Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:28 am UTC

[FTB] For the record, I still can't come online at all. Bandwidth use is way too high, it times me out in about a minute.

[Pandora] I'm exploring... Interesting uses for fireworks. In the meanwhile, I'll leave a fireworks production machine center in the city!
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:20 am UTC

[FTB] It's the same for me, steax -- my connection to the server drops after about 30 seconds of gametime.

Anyways, once our server stability issues are fixed, I'm in the process of clearing out the chunks around the chunkloader that is loading the reed farm. After that, I'm going to start setting up some more systems (including moving the current tree farm over there to power it with biofuel). I'll probably set up a wheat farm to feed some moisteners so that we have a steady supply of mulch for the fermenter (which I will likely also be upgrading to have more than one) and soon enough we'll have a large farming facility. On top of that, we can set up a biomass to biofuel system, and feed that into a railcraft boiler (which can then be used to feed either a BC power system by way of steam engines, or an EU system with steam turbines). that steam boiler might be our eventual power source for BC utility machines (or even part of the autofactory) as well, and it could certainly supplement our lava EU system.

Interesting thought of the day: what if we built a rail line with tank carts to transport the biofuel to the RC boiler, which we could then place underneath the main building/site for the autofactory? that could work well, I think.

Also, does anyone mind if I rework the system currently autofeeding the utility machines? It's a bit complicated, and can be pretty easily be neatened up with some hoppers or relays -- not to mention that having access to the machines makes clearing clogs that much easier, as there's no way to do that right now without going back behind the system and checking.

In non-machine-related actions, I think we need to work on clearing up the area around the building at some point, in the sense of flattening out the land and making easy travel routes. It's not a huge concern, but having easy access to everything (including possibly a staircase in the main building) would be nice.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:01 am UTC

[FTB]
I do highly suggest using rails and carts to transport stuff over long range as much as possible (non-items, since we use enderchests for those). We can keep a centralized power production and storage facility buried under the hill to keep it expandable. The building containing the MFSU should also be the primary power storage facility (I'll set up monitoring redstone to link up to the 3rd floor), which means the boilers can go there. I'm still unsure about how to transfer BC power - all options are very expensive and lossy. If steam is a good option then we can branch off those. IIRC bona is also nearly set with a nuclear reactor, so EU may be less of a concern.

How's the nether doing?

I've actually intended to use rail lines as primary transport, because they're very stable and mystcraft allows us to get around the usual space issues with rail. Once I can get back on, I'm going to start setting up an overflow room to replace the overflow chests, and a rail station there will draw in desired items to other factories. This makes the main storage building less of an end-storage location, and more of a buffer that tries to store a whole barrel of something before passing on excess to other machinery. I also need to finish the second floor so we can start sorting and storing large amounts of prebuilt mod items, like electrical circuits.

Also, kind of meta: I hope we can all stick around a general base and build around it - I'm not so sure about the concept of distant guilds just yet. FTB (and modpacks in general) encourage party play because everyone will just end up reinventing the wheel. I'm loving the concept of the shared inventories going around, and then people build their own little facilities which are semi-private (if they wish).

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:53 pm UTC

Steax wrote:[FTB]
Also, kind of meta: I hope we can all stick around a general base and build around it - I'm not so sure about the concept of distant guilds just yet. FTB (and modpacks in general) encourage party play because everyone will just end up reinventing the wheel. I'm loving the concept of the shared inventories going around, and then people build their own little facilities which are semi-private (if they wish).

[FTB]This. I don't think we have enough people to make the game enjoyable with everyone in separate areas of the map -- there would only be one or two people in a place, ever, and at that point you might as well be playing singleplayer. maybe on a relatively large server (a bit larger than the pandora server, probably) that could work, but with only about 6 or 7 regular players I think having discrete places for everyone to build (quite a ways away from everyone else, as well) the server would feel empty.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:25 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:My ftb server is up. miasacraft.cbouton.com. It uses DW20. I am working on getting the guilds planned. I will be working on finding the mountain home for the Mages, the Industrialists have New Iceburg, which is located at spawn. Agriculturalists will get either a plains or savanna home. Scientists will get a desert or a wasteland. Adventurers will have guildhalls in all of the cities that will eventually pop up, as well as the Cave of Masters, which I have yet to find.

