interesting system. Multiple resources (slots, powergrid, CPU, cost) and heaps of attributes to consider. Not only that, you aren't going to arbitrarily progress past the point where the ship/setup is useful, and there are unconventional setups that can be very useful. EDIT: to clarify, the progression point is one I have never seen in a single player RPG and the "cost" resource is very important because when you lose a ship, it's gone.

Website

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

Wikipedia wrote:Unlike Mass Effect, in which there were four weapon types, there are now nineteen different weapons types[18] and the pistol has been broken up into the heavy pistol and the machine pistol.[19] The grenades from the first game do not make a reappearance, but have been replaced by the new heavy weapons.[20] Sub-machine guns are shown to be another new weapon class added to the game. Characters are now able to use any weapon their class is trained for at full effect, meaning the player is no longer required to or able to invest in weapon skills. Armor skills have also been removed, and there are no longer class restrictions on armor.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2

I admit to being confused. How does just shy of five times as many weapon types, with greater ease of use on armor and weapons for all characters, qualify as less loot? The only thing that could make that less loot instead of more is a horrendously low drop rate on everything in the entire game. But in any case, as other posters have commented, Mass Effect was never about the loot (and if it was, you were Doing It Wrong). It was all about the story and character development. Loot was a tool you used to advance through the combat portions of the game (which, granted, is a large portion, if not most, of the game, but that doesn't make it a loot game).
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:06 pm UTC

Assuming the OP knew what they were talking about... (and wasn't trolling) :oops:

Anyway, that sounds awesome. I think the game was partially about having a new and interesting combat system. They didn't put it in just for the hell of it but the things that hadn't been seen before were overshadowed by the more obvious story elements. In Mass Effect 2, I expect the combat will be much more memorable.

Website

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

I knew they were taking out weapon skills and adding weapons types but... removing armour restrictions? ...I'm not really sure if I really, really like that or think it's unbalancing. Have they changed how Biotics and tech specialists are squishy? Or are they not squishy at all now?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

Well, I imagine they probably used a system with the same basic effect as D&D. You can wear as heavy armor as you like... it just might not be good for your class abilities. Or something, I dunno, we'll have to see.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:55 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Unlike Mass Effect, in which there were four weapon types, there are now nineteen different weapons types[18] and the pistol has been broken up into the heavy pistol and the machine pistol.[19] The grenades from the first game do not make a reappearance, but have been replaced by the new heavy weapons.[20] Sub-machine guns are shown to be another new weapon class added to the game. Characters are now able to use any weapon their class is trained for at full effect, meaning the player is no longer required to or able to invest in weapon skills. Armor skills have also been removed, and there are no longer class restrictions on armor.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect_2

I admit to being confused. How does just shy of five times as many weapon types, with greater ease of use on armor and weapons for all characters, qualify as less loot? The only thing that could make that less loot instead of more is a horrendously low drop rate on everything in the entire game. But in any case, as other posters have commented, Mass Effect was never about the loot (and if it was, you were Doing It Wrong). It was all about the story and character development. Loot was a tool you used to advance through the combat portions of the game (which, granted, is a large portion, if not most, of the game, but that doesn't make it a loot game).

No, you just reduce the amount of weapons you have in the first place. In ME1 you had pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles. You had nine levels of Tsunami assault rifles, four levels of Crossfire, six of Terminator, nine of Gorgon, seven of Raptor, nine of Banshee, four of Geth, nine of Lancer, nine of Diamond Back, nine of Thunder, nine of Torrent, four of Breaker, four of Kovalyov and nine of Avenger. Over one hundred variations of assault rifle alone. There's some accounting for you. If you reduced the number of variations you have for each weapon to, say, ten, then you have five times as many weapon types with ten times less variations. I'd say that works.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 am UTC

So they've replaced scads of marginally different guns with fewer guns of much larger variety? I fail to see how that's a bad thing.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

Did I say that this is a bad thing?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm UTC

tzvibish did.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:53 pm UTC

To be honest, I would be perfectly happy if the items didn't progress with levels and it was a case of a certain tool for a certain job. As long as the upgrades are good that would suit me down to the ground.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:tzvibish did.

