Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

freezeblade

Re: Minecraft

Postby freezeblade » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:00 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:
freezeblade wrote:Older than that cobble castle near old spawn? Does anyone know who made that one?

There are two that I think fit this description: What is now know a Castle Clavey (formerly Narnia) and what is now known as Northern New Pigsyville (formerly Castle ???). I think Castle Clavey was started by __infinia__ soon but some days after than the first other buildings. The other castle is also from that early era. I don't have hard evidence that Rippy's UFO building is older, but seeing as the map was hosted by Rippy and presumably started as a SP map, I think it's likely. Or do you mean a different one entirely? There's also Castle Impenetrable reasonably near Spawn.

https://xkcd.flumble.nl/map/#overworld/0/14/-143/277/64 Is the one I'm talking about I think, I remember seeing it from the rain near spawn the first time I joined in. I think Roosevelt pointed it out to me when I was making the journey to Pandora from old spawn.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 pm UTC

That'd be Castle Impenetrable. That's not even one of my names, I found its name at the underground rail station. As I said, I don't have hard data (yet!), but I don't think it's the oldest building, but definitely one of them. There was a big rush of activity early 2011, then later again for the Pandora Expansion TM.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:53 am UTC

Arcology Update:

All the villager powered farms besides Wheat were broken. I'm not sure how it happened, but I have replaced the missing villagers and the farms are functioning again. Since I don't know why it happened this time, I can't guarantee it won't happen again, however I have added a villager transport system to make it easy to fix in the future.

I have also begun work on a gunpowder farm, it's currently producing about 1 stack every hour or two, I need more sticky pistons to improve it, which means I need more slime, so I'm using the gunpowder output for TNT to dig a slime farm, I think there should be some slime chunks near the arcology, that project is ongoing. If anyone wants to donate gunpowder/tnt to make that go faster, feel free, or slime/sticky pistons to improve the the gunpowder farm.

During construction of the gunpowder farm,t here was a period where mobs were spawning and dropping onto the iron farm, some got into the villager compartments and killed them all, using the new villager transport system, I have begun repopulating, the iron farm should be back online by the time I log off tonight.

I'm breeding more villagers, hoping to get some librarians with the new enchantments.

1.13 seems to have changed something that is making the gold farm work much better now, not sure what though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:11 pm UTC

I noticed the broken farms at the Arcology, but couldn't fix it myself at the time because I wasn't sure how the villager breeding works exactly. Also donated the slime I had sitting around. I'm fairly sure we have gunpowder supplies sitting around somewhere, but the problem is, as always, that I have opened so many chests on the server, I don't really know anymore where I've found what. Unless you're looking for dragon eggs. I know exactly where you can find almost a chest full of dragon eggs. For that point in time far in the future when they will actually have a purpose, I guess. Anyway, my best guess for gunpowder supplies are the mob spawner near Spawn and the one at the copy of the Circle Fort west of Plains City.

I know of one slime chunk near Whittington, but unfortunately that space is already occupied by the Undergarden, so unless there's some super compact design that fits beneath it, no luck there.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:38 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I have also begun work on a gunpowder farm, it's currently producing about 1 stack every hour or two, I need more sticky pistons to improve it, which means I need more slime, so I'm using the gunpowder output for TNT to dig a slime farm, I think there should be some slime chunks near the arcology, that project is ongoing. If anyone wants to donate gunpowder/tnt to make that go faster, feel free, or slime/sticky pistons to improve the the gunpowder farm.

I have lots of gunpowder and slime from lots of fighting mobs in Mordor. Not sure TNT would be better/faster than just digging with a good pick. Anyway, how much sticky pistons/slime/tnt/gunpowder you looking for?

A generic mob farm should produce lots of all mob drops - not just gunpowder.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:27 pm UTC

Appreciate the offer, but Radorns contribution has gotten gunpowder production up to a reasonable speed.

With a bit of prep, TNT can be much faster for larger excavations. Also, significantly easier on the carpals.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 am UTC

To: mistermoses

Your forum name is apparently different from your Minecraft name so I couldn't send this as a PM. I hope you see this message.