Mages have Thaumcraft 3 and EE3 as their mods of choice.
Industrialists have Thermal Expansion and IndustrialCraft 2 as their mods of choice.
Agriculturists have Forestry as their mod of choice.
Scientists have RP2 and ComputerCraft as their mods of choice.
Adventurers will have Portal Gun and SoulShards as their mods of choice.

I will work on getting a list of who has signed up for which guild. Signing up from a guild does not preclude use of other mods, it just means you have focused on using the mods of choice for your guild. Each guild will come with its own perks, but for now, it will just be to help design the home city for your guild.

[FTB]
Just got the FTB launcher and would like a white-list if possible. Username: JakeStiles

I'll go with scientist for now because ComputerCraft sounds interesting. I am allowed to change my mind, right?

Time to go mess around in single-player.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 am UTC

[FTB]

Bona, sophiamaster and I have been dismantling bits of the base to try and pin down the cause. We've more or less narrowed it down to 4 chunks or so - but they include the recycling plant, the power plant and part of the sorter. We know the problem block/item exists in more than 1 chunk - we did this by finding the chunk boundaries where the lag starts and finding the centerpoints. I'll post the full math later. We've been removing machines to try and fix this issue.

Melic

Postby Melic » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 am UTC

[FTB] I have been playing around with FTB a lot the last couple days and understand the mods 100 times better direwolf20 helped a little as well as the krafters FTB videos. I have 3 questions am I white listed on the FTB server? If so can I back date the mod pack in anyway it is saying I don't have some of the mods when I try to log in I have newer versions of the mods. And is there a way to get a continuous redstone signal for 2 min then it cut off automatically?
They call me Mr. Piman

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:38 am UTC

Melic wrote:[FTB] I have been playing around with FTB a lot the last couple days and understand the mods 100 times better direwolf20 helped a little as well as the krafters FTB videos. I have 3 questions am I white listed on the FTB server? If so can I back date the mod pack in anyway it is saying I don't have some of the mods when I try to log in I have newer versions of the mods. And is there a way to get a continuous redstone signal for 2 min then it cut off automatically?

1: Probably not.

2: Under 'Edit Modpack', revert to v3

3: Timer and toggle latch.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:26 pm UTC

[FTB]

Josephine and I have been discussing a large-scale base move (or dismantling this one and rebuilding on top). Efforts to find the source of lag have been limited in success, although we managed to destroy at least some of the responsible blocks.

How would an organized base look like? I was thinking a walled city with roads and services, with MFFS systems to keep things at bay and all that stuff - think a flat version of the death star, even though we're not currently destroying plants yet. Josephine wanted a ziggurat type configuration in a jungle.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:16 pm UTC

Josephine and I have been discussing a large-scale base move (or dismantling this one and rebuilding on top). Efforts to find the source of lag have been limited in success, although we managed to destroy at least some of the responsible blocks.

How would an organized base look like? I was thinking a walled city with roads and services, with MFFS systems to keep things at bay and all that stuff - think a flat version of the death star, even though we're not currently destroying plants yet. Josephine wanted a ziggurat type configuration in a jungle.

How about a skyscraper with minecart elevators and a computer system to let you select a floor? (if computercraft is included in FTB)
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:31 am UTC

[FTB]If we're considering a base move, we might want to set up near spawn -- It doesn't seem that there's much going on there anyways, but if anyone dies without a bed it's not a long-distance journey.

