Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Re: Minecraft

Postby emceng » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:46 am UTC

That did it. Now to figure out wtf is going on in the game.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

novax6

Postby novax6 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

I'd like to try this game, but every time I get the "Fatal Error (7)" after loading, and none of the suggested fixes in the forums there worked. Is the only way to download it to buy it?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:30 am UTC

Erm, not, you should be able to get it free. Are you sure your java is up-to-date?
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:56 am UTC

Yes, you should be able to play the Survival and Creative modes for free.

BurningLed wrote:We need more people on the xkcd server. I've been playing on the vidya's servers cause xkcd is empty xD

There's an xkcd server? I did not know of this. What's it called?

Though I mostly just play /indev/ now. I keep two games going: One Paradise themed and one Hell themed.

It's because I hate how on a normal themed map, if you can't find coal on the first day, you're pretty much stuck in the dark. It makes it nearly impossible to do much of anything. With paradise, It's always day on the surface, and with hell, there's plenty of lava around. So I can always see. And if I can't find coal in either of those maps then I can always filter sunlight down the mine in the former and make a channel to bring some lava with me in the latter.

I only save to I can continue form where I left off last, I don't reload saves. I delete them if I die. It just doesn't make sense for me to go back to exploring the cave I that I died in earlier. It adds a lot, playing the game like this. There is a weightier feel to all the danger.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

Well, the server in the OP.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:18 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:Erm, not, you should be able to get it free. Are you sure your java is up-to-date?

yeah, java is up to date. I've tried deleting temp files, reinstalling, all the suggested stuff, but it still does the same thing.

What I meant is, I could only find the java in browser versions on the site, no downloadable versions anywhere I looked.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:26 pm UTC

Oh. Look up 'world of minecraft' or 'WoM', it's a pretty good downloadable client i've heard.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

I really like the current infdev level generator. The promontories and arches look really cool :). I found an awesome pond surrounded by cliffs on all sides. I can't wait for the different types of terrain (deserts, tropical, etc.)

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:57 pm UTC

Beautiful? definitely. Still buggy tough, and no underground caves yet.

Spoiler:

It liked to crash firefox when I try to close it, so I guess I'll be sticking with indev for now.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:15 pm UTC

Wyvern wrote:Beautiful? definitely. Still buggy tough, and no underground caves yet.

Spoiler:

It liked to crash firefox when I try to close it, so I guess I'll be sticking with indev for now.

That screenshot is responsible for another sale

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 am UTC

I've just been walking around looking at stuff in the new infdev; I haven't even bothered to do any mining. The only problem is I have to use safari. The upping the memory allotted to Java in the Java Preferences only seems to apply to Safari. Anyone know how to make it work for other browsers?

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 pm UTC

works in chrome for me, and it recommends firefox. only browser i don't know if it works in is IE and what self respecting computer user uses the P.O.S. browser anyway?

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

I've started playing this and have to say, it is really cool. The multiplayer creative mode is very, very fun...
Does anyone know of any good custom server software for it, though?
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:24 am UTC

I'm not sure about custom server software, but there's map editing software for hosting your own base maps on servers and a client called World of Minecraft which provides you with super-speed and flying, both of which are very convenient when building large structures. However, not all servers allow these, since they're also very convenient for griefers.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

Wow... This is surprisingly fun. :mrgreen: Minecraft definitely has a sort of Dwarf Fortress feel to it. There definitely needs to be a physics engine, though... Not necessarily a full/realistic model, but at least one where blocks will fall if they aren't attached to anything.

Has anyone made Tetris yet?

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:27 pm UTC

I hadn't even thought of doing that :D
I love seeing what others do when confronted with sandbox games.
Ⓞⓞ◯

coolguy5678

Postby coolguy5678 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Wow... This is surprisingly fun. :mrgreen: Minecraft definitely has a sort of Dwarf Fortress feel to it. There definitely needs to be a physics engine, though... Not necessarily a full/realistic model, but at least one where blocks will fall if they aren't attached to anything.
But then how are we supposed to build floating things?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm UTC

There can be a few types of blocks that aren't affected by gravity... It's just weird to see that 95% of them are.

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:There can be a few types of blocks that aren't affected by gravity... It's just weird to see that 95% of them are.

Notch said that eventually gravity would affect all blocks (except possibly admantine) I hope this does not include creative mode, which is probably the case. I can fairly safely assume that it will only make unattached blocks fall, because it would ruin everything if the sand/gravel system was used.

In a sidenote, I did actually buy this game. Totally worth it at this point.

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Yeah, I bought it too. Totally worth it.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:15 am UTC

Once the multiplayer indev comes out, this game should be wicked. Castle seiges! Mountainhomes! Battles with ones of people on each side!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 am UTC

I do hope there'll be a combat system beyond "click on people and hope they die".

Pandemic21

Postby Pandemic21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:I do hope there'll be a combat system beyond "click on people and hope they die".

