Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

_infina_

Re: Minecraft

Postby _infina_ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:11 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:chat (we don't have),

teamspeak3 is a service I can provide.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

Roosevelt wrote:As a forward, I would like to warn you that it is very early, I am somewhat invested in the subject, and I like to write.

The Anti-Defense Manifesto

(...well thought out awesome stuff...)

Yours truly,

Summer Glau Theodore Roosevelt

Hear Hear!!! Bravo! Remember the Maine!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

In other news, I backed up Talon's server and it is now in the process of converting. It's up to 38% converted, so it should be good before too much longer.

Melic

Postby Melic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:46 pm UTC

Would it be easy to maintain the current version that STs server is running in post one? as well as info on the MA server (who to contact for coords, link to there sub redit) and even the science server (if its still running.) also sorry I havnt been on in a while some of you know i was in the process of uncovering that acient dwarven ruin and I got a little burnt out. But recently I have had to reformat my comp and now I have no idea what version the server is and still have to fix all my mods/t-packs.

- Piman1
They call me Mr. Piman

Manial

Postby Manial » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

MA Talk: It looks like someone came back in the last couple of hours and broke the remaining beds in the mob farm. I think this means that this thread could be being monitored. It's probably best to communicate anything vital using something less public.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm UTC

Manial wrote:I think this means that this thread could be being monitored. It's probably best to communicate anything vital using something less public.
Could we use a PM mailing list sort of thing maybe? There's something else we could do but I don't want to say it here...
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

How someone could have figured out that XKCD was our group, specifically, is yet to be understood.

A PM discussion list might not be a bad idea. a bit clumsy, but so long as everyone pays attention, we can talk about anything. if something leaks, we'll know it's someone here, at least.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

Try googling "miner apocalypse pandora". We are the 4th result, and the 1st that has anything to do with the server...
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

We could make a free email account somewhere and give trusted folks the password.

Talon's server is on 1.2.3. Bukkit has a recommended build for 1.2.5, I'll PM Talon to see if that can be added to the available list of server jars.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

I have a forum available on my own site, I can create something hidden from the public, like FaiD, and only trusted pandorans can access it. If that is what we decide, I will set it up and give you the address to the forums so you can register. It will take a bit of work, but it could be well worth it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 pm UTC

How about everyone goes out and builds approx 1 base per month or week. It would result in various bases that are hidden in various ways. One of the main problems with a floating base is that there needs to be someone at the top to let water down and are VERY easy to see with minimap mods.

ST server: Even if it is updated to 1.2.4 people with 1.2.5 can still play on it.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

wam

Postby wam » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:41 pm UTC

I accidentally upgraded to 1.2.5 rather than 1.2.3, so now can't access the ST server.

Any advice on how to downgrade?
Come join us playing mafia signup here

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:08 pm UTC

wam wrote:I accidentally upgraded to 1.2.5 rather than 1.2.3, so now can't access the ST server.

Any advice on how to downgrade?

Save your old jar? I've heard that MCNostalgia can downgrade you without the old jar, but I am not certain.

Talon replied, hopefully we'll have a new jar available soon. I'll check in regularly.

Quordlepleen

Postby Quordlepleen » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:39 pm UTC

Hi, I normally lurk around in the New&Articles forum. I saw talk of the MA server, checked it out and it seems pretty cool. I was wondering if I could join up with you guys.
Life is a tragedy for those who feel, but a comedy to those who think. - Horace Walpole

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

hmm, this might be a good example of a secondary base. Have that be the more public one and the one that people who want to join in on the Pandora outpost/empire go to and are observed to see how they are more or less.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm UTC

bluejello wrote:hmm, this might be a good example of a secondary base. Have that be the more public one and the one that people who want to join in on the Pandora outpost/empire go to and are observed to see how they are more or less.

this being an example of what should be discussed privately, if anything. if raiders know that they will be watched until shown to be good, they will be on their best behavior--until they have unopposed access to our supplies.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

I agree. We no longer talk MA stuff on the forum, I just googled "miner apocalypse pandora" and we are now the second result. We need some sort of secure way to communicate with eachother. I also found a double cave spawner, I will post the coords on the gmail doc file. I'm still working on it and it will soon be open. Last night while exploring the nether, I went to a Nether fortress that Mr. Roos and me found after they expanded the map. I got another stack of netherwart and 2.25 stacks of blaze rods. It seems that no one has been there yet. ...So much for not talking about MA stuff. hehe. When you guys find a secure way to communicate let me know, I have some important news about a "base" that came to mind while I was in the Nether.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:39 pm UTC

I lack access to the google docs as of now. Also I shall refrain from typing things potentally security breaking of our base of operations and this is a odd sentance structure...

