Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SirBryghtside

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:On the flip side, if you're like me and you wind up playing the first soonish and end up being a fan* for important clarification, then you'll have to decide whether to wait months to get the others or pay full price in the interim. I've done the latter before. The other complication is if the bundle includes something that isn't sold separately. For example, I picked up Dragon Age a couple years back, and was waffling on whether to get the DLC or no. I wound up with "no." But then I wanted it. And Bioware/EA sells it individually, but it's actually cheaper to wait for a Steam sale and get the DA:O collection that gets the DLC when it's steeply discounted. So I essentially bought the base game twice. (I did that before when I bought Portal and, later, the Orange Box and then the bastards at Valve didn't even let me gift away my old Portal copy. I still have a sour opinion of even Steam-like DRM because of that, and won't pay full-price for almost anything that has similar DRM.)

* important clarification I'm not talking about the Bioshock games particularly, which I have not played and don't plan on for reasons that are probably pretty specific to me. Rather, I'm talking more generally about how I get really curious as to how the story/game is going to continue in the future.

Yeah, that's the other side of this, but for me, my version's happened a lot more often - and when it hasn't, I've just picked up the other games later and it hasn't really been a huge problem. I guess there's also a bit of bias here, as I didn't care for BioShock at all, but I'd probably say the same for any game.

And yeah, I had those problems with DRM and whatever (the Portal one word-for-word and for the other just swap out 'Dragon Age' for 'Fallout: New Vegas').There's not really an easy way around it, so I just stick to a rule of thumb of never buying the DLC until I've played the game and can make a judgement call.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm UTC

The latest round of deals doesn't have anything interesting. I guess Torchlight 2 maybe, but I already own the first, and have put all of 10 minutes into it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

I was hoping for Double Dragon Neon for $2.50.

Rayman Legends for $10 is still rather more than I'd like to pay, but at this rate I really have to doubt if it will get much cheaper soon.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:30 pm UTC

The thing about Torchlight is - I have no idea why people want to use RTS controls for a third-person game.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Rayman Legends for $10 is still rather more than I'd like to pay, but at this rate I really have to doubt if it will get much cheaper soon.
This is one I'd like to pick up, but also haven't seen drop below the $10 mark I think.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:04 pm UTC

Played a little more Don't Starve. I'm enjoying it, but wish there was a little more guidance on what to do. I can build a bunch of stuff, but don't really know how to get certain things I need. And somehow completely missed the 'farming' tab thingy until last night. I've been doing well on resources kinda, but was having to range far afield to find bushes and carrots. And apparently at Day 7, monsters are released that will demolish me.

Oh, and heard via reddit that newegg is having a sale on digital downloads. So check that out I guess.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:41 am UTC

Amidst all the fuss of Castle Crashers going on sale, I read too late that the DLC was available for eighteen cents. Maybe it'll come back.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:17 pm UTC

Well crap. Accidently double bought Rogue Legacy. Anyone want to trade?

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

I've always been kind of interested in that game, and I have a spare copy of VVVVVV and Super Hexagon if you're interested :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm UTC

Rogue Legacy is on my Wishlist. I have in my Steam Inventory for trade:
Audiosurf
Cogs
Defense Grid
Aaaa! A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
Dirt 2

I also have unclaimed keys for:
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Antichamber
FEZ
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Aaaa! For the Awesome

Let me know if you're willing to trade for any of those.
Actually, if anyone out there is looking to trade, let me know.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Well crap. Accidently double bought Rogue Legacy. Anyone want to trade?

How do you trade games on Steam? I recently bought something I disliked and wanted to get rid of.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:43 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
emceng wrote:Well crap. Accidently double bought Rogue Legacy. Anyone want to trade?

How do you trade games on Steam? I recently bought something I disliked and wanted to get rid of.

If it's in your game library (which it will be, because you've played it), you can't trade it. If you buy it as a gift, it ends up in an inventory screen linked to your profile, and you can trade from there.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:

If it's in your game library (which it will be, because you've played it), you can't trade it. If you buy it as a gift, it ends up in an inventory screen linked to your profile, and you can trade from there.

Yep, which is why I have two. I bought a bunch of games as gifts during sales, but intended to mostly keep them. Didn't see I had RL sitting as a gift, and re-bought it.

Can someone explain wtf badges are for? Should I just sell all my cards or whatever, get myself like $1.50?

Mr. Mack wrote:Rogue Legacy is on my Wishlist. I have in my Steam Inventory for trade:

I also have unclaimed keys for:
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Antichamber
FEZ
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Aaaa! For the Awesome

Let me know if you're willing to trade for any of those.
Actually, if anyone out there is looking to trade, let me know.

Fez looks like fun. My steam account name is generalsaturnalia. Hit me up there and I'll trade you.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Can someone explain wtf badges are for? Should I just sell all my cards or whatever, get myself like $1.50?

