Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Felstaff » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm UTC

Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

Just stumbled across this.

It's a website with RSS feeds about online distribution system sales.
Pretty cool, in my opinion.
Last edited by Dthen on Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

Wow, that is cool.

Too bad it doesn't do GOG.

Edit: I need to play multiplayer games with you people. I miss playing multiplayer.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Windowlicker

Postby Windowlicker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:10 pm UTC

I'm down for any multiplayer gaming I can get in on, and as I Am A Student, bedtime is not a concept I can grasp.
Well, that counts as long as I already own the game and my uni internet will let me connect (it's a bit curious: it'll let me connect to all the mmos I have played, but not LoL or CoD servers).

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Gah, I find myself ambivalent over whether to spend two bucks on Alpha Protocol.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:00 am UTC

http://www.gog.com/en/page/dnd_promo/?u ... =dnd_promo\

All D&D games up to 60% off at GOG. I already have Planescape from them... but now I guess I will pick up the rest(Although I technically also have Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 on disc, I could use a digital copy).
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22 am UTC

Well, that just gave me the incentive to get them. The main one I want to play is Planescape Torment, but I guess I should see if I could give Baldurs Gate another go.
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

I find their marketing practices to be a great deal more misleading than Steam. The games aren't 60% off; the $35 bundle pack is 60% off.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:07 pm UTC

Which would be fine if they said the games are 60% off. They're up to 60% off with a bigger discount the more of those games you get at once. It's even spelled out in the news post for the promo:

We're starting with a 20% discount if you buy one game from the offer. Every another game from the promo that you add to the order increases your discount with another 5%, so 2 games get you 25% off, 3 games get you 30% off and so on, until you get a 60% discount on your order of the whole D&D collection. Of course if you already own some of the games from the promo they will count towards your final discount!

The promo works exactly as advertised. It's also pretty cool that you can still get the discounted rates if you've already purchased one or more of the games from gog.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:17 pm UTC

The 35$ bundle pack isn't 60% off -- the 85$ bundle pack is 60% off.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Also, there's a downloading contest on GOG right now. Be the 6M download, and you get all their games free!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

I'm looking at this Steam 'Sega Collector Pack' deal here, which... I just don't get it. Maybe it's me. 85% off, guys.
Attachments
deal.png
Deal
deal.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 5741 times
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I'm looking at this Steam 'Sega Collector Pack' deal here, which... I just don't get it. Maybe it's me. 85% off, guys.
Unless you really want just about every game in there, it's already cheaper to buy most of it individually...

I think it's funny on the GoG sale that the pack is actually MORE expensive if you don't want the temple of elemental evil.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:03 am UTC

Xeio wrote:
Goldstein wrote:I'm looking at this Steam 'Sega Collector Pack' deal here, which... I just don't get it. Maybe it's me. 85% off, guys.
Unless you really want just about every game in there, it's already cheaper to buy most of it individually...

I think it's funny on the GoG sale that the pack is actually MORE expensive if you don't want the temple of elemental evil.

Is it meant to be bad? Because I know next to nothing about Dragonshard or Demon Stone and I've only heard of Temple of Elemental Evil. I'm wondering if it's worth paying the extra $4 for those three or not (since I already have NWN Diamond).

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:33 am UTC

Xeio wrote:

Even then, the whole pack costs over twice the price of all of its contents.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:23 pm UTC

Individual price looks like the discounted sum of the prices.
Pack price is the non-discounted sum.

Or did you check?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Gah, I find myself ambivalent over whether to spend two bucks on Alpha Protocol.

ambivalent is how I feel owning alpha-protocol.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

big boss

Postby big boss » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:23 am UTC

New Humble Frozen Bundle. Has anyone tried or heard anything any of the games? I know trine is good but I already have that.

edit: spell check
Last edited by big boss on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:20 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Frozen Synapse is AMAZING. How the game plays out is pretty hard for me to describe, but it's a tactical, turn-based shooter. The turns take place simultaneously -- i.e., I put in a turn's worth of orders, you put in yours, and they both go off at the same time. Because it's a turn-based, multiplayer game, you can have as many games going on as you want.

I REALLY recommend you play a good bit of the single player before delving into MP, as there's a lot of little things to learn. I got crushed because I didn't fully understand reaction times and how not moving and aiming affected that. Also, cover worked somewhat unintuitively in my opinion.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:23 am UTC

<3 Trine
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:52 am UTC

big boss wrote:New Humble Frozen Bundle. Has anyone tried or head anything any of the games? I know trine is good but I already have that.

I've got Shadowgrounds, and it's not too bad. It's a top-down shooter not unlike Alien Swarm, if you've played that (if not, it's free on Steam). The campaign is longer than Alien Swarm's, but Shadowgrounds lacks some polish in other areas - the cutscenes and voice acting are pretty silly, the multiplayer is tacked on (and no network play, I believe), and the game is also a bit buggy. The core gameplay is fun, though, and that's the main thing.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:55 am UTC

Ooh, Frozen synapse for the cost of one game!