I think I might actually have an interesting idea for a city as well...It'd be nice if it were possible to do large-scale world editing though. How does building a city inside of a (medium-sized) blast crater sound? Not really a crater per se, so much as a large, mostly-circular area lowered slightly below the surrounding terrain (about 10 blocks) with a flat bottom, and then a large forcefield at the edge of the crater -- for coolness effect, of course. It would be easily possible with some op'd in MFFS equipment and several nukes to clear the terrain, since the filler doesn't do well with circles. alternatively, just build a circular wall and have toe forcefield around that. Either way, a large forcefield takes a lot of power, so a giant city shield may not be a feasible idea.

in any case, I think having a centralized city would be nice, and I think building out across an area rather than high up in one spot might look nicer as well. (what can I say? aesthetic value has its place, and a sprawling city would look nicer (and be easier to access) than a single, tall tower, though we can have a few of those as well for various purposes.

As for a ziggurat-type idea, we could build something in a jungle somewhere to serve as a central point for farms and the like, and move output from there to the city to be used or processed.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:09 am UTC

Well, we could just have a combination with a large central facility with living quarters and special storage and stuff, fully decked out with utilities and defenses, then another ring with machineries, fuel storage and power stations, then finally a largest outer ring with farms and whatnot.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:40 am UTC

[FTB]
eculc, I need to talk to you about one of the server mods that is not standard, yet.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 am UTC

[FTB]

Josephine and I have successfully confirmed that the lag issue arose from redpower redstone tubes and red alloy wire. It lags terribly whenever it changes redstone state, which means our many fast-moving timers were destroying things. Straight-out redstone dust between timers and machines don't have this issue.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:18 am UTC

[FTB] While playing around in SSP, (using the mindcrack pack), I discovered that you can add enchantments via books to mining drills (efficiency and silk touch both work, and presumably fortune does as well). I don't know if this works in the v3 of direwolf's pack, but it might be worth checking out. Oh, and make sure if you do enchant one of those, you do it on the most advanced version of the tool (as the enchantment is lost if the item is used for crafting something more advanced).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 am UTC

[FTB] I think we'll hold off building the new base until infina upgrades to v4, in case that fixes out lag problem. Building complex redpower stuff is annoying without redstone tubes. And I guess we should all talk about where a new base would be...

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:32 pm UTC

[FTB]
Server is now on v4
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

eculc wrote:a giant city shield
Spoiler:
(I'm fully aware I'm not even playing on the server)

I'd like to be whitelisted on the FTB server. My IGN is NieXS.
she/her

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

[FTB]...I'll shamelessly admit that that was exactly what I had in mind, but we don't have a deep enough ocean to pull it off as well as I'd like.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:02 pm UTC

eculc wrote:[FTB]...I'll shamelessly admit that that was exactly what I had in mind, but we don't have a deep enough ocean to pull it off as well as I'd like.

We have mystcraft and mining lasers.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

Hey, sorry I haven't been around in a while. Can I get whitelisted on the FTB server? As always, it's Carlomagno.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:19 am UTC

[FTB] Yes, but 64 blocks is not deep enough. I was thinking more along the lines of 128, and that isn't exactly possible right now.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 am UTC

[FTB SSP] What do I do with Amber? and Quartz?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:46 am UTC

[FTB] Amber is used as a source of Thaumcraft aspects. Quartz crystals are for decorative lightning at the moment, I believe Xycraft will be adding a use for them at some point but for now they don't do much.

Snark

Postby Snark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Is this normal? This is a random world seed using [FTB].

Untitled.png
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Finally have a mob spawner built, though I probably should've made it further from my house. Anyway, at the moment, 10 8x8 chambers that use redstone circuits to push everything into a hole, where everything barely survives. I come in, let the skellies kill the creepers for music disks, otherwise hit everything with an iron sword for xp farming.

The mob farm requires a lot of iron and string. 80 bows and buckets so far, to say nothing of the redstone....