Awards you experience, game items, emoticons, and profile backgrounds for crafting badges. Earns more Friend Slots and higher booster pack odds at higher Steam Levels. May also display badges in your profile.

Affects the daily team competition too.
Summer Sale Badge: +10 points
Foil Summer Sale Badge: +100 points
Other badges: +1 point
Other foil badges: +10 points

Gives away three Wishlist games to thirty members of the winning team, two Wishlist games to twenty members of second place, and one Wishlist game to ten members of third place. Must contribute that day, however. Presents one Summer Sale card to anyone contributing that day and one additional to contributing members of the winning team.

Crafted a Summer Sale Badge earlier today. Received one hundred experience, Staff of Solarus (Sins of a Solar Empire item), :summermoon: (emoticon), Purple Team Mountaintop (Background), Steal 100 Points (Summer Sale consumable), and two Summer Sale cards (one for contributing, one for winning).
Changes its form depending on the observer.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:30 pm UTC

So last time, I mentioned Goat Simulator. Was never actually going to buy that. Serious question time: Ikaruga? Played a bit of the demo, and it was pretty cool, but heard it was 5 levels long, and I tend to like games with some depth. But sometimes you just want a good bullet-hell sort of game, right? So has anyone played it, and is it worth the price of $5 to someone like me (assuming that you know someone like me, which may or may not work).

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Played a little more Don't Starve. I'm enjoying it, but wish there was a little more guidance on what to do. I can build a bunch of stuff, but don't really know how to get certain things I need. And somehow completely missed the 'farming' tab thingy until last night. I've been doing well on resources kinda, but was having to range far afield to find bushes and carrots. And apparently at Day 7, monsters are released that will demolish me.

Oh, and heard via reddit that newegg is having a sale on digital downloads. So check that out I guess.

Yeah, read some basic survival guides; the Don't Starve wikia has some good stuff. Don't Starve is similar to Minecraft in the "throw you in the middle of nowhere with no idea how to use anything" gameplay style.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

Those of you still looking for System Shock 2 may be interested in this healthy little bundle:
http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/ ... ck-bundle/

UFO: Aftershock
UFO: Aftermath
System Shock 2
Wizardry 6 & 7
Wizardry 8
Harvester
Ascension to the Throne

All on Steam, all for $2.99.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:18 pm UTC

Fallen Enchantress is on flash sale. I got it for free more than a year ago, since I bought Elemental War of Magic, and the disaster of a release forced Stardock to give me free stuff. It's alright. If you really really like 4x games with magic, might be worth it. Otherwise, there are better 4x games out there.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Fez looks like fun. My steam account name is generalsaturnalia. Hit me up there and I'll trade you.

I'm having a difficult time finding you on Steam. You can find me at http://steamcommunity.com/id/mr_mack/
Hit me up and we'll trade.
Last edited by Mr. Mack on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:35 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:30 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:So last time, I mentioned Goat Simulator. Was never actually going to buy that. Serious question time: Ikaruga? Played a bit of the demo, and it was pretty cool, but heard it was 5 levels long, and I tend to like games with some depth. But sometimes you just want a good bullet-hell sort of game, right? So has anyone played it, and is it worth the price of $5 to someone like me (assuming that you know someone like me, which may or may not work).

Ikaruga is one of the best bullet-hell shooters I've played. The polarity swap and bullet eating mechanics are unique (or they were when it was released). Admittedly it is short, so I wouldn't necessarily pay more than that, but to me it is worth it. Also, I highly recommend having a joystick or analog controller to play.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:05 pm UTC

Ikaruga was also up for voting for $2.50 and may yet show up in a Flash sale. It's definitely on my list, but with so much else to play I can hold out against paying $5.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:49 am UTC

Space Engineers is 1/3 off. Get it. It's still in the alpha stages, but it's fun. Build ships, build small ships to launch from those ships, capture ships for scrap, devour asteroids, build giant megaprojects for no reason at all. If you played Minecraft, and spent more time than is healthy messing with redstone constructions, but wished it was in space, it's for you.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:37 pm UTC

So apparently even though you can't buy the non-Director's Cut of Deus Ex HR anymore, you still have to shell out extra dollars if you have the non-Director's Cut and want the Director's Cut. Eugh. I think I can wait for it to show up in a bundle or something.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:04 pm UTC

Peggle is free.

You know, if you hate yourself.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:So apparently even though you can't buy the non-Director's Cut of Deus Ex HR anymore, you still have to shell out extra dollars if you have the non-Director's Cut and want the Director's Cut. Eugh. I think I can wait for it to show up in a bundle or something.

There's honestly no point in having the non-Director's Cut. The only changes are minor additions like integration of DLC (before, Missing Link was like a separate game even though it slots into the story) and a bit of additional design to make the bosses more bearable. Just buy the Director's Cut - in my opinion at least, it's a game well worth getting.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:55 pm UTC

Baldur's Gate II enhanced edition for $6.24, if you didn't get it when it came out. Still need to get around to finishing BGI Enhanced.

