Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

halgdp

Re: Minecraft

Postby halgdp » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:59 pm UTC

Abandoned Thread... (am I the only one feeling that?)

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:35 pm UTC

Eh, it gets like that every now and then. Honestly, the whole XKCD forums feel like they aren't being as frequented as usual (my hypothesis involves the lack of a link from the main xkcd page...).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

wam

Postby wam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:40 pm UTC

Can I get whitelisted on the FTB server, trying to get back into minecraft so trying this!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

It's quite common for the minecraft community to have time-to-time journeys to other servers and mods and models, etc. We usually end up returning to Talon's server anyway because, well, vanilla is great. You can join FTB too to play around, though I don't think it's been fixed...
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:02 pm UTC

Doing solo. Anyone have any tips for my mob spawner? I tried just using a huge tower with 20 water flushers (dispenser and bucket of water) hooked up to a timer circuit, but it doesn't seem to work too well, so I'm going back to the more frustrating but proven method of 8x8 dark chambers with flushers with fall trap at the bottom. It works, rather slowly, but I figure I can keep building up and up and up as long as I like. So much time to build a single layer, not to mention all the supplies (32 dispensers is 96 string, plus 96 iron for the buckets). Is there a better way to do this?

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

you could just give the mobs a channel to fall in to (2-3 wide) filled with water directed toward the death channel between each spawning platform, no dispensers or redstone required. that way, you just need a building material to make another layer and you're set.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:26 pm UTC

I don't think the mobs jump to their death now; do the jump to moving water? Also the dont move if you are too far away.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:14 pm UTC

Finally managed to make my way back to Narnia. Holy shit do I not know where anything is at anymore.

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:52 am UTC

I just recently built a mob spawner in vanilla Minecraft, with the tried and true method of four 8x8 chambers with four 2x8 flowing water channels in a cross pattern. I made it double-layer, and got mobs to fall out easily enough while I simply stood about 17 blocks beneath the spawner building. So yes, they will spawn in darkness and aimlessly wander into the water channels and get flushed out the hole to fall to their deaths. Certain drops, including experience orbs, do not appear unless they are damaged by the player though, so you'll have to place the bottom of the pit low enough to damage the mobs but not actually kill them if you want experience. There are definitely better mob spawner designs, but this one is easy to make (it only requires cobblestone and water if you're going for the bare minimum design). Bucket dispensers would make for a more reliable flushing system, but as noted, that gets expensive.
Also, if you want a lot of string, you can get plenty in an abandoned mineshaft near the cave spider spawners. There is always tons of cobwebs, and you just need to dump water on them to turn them into string.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:22 am UTC

[FTB/MIASACraft]
Chunks seem to be saving again.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:15 pm UTC

[Vanilla]

Wait, the bucket dispenser thing can also retake liquids?
I'll be returning shortly to be more active on the server upon the next update, and returning home.
Also, those who asked to be whitelisted, please check your PMs.

[FTB]

Okay, if you're sure, we can finally begin with the base move. So did we actually lose anything in all the error-ness?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

Steax wrote:[FTB]

Okay, if you're sure, we can finally begin with the base move. So did we actually lose anything in all the error-ness?

I've checked it, it seems to be working again. I rearranged the barrels for outgoing with a retriever on the end. I've also set up a world anchor and a linking book. I'd like to preserve that one tree on the peninsula, though the rest can be cut.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:54 pm UTC

Steax wrote:It's quite common for the minecraft community to have time-to-time journeys to other servers and mods and models, etc. We usually end up returning to Talon's server anyway because, well, vanilla is great. You can join FTB too to play around, though I don't think it's been fixed...

Cool. Yeah I do have my massive castle to finish at some point...
Come join us playing mafia signup here

Feylias

Rant.

Postby Feylias » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

A little frustrated here. Going to rant.
Spoiler:
Finally got around to wrapping my map of Mordor with paper so it'd be bigger.
Alas, this means I have to start mapping all over. x_x Still, it'll be nice to have a completed map, and if I take a screenshot of it it'll document progress too (unnecessary, but fun.)