Anyway, I dropped off for you:
  • 2 double chests of Sandstone
  • 1 chest with weapons, armor, tools, food (9 stacks of raw cod), and Iron blocks
  • 1 chest with some stuff I looted from a nearby Pyramid

It is located in your sheep pen since that was a safe place.

mrmoses

Postby mrmoses » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 pm UTC

Thanks!

Name is the same, but not :P

I should be on sometime this weekend and will get that stuff moved to the stadium locker room/storage, then hopefully get a few more rows of the curved stadium seating done with that sandstone. Thanks again!

Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:36 pm UTC

mrmoses wrote:Thanks!

Name is the same, but not :P

I should be on sometime this weekend and will get that stuff moved to the stadium locker room/storage, then hopefully get a few more rows of the curved stadium seating done with that sandstone. Thanks again!

Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

It took me a while to figure it out, but phantoms only appear if you haven't slept in a few nights, go ahead and sleep in a bed and they won't come back for a few days. I've gotten so I keep a bed with me in my inventory for emergencies.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 am UTC

mrmoses wrote:Also, Phantoms are new to me and I just want to say that they are a bloody menace to nighttime construction.

I mentioned the phantoms here http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=42156&start=9320#p4379834 before the upgrade.

After having played for a while now on 1.13 my opinion is still the same. I have been surprise attacked by them a couple times while up in Ganalef's area on the Mordor roof while typing in sign text or organizing some chests. I don't keep track of how long it's been since I slept - allegedly it's on the F3 screen but the times I've looked for it I haven't found it. If I'm near my current spawn point and I want to be out at night without the distractions of Phantoms I sleep very briefly so as not to trigger the advance to day.

I have hunted them many times on purpose from the Green. They're easy once you get the knack for how to combat them. Too bad the Membranes they drop aren't useful in quantity like many other mob drops are. How many Potions of Slow Falling will someone actually ever use??? Repairing Elytra with them is silly when Mending is far superior. I've probably got enough Membranes to last everyone on the server until the end of time.

As you mentioned, they're certainly a concern for nighttime builders - but sleeping however briefly will alleviate that.

The only thing that still bothers me is the impact that sleeping has on resetting the spawn point - which has no decent solution for those who do not want to change their spawn point. I should plan a walking trek after not sleeping for a long time solely for the experience of encountering Phantoms in an undeveloped landscape and learning to contend with normal mobs at the same time.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:05 pm UTC

Has one of the recent updates changed anything about mob-spawning? I have on multiple occasions now found Zombies in the crop farms at the Arcology, which according to everything I know of mob spawning rules shouldn't be possible.

This is probably what broke things earlier.

The new villager transport system makes replacing the villagers in the farms pretty easy, but I'd like to figure out what's causing the problem and fix it, so I don't have to keep replacing villagers.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:02 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Has one of the recent updates changed anything about mob-spawning? I have on multiple occasions now found Zombies in the crop farms at the Arcology, which according to everything I know of mob spawning rules shouldn't be possible.

Not that I'm aware of. There must be either some non-farmland low-light place for them to spawn, they are getting in/over from outside, or perhaps infecting the villagers without getting inside the farm.

[ EDIT: It doesn't count as as a village does it? That could allow zombie sieges. ]

I don't remember enough about how the farms are set up there, but perhaps I could go back and put another set of eyes on it to help figure it out. Were all farms effected or just some of them?

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:09 pm UTC

I haven't found zombies in every farm, but every farm lost villagers around the time of the 1.13 update, and zombies may have despawned without me catching them. Also, I've found full zombies in addition to zombie villagers, I don't think infected villagers can become full zombies.

As far as the design of the farms:
  • Each farm is completely enclosed in fences (As part of the villager transport system, I added a place where a rail goes in to each blocked by a fence gate, but this was a change made after the zombie problem was first noticed)
  • The farms are well lit, there should be only one block in the center with a light level low enough to spawn mobs,but this block is farmland with a fencegate over it and shouldn't be spawnable. The low-light farm block is part of the design, it registers to the farm villagers as an unplanted farm and attracts them to the collection point. Any crops planted there will pop out at the next block update (triggered by an adjacent pressure plate when they leave) so it stays unplanted.
  • Other than farm blocks, the only surfaces in the farm enclosures are water blocks covered by carpet, and the pressure plate at the collection point. I'm pretty sure none of these should be spawnable regardless of light level. Errant dirt blocks have been caused by me working in the farms at times, but I clean them up when noticed and the light level should prevent them from being spawnable anyway (the farms are too short for endermen to teleport in and destroy farmland).
  • The farms themselves are not considered villages (unless village detection mechanics changed) It's possible that they're included in the boundary of a village, but there should be enough vertical separation between the crop farms and the iron generator that it shouldn't be a problem. And if only part of the farm is in a village boundary, it causes easily identifiable problems in how the farm functions. I can't imagine an incidental village being close enough to completely encompass the farms.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Melic

