Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

Having spent the last 5 hours in FTB, I only have one thing to say:

WHO THE HELL CAME UP WITH THIS INDUSTRIAL CENTRIFUGE THING?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:18 pm UTC

Is the sand generator broken or has the exploit been patched? It's not making sand.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Having spent the last 5 hours in FTB, I only have one thing to say:

once again, greg. you can thank him for your frustrations with waiting [integer overflow] [unit of time] for your stuff to process through the centrifuge.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

The exploit has been patched with the latest update, I believe. I'll move some of my exported sand to the communarium when ready.

Meanwhile in FTB Land...

"So I finally get 10 diamonds and a ton of obsidian! I have 2-3 stacks of most major ores!"
> Heads home
"Hmm, I should really go for that solar panel, it's always where I start."
> Solar Panel requires 2 "Silicon Cells", 2 of a bunch of items (easiest appears to be the Bronze Electron Tube) and Generator+Glass
"Okay, I'll macerate some stone, smelt it into glass, make glass panes."
> Makes Generator (to stick coal in), Batbox (to store some power)
> Makes Macerator, Electric Furnace
"Now I need... Generator, so a bunch of refined iron and a battery. The battery needs copper cable, which means rubber."
> Gets rubber
> Makes Extractor (to produce more rubber) to make another Extractor
> Makes wiring to organize stuff
"Okay, that was easy. Let's do those "Bronze Electron Tubes" now."
> Making that requires a "Thermonic Fabricator". This requires a ton of gold and bronze
> Macerate and smelt gold
> Macerate tin and copper, combines them into bronze, smelts that
> Makes Thermonic Fabricator
"This thing seems to want sand, so I throw some in, but nothing's happening. But it's mentioning MJ, so maybe it's builcraft."
"Maybe an electric engine will work."
> Makes electric engine, hooks up to power
> Gives lever and flips switch
"That works, I now spent a ton of copper and tin to make the 2 Bronze Electron Tubes needed".
"Now I need to make the Silicon Cells."
"That needs an 'Industrial Centrifuge'."
> Industrial Centrifuge requires 2 Advanced machine blocks, an Extractor, an advanced circuit, a pulsating chipset, etc.
"Advanced machine block needs... coal dust and alloy plating. Alloy plating requires mixed metal ingots. Mixed metal ingots require refined iron, bronze and tin."
> Macerates a whole stack of coal for the coal dusts
> Prepares refined iron, bronze and tin, but it turns out to need a "Rolling Machine"
> Makes Rolling Machine
> Turns out Rolling Machine also requires an electric engine
> Makes mixed metal ingot, compresses it in compressor
> Finishes making coal-related stuff
> Advanced machine blocks complete!
"Now for the pulsating chipset."
"It's just an ender pearl and a piece of redstone... Wait, 'Assembly Table'?"
> Assembly Table requires 6 obisidan, a diamond gear (includes 4 iron, 4 gold, 4 diamond), a diamond, and redstone
"Fuck you."
> Makes Assembly Table
> Still won't work
"*Googles* oh... the Assembly Table requires a Laser."
> Laser requires 4 obsidian, 2 diamond, and redstone
"Seriously, fuck you."
> Makes laser, hooks up to another electric engine
"Okay, it's working on it... Wait, why is it taking so long?"
> Assembly Table operation requires 40.000 EU or something like that
> For reference, 1 piece of coal is 400 EU

*ragequits*

Okay, where is this greg guy. And I wanna see whoever made buildcraft, it appears he/she took Notch's "screw documentation or tutorials, let 'em learn" thing WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

For future reference, you can use any combination of circuits for any of the gregtech machines. I know it won't help much now, but you can use the IC2 circuits (made with copper cable and redstone, and some R. Iron) in place of the other ones that require different machines.

on the plus side, you now have all the infrastructure required to create solar panels - now you only need resources to actually make them, and those machines all have a bunch of other uses as well.

...yeah, now you see why I think it's a bit too tedious to collect everything to make a solar panel, and that's not even the worst thing. it really moves the "free" power generation WAY further along the line as far as development goes.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

The assembly table isn't strictly neccessary: you could have made two bronze electron tubes, for instance, rather than trying to make a pulsating chipset. Of course, its rather hard to tell that is an option with that recipe's interface.
... and since eculc just pointed that out already, let me just say that at least in my opinion, "free" power should be further down the line. Otherwise, there is hardly any point to mess around with buildcraft and/or railcraft.

