Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Beardhammer

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Beardhammer » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I mean, the action takes place in a region a quarter the size of the screen, and consists of watching square pixels running around! It seems to me a fairly trivial enhancement to make the action a little larger and replace the squares with stick figures having two frames of animation, or something.
How would it improve the game? How would it improve the game's art style and design concept?
It would reduce eye strain?

If they're shooting for a particular aesthetic, that's fine, I guess, but there's really no reason everything has to be so darn tiny.

Did you try adjusting the resolution? My eyesight sucks and I didn't have eyestrain problems.

Unfortunately, it is also inconsistent with the big splashy zoomy rockets and helicopters.

You forgot the surf guitar music, too. And don't forget the president being in an iron lung with twin chainguns continuously firing.

AZS isn't supposed to make sense. Why are you trying to make it make sense? Just enjoy it for what it is - a cheap, fun indie game with high replayability.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:12 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
Xeio wrote:Or adding another dimension! Oh wait...

No, that doesn't work because Mario didn't have a fundamental change by going from 2D sidescrolling to 3D.

That's a pretty fundamental change, actually, unless you're only considering New Super Mario Bros. That said, the Super Mario Galaxy games are fantastic, and that's coming from someone who never got into Mario 64.

On topic: I got Universal Sandbox, and started it up. I eventually had to go somewhere, so I clicked the X to close, but that apparently didn't kill the process, so a day later I noticed I had "played" 20 hours of it, which is kind of annoying.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

[quote="Endless MikeOn topic: I got Universal Sandbox, and started it up. I eventually had to go somewhere, so I clicked the X to close, but that apparently didn't kill the process, so a day later I noticed I had "played" 20 hours of it, which is kind of annoying.[/quote]

On the other hand, if you got an achievement for idling (or a hat!) you'd probably would be pretty happy.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:On topic: I got Universal Sandbox, and started it up. I eventually had to go somewhere, so I clicked the X to close, but that apparently didn't kill the process, so a day later I noticed I had "played" 20 hours of it, which is kind of annoying.

On the other hand, if you got an achievement for idling (or a hat!) you'd probably would be pretty happy.

I didn't check after the fact, but I'm pretty sure there's a 10 hour achievement, so yeah, probably.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm UTC

Witcher 2 on sale on impulse for $33. Just in time for patch 1.3

Metro 2033 for $10 as well (though it's steamworks so you'll have to play it with steam anyway...)

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 am UTC

Implying that someone would be dumb enough to waste money on either The Witcher game :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 am UTC

I spent actual money on the first Witcher game. I got bored of it very quickly.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:35 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I spent actual money on the first Witcher game. I got bored of it very quickly.

I bought it for $5 on a Steam sale and still don't feel I got my money's worth. I've heard the Witcher 2 is no different.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:14 am UTC

Same here, in a sale. Because a mate of mine told me it was the best game in the whole world ever. I was unimpressed.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:30 am UTC

I've never played the Witcher, but whenever I think of it, I confuse it with the mod/mini-series DLC thing (or.. something like that) for Neverwinter Nights 1 called Witch's Wake. Did anyone play that? It was really atmospheric and heavy on plot, and it seemed to have a lot of custom dialogue and situations based on your character. Unfortunately, I only got to play chapter 1 and then they scrapped the whole thing. Such a shame.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:18 pm UTC

I've been slowly playing through The Witcher, and enjoying it quite a lot. A bit of the running back and forth all over the place is annoying, but that comes with the Adventure/RPG genre, eh?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

Well I thought the sequel was well worth it. Bit shorter than the first game, but still one of the best action RPGs around (if a lot unforgiving in combat).

Granted, if you hated the first game, you probably wouldn't like the second, not really a surprise there though.

Decker

Postby Decker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:54 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:I've been slowly playing through The Witcher, and enjoying it quite a lot. A bit of the running back and forth all over the place is annoying, but that comes with the Adventure/RPG genre, eh?

Well, yeah, but not to the degree The Witcher does it in my experience. Maybe they don't really, but it seems like the quests really drag on for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad game. I just wish that they didn't make it so difficult to get quests completed and turned in.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Same here, in a sale. Because a mate of mine told me it was the best game in the whole world ever. I was unimpressed.

I play games on their hardest difficulties. I enjoy the challenge.

I don't enjoy being forced to watch a 5 minute dialogue scene, then immediately be forced into an extremely hard boss fight (it stuns you and then essentially one-shots you while you're stunned, and that's if it doesn't kill the chick you're supposed to protect first) without being allowed to save beforehand. Boss fight starts, you die, and you immediately have to watch that 5 minute dialogue scene again.

No. Just, no.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:I've never played the Witcher, but whenever I think of it, I confuse it with the mod/mini-series DLC thing (or.. something like that) for Neverwinter Nights 1 called Witch's Wake. Did anyone play that? It was really atmospheric and heavy on plot, and it seemed to have a lot of custom dialogue and situations based on your character. Unfortunately, I only got to play chapter 1 and then they scrapped the whole thing. Such a shame.

Things that make me want to stab people until the hurting stops - that Witch's Wake got scrapped.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:09 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
I play games on their hardest difficulties. I enjoy the challenge.

The only problem with that is that difficulty is not a constant set value for every game. What is one game's ultra-hard might be as challenging as another's very-easy-super-noob mode. And there are plenty of games that just become not fun for most people when played on the hardest setting.