Oh, yes. I thought tzvibish hadn't considered what I brought up.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

LTK wrote:
No, you just reduce the amount of weapons you have in the first place. In ME1 you had pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and sniper rifles. You had nine levels of Tsunami assault rifles, four levels of Crossfire, six of Terminator, nine of Gorgon, seven of Raptor, nine of Banshee, four of Geth, nine of Lancer, nine of Diamond Back, nine of Thunder, nine of Torrent, four of Breaker, four of Kovalyov and nine of Avenger. Over one hundred variations of assault rifle alone. There's some accounting for you. If you reduced the number of variations you have for each weapon to, say, ten, then you have five times as many weapon types with ten times less variations. I'd say that works.

Except the variation between the different rifle types was minimal at best. The attachments are what made rifles different, and those could be put on any weapon.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm UTC

While I don't think that Mass Effect needs to become Diable (or Borderlands), I think my point still holds that in a game that focuses on combat, your weapons should just as important as your character. It should add to the character, not be just something you have to deal with. Much like the way soldiers name their guns and sleep with them in the real world.

I've had a game design in my head since elementary school that Borderlands came oh-so-close to achieving. It has a lot to do with this idea of weaponry as a critical extension of a character's personality. I wrote about it before Borderlands came out, and I was unfortunately disappointed at the end result (It was a great game, just not quite my dream design).

I think Mass effect does the character and plot stuff as well as the best of them, but I'm just upset that instead of stepping forward in the guns departments, they seem to have just stepped sideways and back a little. The vibe I'm getting from what little I've read about the actual gameplay, they have indeed made drop rates muuuuch lower than in the first one. Now, there is a possibility that this is a good thing, wherein the few gun drops you do get are all awesome and dramatic upgrades. But I'm afraid that they just dumbed down the previous system instead of making it better.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when we actually play it.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 am UTC

It did NOT let me pick my major decisions at the start. Or if it DOES, the option was well-hidden.

Grar.

-X

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:24 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:It was all about the story and character development. Loot was a tool you used to advance through the combat portions of the game (which, granted, is a large portion, if not most, of the game, but that doesn't make it a loot game).

I thought Mass Effect was all about Wrex...

Xaddak wrote:It did NOT let me pick my major decisions at the start. Or if it DOES, the option was well-hidden.

If you're talking about that whole Penny Arcade thing, go read the newest post. Like him, the only reason I bought it was because of that statement.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:25 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:It did NOT let me pick my major decisions at the start. Or if it DOES, the option was well-hidden.

Grar.

I remember hearing it was supposed to be when you're recounting your memories to 'test if your head is working properly'. I don't have the game though, so I couldn't say.

Also tzvibish, I don't think the weapons should be just as important as your character... no way. While it's true you could say something like "The game focuses on combat" I'd say the game focuses on the story, character interaction and roleplay of your character much more than it does combat (in fact, I remember most of my gameplay in ME being character interaction and roleplay, even the combat sections are filled with it).

For me at least, the guns are nowhere near as important as the character in Mass Effect. Borderlands however, I'd agree with you (that being said, they didn't make the gun looting system important and good enough). It's not a story or character driven game, it's pretty much solely a gun combat looter whereas I'd never consider Mass Effect a 'looter' game and I'd be disappointed if it did become a looter game because it would detract from the character/story parts of the game (which is why I liked ME).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:52 am UTC

Well, they do have a solution available to them - patch it in >.<

I personally have a save game lying around, but I'm not really happy with the default character that I had so I'm not sure I want to use it anyway.

Website

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:12 pm UTC

Yeah, I have some save games, but I haven't touched the first Mass Effect in a while, so I don't know what state the saves are in (and I don't have the game). So I was excited about setting key decisions manually.

I just read that new PA news post. I am aggravated by it, but it isn't the end of the world. Most of the decisions appear to be more or less what I would pick for a Renegade anyway, so I'm playing it as that.

-X

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

Oh look, my CD key for Bring Down The Sky just showed up. If I'd have gotten that when Mass Effect was still installed, that would have saved me some trouble. Now I guess I'm going to reinstall, load up an old save, do the quest and then redo the endgame. Apparently you can count on every character you affected in Mass Effect to show up in Mass Effect 2. That's kind of weird, don't you think? Normally, when you've got interstellar travel, I wouldn't expect all the people I met before to come and say hi to me again. It's a really big galaxy.

CNiall

Postby CNiall » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

I hope Pinnacle Station doesn't have any impact; I don't really want to pay for what looks like essentially an arena mode. Based on what I've read, there doesn't seem to be much of a way in which it could, but still -- I'm a little obsessive over getting all of the sidequests and the like in the original finished simply because they are carried over.