The easiest way to get the silicon cells once you have the centrifuge is through flint or clay dust, so at least once you have the machine its not too bad...

(As for why I like gregtech: it makes finally getting the higher tiered solar panels into a rather difficult challenge (not that I like the time requirement on the centrifuge, that could be timed way back), and thus feels more rewarding when finally finished. Also, it gives me a use for the dozens of stacks of rubies I seem to find everywhere...)

Still, if y'all don't enjoy it, probably better to disable the new recipes (supposedly this is quite doable, though I personally have not been tempted to test it)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

It's a config option. As I said before, It'd be nice if we could have the extra power generation and storage ability of GT (fusion reactors? sign me up.) but without the added tedium of collecting a ton of resources for low gain, especially since you can do much the same thing _cheaper_ with other mods included in the modpack.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:30 pm UTC

Sounds reasonable.
Oh, out of curiosity, would the FTB server use mystcraft ages or not?
(I've played on a few that didn't like them because A: you don't quite get the same sort of community feeling and B: it apparently stressed their servers/computers too much).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Having spent the last 5 hours in FTB, I only have one thing to say:

I know. All I wanted to make was a solar panel, and to get that I need to build 20 different machines.

edit: actually, I think I took an easier recipe than you ended up using. I think I circumvented the assembly table.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:51 am UTC

Kain wrote:Sounds reasonable.
Oh, out of curiosity, would the FTB server use mystcraft ages or not?
(I've played on a few that didn't like them because A: you don't quite get the same sort of community feeling and B: it apparently stressed their servers/computers too much).

We've decided to have a mining age and a void age as our only mystcraft ages, so we can still have a few of the benefits without the incredible toll on servers and loneliness.

MaFraL
Just a bit off the tip, please.

Postby MaFraL » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 am UTC

I kind of want to ask to join that modded server, but I spend enough time playing Minecraft already... :|

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:27 am UTC

PROTIP: Don't pastebin FTB console logs that include authentication errors because they include your password in plain text.

If you search

site:pastebin.com "https://login.minecraft.net/?user="

On google and go to page 3 or 4 you'll see heaps of people pastebinning logs that include their passwords. Don't do this (no shit).

Also don't have weak passwords. I saw a person's password on that google search that was exactly the same as their username minus a single number on the end...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am UTC

I really liked how hard it was, though. It was an actual goal (yes, while building a good chunk of all the machines I'll need for a while) and it gave me something to work to. Even the centrifuge is useful for generating power.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Hey, can my bro get whitelisted? I kind of got him hooked on PC minecraft and he's been looking for a well-established community server we can play together on.

username: II_Zer0

My Bro hasn't been whitelisted yet :(
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:47 am UTC

Oh? Which mod responded to your PM that they'd take care of it?

Because... you did send them a PM, right?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:PROTIP: Don't pastebin FTB console logs that include authentication errors because they include your password in plain text.

If you search

site:pastebin.com "https://login.minecraft.net/?user="

On google and go to page 3 or 4 you'll see heaps of people pastebinning logs that include their passwords. Don't do this (no shit).

Also don't have weak passwords. I saw a person's password on that google search that was exactly the same as their username minus a single number on the end...

I tweeted Direwolf20, Slowpoke101, and sk89q about this post. sk89q has tweeted a warning to check their pastebins already.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:45 am UTC

Neat.

Who are they? >.>;
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:53 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Neat.

Who are they? >.>;

He used to be a part of the bukkit team. He also wrote WorldEdit, WorldGuard, CommandBook, and CraftBook.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

For the others: DW20 is a youtuber and "official PR guy" for the FTB pack. he makes vids of himself playing MC with the modpack.

Slowpoke is the official creator of the modpack.

oscar_spider

Postby oscar_spider » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:Also, the whole oscarville/greek temple thing etc is pretty great. I cashed in the golems that had built up in the excellent golem harvester... sorry if that's a problem. I expect the whole thing is the work of oscar spider. Congrats, nice build!

Saw this while catching up on forum messages. Oscarville and The Parthenon are mine, but the off-shore Golem farm is Fractangles. I have a simple Golem farming setup in Oscarville, but you have to push the Golems into the pit. Works for me - I have tons of iron from it. Oscarville is primarily setup for farming villagers for good trades, and ancillary farming of stuff to trade them.

