Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Well, a second set of picks wouldn't really hurt, so I think it's okay. Or did you manage to restore from a backup?

In important redstone news, we now have highly stable and convenient hopper clocks. A simple clock can be made with just 2 hoppers and a comparator, absolutely nothing else (this is limited to a 7 tick cycle though). We also have new (but apparently less stable) comparator clocks, which are cheap and easy 1-tick clocks. I've been toying around with them and they make for some pretty amazing contraptions.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

Not from a backup. Closest backup is at least three days old, and my ender chest was fine. I believe this problem is isolated to people who were on during the crash, and it's easier to replace their crap than it is to roll back three days.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

I lost things too >.> like diamond things and things made out of diamond...
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:35 pm UTC

Given your questionably sane pile of diamonds sitting around, I think you're one of the few people who I actually have to ask this question to: would a chest of diamond blocks make up for what you lost?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm UTC

The only "difficult" thing to replace are items with enchantments. Not that it's hard, but that we have to give you fresh one, not one that was slightly worn down.

Oh Gods, The Horrors
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 am UTC

Yeah, pretty much anything can be replaced, and durability probably isn't an issue with all the free repairing we have going on.

Though, ganalef lost a few maps. Do you know how to recover those?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:55 am UTC

Yeah. If he recalls the number, it's easy.

It's /give %player% [map item ID] [number of maps] [Map number]

So.. /give rirez 358 1 37 should give you one copy of map #37

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:57 am UTC

Maps restored, I hope they're working as intended.

HOLY SHIT WHO MADE THAT BLIMP OFF VALHALA?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:51 am UTC

Who do you think?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:43 am UTC

... Okay, that was a dumb question. That's mighty impressive, though.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:33 pm UTC

Spawn flagship's balloon is damaged (either fire, or some of the wool was cannibalized for a prank.) I put a chest of wool on the deck for repairs but didn't attempt the skywork; will require permission from the captain or first mates before I ascend to that portion (and am not particularly experienced at making spheres and circles.)

I found a fully-repaired bow called "Pretty good bow" in what I think was a randomly-placed gift chest. So I took it. If you want it back, lemme know. :)

I'm ...futzing around in FTB now. ...I've decided to treat this like I treated the original MC, and just figure out how to do most of the stuff myself before researching. This is fun.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

Oh, that. Yeah. That was me. I was checking my interior trap and accidentally set it off.

Note - When I trap something, I trap it. Too good.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:59 am UTC

This is literally the best minecraft server I've ever seen. Maybe it's my love of Touhou doing it... but the scale and quality of design is just amazing as all hell.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

MIASACraft will soon return. I have a modlist ready, all 1.6.2, and almost ready for 1.6.4 (Big one left is Mystcraft). I am working on getting the list in the proper format so I can use it with MCUpdater. I should have the server up for testing by Monday, barring unforeseen circumstances, for a trusted few, and should be public before 1.7 hits. I also have a logo that I am working on, the preliminary logo has some issues, but I have found a way around them and once I am settled into the new OS on my main system, I will be all set.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

Tantalizing news! Is there a tentative modlist you can post?

I've been enjoying "easy mode" FTB Unleashed (I re-enabled reliquary and enchanting-plus). It's much friendlier to players that don't want to build a fully automatic megafactory than previous versions.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:23 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:It's much friendlier to players that don't want to build a fully automatic megafactory than previous versions.

Inconceivable!

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:38 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Tantalizing news! Is there a tentative modlist you can post?

I've been enjoying "easy mode" FTB Unleashed (I re-enabled reliquary and enchanting-plus). It's much friendlier to players that don't want to build a fully automatic megafactory than previous versions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing

There are things I am going to have to self host, because mediafire/creeperrepo have issues keeping the same file accessible, and I had to build EE3 for 1.6, but it is tested. As things come out for 1.6, I will update. I am hoping that Thaumcraft 4 and Ars Magica 2 come out soon. Both have retrogen, so they won't be too hard to deal with updating. Once I figure out the GUIs for ChocolateCraft, we will also start as a testing server for it.

I also have a logo for the server in the works, I just need to fix my anti-aliasing issues. Website planning will start in a week or so. I have plans for blog like posts and a forum for the server itself. To keep myself and sophiamaster on task, we are using OpenERP to coordinate the project.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:
headprogrammingczar wrote:It's much friendlier to players that don't want to build a fully automatic megafactory than previous versions.

Inconceivable!