Gwydion

Postby Gwydion » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:24 pm UTC

I bought extra copies of Hammerwatch from the last Humble sale, hoping to play with some friends, but it turns out several of them already owned the game. I still have a few steam keys left if anyone is interested. For those who aren't already familiar, Hammerwatch is a modernized Gauntlet with 5 classes, lots of secrets, local and online co-op, and a level editor. Lots of fun!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:06 pm UTC

Well, guess that's it then.

Don't Starve
The Stanley Parable
Gone Home
Epic Battle Fantasy 4 (purchased on a whim)
Garry's Mod
Rayman Legends
Steamworld Dig (also something of a whim)
And I think I'll buy the Castle Crashers DLC.

There's other stuff I'd like to get, but nothing that can't wait until it's gotten cheaper.

Don't forget to marketplace your leftover cards.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

There's a huge deal for the Saints Row series. It looks like 20$ for Saints Row II, III, IV, and all their DLC. I saw this deal earlier in the week but couldn't find it before they took it out the listing. Glad it's back
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

Anyone know how long it usually takes Steam Support to respond? Trying to recover my really old account, and curious about how long it will take. Doesn't matter too much, only game I had on there was Halflife 2, but I wanted to re-install it.

Zohar
COMMANDER PORN

Postby Zohar » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:14 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Anyone know how long it usually takes Steam Support to respond? Trying to recover my really old account, and curious about how long it will take. Doesn't matter too much, only game I had on there was Halflife 2, but I wanted to re-install it.

Months to never? I don't remember if they ever answered my question to them a couple of years back.
Mighty Jalapeno: "See, Zohar agrees, and he's nice to people."
SecondTalon: "Still better looking than Jesus."

Not how I say my name

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

Zohar wrote:
emceng wrote:Anyone know how long it usually takes Steam Support to respond? Trying to recover my really old account, and curious about how long it will take. Doesn't matter too much, only game I had on there was Halflife 2, but I wanted to re-install it.

Months to never? I don't remember if they ever answered my question to them a couple of years back.

Damn. Not rebuying yet another game I already own.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:59 am UTC

Only a couple weeks ago I paid 15 USD for Creeper World III, and I think it was worth it. Now it's on the Indie Gala Monday bundle for less than 2 USD with a few other games I haven't played.

If you like real-time strategy, you can try out a demo of all the Creeper World games on kongregate. I usually dislike RTS but Creeper World is an exception, I think it's lots of fun.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:55 pm UTC

Think I'm gonna grab the new Magic when it comes out. Only question is if the amount I play will make the Complete Edition a good enough deal. Thoughts?

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:04 am UTC

Jesse wrote:Think I'm gonna grab the new Magic when it comes out. Only question is if the amount I play will make the Complete Edition a good enough deal. Thoughts?

Magic as in, Magic the Gathering? If so, I might play with you, Jessie-dear. (And if not, we really should catch up anyways.)
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:46 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Think I'm gonna grab the new Magic when it comes out. Only question is if the amount I play will make the Complete Edition a good enough deal. Thoughts?

Read the reviews. I haven't played 2014, but one review was very telling. IIRC It said something like 2014 lets you create your own decks in a draft or sealed deck format(something like that) with random cards. Except to prevent players from re-rolling constantly to get the 'best' deck, they locked the number of decks you can have - unless you pay to get more deck slots. But yeah, read the Magic 2014 reviews. I was going to get it during the sale for $3, but what I read convinced me otherwise.,

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:11 pm UTC

The new one will be 2015 though?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:30 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:The new one will be 2015 though?

Yes, but each yearly version is usually about the same. They add a new feature or remove something, but I doubt they'll pull something that makes them money.

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:23 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Read the reviews. I haven't played 2014, but one review was very telling. IIRC It said something like 2014 lets you create your own decks in a draft or sealed deck format(something like that) with random cards. Except to prevent players from re-rolling constantly to get the 'best' deck, they locked the number of decks you can have - unless you pay to get more deck slots. But yeah, read the Magic 2014 reviews. I was going to get it during the sale for $3, but what I read convinced me otherwise.,

I've long since made my peace with the fact that the Duels of the Planeswalkers games will almost certainly never actually give anything approaching a decent deck building setup. The old Microprose Magic game was great, but with Magic Online being such a cash cow for Wizards we will never see its like again. My biggest beef with Magic 2014 is/was that I just didn't find more than one or two of the preconstructed decks to be any fun to play, either because they were just retreads of decks from previous versions, they lacked any interesting mechanics or cards, or they were just plain badly constructed.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:12 pm UTC

Rumour has it that Duels15 is supposed to have a better deck-building than Duels14, but I can't confirm that.

Return to “Gaming”