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:23 am UTC

[FTB]

Well actually we might be able to salvage the current base for now. While we have materials, they're clearly not enough for the full-scale stuff we have in mind. We will need to redo the sorter, though, eculc, because that and the filter was the main cause... I was actually thinking of having a wireless transmitter attached to a timer, and wherever we need pulses, we just attach a receiver.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 am UTC

[FTB]
I have finally gotten ForgeIRC working. You can now communicate to players in game from the IRC channel, and vice versa.

Well actually we might be able to salvage the current base for now. While we have materials, they're clearly not enough for the full-scale stuff we have in mind. We will need to redo the sorter, though, eculc, because that and the filter was the main cause... I was actually thinking of having a wireless transmitter attached to a timer, and wherever we need pulses, we just attach a receiver.
I will give you the receivers if you can give me a count of how many you will need.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

NieXS
Why's the rum gone?

Postby NieXS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:03 am UTC

eculc wrote:[FTB] Yes, but 64 blocks is not deep enough. I was thinking more along the lines of 128, and that isn't exactly possible right now.
We can simply build a new ocean, why not?
she/her

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:29 am UTC

[FTB] I think I'm calling it for now - we can just rebuild the base on top of the old one. Probably more structured. The sorting system can just consume the whole basement to make up for the redstone issues.

For receivers, I think we'll need quite a few... But for now I still have a bunch.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:43 pm UTC

Is the FTB launcher broken? I have no idea why my SSP game worked yesterday but FTB won't even start today. (edit: forced re-download, works)
Last edited by bigglesworth on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

So, apparently the new snapshot includes support for animated textures

I'm not sure there will ever be a better use for them than this though.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:03 am UTC

[FTB]
Weird bug occurred, had to roll back to the pre-update world.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 am UTC

[FTB]

Bugs are persisting, so if you build stuff, they could just randomly revert for no reason. Josephine is able to reproduce the bug.

[Talon]

OH GOD TNT CARTS OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

(FTB) It sounds like a chunk unloading problem to me. Chunk unloads and is written to disk. Write fails, and Notch in his infinite wisdom leaves no log of the failure and your data vanishes.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm UTC

[FTB]
It looks like it. I'd recommend nobody build anything permanent until this is fixed... It's a pretty serious bug.

[Vanilla]
I get the really strong impression that the newest updates are based around the FTB/tekkit mods. You have hoppers which are basically super-expensive buildcraft pipes. You have the new redstone block which basially makes vertical and weird redstone setups possible, ala redpower. Also various detectors and the comparator thing. You have TNT carts and their accompanying track ala railcraft. I wonder what's next.

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:15 pm UTC

[FTB]
So my single player world crashed when I went to a new myst age and now I cant load that game, is there a way to move where I am with out loging in to that world. This is not a super big deal because I restarted just wondering for the future or if anyone else has this problem. Also on the tekkit wiki it says there is a way to convert EU into MJ ( im trying ot run my quarry off solar) but the block they used isnt in the game is there a way to do that in FTBDW20?
They call me Mr. Piman

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Melic wrote:[FTB]
So my single player world crashed when I went to a new myst age and now I cant load that game, is there a way to move where I am with out loging in to that world. This is not a super big deal because I restarted just wondering for the future or if anyone else has this problem. Also on the tekkit wiki it says there is a way to convert EU into MJ ( im trying ot run my quarry off solar) but the block they used isnt in the game is there a way to do that in FTBDW20?

Forestry's electric engine.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

[FTB] Does DW20's pack have the TE? You might want to play around with redstone energy cells.
Also, am I the only one on these forums who actually likes the Mindcrack pack as is? It really feels more like a smp friendly setup, what with the twilight forest being much more brutal than I remember.

Edit: I wont be able to get back on the server for however long it takes to figure out what broke when my pc decided to take a three foot fall...
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

[FTB] soooooo...all of the machines on the server are gone. what happened to them? I assume they went somewhere, but I can't see where.

EDIT: have been informed via IRC, please ignore the previous message.

Return to “Gaming”