Fucking Steve. He's such a prick.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 am UTC

Not sure if any of you have played with the new Thaumcraft (or maybe it was from Thaumic Tinkerer) but just a heads up? Those aura nodes surrounded by particles shooting inwards, and what looks like the after-effects of an explosion around them? Do not go near them unprepared. They are "Hungry Nodes" and if you let yourself be pulled into their range, they will smash you to death, and consume your items. Not the most fun :)
On the plus side, they have tons of aspects, and give a lot of research points if you manage to safely scan them.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:53 am UTC

Re: MIASACraft

I have located the source of the bug that was occurring that prevented Minecraft from loading. I am now in the process of building the pack back up to the full modlist. If you use the links provided on the IRC channel, you will need to update a couple configs, specifically the extrabees configs, to use ids in the 3000s rather than the 4000s. My modpack also has Optifine as an optional mod. I have yet to test how well it works, as I have other focuses right now.

Modpack is in its complete state. Due to restrictions on private packs by some mod devs, I must ask that you either pm me, or visit the irc channel for the pack. I do not have the server running, as I am in the middle of getting it moved to a different physical machine.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:05 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:Re: MIASACraft

I have located the source of the bug that was occurring that prevented Minecraft from loading. I am now in the process of building the pack back up to the full modlist. If you use the links provided on the IRC channel, you will need to update a couple configs, specifically the extrabees configs, to use ids in the 3000s rather than the 4000s. My modpack also has Optifine as an optional mod. I have yet to test how well it works, as I have other focuses right now.

Modpack is in its complete state. Due to restrictions on private packs by some mod devs, I must ask that you either pm me, or visit the irc channel for the pack. I do not have the server running, as I am in the middle of getting it moved to a different physical machine.

Server is now running, however it is not complete, and may have a couple map restarts in the next couple weeks. I may start a spawn center design contest, or I may just make it myself. It is unknown at this time.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Taily_Po

Postby Taily_Po » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Not from a backup. Closest backup is at least three days old, and my ender chest was fine. I believe this problem is isolated to people who were on during the crash, and it's easier to replace their crap than it is to roll back three days.

I randomly started at the origin and lost my enderchest stuff too...and then almost immediately left the country, so I didn't follow up on it. But I'm relatively certain I wasn't on during the crash. I figured it was a server-wide issue so I didn't even come on here to report it. Just an fyi.

Also fyi, I can't stay in the server for more than half a minute at the moment. Just curious how widespread this issue is. I'd previously returned my guy all the way to Pandora hoping to find my person's stuff, but no luck. With the server kicking me off all the time I died (fell due to unexpected lag) and appeared back at origin AGAIN.
*grumble*

[EDIT]
Okay, turns out the 'being-kicked' problem is only near my home (Pandora?). So it's probably just my computer/connection not being able to handle the greatness that is our city?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm UTC

(Sorry for being back after an extended trip.)

The server has been quite unstable of late, missing items from enderchests are relatively common (and are a known minecraft bug it appears). It'd be best to keep things out of them for now.

Feylias

Monkey's spawnside mob farm

Postby Feylias » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:45 pm UTC

Baby zombies (at least in SMP) can get through 1m gaps, even if those gaps are just below the surface of water flow.

This changes the dynamic for mob farms immensely. (Maybe it could add a use for snowmen?)

I'm AFKing at Monkey's mob farm for string and gunpowder, but I may eventually have to come back and--with his permission--add a hopper and a chest to the design so I'm not standing all vulnerable-like at the delivery point. In the meantime I've added some small temporary barricades to hamper their access to my steve, pending me thinking of something more clever.

I'm toying with it, but I thought I'd leave this warning for those of you with hardcore AFK sessions.

(Also, speaking of a hardcore world I nearly lost yesterday, beware of spider spawner farms; those spider jockeys seem to be spawning more frequently from spawners, now.)

...whoah! I just got drops from a witch!

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Monkey's spawnside mob farm

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am UTC

Feylias wrote:Baby zombies (at least in SMP) can get through 1m gaps, even if those gaps are just below the surface of water flow.

This changes the dynamic for mob farms immensely. (Maybe it could add a use for snowmen?)

I'm AFKing at Monkey's mob farm for string and gunpowder, but I may eventually have to come back and--with his permission--add a hopper and a chest to the design so I'm not standing all vulnerable-like at the delivery point. In the meantime I've added some small temporary barricades to hamper their access to my steve, pending me thinking of something more clever.

I'm toying with it, but I thought I'd leave this warning for those of you with hardcore AFK sessions.

(Also, speaking of a hardcore world I nearly lost yesterday, beware of spider spawner farms; those spider jockeys seem to be spawning more frequently from spawners, now.)