I've been working on designs for a new thing to build: a maze with Zork style puzzles to solve. So unlike dedicated puzzle maps, this will be resetable at the touch of a button and is not be designed to kill players or destroy the maze in the process. I have lots of ideas for neat features and am testing them out.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

So two awesome things happened on the server, one of my ideas is to have a recreational jetpack range, at that you'd use command blocks to get to floating islands and maybe there would be prizes.

The other idea is a server trip to Canada. The main spot in Canada would be Niagara falls. This would happen sometime in January if other people are interested and it seems like it could be a fun idea.
these are words
type, type, type

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:51 pm UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:The other idea is a server trip to Canada. The main spot in Canada would be Niagara falls. This would happen sometime in January if other people are interested and it seems like it could be a fun idea.

Why not in Borlänge in Sweden? :P

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:00 pm UTC

Oh, Re: My server's bad chuck

Has that been fixed? If not, can I get a rough idea as to where it is so I can fix it?

*edit* Ultima 6 map is in. Woo!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:05 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Oh, Re: My server's bad chuck

Has that been fixed? If not, can I get a rough idea as to where it is so I can fix it?

*edit* Ultima 6 map is in. Woo!

It's right near spawn, and go upwards along my flying walkway. It'll be off to the side. I think there were also coordinates posted... It should only be less than a minute flying time.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:23 am UTC

It should be cleaned up.

Let's play a game. It's called "Guess which chunk is the new chunk"
Spoiler:
2012-12-16_01.21.56.png
Winner gets nothing.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:02 am UTC

XKCD2012.png

It's that time of year again.

halgdp

Postby halgdp » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:39 am UTC

Is that supposed to be the Benders head or some Santa Claus head? (or a cup? :o :roll: )

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure it's Bender Claus.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I'm pretty sure it's Bender Claus Robot Santa.

fixed.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:31 am UTC

So, with the Ultima map in and being converted to my own usage even though it wasn't something any of us made so I probably should have asked first but didn't (Because the Ultima games were a big part of my childhood and also fuck you, that's why) I have a question I'm going to throw out to all of you.

Would you like me to import another map of that sort?

Specifically, this map?

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:00 am UTC

I doubt many people will have an objection to putting actual maps into the empty space on the server. after all, it IS empty, so it's not like there's anything that's going to be broken by putting it there.

in any case, it sounds like a good idea to me.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 am UTC

It just sounds like a more interesting way to generat terrain. The minecraft generator is good, but repetitive.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:54 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Specifically, this map?

YES. I want to build some of the cities. (After that mushroom update, Sadrith Mora will be pretty easy...)

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Specifically, this map?

Sure, sounds like fun!

I wonder if anyone's done a Resident Evil 4 map....

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:09 am UTC

Pandora seems to have a mostly-defunct egg farm, so I have taken it upon myself to make it larger than 5 chickens. It is taking a while.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:59 am UTC

headprogrammingczar wrote:Pandora seems to have a mostly-defunct egg farm, so I have taken it upon myself to make it larger than 5 chickens. It is taking a while.

Wait, your egg farm only has 5 chickens? Mine has 20. You can take some of my eggs.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:32 am UTC

I saw a handful of chickens in the sheep tower about a week or two ago. I figured they probably escaped from some chicken farm somewhere. I killed a couple, and some more of them drowned in the water elevator there. But that was so long ago I doubt it has anything to do with the farms you're talking about...

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:41 am UTC

Those were put there by... someone. Back at the initial pandora settlement, in the basement of the cobble and nrack building, at the bottom of the multilevel wheat farm, there's plenty of chickens grooving around. Also, Valhalla has a pretty excellent egg farm.

So, apparently the end portal has been located. I, for one, am up for an excursion, but not before the finders have theirs.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 am UTC

I want to make sure everyone gets to go on the excursion that wants to for the dragon killing. I have the code nice and ready for when we do go out. I am planning on providing some potatoes and some potions as part of the general stock of supplies. I will also be bringing some snowmen because they are awesome.
these are words
type, type, type

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:56 am UTC

I'm fully decked out and logged out at spawn. I had to log out when two of us were about to go, but I'd like to let anyone get in on it. That dragon is guarding XP and ender pearls!

Also, I have a chest completely full of eggs. I'd be happy to put a bunch of chickens in there for you, I just need to know where. At this point, chickens seem to be only useful for their eggs. Would anyone be up for working on a group pumpkin pie farm with me? I'd love to phase out melons as the universal food source.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Return to “Gaming”