Postby Melic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:49 am UTC

Logged in to check if my builds were messed up by the update and look around. Spawn airport is gone as well as spawn airship. so Im in for a long trek back to Plains City.

The transportation map made by Raudorn is awesome.
They call me Mr. Piman

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:17 am UTC

My New Year's resolutions are to finally look into that missing region*, set up proper backups (rather than "just an outdated copy") and try to improve server performance. Well, they're not really resolutions, but I've started doing them (unlike normal resolutions).

Melic wrote:Logged in to check if my builds were messed up by the update and look around. Spawn airport is gone as well as spawn airship. so Im in for a long trek back to Plains City.

Luckily you can still teleport from Fort Upsulla and Roosevelt Airport, which are a short train ride eastwards from spawn.

EdgarJPublius wrote:Has one of the recent updates changed anything about mob-spawning? I have on multiple occasions now found Zombies in the crop farms at the Arcology, which according to everything I know of mob spawning rules shouldn't be possible.

I haven't heard of spawning rule changes ...apart from some spawning rates.
I've flown around a bit with DangerZone (it still mostly works on 1.13 with optifine) and saw a couple of stray red (i.e. badly lit) and yellow (not sure) blocks. Most of them had fences on top, so that's fine, but some might spawn mobs. The central column had a baby zombie in it and IIRC there's a protruding ring just above the farms that was completely unlit.
Could it be that villagers have become corrupted/disappeared by them moving from a loaded chunk to an unloaded one or vice-versa? IIRC we've had mobs escape and duplicate in the past, though I'm neither sure we've had them disappear nor whether that bug has been fixed properly.

*the new map is still rendering but the older one at least shows spawn airport correctly.

Pharad

Postby Pharad » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:21 am UTC

Amazing how far this game has come. I honestly haven't played it since like 2011 and never thought it will stick around... look at it now!

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Wed May 29, 2019 3:59 am UTC

Logging back in for the first time in years. But keep getting disconnected after loading terrain ):
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu May 30, 2019 12:32 am UTC

mieulium wrote:Logging back in for the first time in years. But keep getting disconnected after loading terrain ):

I've had that happen a number of times recently. Eventually I've gotten on, but usually only after waiting a while before trying again.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 pm UTC

mieulium wrote:Logging back in for the first time in years. But keep getting disconnected after loading terrain ):

Weird, I got in on first try and teleported to your location without a problem. :?

I'll run a copy of the server on minecraft.flumble.nl in a couple of hours, so please try logging in there. (If successful, it's likely that the other server is gettig too slow for minecraft. If unsuccessful, I'll move you to spawn to see if that helps.)

(also minecraft.flumble.nl might switch between versions as we'll be testing the update to 1.14)

[edit 2019-05-31 15:54]Restarted the 'official' server (mieulium, you might even be able to log now in simply because the server restarted (and oscar isn't online yet))
[edit 2019-05-31 21:30]My server felt like upgrading to 1.14 without asking, so I'm now waiting for the chunk upgrades to complete.
[edit 2019-05-31 22:31]You can try out 1.14.2 at minecraft.flumble.nl:18431 .

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:55 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:[edit 2019-05-31 22:31]You can try out 1.14.2 at minecraft.flumble.nl:18431 .

I logged on to the 1.14.2 test world. The Nether looks like it is completely new. I went though portals by the Purrthanon and oscarville which should lead to build walkways and tunnels near the old Gold Farm. Instead I was in a large open area with lava falling next to the portal. I looked around a bit but it is all new.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:16 pm UTC

Ouch, it seems that Nether region (heh) has been missing/corrupt for quite some time. I'll see if I can find it in a recent backup.