...whoah! I just got drops from a witch!

Is this 1.6, or 1.7?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Feylias

Re: Monkey's spawnside mob farm

Postby Feylias » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Is this 1.6, or 1.7?
1.7. I'm a bit of a slowpoke; not much time to do more than AFK.

I've concluded, after dozens of deaths to baby zombies while AFK, that Monkey's spawnside spawner can't be made safe with minor changes and so, rather than twerk things without his participation, just threw a hopper down at the delivery point.
Also, I've temporarily disabled the spider-excluder because, well, I also want string. The string chests are nearly empty. I'll put it all back when I'm done.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

Just updated my zombie grinder on another server. Thanks for the heads up. I made them land on a fencepost.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:48 am UTC

So, I decided that I'm going to start playing this again, maybe just SP for a little bit while I get used to all the new stuff (I haven't played since ~1.4.x...) - but my computer really doesn't like playing nicely. I can scarcely get above 10fps, which is quite frustrating. Do you guys have any recommendations or tips for improving just general performance in Minecraft?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:32 am UTC

I haven't played MC in ages, but I seem to recall there being a bunch of settings specifically for that. Decrease view distance, decrease particles, simpler lighting... things along those lines.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

The really important option is reducing view distance. After that, try advanced opengl on and off (which enables culling of hidden surfaces and can change the bottleneck from GPU to CPU).

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties
The "Far" viewing distance is 16 chunks, sending 1089 total chunks (the amount of chunks that the server will load can be seen in the debug screen). "Normal" view distance is 8, for 289 chunks.

You can also check http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Hardware_performance and see if specs comparable to your system are listed.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

Another thing, there is "optifine" which is an addon that someone wrote, which often doubles frame rate on machines that are struggling.

Feylias

Baby zombies.

Postby Feylias » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:07 pm UTC

Heads up: If you wander into the Nether near spawn, be prepared for baby zombie horde assault. (I got rid of 'em) I'm AFKing at Monkey's spawnside mob farm, and they tend to spawn, swim under the lava blade, run around trying to kill me, then run into the portal. There are probably a few there. I'll make a gravel wall to lock off the portal from them henceforth, but the damage has been done.

...I like the idea of introducing fast zombies that don't burn to death in sunlight, spawn wearing armor and weapons, and can see you at a distance. I just wish they weren't also "babies" and capable of fitting through small gaps. The adult version should be the strongest version.

If I pretend they're imps or something, maybe the flaw in the theme won't bother me. ...or maybe they'll eventually have the damage they deal out be reduced.

...because I can outrun a mess of eight-year-olds, and could beat up more of them than most comedians.
Last edited by Feylias on Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:33 pm UTC

Uh, what happened to my bed?
Spoiler:
2013-11-05_15.30.04.png
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Crashed again :(

Lost everything on my person and in my ender chest.

Lost a map, I think it was number 221 but I'm not sure.
Also, a stack of Iron blocks and some enchanted diamond picks.

The picks are the same as last time, I was keeping the extra set I got in my ender chest, still have a set so it's not a big deal if they don't get replaced.

Everything else I can replace myself without too much trouble.

Still, pretty annoying, do we have any idea what's causing these crashes?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

Bah, crashed again last night. Didn't really lose much because I was still recovering from the last crash. Probably gonna take a break from the server for a while.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Feylias

Mordor Project: Blagtiem.

Postby Feylias » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:27 am UTC

<blag>
Spoiler:
So I'm going to finish Mordor, and I've made more headway even through distractions/other projects (can we get a new map in the next few months?

...but Mordor was started in the days before the Nether was a thing, and it's, well, not particularly viable as a 'gauntlet challenge' now; it's more of a playground.

Things that make it too easy to be a speedrun gauntlet thingie:

1) Brightness. Once you fully crank your brightness the gloom is irrelevant and night vision is nigh-redundant. Also, light glitches.
2) Sprinting. You can outrun darn near anything (though baby zombies may give you a challenge.)
3) Enchanted armor. When I'm playing to stay alive I can't see any reason not to have a full set of protection-enchanted diamond armor.
4) Potions and such. I don't use 'em much, but night vision and healing potions are very nice.
5) Oceans are safe; mobs don't swim well. This was always the case, and I've made a point of adding artificial cobble islands and other barriers/spawning pads here and there.

I can and have made the run many times, often with no armor and with my hunger down so I couldn't sprint. It's challenging with the brightness down, but, well, expecting people to handicap themselves by turning down brightness is like asking them to do it blindfolded; unreasonable.