Maybe when
Spoiler:
Cerberus resurrected Shepard they threw some kind of transponder in there
("It'll be just like stalking Shepard but without the hassle of keeping track of his location yourself!"). I'm not even convinced that that should be a spoiler, but since I'd much rather not know that to happen in the game it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

Smiling Hobo

Mass Effect 2

Postby Smiling Hobo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 am UTC

So, Mass Effect 2 came out today. Critics are already calling it GotY (I reserve judgement in that department until Bioshock 2 is released), and apparently this installment has more action, plot, and eye orgasms than the first one, with fewer bugs and generally improved gameplay. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I'll definitely be sinking many hours into this game as soon as my schedule permits it.

So, yeah, discuss Mass Effect 2. What do you think of it?

Edit: I know there's another Mass Effect 2 thread, but that one is specifically about whether or not the loot system in the game is balanced. This is just for general Mass Effect 2 discussion. Yes. THIS thread is. We don't need 800 threads for every game. We barely need separate Mass Effect threads for 1 and 2. - ST
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Xaddak

Re: Mass Effect 2 is too hard to type. ME2

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:53 am UTC

I just got my first gun upgrade. I can personally say that yes, drops are MUCH more rare, but it is MUCH more satisfying to get a new gun now. They're actually different. Instead of Tsunami I upgrading to Tsunami II, and being the same thing with just marginally better stats, my regular assault rifle got upgraded to this burst fire highly accurate assault rifle - and you can switch back, if you don't like it. I'm sold on the loot system already.

-X

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:52 am UTC

So, is there any way to change the resolution from inside the game? Cause, uh, the configuration utility crashes on me, and the text is unreadable because of how low resolution it is.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:08 am UTC

I really love all the dialogue in this game.

THIS RECRUITS IS A 20 KILO FERRUS SLUG. FEEL THE WEIGHT. EVERY 5 SECONDS THE MAIN GUN OF AN EVEREST CLASS DREADNOUGHT ACCELERATES ONE TO 1.3% OF LIGHT SPEED. IT IMPACTS WITH THE FORCE OF A 38 KILOTON BOMB. THAT IS THREE TIMES YIELD OF THE CITY BUSTER DROPPED ON HIROSHIMA BACK ON EARTH. THAT MEANS SIR ISAAC NEWTON IS THE DEADLIEST SON OF A BITCH IN SPACE!

NOW, SERVICEMAN BURNSIDE, WHAT IS NEWTON'S FIRST LAW?

Sir, an object in motion stays in motion, sir.

NO CREDIT FOR INCOMPLETE ANSWERS, MAGGOT!

Sir, Unless acted upon by an outside force, sir!

DAMN STRAIGHT!

I DARE TO ASSUME YOU IGNORANT JACKASSES KNOW THAT SPACE IS EMPTY. ONCE YOU FIRE THIS HUNK OF METAL, IT KEEPS GOING 'TILL IT HITS SOMETHING. THAT CAN BE A SHIP, OR THE PLANET BEHIND THAT SHIP. IT MIGHT GO OFF INTO DEEP SPACE, AND HIT SOMEBODY ELSE IN 10,000 YEARS. IF YOU PULL THE TRIGGER ON THIS, YOU ARE RUINING SOMEONE'S DAY, SOMEWHERE, SOMETIME. THAT IS WHY YOU CHECK YOUR TARGETS. THAT IS WHY YOU WAIT FOR THE COMPUTER TO GIVE YOU A DAMN FIRING SOLUTION.

THAT IS WHY, SERVICEMAN CHUNG, WE DO NOT EYEBALL IT. WE ARE NOT COWBOYS SHOOTING FROM THE HIP!
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I just got my first gun upgrade. I can personally say that yes, drops are MUCH more rare, but it is MUCH more satisfying to get a new gun now. They're actually different. Instead of Tsunami I upgrading to Tsunami II, and being the same thing with just marginally better stats, my regular assault rifle got upgraded to this burst fire highly accurate assault rifle - and you can switch back, if you don't like it. I'm sold on the loot system already.

This is what I wanted to hear. As long as hey threw away the uninteresting Tsunami I-II-III system, i'm happy. Rare but important drops are just as good, and could actually be better than traditional mass random drop situations. Depends on the game, I guess. I'll be picking this up when i get time to play it. It's looking pretty awesome

Return to “Gaming”