[edit] oops, no, you're at a different location.
[edit] Ah, I missed this part of the initialisation of Spigot:

Code: Select all

[23:14:07] [Server thread/INFO]: ---- Migration of old nether folder required ----
[23:14:07] [Server thread/INFO]: Unfortunately due to the way that Minecraft implemented multiworld support in 1.6, Bukkit requires that you move your nether folder to a new location in order to operate correctly.
[23:14:07] [Server thread/INFO]: We will move this folder for you, but it will mean that you need to move it back should you wish to stop using Bukkit in the future.
[23:14:07] [Server thread/INFO]: Attempting to move world/DIM-1 to world_nether/DIM-1...
[23:14:07] [Server thread/WARN]: Could not move folder world/DIM-1 to world_nether/DIM-1!
[23:14:07] [Server thread/INFO]: ---- Migration of old nether folder failed ----

So it's all there, just not accessible because I'll need to make a mountpoint for world_nether (and world_the_end for that matter).

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:07 pm UTC

From the testing I did in the overworld on the 1.14.2 server I'll need to make some changes for Ganalef in his sky area in Mordor on the 1.13 server. Illager Patrols are spawning up there and there's a village up there. I'll remove the bed in the village, replace blocks the Illagers can spawn on with ones they can't, and tighten up a few fences.

I imagine others will want to check their areas for changes they want to make before the switch to 1.14.2.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:32 am UTC

Logged into the 1.14 server and was stuck in the ground somewhere and suffocated before I thought to f3 to see where I was.

Anyway, seems fine, probably could have been a bit more diligent checking out the Arcology, but I already know there's gonna be a lot of work updating it for the new village mechanics, but it doesn't seem like anything unexpected is broken by 1.14

If I understand the new villager mechanics properly, should be much easier to get desirable trades though. Also, no more need for a large mass of villagers, so might cut down on the lag people have experienced in the vicinity.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:25 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:From the testing I did in the overworld on the 1.14.2 server I'll need to make some changes for Ganalef in his sky area in Mordor on the 1.13 server. Illager Patrols are spawning up there and there's a village up there. I'll remove the bed in the village, replace blocks the Illagers can spawn on with ones they can't, and tighten up a few fences.

I fixed most of what I needed to in Ganalef's sky area. I wanted to go check something on the 1.14 test server but it is not up.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 am UTC

The 1.14(.3 now) server is up again. With nether and end this time.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:58 pm UTC

I’ve been playing it again, seriously, single player. I realize the last thing I remember being added was... horses and armor.

So I’m now staring at andersite, granite, and diorite going “The fuck, is this dwarf fortress even harder now?”

Then some grey pillagers attack and now I have a banner with a bunch of weird buffs and a Bad Omen. Is this Terraria?

At least there’s a recipe book to help track some of the weirder things but holy shit, I do not understand half of what I’m seeing and my god does that make the game fun again.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 pm UTC

I've had the opposite take: All the added elements do nothing for me but get in the way of the process of world building and set creation. I've been playing since late alpha, and some of the adds are pretty cool (villages, shipwrecks, abandoned minecart tunnels), most of them actually diminish my enjoyment of the sandbox element of the game. Problems like how it's so hard to have a safe village anymore (due to illager spawns, and zombie attacks), how hard it has become to build outdoors in otherwise safe locations (due to phantoms). It's lead me to no longer play.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:36 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Then some grey pillagers attack and now I have a banner with a bunch of weird buffs and a Bad Omen. Is this Terraria?

Just you wait until you come across a ship wreck and get drawn to the sea! :wink:

EdgarJPublius wrote:Logged into the 1.14 server and was stuck in the ground somewhere and suffocated before I thought to f3 to see where I was.

Hmm, there are slight differences between vanilla and bukkit/spigot/paper, but I think use-exact-login-location is the only relevant one and it's set to vanilla behaviour by default.
If this also happens when the official server is upgraded to 1.14, I'll manually change your position or make you admin* so you can paste /gamemode spectator before suffocating completely.

