Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vieto

Re: Minecraft

Postby Vieto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:05 am UTC

I wonder if there are any testificates anywhere in the entire map...

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:09 am UTC

MA server:

JOURNAL ENTRY 1:
I've been playing for an hour or so. I spawned almost at the exact opposite coordinates from you guys so it will take me a while to get there. I have managed to raid a few stations on the way. I almost have a stack of iron and 1.5 of coal. I'm low on food, but I've managed to surviver from raw chicken and rotten flesh.

JOURNAL ENTRY 2:
I followed signs of presence that someone left behind. it took to me to a abandoned mineshaft and on to a lower cavern system. There I found six diamond and I made a sword and pickax. I haven't seen any other players, though there is always an average of 70 players at a time. I still don't know how I would react when I see one. for now, I will continue on to the given location....

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 am UTC

Sorry if we've taken over this thread...

Anyway, I set up radios in the sky base and underwater since they're too far apart for us to talk normally. The underwater one is behind a dirt wall right by the main ladder, and the top one is obvious. We're using frequency 3.14, so when you're holding a compass type /radio 3.14.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 am UTC

So what happened kiid? I was coming out of my mining and I heard pain noises. I looked around and couldn't figure out where they were coming from when I saw you burning. Did you not have any water on you for some reason? Sorry that I was about 5 seconds late from being able to save you.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:42 am UTC

IIRC bud switches detect chests opening. If you're going to have a storage room you may as well stock it with a few surprises. >B^)

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:52 am UTC

With the sheer number of players joining this server at various times, I'd suspect that at least a few of them are using X-ray mods or texture packs. hopefully that number is relatively low, but it's still something to think about; a good idea for hiding an underground base might be no not make it look like what it is (make it spread out, various room sizes and shapes, etc.)

Or I might just be paranoid. =P
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:20 pm UTC

You can just line all your walls with chests. If you have 500 chests in a base, nobody will ever spend the time hacking them up one at a time. For added measure, block off the chests with a 1-thick wall of, say, sand. Yes, getting your own hands on it will be a pain in the rear, but it's enough to get any would-be thief discouraged.

... Even better, hide the actual goodies elsewhere.

That's actually the reason why I'm avoiding the MA server. Minecraft just isn't ready for it yet, without extensive modding.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Also, has anybody else had a problem of taking too long to log into the blablow server?

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

I have the RAM available again, so I can now restore the SCIENCE server from the old backup I found. If this would be to your liking, let me know. I will also have to place it on a different than normal port number.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm UTC

I would love access to the science server again. I prefer prototyping there. It's also a great place to prototype stuff for the MA server, and non-MA players can also help with design.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

Yep, the science server sounds like an awesome thing. I know there's one thing in particular that we're doing for MA that would be good to have a working prototype of where other people can see it to see how it works.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

Steax wrote:You can just line all your walls with chests. If you have 500 chests in a base, nobody will ever spend the time hacking them up one at a time. For added measure, block off the chests with a 1-thick wall of, say, sand. Yes, getting your own hands on it will be a pain in the rear, but it's enough to get any would-be thief discouraged.

... Even better, hide the actual goodies elsewhere.

That's actually the reason why I'm avoiding the MA server. Minecraft just isn't ready for it yet, without extensive modding.
You magnificent bastard. I should've thought of that. And people have suggested a few mods that would help, but they had weird client-side components and the admins wanted to keep it easy so people would join. Though they said that if the server resets for 1.3 or beyond, they'll take a poll to see who's interested.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:IIRC bud switches detect chests opening. If you're going to have a storage room you may as well stock it with a few surprises. >B^)
Just putting it out there. Unless this has changed since 1.2 this is NOT the case.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

They do have a plugin that randomizes everything not in your line of sight, with the side effect of causing horrible lag and weirdness. Apparently this doesn't even stop any but the most basic of xrays anyway....

