Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Awia

Re: Minecraft

Postby Awia » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

Until this morning it was only the free version that had multiplayer.

On that note, Multiplayer Survival is out! rejoice!
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:12 pm UTC

Awia wrote:Until this morning it was only the free version that had multiplayer.

On that note, Multiplayer Survival is out! rejoice!

Multiplayer Survival is awesome if you get on a good server (which is rather difficult at times). On a related note, anyone want to host an XKCD server? Or get together on someone else's server?

Osha

Postby Osha » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:35 am UTC

I have a server, not sure if the outside world can connect to it yet or or not (tell me if you try it!). And it's pretty empty! and also buggy! But you can try and connect if you want: 67.60.216.83 is the IP, the port is the default port (25565). IP might change but you might be able to find it from pinging oshaberi.zapto.org

I'll leave it up until mom bugs me about leaving the computer on all the time, or I want to change OS's (so basically, mine won't be very reliable!)

EDIT: someone connected, levitated in the air for a second, and my internet died somehow... so much for that >.<

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

I have a server, it's "The Purple Cubes' SMP Server"
It runs okay most of the time but with more than 10 players or someone setting stuff on fire it starts to complain.

Last edited by Dthen on Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I'm getting a "Connection refused" error on yours, Dthen. I don't know if that means it's offline or if your firewall is blocking it or something.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Strange, it should work, there are 6 people on just now.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Internetmeme

Postby Internetmeme » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

In a lava survival server, I made a small chapel.
It was /awesome/!
Spoiler:

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:19 am UTC

Spoiler:

That was on easy mode. It's not right. Then again, it wasn't too hard after I waited for daylight.

Edit: Argh, image has been cut off. There' is a cluster of three more creepers on the far right.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Amalith

Postby Amalith » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:08 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:
Spoiler:

That was on easy mode. It's not right. Then again, it wasn't too hard after I waited for daylight.

Edit: Argh, image has been cut off. There' is a cluster of three more creepers on the far right.

Yeah, monsters actually seem to spawn more often on easy than on hard. (even more spawn on peaceful it seems, but they're all sheep, chickens, cows, and pigs)

Semi-unrelated: It's funny, just like the game, looking at this picture on my lcd screen shows a visible minecraft world. On my CRT monitor(s) it shows up as an undecipherable black blob (with yellow arrows drawn on it in this case). This really bugs me when attempting to play the game on my old computer: you just can't see anything at night. I'm somewhat surprised it affects images of the game, rather than just the game itself, especially when no other thing I've seen has the same problem.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:56 pm UTC

Actually, that was a screenshot pasted into paint, I don't know how to screenshot in-game.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:43 pm UTC

Amalith wrote:Semi-unrelated: It's funny, just like the game, looking at this picture on my lcd screen shows a visible minecraft world. On my CRT monitor(s) it shows up as an undecipherable black blob (with yellow arrows drawn on it in this case). This really bugs me when attempting to play the game on my old computer: you just can't see anything at night. I'm somewhat surprised it affects images of the game, rather than just the game itself, especially when no other thing I've seen has the same problem.

Yeah, on some (cheap and/or old) CRTs, very dark colours will come out as black. I'm not sure why you'd expect there to be a difference between the game and screenshots of the game, though - anything that's dark is going to be affected (I know that Splinter Cell is basically unplayable on such a monitor). You could try adjusting the graphics driver's colour settings, if it supports that (ATI and Nvidia drivers should).

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Purchased this game a few days ago, I've mostly been playing single player and exploring, looking for caverns.

I learned today that right clicking a door to open it works fine, but doing so while holding a pail of lava doesn't work so well... I now have a volcano where the front door of my cavern used to be.
I don't know what to do for you

Levi

Postby Levi » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:48 pm UTC

A friend of mine and I built the most rad colossus ever the other day. I planned to build a giant statue of wood, but I got tired of it after getting the waist and realizing that making arms that hung down from the shoulders would require a lot of scaffolding and planning. I named it "Pants", and it sat there for a few days before my friend got on the server and built a torso. We decided to place lava behind glass where the eyes and mouth would be. Boy, was this ever a bad idea. The lava ended up flowing all the way down the statue and burning up his pants (they were made of wood, the torso was cobblestone). It also, incidentally, burned down my super-gigantic pine tree, but that's beside the point. It took us a while to clean up the mess and rebuild the pants, but now there's a wicked awesome colossus, reaching up to the highest possible level, standing over the entrance to the biggest mine I've ever dug, pointing out to sea. When the night feature was added, we found that the lava provided the unexpected benefit of causing it to appear that a giant stone head is floating in the sky, watching.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:25 am UTC

Found this natural feature, immediately knew what I had to do:
Spoiler:
we aint no vampire bats.png

Other than the fire, it's exactly as I found it.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:48 am UTC

Levi wrote:A friend of mine and I built the most rad colossus ever the other day. I planned to build a giant statue of wood, but I got tired of it after getting the waist and realizing that making arms that hung down from the shoulders would require a lot of scaffolding and planning. I named it "Pants", and it sat there for a few days before my friend got on the server and built a torso. We decided to place lava behind glass where the eyes and mouth would be. Boy, was this ever a bad idea. The lava ended up flowing all the way down the statue and burning up his pants (they were made of wood, the torso was cobblestone). It also, incidentally, burned down my super-gigantic pine tree, but that's beside the point. It took us a while to clean up the mess and rebuild the pants, but now there's a wicked awesome colossus, reaching up to the highest possible level, standing over the entrance to the biggest mine I've ever dug, pointing out to sea. When the night feature was added, we found that the lava provided the unexpected benefit of causing it to appear that a giant stone head is floating in the sky, watching.

