Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:45 am UTC

I'll probably add a put-me-in-survival button in Pandora soon. Probably come 1.6 so command blocks don't break.

Also ponies. Now, due to how the server is structured, I'm considering to make instant-portals to ungenerated land that's closest to spawn, or maybe add beacons to mark the boundary. People will need to find stuff from new dungeon chests and things for their horses.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am UTC

I whole-heartely support anything that brings ponies to Xkcraftia. I hereby open the Association for the Love and Integration of Equestrian Nature and Silliness. Or something.

Also, are there official requirements to link an airport to the airport network of the old world?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Here at Rirezarium Sky Docking Services, we demand the most valuable experience for our customers. As a result of our stringent policy, we honorably don't give a shit about your airport's technical powers - explosions will always get people somewhere. We do, however, request lavish guest facilities, and at least somewhere to land safely without dying. And because testificate pilots don't have the best safety records on hand, we request that it looks like an airport, at least with a runway and control tower.

Basically it just has to look like a runway for me. The better the design, of course, the better. I'd prefer people use half-legitimate stuff, like at least apply runway lights or use dashes. Or something.

Failure to properly build a runway may result in people dropping out of the sky. This hopefully won't kill them. Better service may even allow us to provide free in-flight meals!

Other air service providers may have different requirements.

--

Actually, you know what, I'm going to start revamping old, unqualified airports to fit these new regulations. (No, they won't involve people dying. There may be minor drawbacks, but not death.)

--

So here's what I'm gonna do.

For airports I authorize, I want 1 separate room per destination. Or checkin desk. Something of that level.

Most flights will be free, cost-wise.

The quality of both your airport and your destination will determine the flight side-effects. Economy class passengers may experience slight nausea, hunger, or slowness momentarily after the flight, the duration of which is based on the distance.
No, this won't bring anyone to a halt. And you can always bring milk (I recommend having a chest of it) to completely negate the side-effects.

If you supply an additional business class waiting room for a destination, then the side-effects will lessen. This may or may not be free, depending on how close the destination is. This also serves in-flight snacks.

If you supply a lavish executive class waiting room, we will serve special food and provide comfortable, relaxing in-flight experiences that will brighten up your day. This, however, will never be free, and will probably cost something like 1 iron ingot to use. I assure you that the benefits are immense, however. We at RSDS are committed to please you through booze.

Additionally, I may begin opening restaurants that sell these foods.

(As per my usual behavior as an op, if another player can convince me to install these things at their own locations, then I'll do it for them. E.g. if you have a mining outpost and want mining steroids, the machine will probably have a cost or something. Just post about it. I won't make anything overpowered, though - that's for roos to kill people with in IWBTS.)

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

The FAA requires all flight nodes to conform to the following specifications:

Paved (wool stone or obsidian) runway surfaces
Runway length in excess of 64 meters
Appropriate directional markers (heading / 10)
Night-landing lights
Control Tower

Small projects near an existing airport may waive these requirements in favor of a small helipad.

Approved applications will be connected to the nearest FAA-certified transportation hub (Spawn, Rifton, or the USS Nimitz), barring special circumstances.

PS: Is the server down for anyone else at the moment?

PPS: You make IWBTS sound like a death trap. As I've said before, it's really more of a... death option.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:36 am UTC

The host has been very spotty for me, but I've been able to get on fairly consistently.

Roos, have you looked into the /effect [player] [effect ID] [duration] [power] command? Full list here. I'm already planning to build some stuff with it...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:10 am UTC

Host is being DDos'd. Give it a couple of hours to clear up.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:51 am UTC

It doesn't seem to be the first time it's doing that, either.

In other news, please refrain from pulling levers in my office space, just north of the rocket launch pad. Last time someone pulled it, they were killed by magic.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 am UTC

"Don't pull levers near rocket launch pads" is generally sound advice.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:09 am UTC

... Put one there that gives jump boost 200.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:48 am UTC

Any progress on getting the server back up?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:18 am UTC

It looks like a few of the host's servers are back up, but most of them (including ours) are still timing out on the back end.