I didn't want to buy two copies, now I don't have to. :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

X-post from the FT thread in General:

You, sir, name? wrote:If you have a GOG account and read this within some 30 odd hours, you can download Broken Sword: Director's Cut, and the original game (which is available as one of the bonus contents) for free.

You don't actually have to download the game, just click the download link and it's added to your account.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

I've bought all the previous humble bundles.

Each time I do, I find most of the games unplayable (or at least I don't like them), some of them are too hard for me to play (like that artsy time game) or I just don't care.

I have a feeling the same can be said about this bundle. I don't think I'll pick it up this time. I can't afford to just buy games that I'm not going to enjoy or play.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:13 pm UTC

I didn't buy any of the other bundles, having heard similar reviews of most of the games as Jessica has related. However, good hopes for Frozen Synapse!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:14 pm UTC

I came to tell everyone about the free Broken Sword on GOG.com. I see someone beat me to it.

I have a question about the Humble Bundles. I missed out on Humble Bundle 3, which is a shame because there are a few games from the bundle I wanted. But I heard that as the offer got closer to its time limit, they kept adding more games into the bundle. Did the people who had already paid get those games that were added later? Or is there an advantage to waiting until the deal is about to close, just to see if they keep adding stuff?

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:15 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I've bought all the previous humble bundles.

Each time I do, I find most of the games unplayable (or at least I don't like them), some of them are too hard for me to play (like that artsy time game) or I just don't care.

I have a feeling the same can be said about this bundle. I don't think I'll pick it up this time. I can't afford to just buy games that I'm not going to enjoy or play.

My experience with them has also generally been "One or two good games plus a bunch of junk". Fortunately, since it's pay-what-you-like, you can just pay what you think is a reasonable price for the one game you're actually going to play.

New User wrote:I have a question about the Humble Bundles. I missed out on Humble Bundle 3, which is a shame because there are a few games from the bundle I wanted. But I heard that as the offer got closer to its time limit, they kept adding more games into the bundle. Did the people who had already paid get those games that were added later? Or is there an advantage to waiting until the deal is about to close, just to see if they keep adding stuff?

If you already bought it (and, I think, paid more than whatever the average price was at your time of purchase, for some of the stuff) you did get all the games which were added later. If you paid less than the average price there is also an option to increase your payment and thus access the bonus games. There's not really any advantage to waiting.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:<3 Trine

I love me some ponies. For those who don't know and have been living under a rock, Trine is a a platform puzzler with a little bit of fighter where you play three characters, only one of whom can manifest at any given time. It has an amazing bedtime fairytale vibe and is all-around a really fun and warm game to play.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

Amazon.com is having a sale right now, buy one game and get a second 50% off. Of course it only applies if both games belong to a specific list, but there is some good stuff on there. I'm planning on buying Disgaea 4 and Catherine for PS3 once I figure out if this offer applies to Canada (Amazon.ca) as well...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r ... d_i=468642

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:46 pm UTC

DAMN YOU HUMBLY BUMBLY!!!
So, now trauma is on the list. I actually wanted to play that - to the point where I have it on my to buy list on steam.

Curse you Humbly bumbly 4, the not-fourth. I shall purchase you for $5 when I get home and play Trauma.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:I'm planning on buying Disgaea 4 and Catherine for PS3 once I figure out if this offer applies to Canada (Amazon.ca) as well...
Alas, that tends to rarely be the case.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:33 am UTC

Portal 2 has now gone On Sale, if you sensibly waited.

If you're even more sensible, you'll wait until the holiday sale, when it will inevitably be even more absurdly cheaper. I, alas, am probably not that sensible.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:08 am UTC

Is that sensible? If you're sensible enough to wait for the rest of your life, you won't have to pay anything at all for it.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

Preorders via Amazon for the Battlefield 3 limited edition digital download version for $42 today for those of you who want to save some money and don't care about boxes.

*Crossposting to BF3 thread*
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:43 pm UTC

As posted in the BF3 thread, $42 on Amazon's (new?) download service.

Also unmentioned there: Assasin's Creed Revelations for $35 from Amazon's download service as well.

I guess they know the price of getting people to jump distribution platforms for the first game...

EDIT: I should read up a bit more often.

Gopher of Pern

Postby Gopher of Pern » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

Atari games on special at GOG.com.

Master of Orion, Blood, Total Annihilation, Star Control plus others, all $3 or $5!
Look In My Face
Stare In My Soul
I Begin To Stupefy

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

Is Master of Orion one of those games I've heard good things about?
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:31 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Is Master of Orion one of those games I've heard good things about?

Yes.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Masters of Orion 2 is exceptionally good. They really should have made a sequel.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Decker wrote:Is Master of Orion one of those games I've heard good things about?

..how the hell have you been on this forum for this long and I just not bought you the fucking thing already? FUCK! BEARS! BUY IT!

By that, I mean that generally speaking, for good or ill, when people think of '90s 4X Space Games, they're thinking of the Master of Orion series.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Return to “Gaming”