So I hike all around the sky, burning the odd forest and murdering any animals that might wander in (may as well; areas *near* Mordor should be low on food and trees also.)
I stop burning forests when I start having to break the same block four times in a row and just get to filling in my map.

I've killed enough sheep that I have a stack of wool, killed enough chickens I've a half-stack of cooked hen, I've got 1.5 stacks steak and a stack of cooked bacon. I'm wearing leather armor. I even have a half-stack of wheat.
Hell, I've got six stacks of logs, some cocoa beans, and some jungle saplings. All this, and I started with nothing but a boat and a map. I'm doing okay. Hell, I even got enough iron to make several flint and steels and a bucket. Good times. I have to throw things away to make room.

So I traversed the map edge once, filled in some, and get on top of the sky to fill in some blue.

Filling map on top of the sky isn't hard; I just boat. Sometimes the lag gets bad enough my boat automatically disappears and I'm walking. I wait a bit and then get back in. If that doesn't work I log out and log back in (can't have boats scattered around.)

And, one morning somewhere east of the green I log out and log back in and the fucking game drops me through the sky.

Glitchdeath. Fuck.

Map is somewhere in Mordor to the east of the green. When I get back from spawn, we'll see if I can find it.

Later.

I'm getting breakfast. Fuck.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:34 am UTC

Gah. Did that happen recently, gana? I've still been restarting the server every one or two days so glitchdeaths due to server lag should be rarer. :/

[FTB]

I'll be on IRC.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:07 am UTC

Steax wrote:Gah. Did that happen recently, gana? I've still been restarting the server every one or two days so glitchdeaths due to server lag should be rarer. :/
Earlier today. I'm sure it'll work out. I hope. I just need to boat to roughly the right area, break a hole, swim down, and find my drops before they despawn.

..and before I try this again I'll make copies of the map as backups. >_< And I won't log out while atop the sky unless I've got an empty inventory and no XP.

...anyway, unrelated: A neat video about how to legit-capture and enslave/murder a wither

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:24 am UTC

That kid sure is cool as hell! =D

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 am UTC

I need some opinions. After using a crapload of TNT and some diamond picks, I have an island crater thing (more or less, I'm still digging out some parts and making it look more natural). What should go at the bottom?

1: Lava, so it's a volcano-ish island
2: Lava, but with nether stuff also
3: Water, like part of the ocean spilled in
4: Watery jungle, with vines around the edges of the bowl
5: Desert-ish theme, with a farm/oasis
6: Other???
Attachments
2013-01-24_19.03.17.png

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:16 am UTC

I think it would look pretty cool if you could make it look otherworldly: perhaps some mix of end stone, obsidian, mycellium and (hidden) nether portals for particle effects, and maybe some red mushrooms mixed in with some netherwart near the center?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:01 am UTC

Are any of you guys running Minecraft on Ubuntu 12.04? If so, can you help me sort out what's going on? Minecraft broke after I updated from 11.10 a while ago, and I'm trying to get it running again. I backed up my saved worlds, wiped the .minecraft directory, downloaded the client anew, ran the updater, and now whenever I launch I can login, I see the preloader, then it blackscreens. What do?

EDIT: Fixed the issue. Once I get a mouse (maybe 2 weeks?) I'll be asking for a whitelist on the vanilla server, probably.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

@ Magnanimous
I say 4 would look pretty good, but that may be because I cant do trees so im always impressed when someone does them well. plus there are a few differnt types of wood to help add more colors.
They call me Mr. Piman

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:32 pm UTC

Mag: I'd say 4 or 5. It's looking kinda like my version I posted much earlier!
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

I agree with Kain.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:59 pm UTC

I agree, I think #4 would look the best.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:50 am UTC

Carlington wrote:EDIT: Fixed the issue. Once I get a mouse (maybe 2 weeks?) I'll be asking for a whitelist on the vanilla server, probably.

Let me know when you need that whitelist!

Magnanimous wrote:4: Watery jungle, with vines around the edges of the bowl

It'd also be cool to have fallen logs that form bridges across the lower parts... Or even have them as the only way to cross across the water pools at the bottom!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:36 pm UTC

Steax, will do! Thanks!