Something like Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden on the hardest settings is generally about as enjoyable as repeatedly hitting your head against cement, unless you've spent solid months learning the game, and that's a whole other ball of wax. Likewise, pretty much any game Nintendo has made in the last 10 years on the hardest settings you could probably play half-awake just fine.

There's a big difference between challenge, and just being a masochist. Although in what you described, that has nothing to do with challenge, and is just shitty design and a really cheap opening to a boss. Anyone would find that frustrating. In fact i'm pretty sure that was where Yahtzee (zero punctuation) said he gave up, was having to watch that long scene again just to die. That sucks.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:15 am UTC

Having beaten The Witcher, I'm pretty sure I know which boss fight you're talking about and, uh... I just hit escape to skip through all that when I died and had to reload.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Yea, I don't know why some people couldn't figure out how to skip that cutscene...

I thought it was pretty hilarious when Geralt just goes *squish*, because, hey, giant thing about to squish you... and you didn't bother to move out of the way. The only real issue I had was the end of the fight, I had to look up what you needed to do to finish it (apparently in path 1.3 they're making this more obvious with a glowing icon).

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

Now I think we're talking about different parts. I was talking about the first boss fight.

And now I'm not sure what squish you're talking about. Or what glowing icon.

Xeio

Postby Xeio » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:40 pm UTC

*cough*

I may have been thinking of The Witcher 2. Yea, that boss was tricky in the first one, the haste potion helped a lot I think for that. I skipped through the text fairly quickly there for the two times I died, but it would have been nice to have a save point at the actual fight.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:44 pm UTC

Ha. Yeah, I haven't gotten the second one yet.

That first boss battle in The Witcher (1) was definitely frustrating. I'm fairly sure it was the toughest battle in the entire game. I'm glad I made myself get past it, though, because I ended up really liking the rest.

Grave

Postby Grave » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:35 am UTC

I don't remember the first boss battle being particularly bad, but it's been a while since I played. Though to be fair, the entire first act of The Witcher is pretty boring and terrible, and is pretty much the only reason I've never been able to replay it. The rest is pretty good though.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

Today's daily deal on steam is Shattered Horizon for five dollars.

This game is great, if you have five dollars and a DX10 capable PC, you should definitely check it out.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:01 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Today's daily deal on steam is Shattered Horizon for five dollars.

This game is great, if you have five dollars and a DX10 capable PC, you should definitely check it out.

It's worth it as a tech demo if nothing else. If you can run it with all settings maxed out, it's one hell of a gorgeous game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

Will no one comment on the availability of Humble Indie Bundle 3?

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:08 pm UTC

No, but I will say that I plan on playing the copy of Dungeons of Dreadmore that I bought last night.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Will no one comment on the availability of Humble Indie Bundle 3?

Just found out about it today. It's hard to beat that kind of deal, but the only game that looked interesting was And Yet it Moves.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Yeah, I forgot to mention it. I paid $10 since I already have all but two of the games.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

There's only one game this time around that I don't have, so I'm a little torn as to whether to buy it or not.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:50 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:Today's daily deal on steam is Shattered Horizon for five dollars.

It's worth it as a tech demo if nothing else. If you can run it with all settings maxed out, it's one hell of a gorgeous game.

The multiplayer is tons of fun too... if you can find anyone else to play it with.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:

The multiplayer is tons of fun too... if you can find anyone else to play it with.

What do you mean "too"? It is a multiplayer game; there's nothing else to it.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Tech demo.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:

What do you mean "too"? It is a multiplayer game; there's nothing else to it.

I mean it's tons of fun in addition to looking great...
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 pm UTC

I picked up this game as part of an indie pack on Steam in December. I've been trying to play it periodically since then (about once a month) but I've never seen a single person on the servers.
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:35 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:

I picked up this game as part of an indie pack on Steam in December. I've been trying to play it periodically since then (about once a month) but I've never seen a single person on the servers.

The trick is to wait until a free weekend, then play non-stop for 48 hours to get your fill of it.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:32 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:

Just found out about it today. It's hard to beat that kind of deal, but the only game that looked interesting was And Yet it Moves.

What about VVVVVV?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:30 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:

What about VVVVVV?

Meh. It's just a variation on platform hell games. Granted, it's a variation that's a lot more interesting than, say, Super Meat Boy... but it's still just a platform hell game. And Yet it Moves might fall into that category, too, though.

existential_elevator
The awesomest one!

Postby existential_elevator » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 am UTC

I loved VVVVV. It was interesting, and never got too frustrating.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:02 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:If you can run it with all settings maxed out, it's one hell of a gorgeous game.

It's really not, especially for how poorly it runs. The textures are really low resolution, and the shadows look awful. Nothing about the games graphics stand out as impressive. Crysis looks and runs better.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:If you can run it with all settings maxed out, it's one hell of a gorgeous game.

It's really not, especially for how poorly it runs. The textures are really low resolution, and the shadows look awful. Nothing about the games graphics stand out as impressive. Crysis looks and runs better.

Well, I can't even run DX10 but there's a dude in a gaming community who gets a boner for hardware so he runs everything maxed out. Plays TF2 in the "movie" settings (same quality they use when creating the Meet The movies) for normal gameplay, crap like that.

He's done videos for both Shattered Horizon and Crysis and I always thought SH looked better.

Return to “Gaming”