So hopefully soon, but no promises.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:09 pm UTC

This is all just part of the Agenda to get us to play Scrolls!1

Alright, once the server is up and running again, I can refit the runway and extend build prison cells a waiting lounge for passengers. The Black Forest Airport will open soon! (Soon as in 'whenever')

1 Which totally worked on me. Scrolls is open beta now. Good game, albeit too few cards right now.

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:02 pm UTC

Wasn't ST doing like a zeplin network that was separate from the airplane/helocopter network?
They call me Mr. Piman

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:41 pm UTC

Melic wrote:Wasn't ST doing like a zeplin network that was separate from the airplane/helocopter network?

Yep. If you want in on that, you can either ask me, or build your own Hot Air Balloon, Blimp, Zeppelin, or other Wood, Canvas and Hot Air means of Conveyance and I'll add it in.

If you ask me, you'll get a slap-up special, the small Hot Air Balloon as can be seen in Pandora City, at the Airport.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:26 am UTC

Server's back up, but the ip changed.

216.135.68.230:25569

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Woooooo. Time to build... something.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:31 pm UTC

That's odd, I still can't connect. I know that sometimes the name address doesn't work with servers while the IP address does, but this is not the case here. Hm, I guess I have to put on my detective hat.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm UTC

Me neither. I can't even access the control panel, actually.

Kinda weird to see a game server host being DDOS'd.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

We're one of... five servers that's come back online on my end. And based on the logs for the past day, only Americans can connect.

Just speculating here, but does anyone know of any other services that have been having some trouble the last few days? It's possible the host wasn't the only one that got hit.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:50 am UTC

It would make sense if they clamp down the IP blocking in an attempt to secure themselves against more DDOSes for now.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:35 am UTC

Can another op add techiesgoboom to the whitelist? I still can't access the control panel.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:15 am UTC

Sooo, any update on the server situation? Did they forget to unblock the rest of the world? Or is the attack still ongoing?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:56 pm UTC

Server should be up and functioning normally at 216.135.68.230:25569

techiesgoboom has been whitelisted.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

It's not accessible for me, so... Not sure. I'll try again with one of my usual proxies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:08 pm UTC

Goddamn it, Steax! Just hurry up and pick up your entire country and move it to Wyoming already! No one will notice! Wyomingians will probably appreciate it! Someone new to talk to, they'll love it!

(Seriously, I'll check on the blocking status of the IP ranges you've sent me)

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:30 pm UTC

I also need to move my country. I suppose steax has more pieces of more manageable sizes, so he'll get there first.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:13 am UTC

But they'll notice all the new volcanoes! Unless Wyoming also wants those.

Jestingrabbit, on the other hand, has kangaroos.

(I'll mention once it's accessible.)

I plan on building minigames from now, because they're fun and should help with things to do that aren't building giant cities and deathtraps. Youtube is an endless source of entertainment. If others want to build their own games and need help with command blocks, I'm sure an op will help.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:33 am UTC

Why not New Jersey? We are quite awesome, we are a beautiful state, the sun is always shining, we do not have too much toxic waste too.

On a side note, anyone want a game day coming in a few days?
these are words
type, type, type

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:24 am UTC

area of new jersey = 23 thousand km^2, area of australia = 7.7 million km^2.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:24 am UTC

Population density of NJ - 1189 people per square mile.
Population density of Australia - 7.3 people per square mile.
We could always fit more in, we could let a few people overflow into NY or NJ. Hopefully you all get to help dilute the long islanders that come in and give NJ a bad name.

This is obviously a genius idea for the sake of the server.
these are words
type, type, type

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:18 pm UTC

As of the timestamp of this post, give it an additional 10 minutes, then try it out. Having the guy revisit the firewall now.

Also, re: Volcanos in Wyoming - They won't really notice - and might actually welcome the pressure release.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 am UTC

Thanks ST, it works for me now! If anyone can't get connected, please mention it so we can work on a fix.

And I'm not sure if they want a second supervolcano in their backyard.

Hey, I wonder how hard it'd be to build a supervolcano in minecraft...

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:54 am UTC

Build a volcano at red mountain?
these are words
type, type, type

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:23 am UTC

If only I could add TNT spawners.

--

I need help building my next project: a randomized combat course. Players enter, fight mobs across a semi-random maze, and get prizes and levels as a reward (based on how long it took to complete the course). I will need help with designing the actual course, the redstone, the mechanics, and of course, test subjects.