[FTB] I was talking to...somebody whose name I have forgotten :oops: on IRC, and they told me about FTB. I tried installing it, but I'm having the same problem running it as I was running vanilla before. I've fixed the issue with vanilla, but I've no clue how to fix it with FTB. Basically, I can log in, but as soon as I get past the preloader it blackscreens before I see the Mojang logo or anything. Vanilla was the same, but I changed which version of LWJGL it was using and now it's fine. As a reasonably important aside, from a diagnostic point of view, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:45 pm UTC

Carlington wrote:Steax, will do! Thanks!

[FTB] I was talking to...somebody whose name I have forgotten :oops: on IRC, and they told me about FTB. I tried installing it, but I'm having the same problem running it as I was running vanilla before. I've fixed the issue with vanilla, but I've no clue how to fix it with FTB. Basically, I can log in, but as soon as I get past the preloader it blackscreens before I see the Mojang logo or anything. Vanilla was the same, but I changed which version of LWJGL it was using and now it's fine. As a reasonably important aside, from a diagnostic point of view, I'm running Ubuntu 12.04

You were talking to taygetea aka Josephine. It is a linux issue, not just Ubuntu. Copy your working LWJGL files over to the instance folder for FTB.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:32 pm UTC

To clarify, the FTB launcher downloads a fresh minecraft install and then does the modding for you, and stores it in a temporary folder. It's easy to find by searching for the minecraft.jar file, but other than that I'm not sure where the linux version stores it.

Feylias

A small embarassment

Postby Feylias » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm UTC

It is with chagrin I point this out, but:
Spoiler:
You know how there are those families who put up xmas decorations and then leave them up for months?
2013-01-23_10.40.36.png
Narnia bridge.
our decorations at spawn have been up for over a year. :)

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:07 pm UTC

I was honestly expecting a bender face in your picture.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:04 pm UTC

Jaho explicitly asked for those to be left, if I remember correctly... it was the only non-additive decoration, too. Not sure about the rest, though - but hey, presidents are busy!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:23 am UTC

Steax wrote:Jaho explicitly asked for those to be left, if I remember correctly... it was the only non-additive decoration, too. Not sure about the rest, though - but hey, presidents are busy!

I did, I like them. Plus otherwise there are no supports on that bridge. Also, I kept the wreath too. And, it's flipping Narnia.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:And, it's flipping Narnia.
/me smacks forehead.

Of course. Never mind.

<_< It's just my flawed personality and my hatred for all things happy and fluffy.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 am UTC

Leaving the Christmas lights up adds character. Also, i have no idea how to take them all down without breaking something.

Although now that you mention it, it *might* be about time to burn down the clock-tower-tree-thing.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:29 pm UTC

Uh, relevantish, saw this on another site and figured you lot would be able to appreciate it more than I can:
mu

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:35 am UTC

... My jungle is full of slimes. I guess they can be my pets.
Attachments
2013-01-31_17.37.41.png
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:18 am UTC

Steax, I totally have a working mouse now. Can haz whitelist, plz?
Also, once I have FTB working, I'll probably ask for an FTB whitelist, too.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm UTC

Sure, what's your IGN?

Also, magna, where is your site?

And some of you guys still need to visit the Pandora Plains city center to get your christmas gifts!

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 pm UTC

I am Carlington in game, as well. I am Carlington almost everywhere.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:57 pm UTC

Added! I can help you get attuned to the server, or you can roam the world freely if you'd like. Just keep in mind that a major center of population is quite far from spawn, and you either want to take the nether or use airports to get to Pandora, if you wish to be there. Ganalef, being ganalef, is still keeping a watchful eye over his domain of dark death and a literal "infinity pool" a few hundred meters above the ground.

It also appears the server crashed (it was running at 100% RAM after me being on a holiday, so no restarts), so I'm restarting it now. Should just take a minute.

Disturbingly, it also appears lightning has struck the clocktower.

Return to “Gaming”