Carlomagno

Postby Carlomagno » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:38 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:I agree. We no longer talk MA stuff on the forum, I just googled "miner apocalypse pandora" and we are now the second result. We need some sort of secure way to communicate with eachother. I also found a double cave spawner, I will post the coords on the gmail doc file. I'm still working on it and it will soon be open. Last night while exploring the nether, I went to a Nether fortress that Mr. Roos and me found after they expanded the map. I got another stack of netherwart and 2.25 stacks of blaze rods. It seems that no one has been there yet. ...So much for not talking about MA stuff. hehe. When you guys find a secure way to communicate let me know, I have some important news about a "base" that came to mind while I was in the Nether.

Why must these fora have such ridiculously high pagerank?

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I have a forum available on my own site, I can create something hidden from the public, like FaiD, and only trusted pandorans can access it. If that is what we decide, I will set it up and give you the address to the forums so you can register. It will take a bit of work, but it could be well worth it.

I like the sound of that. Do you have any resources in the way of IM, too?

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

In way of im, how about we just use irc and kick anyone who isn't from here?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

we could just have this conversation in FaiD. Everyone here has access to FaiD, right?

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 pm UTC

for MA server:
Spoiler:
I tried sending a pm to the people that were on the original coords pm a while back and I tried adding some new people but then it was too many so I decided to put my ideas out here.
For trusted members we could use skype or google for chat to others. It is pretty easy to make a google account, for those that don't have an account or don't want to use their real one. I havnt used googles chat much but I am pretty sure there is a way to talk to multiple people at once or to have multiple people text chatting with each other. This would allow for day to day, or hour to hour control of the base.
We should refrain from talking about security things on this forum or atleast how they are implemented.
Also to prevent forum clutter when talking about the MA server try and use a spoiler and a tag in front of it.
I like the idea of a private forum, that would allow for more permanent documentation between trusted members. If there was a public part that would be cool too for general information and to keep those not trusted yet informed with general stuff.
A googlegroup email list might work but I have no clue the security of that.

Thats just some ideas in no particular order for communication on that server.
these are words
type, type, type

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

I don't have FaiD and I don't know what that is. I do however have access to SKYPE and Google chat.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:36 pm UTC

FAID is the free as in destitute private sub forum of the xkcd fora. I think I have my words right. In the board index just scroll to the bottom, it should be there. You can ask to join. Just a bit of advice if you do join, try and lurk in the beginning.
these are words
type, type, type

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 am UTC

Ah, but even FaiD is easily penetrable. My solution is the most secure short of each of us contacting another in meatspace that can use plain language. It won't show up in a google search, so finding it becomes a chore that really may not be worth the work, dissuading the casual griefer from trying that way.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:04 am UTC

I was AFK at the spider farm and when I moved someone killed me. there is a straight path that leads to the slime chunk, where our new base is located. be careful.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:23 am UTC

blalobw wrote:We could make a free email account somewhere and give trusted folks the password.

Talon's server is on 1.2.3. Bukkit has a recommended build for 1.2.5, I'll PM Talon to see if that can be added to the available list of server jars.

Thing is, most MA players are on 1.2.4.

Such complicated versioning.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:25 am UTC

Steax wrote:
blalobw wrote:We could make a free email account somewhere and give trusted folks the password.

I use 1.2.5 on MA, work just fine.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:26 am UTC

I foolishly decided to update ubuntu to the latest version from the second latest one and I think I finally have it in workingish conditions. grumble using wine as the file manager grumble
Now to get the icons back onto my background and figure out how to force it to use the older linux kernel. May be on later today.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:22 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

Yes, but Talon's is on 1.2.3 - or can you also access it with 1.2.5?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:35 am UTC

Steax wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

Haven't attempted it, but we may get 1.2.5 on the server soon.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

New User

Postby New User » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:22 am UTC

Using irc seems like the best way for communication. But it also seems to go against the spirit of the MA server.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:37 am UTC

New User wrote:Using irc seems like the best way for communication. But it also seems to go against the spirit of the MA server.

Given the "spirit of the MA server" is pretty much just sit around and wait to be griefed, I have no problem with that.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:49 am UTC

It seems that java is incorrectly installed or configured... I can't get minecraft working currently. I might just wait for my new laptop to get here and not worry about this comp.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:54 am UTC

I ran across someone named "the majestic" as I was leaving the sky base. Also, is there a ladder now?

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:50 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

Haven't attempted it, but we may get 1.2.5 on the server soon.

I wasn't able to get on ST's server until I downgraded to 1.2.2. You can't get on with 1.2.4 or later due to the new blocks, I believe.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:14 am UTC

ok, I have it all set up, so I will give you the address to my fora and you can pm me here if you register to gain access to the hidden forum "Pandora" which we can use too coordinate in private without the 5 recipient max on the PMs here. fora.cbouton.com

Also, I am currently wandering on minerap to set up a new mobile base.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:49 am UTC

well, at least this way We'll know that it's someone present who compromised our stuff, not just someone browsing.

EDIT WOO 100 POSTS

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:06 pm UTC

eculc wrote:well, at least this way We'll know that it's someone present who compromised our stuff, not just someone browsing.

EDIT WOO 100 POSTS

Welcome Centurian!

Anyway, should we move the info from the spreadsheet into Infina's forum for security's sake?

Return to “Gaming”