I plan to semi-randomize it by using an overal grid that does a dumb pathfinding process from the entrance to the exit. It needs to be foolproof and never end in dead ends, either. This is probably going to be a significant challenge.

The combat mechanics will be supported by auto-refilling mob egg dispensers (yay hopper carts!) and command blocks. Players can be assisted by custom enchants and effects as well. Other death traps are, of course, possible, but should be optional.

The aesthetics need to be worked out. Combatants will be placed in adventure mode for obvious purposes.

I plan to add a "time attack" game mode, where players get Resistance 5 (so they can't die), but with a stricter time limit. Normal game modes should allow for long game times, and rewards are given based on how much time is left. Players can pick any reward they're eligible to. This will be done via redstone and command blocks.

It should support multiplayer. In fact, it should encourage multiplayer.

The rewards should be difficult-to-obtain stuff, maybe even as a proxy for obtaining things that are too hard to find natively (especially new update additions). And levels.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:56 am UTC

I still can't connect. :cry:

@Steax

Randomly created in the meaning of "design once, build once" or "design once, let it build automagically every time used, powered by the souls of countless developers, who where sacrificed in the design process"?
The former is trivial and the latter incredibly hard. What you could do, is having a base layout and at certain points piston-controlled walls that can switch between various designs, chosen by random chance. That ties in with my idea of having a maze, that changes it's layout by triggers and part of the challenge is to find out how to navigate the maze without blocking off the exit. I'll build that after I finished the airport, the pony farm, the trade district, oh who am I kidding, I'll never have the time.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:07 am UTC

What you have in mind is exactly what I was planning. I'm still finding difficulty in coming up with a sufficiently reliable algorithm to select which contact points should be opened or close.

In retrospect, the style is much like that... Legends of the Hidden Temple? Whatever thing from the old days. It's a set format with set rooms, but the actual correct passageway is randomized every time, so players can't just run for the door.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:43 am UTC

I'm not sure if jestingrabbit's post earlier was meant to infer that he couldn't connect, but I can't connect either.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

raudorn

Postby raudorn » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:15 am UTC

Divide the whole grid into sections that have at least one other section as neighbour. Between two sections there are some connection points, while the sections themselves can be as random as wished, as long as the connection points are not cut off from each other. Within each section the player should be able to reach every space (which any decent maze algorithm should do anyway).

Example:

Code: Select all

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
O           X             X                   X
XXXXX 1 XXXXXX             2                   X
X           3             X                   O
X           X             X                   X
X           4             5                   X
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

X - Wall
O - Entry, Exit
1-5 - Connection points

Now we can encode the status of the connection points:
01010 would be "1 is open, 2 is closed, 3 is open, 4 is closed and 5 is open"
This code is valid, because it allows the player to reach the exit.

To determine which codes are valid, we can simply make a (multi-)graph of the sections and look for all paths between the start and finish node. Since these codes can be turned into redstone signales, some clever wiring (that I don't know how to do) can read the codes and turn on/off the pistons. You can store all possible codes in a memory-thingymajic and read one them at random each time the maze is reset. You can construct a RNG from the random selection of Dispenser/Dropper items.

Now that I've written that out, that all sounds incredibly complicated. Forget what I said.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:06 pm UTC

At first, I was planning to have a grid of square cells, with connections between each side*. A signal would pass into the cell, it would randomly pick an exit, unlock that exit, and proceed into the next cell. If the exit is already open, it feeds back into the randomizer and selects another available exit.

*) Of course, they don't actually have to be square on the inside; just a logical grid.

That works just fine... Until I use a bigger grid, and I realize it dead-ends sometimes when it loops into itself.

... Hey, now that I type that, I could have it open a direct exit (i.e. to the finish line) from each cell if the redstone feeds back on itself enough times (to signify a dead end). That kind of solves the whole issue.

Now I need a reasonably compact and reliable random generator. A cactus wouldn't really work well, since it'd completely screw people with the delays. I think a clock would work best, if there were a reliable way to prevent it from jamming in chunk-unloads. Did cart clocks work well?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 pm UTC

raudorn wrote:I still can't connect. :cry:

based on JR and Carl's posts, it looks like Oz is blocked.

Where are you, raudorn?

Re: cart clocks - would making sure no part of it crosses into another chunk prevent jamming? Obviously output would need to leave the chunk, but if the clock is contained...

Return to “Gaming”