Die?

I planned on joining a server for about half an hour, got sucked in for about two hours :P. I didn't see any combat system though... I seemed like multiplayer Legos... OVER THE INTERWEBZ!!

We're playing the same game, right? <_<

-Pandemic

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Have you played Survival Mode yet? :P There's a rough combat system in there.

Also, is there an official xkcd server? If not, there should be.

Pandemic21

Postby Pandemic21 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:48 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Have you played Survival Mode yet? :P There's a rough combat system in there.

Also, is there an official xkcd server? If not, there should be.

Actually, no I haven't. I've been busy making mazes and such :P.

And seconded. Is there a server that you're currently hanging out on? :D

-Pandemic

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am UTC

If there was going to be an xkcd server, what would it be like? Flat grass? some sort of theme?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm UTC

Dthen wrote:If there was going to be an xkcd server, what would it be like? Flat grass? some sort of theme?
I'm picturing cubes floating in the void...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:58 am UTC

Purple cubes?

faldion

Postby faldion » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:Anyone want to put together a level 3+ Menger Sponge? I've been able to toss up a level 2 rather quickly.

Inspired by this, I built a level 3 Menger sponge last night with a couple of other guys. It's very tedious to craft the 27x27x27 base sponge in the beginning - a level 1 sponge (which we started out with) of such dimensions consists of 14580 blocks, after all.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I also made a Sierpinski "triangle" following the Sierpinski triangle algorithm, but starting with a square instead of a triangle, as outlined in Wikipedia. The fifth iteration was the largest that fit in the 64 units of height that were available.
Spoiler:

Notch

Postby Notch » Wed May 05, 2010 8:30 am UTC

I love making menger sponges, but I've never actually finished a level 3 one, though.
I got pretty close once on a public server somewhere.

In awesomer news, only three more weeks until I work on it full time! :D

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed May 05, 2010 1:32 pm UTC

It's not a Menger Sponge until you make it out of sponge blocks.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri May 07, 2010 8:01 pm UTC

Notch wrote:I love making menger sponges, but I've never actually finished a level 3 one, though.
I got pretty close once on a public server somewhere.

Wouldn't it be quicker to code it? :P
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 pm UTC

It's not the same if you take the easy way out. In a game like Minecraft, a level editor/programmatic solution is right up there with auto-aim and limitless ammo on the cheat scale.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am UTC

I've recently got into this game a bit.

Although, the moderators (but really, the players) are often complete idiots.
Take this for example:
In a lava-survival map (a map where you build a building to protect against lava (which is harmless)), I built a massive glass "elevator" meant to be filled with lava to travel up and down in. While building it, I warned people not to build off of it, since it was going to get flooded. I built it, waited for the lava. Warned people for 5 minutes that I am about to flood my glass tower. And then I flooded my tower, which I assumed was closed (people can't be complete idiots to not heed a warning, right? Surely they would have blocked off whatever they had connected to it, right?). Guess what? The idiots hadn't even listened to me, and then complained when their stuff got flooded, even though I warned them. And then I get banned from the server by shouts of "internetmeme griefed" and a moderator who did not even listen to my side of the story. *sigh*

But the real fun of the map is the single-player survival mode (non-lava). Fighting enemies that EXPLODE WHEN YOU KILL THEM CREATING MASSIVE CRATERS is awesome. I like building lolforts on top of hills.
Last edited by Internetmeme on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:00 pm UTC

I would buy this game, if not for the fact that it doesn't even appear on the page. Firefox, ubuntu.. No dice. Netbeans works just fine, so I'm not sure what could be the problem.

EDIT: For some reason the browser plugin is not an included part of the openjdk install..
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

Dthen

Postby Dthen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 am UTC

Ladders, doors, flowing water that flows nicely, buckets...

Woo!

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

And now, boats, mine carts (which you can modify to either transport items instead of people, or act as engine carts that can move on their own and push other carts) and a new material that basically acts as electrical wire.

Too cool. I'm playing this more again. :D

Levi

Postby Levi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

It transports magic, not electricity. That's an important distinction. It moves slower than the speed of light and also doesn't require a circuit in order to flow. It's pretty awesome. There's stuff on the wiki about how to create logic gates and timers with it (EDIT: I see you linked to that). Some people have made clocks and binary numeral displays.

drkfalco

Postby drkfalco » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:13 am UTC

I played it like humm, 5 days ago, and it was consuming, i mean, i starte playing it at 3pm and leave it till 11pm... yeah i had nothing more productive to do that day... but well... it would be better if i had some friends to do something, heh...

Yaal

Postby Yaal » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:18 am UTC

I've been following this in the TIGSource forums, and it seems quite nice, but nothing I would spend money on.
I'll probably regret this later.
Does the free version still have multiplayer?
Falling in love hurts so fucking much

Return to “Gaming”