*which I believe you and oscar may be anyway because of your stake in the server (and we have proper backups now, just in case your multi-year efforts have all been a ruse to grief a dead server with admin powers!)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:41 am UTC

Pfft, as if I even need admin powers to grief the server.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:24 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:
oscar_spider wrote:From the testing I did in the overworld on the 1.14.2 server I'll need to make some changes for Ganalef in his sky area in Mordor on the 1.13 server. Illager Patrols are spawning up there and there's a village up there. I'll remove the bed in the village, replace blocks the Illagers can spawn on with ones they can't, and tighten up a few fences.

I fixed most of what I needed to in Ganalef's sky area. I wanted to go check something on the 1.14 test server but it is not up.

I checked what I need to on the 1.14 test server and fixed everything I wanted to in Ganalef's sky area on the 1.13 server. Then I read the changes that 1.14.3 implemented regarding changes to Illager spawning rules & light levels and that negated the need for much of what I did. Oh well.

I have nothing else I want to do before the main server goes to 1.14.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:27 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
SecondTalon wrote:Then some grey pillagers attack and now I have a banner with a bunch of weird buffs and a Bad Omen. Is this Terraria?

Just you wait until you come across a ship wreck and get drawn to the sea! :wink:

EdgarJPublius wrote:Logged into the 1.14 server and was stuck in the ground somewhere and suffocated before I thought to f3 to see where I was.

Hmm, there are slight differences between vanilla and bukkit/spigot/paper, but I think use-exact-login-location is the only relevant one and it's set to vanilla behaviour by default.
If this also happens when the official server is upgraded to 1.14, I'll manually change your position or make you admin* so you can paste /gamemode spectator before suffocating completely.

*which I believe you and oscar may be anyway because of your stake in the server (and we have proper backups now, just in case your multi-year efforts have all been a ruse to grief a dead server with admin powers!)

Nope, I''m not an admin.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius, do you want to change things on the server still before we upgrade?

oscar_spider wrote:Nope, I''m not an admin.

"may" as in "allowed to". :wink: But as of a minute ago "may" as in "possibly the case" too.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:23 pm UTC

Nah, it'll probably be easier to do the stuff I want to do to the Arcology with the update in place so I can see if it's actually working.

Go for it.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:28 pm UTC

Alright, update in progress complete. (I'll keep you posted here too, because I got a message from infina almost immediately asking whether I was updating the server (or perhaps it's crashing badly).)

- backup the world
- download papermc
- update the world
- backup the world
- run the server

I'm not sure what (nor when nor why) happened to the advancements. It's been a long time since I've been in the nether, but I got the advancement now while testing whether the nether is still there (and it is).

mieulium, sorry it took so long but now you should definitely be able to log in without losing connection.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:58 pm UTC

A few quick notes from my 1.14 related activities:

I fished for bamboo (long story about that later) and will put some in the Plains City community center when I get a chance, or coordinate with me to get some.

I also found some Sweet Berry Bushes and will do the same.

It seems that when going through nether portals the facing when exiting is different than before. Could it be related to the sever using papermc? I may rework a portal or two to put the backstop walls on the other side to make exiting friendly again.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 pm UTC

It seems that villager trading mechanics were slightly twerked between when I checked them out on the test server and 1.14.3, guess I should have checked that when 1.14.3 was on the test server.

Anyway, the only really relevant change is that villagers need to have a job site block assigned to them in order to trade, so I went ahead and made the necessary changes to the trade halls at the Arcology and the LIRF. There may still be issues with the LIRF trade hall because the trade hall is in the sorter so villagers being sorted can take over job site blocks from villagers in the trade stalls.

I am still considering the best way to decommission the breeders and replace them with new ones.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:10 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:A few quick notes from my 1.14 related activities:

I fished for bamboo (long story about that later)

Here is the longer story behind my quest for bamboo and sweet berry bushes.

* I wanted to get Bamboo, so I looked for an easily accesible Jungle to fish in and settled on one north of Mordor. This seemed better than exploring the map in search of a new Jungle with bamboo growing. I fished for a long time before I realized that a Fishing Rod with Luck of the Sea would never get bamboo. Fortunatly, one of the things I did get was a fishing rod with Mending and Lure III which I started using. It still took a while to get bamboo, but in the meantime...