That sounds hilarious! You should have filmed it for youtube.
I'm tempted to get the full game when it's done. Not sure if I can agree to £15 on a beta :/
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:49 am UTC

Technical Ben wrote:I'm tempted to get the full game when it's done. Not sure if I can agree to £15 on a beta :/
It's in 'Alpha' still, but it's half off right now (€9.95), and according to the purchase page, "You never have to pay again! You get all future versions of the game, including all expansions and addons."

Canineteeth

Postby Canineteeth » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:24 pm UTC

THis thing is the new babysitter for my baby brother. All he does is mine down and floods everything with lava or water, so I just run a new level (I'd be banned from every server if I left him in a multiplayer place). THat said, its fun even though larger structures take a load of work because of the scaffolding (Even with flying enabled).

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:52 am UTC

Anybody still playin' this on multiplayer?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Glmclain

Postby Glmclain » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:53 am UTC

Servers are down FUUUUU-
You Samoans are all the same! You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture!

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:27 am UTC

I always forget how scary this game is. I'm almost regretting trying to play it at nearly 3am.

On the bright side though, it spawned me a snow world! :mrgreen:

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:54 am UTC

For anyone who's hesitant on pulling the trigger: It's free for the weekend. Try it

Edit: This here. An amazing spawn
http://i.imgur.com/k7Iue.jpg
Includes this area.
Attachments
World1.zip
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 123 times

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:33 am UTC

This is a great day to finally get around to downloading this... stupid server.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Ari Maze

Postby Ari Maze » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:03 pm UTC

I needed to reinstall the game after the last updates... and it was even better after all:
yay sneaking and bridges!!!

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:08 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:For anyone who's hesitant on pulling the trigger: It's free for the weekend. Try it

Edit: This here. An amazing spawn
http://i.imgur.com/k7Iue.jpg
Includes this area.

Really freee?!?!?! Oh, it's all down now. :(
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:57 pm UTC

It's down, yes. That's why it's free. The login server exploded under the load and Notch decided that everyone should be allowed to play it free until he fixes it. When you log in, just type in anything and it'll work

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:02 pm UTC

Yep. Playing now. Beats me if Multi works, but I don't care because holy crap Crafting is complicated until you get the hang of it (I'm assuming) and yet I can see where I'm going to love the fuck out of this game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Yes. This makes me want to buy the game so much. Are there monsters in the single player version? I haven't seen any yet.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Coin

Postby Coin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:59 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Yes. This makes me want to buy the game so much. Are there monsters in the single player version? I haven't seen any yet.

They come out at night or spawn in the darkness of caverns. Daylight sets them aflame and kills many of them so you won't find zombies and skelettons during daytime.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 pm UTC

Ah... I got scared when it got dark and hid up a mountain until it got light again. That explains that then.
Ⓞⓞ◯

Wyvern

Postby Wyvern » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

There are spiders too, (scary, huge, jump at you ow ow ow ahhhhhh runnnnn) and they don't burn up in the sunlight. They turn docile during the day though, so they'll only attack you when it's dark.

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

There won't be any if you've set the difficulty to peaceful, though.

Awia

Postby Awia » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:37 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Beats me if Multi works.
It works fine, but you can log in as anyone because the auth servers are down. Lot's of griefing at the moment.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

keozen
The Bearded FaiD Batman

Postby keozen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:23 pm UTC

I got this game last Wednesday and I must say it's AWESOME!!!

I spent the day round at a friend's yesterday, we set up a server and have started to build a civilisation. I'm currently working on an epic skybridge.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm UTC

Skybridges seem less impressive now. Yeah, I understand that crouching made everything much better, but still...

mutestorm

Postby mutestorm » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:10 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Skybridges seem less impressive now. Yeah, I understand that crouching made everything much better, but still...

My friends and I run around on a server, and spawned in random dots on the map. Since there erent any percievably different landmarks, we made giant signal towers to find each other. We then connected them all with sky bridges, effectively making a 'skyway.' Now whenever someone expands, they connect it to the skyway, and they can always find their way back to the resource pool.

uncivlengr

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:54 pm UTC

Mo0man wrote:Skybridges seem less impressive now. Yeah, I understand that crouching made everything much better, but still...
Why, because it's a pain to build without falling off every few minutes?

I figured out on my own the way to get to the very edge to add a cantilevering block is to sort of side-step back and forth at a slight angle towards the edge, rather than inching directly towards the edge. I used this to build a bridge out to a floating island beside a hoodoo-shaped feature.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:55 am UTC

Notch, your game is really awesome.

RoadieRich
The Black Hand

Postby RoadieRich » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:52 pm UTC

The Minecraft wiki is having dns caching problems. The following command will fix it on OSX and linux:

Code: Select all

sudo echo "173.192.164.106 minecraftwiki.net www.minecraftwiki.net" >> /etc/hosts

If you're on windows, you'll need to find your own hosts file to add the line to, or use the FIX batch file in the archive located here.
73, de KE8BSL loc EN26.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

I'm really thinking that this would be an awesome game to get into. Can't right now as I'm at work...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

RoadieRich wrote:The Minecraft wiki is having dns caching problems. The following command will fix it on OSX and linux:

Code: Select all

sudo echo "173.192.164.106 minecraftwiki.net www.minecraftwiki.net" >> /etc/hosts

If you're on windows, you'll need to find your own hosts file to add the line to, or use the FIX batch file in the archive located here.
I noticed that last night when I was trying to edit a few articles... Thanks for the fix.

Return to “Gaming”