So yeah, it's a playground now. I wander in when I want to have some combat against the hordes, and although the "Settime" and "addtime" commands aren't working (for me, anyway) now, when they are working it's sometimes hard to get any monster combat in, so it's useful and fun to have a playground where you can wander in artificial night and maybe dodge the occasional trap as well. (Ideas to make it more hazardous are welcome.)

Since it's a playground, I'd like to add it to the airport system so that people can play conveniently (rather than treating it as an achievement that is difficult to access and attempt.)
(It's already possible to get to IWBTS and, by extension, the playground via the spawnside Nether, but that's such a long trip from Pandora I don't expect many to make it without getting lost.)

So for airporty-ness I have three ideas that won't violate the Mordor/Fiddler's Green theme, and will keep with the idea of the airport-teleportation being based off of flying transports (rather than magic shrines or something):

1) Take the small (and slightly damaged) sail ship off the north coast of the 'Green, dub it the "Flying Dutchman", and integrate it into the transportation system (it is "flying", after all.) Alternately, I could try to build a more faithful Dutch Man-o-War vessel off the west coast of the Green, but my graphical aesthetic sense is largely limited to building gardens and houses, and is limited within those contexts as well; I tried to fix ST's blimp and decided to just leave the wool behind so someone else could get it right.

2) Build an 'alien invasion' scene with some slab-based flying saucers off the outer southwest edge of Mordor. It'd be fairly simple, artistically, and might look neat. It wouldn't be integrated with Mordor/Fiddler's Green, but it'd be conveniently near.

3) Build a flying carpet using multicolored wool floating somewhere off the outer edge of Mordor...integrating it into a localized Persian fantasy theme, perhaps. Hmm. Or something. I could do the carpet, but the buildings would be rough.

I've been thinking about this for a long time.

Do those of you who were bored/interested/insane enough to read this have any thoughts, preferences, or ideas?

EDIT: OscarSpider came to visit and we teamed up and explored some Mordor in order to kill lots of grass "strays" and to work on fixing light glitches on water (he discovered that if you use an empty bucket on light glitched water it helps reset the light level for that block and the orthogonally adjacent blocks...though it's a longish process.)
ANYWAY, while it's utterly possible to make it through the 'gauntlet' with brightness off, armorless, and without sprinting, actually doing things in Mordor can get pretty dicey even at full preparation and with a teammate; zombie hordes are a real threat (on land), baby zombies are scary, and when you can't see them well a few skeletal archers are very difficult to deal with. I wore out a set of Prot IV armor and an Unbreaking 3 bow, and I've been 'air juggled' a few times by archer+zombie crowds. ...a potion of night vision would help immensely, and I may have to brew some to see how they change the experience.

...so yeah, Mordor's not as marshmallow as I thought, and I definitely recommend it as a fun place to play without being interrupted by daytime every five minutes, and I may take a break and build some new things in the darkness.
Heck, as long as you don't add any light sources, plants/grass, or animals to the area, feel free to do the same. I'm more tempted than ever to build a "night-only" vanilla server
</blag>

EDIT: Something strange has happened at the gold farm. I used to get about a stack of gold bars per five hours, I think. Now I get about two stacks of gold pellets, even if I AFK for eight hours while I sleep.

Pigmen don't seem to be spawning up there, or perhaps they're spawning but the pistons aren't pushing them off (I do see the distant pistons and they seem to be pulsing pretty regularly.)

I wonder if there was a microupdate? I'll have to look.

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 am UTC

I don't know about you guys. But regardless of the new update, I feel like Minecraft is a bit boring for me.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:51 am UTC

A ridiculously non compacted 4x4 piston door: complete.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:18 am UTC

SwiftSilent wrote:I don't know about you guys. But regardless of the new update, I feel like Minecraft is a bit boring for me.

This is pretty much why I never play vanilla minecraft anymore. While it is a pain not be be able to play on the old server, I find that I just get a lot more fun out of playing modded minecraft. There is enough variety there that I have yet to get bored of it.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SwiftSilent

Postby SwiftSilent » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:02 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
SwiftSilent wrote:I don't know about you guys. But regardless of the new update, I feel like Minecraft is a bit boring for me.

This is pretty much why I never play vanilla minecraft anymore. While it is a pain not be be able to play on the old server, I find that I just get a lot more fun out of playing modded minecraft. There is enough variety there that I have yet to get bored of it.

What's even worse is that you have to pay 30 bucks for this game. I could get Counter-Strike Global Offensive for 3 bucks on Steam.

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
---Albert Einstein---

Return to “Gaming”