* My fishing spot was on a shoal in 1-deep water a ways off the coast. A gurgling noise alerted me to a Drowned approaching from the nearby deep. I easily dispatched it and went back to fishing, but started periodically looking around for other mobs. On one occasion I turned to look behind me and my heart skipped a beat - I was literally face to face with several strange entities!! Calm returned once I identified them as a Wandering Trader with 2 llamas in tow and I went back to fishing. As night fell the Trader drank an Invisibility potion, leaving the leads from the llamas dangling in the air toward the potion effect particles throughout the night. After dawn the Trader wandered to shore and into the Jungle a short distance. I pondered whether I could get the llamas through Mordor to the Green. A quick check on the wiki confirmed the llamas could be separated from the Trader, so I went ashore. Attempts to use the fishing pole to pull the trader far enough away from the llamas to beak the leads wern't getting the job done in the close quarters of the jungle, so I killed the Trader instead. Suddenly I was under attack - the llamas were spitting at me! Not wanting to kill, or be killed by, them I ran back toward my fishing spot with the llamas in hot pursuit. They stopped following me at the waters edge. After a short while I started back toward them and they did not attack me anymore. I went to where I killed the Trader, picked up the 2 leads that were dropped, leashed up the llamas, led them out to my fishing spot, and tethered them to a fence post so they wouln't wander away. At this point I realized there would be no need to lead them through Mordor - I could simply get new ones when a Trader appeared on the Green itself. Duh. The llamas are still tethered there, next to a bed and an enderchest. Someday as a personal challenge I will go back for them and lead them safely through Mordor to the Green!

* My search for Sweet Berry Bushes would have to involve new chunks. I used the online map to locate an existing Taiga biome that had unexplored territory adjacent to it that I could reasonably get to. My starting point was the Prismarine Grinder and method of travel was Elytra. It was an adventure to fly safely while checking the online map against my in hand map and scanning the ground below (and in front) to navigate to where I intended to go. I knew I was in new chunks when I spotted a new format Desert village on the edge of Taiga with the terrain merged smoothly. I landed to check out the village and search the Taiga. Strangely, the villagers trade interfaces would not stay open. Night was falling and I didn't want to endanger the villagers with the mobs that would be spawning, so had to break the bed out from under a sleeping child villager to kick it out so I could use it for myself. That's the first time in many years that I've intentionally skipped the night. Now with it day again I went into the Taiga and almost immediately found Sweet Berry Bushes. I gathered up a handful and left many. The flight back to the Prismarine Grinder was another adventure in navigation due to slow loading chunks that contained looming mountains.

* Concerned about the villager trading interfaces not staying open I went to my large villager trading hall. Since in the past I had only traded with a small number of the villagers there I found I now have a large hall mostly full of nitwits. Sigh. I'll be working on revamping it all into a new villager breeding and trading hall complex with an iron grinder.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:22 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote:A few quick notes from my 1.14 related activities:

I fished for bamboo (long story about that later) and will put some in the Plains City community center when I get a chance

I put some bamboo & sweet berries in the plants chest. Bone meal will grow them very quickly to large quantities.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:58 pm UTC

oscar_spider wrote: * Concerned about the villager trading interfaces not staying open I went to my large villager trading hall. Since in the past I had only traded with a small number of the villagers there I found I now have a large hall mostly full of nitwits. Sigh. I'll be working on revamping it all into a new villager breeding and trading hall complex with an iron grinder.

Update: The villagers in my trading hall are not nitwits - they are just jobless. Lack of a workstation prevents the trading interface from staying open.

After some testing on a single player creative world I found I could just give them workstations and that I can even do it without moving the villagers far away first. Many of the videos & descriptions are earlier 1.14 versions which are no longer correct. Even in crowded quarters I can reliably give a workstation to a particular villager.

Oddly though, while working on my trading hall giving villagers workstations, I've seen something that I've not seen mentioned anywhere - it appears that 2 villagers are *SHARING* the same workstation. I had given several villagers workstations and confirmed their ownership by opening their trade interface. Then I moved a jobless villager from a handful of blocks away into a stall next to the villager I had just completed - and the jobless villager took on a profession and its trade interface would stay open. So I then had 4 villagers I could trade with and only 3 workstations. Might be related to one being an apprentice.

Return to “Gaming”