Also, please remember to keep the entrance closed unless you are online or down below doing something. We had a visitor today while I was mining who was (fortunately) quite polite and just left a message giving his number for radios. However, the next one might not be so nice. Leave a message somewhere (we should have a dedicated location. By the radio perhaps?) saying that you are down mining so you don't get cut off.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

hey, so how do you set your radio frequency?

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:55 pm UTC

Vieto wrote:hey, so how do you set your radio frequency?

/radio 3.14

I'm pretty sure that you can hear our radios up to ~750m away, if I'm reading the mod page right.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm UTC

MA server:

I was trying to get to bedrock level to start branch mining when I accidentally opened a lava pocket. I thought it would not kill me since I had full health and partial armor. I tried to get back after I died, but I was a long way away. I'll see if I can join you guys again tonight. I'll raid more places on the way. :twisted:

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:51 am UTC

Ah, ok. There are a bunch of lava pockets nearby. I have a 12.6 y grid mining operation going on a bit to the right of the entrance to the tunnels.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:10 am UTC

SCIENCE is at snow.cbouton.com:9999
server has an old whitelist, so I don't know who is on it.
It is running 1.2.3
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:48 am UTC

I am not on that version of the whitelist. Could you add me? IGN is the same as here (meem1029).

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:58 am UTC

Steax wrote:You can just line all your walls with chests. If you have 500 chests in a base.
I like the idea of using 500+ furnaces as storage. You can hide things in them, they're hard to break with anything except explosives, and they're made of cheap cheap cobble. I guess wood is cheap too, but I always have more cobble. Unrelatedly, blag:
Spoiler:
So I'm not having much time to play lately, but I whipped together a chicken accelerator (ala Meteor) in my hardcore world to replace the starvation-risking chicken pit (only useful when you're first starting out) and it dispenses a modest 11 eggs a minute--useful only when I'm going AFK anyway, but useful.

I have a large lit underground room and three dispensers that rapid fire the eggs into that room, and I go into the room and slaughter the chickens with a stone sword...but this is effort, and I'm trying to automate. So, I tried throwing all the eggs into a 1x1 pit and then, once the chickens were grown, slaughtering them there. This works (though too many chickens equals lag), and I've nearly got enough XP to enchant my second piece of level fifty diamond armor (I need a full set before I'll take the risk of wandering the surface at night to harvest gunpowder and enderballs.)

I still think that throwing the eggs into a hole is a pain; if you're throwing a whole stack of eggs and one creates a chick, the subsequent eggs hit the chick and you end up with chickens not entering the hole properly. I'm trying to avoid problems with as little construction as possible, and I've come up with this: I stand with an empty inventory at the delivery point of my chicken collider, and I use a toothpick to keep the left mouse button held down. It throws each egg as I receive it into the slot that will take custody of the chicks and ferry them into the 1x1 hole where they'll stack atop each other. For some reason animals will push each other into walls and suffocate only if given *too much* room, so this 1x1 hole is safe.

I'm going to go take a post-run shower now, and when I get back I'll have a whole bunch of chickens in that hole. I'll jump from level 31 to, I think, 33.

...eventually I'll build a *real* XP farm, but this is working as a starting point. Pity I couldn't get featherfall boots, though. I always seem to get Protect IV.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:47 am UTC

Furnaces aren't hard to break with a pickaxe anymore, you know. They take a little longer than stone, if i remember right. If that was what you meant.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 am UTC

MA News: I mined a mini-slime farm (8 chunks, with at least one slime-filled) in the caves, and we need just one more slimeball to finish the wireless switch thing. I think. meem's the expert here.

Second, should I post about our faction/base on the subreddit? We should introduce ourselves eventually, and there are a few successful sky bases already. The base is Pandora Skybase unless anyone has a better name, and we could be the Pandoran Emissaries.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:58 am UTC

@Gana: Why not use dispensers entirely?

@magna: are you guys still at the coords you pm'd? I may soon join up.

Edit: Finally found the place after a couple hours of insane travel. It gave me a tantalizing glimpse of a water ladder before vanishing. I don't have a radio yet, I pretty much made the journey with nothing. So... now I wait.

Gatchaman

Postby Gatchaman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

Hey guys, long time since I last popped in!

Been playing a little on the MA server, wandering around and scavenging to live! Fun, no deaths yet.

If someone wouldn't mind PMing me the location, I'll pop by with as many goodies as I can keep hold of! =P

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 pm UTC

SCIENCE is 1.2.3...Two of you have tried to connect with different versions.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm UTC

MA makes me want to play Minecraft again. Sounds exciting. Really want mod support for it, though.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

I've found a nice spot, which I plan on making completely hidden once I find slimes.

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:10 am UTC

I too started in MA, made a small underground home for myself in the middle of a massive tundra biome, with a decoy home on the surface. Unfortunately someone already found my real home. Luckily they didn't take anything! I'm in the large positive numbers for Z.

Can someone PM me the coordinates of the group build? Thanks!

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 am UTC

Me too, can I get a coords PM? I'm already a little established, and i haven't been online in a while, but it would be fun.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:37 am UTC

Tomorrow afternoon I would probably be able to get online. could you PM coords to me as well? I'd love to join in.

actually...what version is the server running? if it's not 1.2.4, I'm SOL until it updates--I never updated from 1.1 with all my mods, and now it's a stage where there are mods un-updated again.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:30 am UTC

Yes, it's 1.2.4. I'm still stranded on the surface until someone can beam me up, so I'm waiting for magna or another person. I also saw Manial on the online list!

I currently have a small survivalist base nearby - just a bed, but it's good for keeping a spawn point.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:50 am UTC

Well, I would love to help you, but I seem to have retained my habit from the sky collective of falling from heights and am currently in the same position as you.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 am UTC

I'm on right now, so come on up The server appears to be down. So. (We really need that last slimeball...)
Last edited by Magnanimous on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:08 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:05 am UTC

I'm trying to get there, but the server looks unstable. Is this just me?

Edit: Looks smooth now.

Edit 2: Okay, up now. Unless we intend to leave the thing fully open and have lightsaber fights over chasms to a watery grave below, I really think we can use some railing. Are we trying to be fully independent up here? I may start a tree farm.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 am UTC

I haven't been following this thread for a while, as Minecraft doesn't support proxies and hence I can't use it at my uni. But I'm back at home now for a while! Someone care to explain what the hell everyone's talking about?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:59 am UTC

The main xkcd server is still running, though not as actively since most people seem to be waiting for 1.2 and are having fun at the MA server (search for "miner apocalypse"). MA is a post-apocalyptic semi-pvp server with limited communication and has factions and stuff, though we're mostly just trying to get by. The xkcd server is currently still building its newest city, Pandora, which has some interesting constructions as well, and it moving at a steady pace.

MA: Tree farm complete. The torch spots are optimal positions, please don't move them.

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:41 am UTC

Well I finally completed the ~7k journey (decided to take a large detour around the 0,0 area) from my temporary base to the group base, went up, had a look around and I couldn't see anyone (saw Magna on the player list though). So I decided to check out the mine to see if anyone was there, aaaand I immediately slipped into lava and died.

Looks like I have to make that trek again :x

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:37 am UTC

Did you find the radio? The water ladder was available when I last checked.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:54 am UTC

Manial wrote:Well I finally completed the ~7k journey (decided to take a large detour around the 0,0 area) from my temporary base to the group base, went up, had a look around and I couldn't see anyone (saw Magna on the player list though). So I decided to check out the mine to see if anyone was there, aaaand I immediately slipped into lava and died.

Looks like I have to make that trek again :x
Well that sucks. You could always just kill yourself until you spawn near us, if you don't mind sort-of-cheating...

I'm currently traveling to another city to trade for slimeballs and blaze rods, by the way.

Also, carpet is awesome and it should be real.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gaming”