Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Josephine

Re: Minecraft

Postby Josephine » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

It's pretty minimal. It has a user cap of 192, and usually has around 50 people on. Lag isn't really an issue, serverside at least.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

wam

Postby wam » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

I have finished expanding the sugar cane farm. Its behind the melon farm. It is linked into the clock and the canals (thanks Meem).

Also I have copied the aesthetics of the melon farm to make it fit in. I hope whoever built the melon farm doesnt mind.

I will increase the size of the sugar cane farm in about a week if none of the neighbours mind as it would be fairly obtrusive!
Come join us playing mafia signup here

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

I joined the miner apocalypse server. I have mentioned this before in the thread but my minecraft name is weirdscott. This server seems quite fun. I just have one question, do you spawn in the same place whenever you die?
these are words
type, type, type

PCal

Postby PCal » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 pm UTC

Hey could someone white list my friend his name is TheIllsuiveWaffl

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:46 am UTC

scienceroboticspunk wrote:I joined the miner apocalypse server. I have mentioned this before in the thread but my minecraft name is weirdscott. This server seems quite fun. I just have one question, do you spawn in the same place whenever you die?

I'm pretty sure no, but I haven't died yet. :P And according to the mod, if you get killed by a player you spawn randomly even if you have a bed.

Do you guys want to just share coordinates, or try to find each other? I can set up a radio tower for an xkcd base...

EDIT: It appears that there's a mob limit (excluding spawners) of ~250(?) for the server, so if more than 20 or so people are on you probably won't get many mobs. Which is a little annoying, since it's tough to farm without bonemeal.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:01 pm UTC

PCal wrote:Hey could someone white list my friend his name is TheIllsuiveWaffl

Yes. Added!!

Have Fun!

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:42 pm UTC

wam wrote:Also I have copied the aesthetics of the melon farm to make it fit in. I hope whoever built the melon farm doesnt mind.
Not at all! Sorry I've been a bit busy lately, I was going to suggest building a sugar and cactus floor (or floors) into the current farm tower, but a stand-alone farm is better!

Also I may have been a bit over-ambitious with the city treasury design, does anyone have any sandstone to spare?

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

My auto-building castle now has one section of wall about 10 long built.
Planning on the walls being 60ish long, so 120 pistons at least for the wall building part, which means about 130ish pistons for one side, times that by four and you get... 520ish pistons needed, devided by 64 for just over eights stacks of pistons.
Resources needed for wall:
8 stacks iron, 8 stacks redstone, 32 stacks cobble, and 6 stacks of wood for the pistons, and a lot more redstone for the wireing...

I do have a supply of sand/sandstone currently that I can donate to the treasury. However, some iron would make the deal much better.
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

I joined the miners apocalypse server. (I'm amishdmeon btw i just had my fora name changed.)
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

Note: Don't set up radio towers on the Miner Apocalypse server. It's a great way to get raided. :P They didn't take much, just five diamonds and a stack of iron (and my entire radio tower...), which was sportsmanlike.

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be looking for a good building place about 1000m from the origin city-thing. Close enough to be interesting, but not in direct danger. I'll update this post with coords.

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Note: Don't set up radio towers on the Miner Apocalypse server. It's a great way to get raided. :P They didn't take much, just five diamonds and a stack of iron (and my entire radio tower...), which was sportsmanlike.

If anyone wants to join me, I'll be looking for a good building place about 1000m from the origin city-thing. Close enough to be interesting, but not in direct danger. I'll update this post with coords.

Set up a decoy, and make a trap. "Oh look, a noob! lets raid his house and... 'click' THE LAVA IS EVERYWHERE!" (or something equivalent)

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:00 pm UTC

I've joined the minerapocalypse server. Looks interesting.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Seems like a party's happening over there, so I may as well come join.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 am UTC

Do you guys mind a snowy biome? There's a cool jungle/snow mix at 0x -1000z, unless you have suggestions.

And what do you want to build? Big castle, sky city, underground, etc?

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:27 am UTC

Well for one, let's not post coordinates here if we want to actually get something built. I've played on a few pvp servers and trust me, it will get destroyed. Otherwise, I don't really care. I just joined and have some basic stuff but not much yet. Although it could be interesting to see how long something we make lasts anyway.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Would anyone be offended if I went through the lower level of the melon/pumpkin farm and made it so that grass would not grow on the exposed dirt? As it is now, we occasionally get animals spawning there, which destroy vines and reduce the yield.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

so, when minecraft 1.2 come to this server, how long will it take until a king-of-the-ladder game is started... (watch the ethoslab video)
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:04 am UTC

Miner Apocalypse news:
Spoiler:
Alright, I need to hide bases more cleverly. Somebody invaded us, though they didn't find the hidden chest with valuables. I'm gonna move a bit farther away from 0,0 and keep exploring. The xp farm is still working, though, and I have an enchanting table with me.

Second: Do people want to make an official faction and post on reddit? We could be emissaries from Pandora...

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:07 am UTC

Hmm, I think we should get ourselves established before saying anything publicly. Perhaps have a build somewhere (not right next to the base of course, but relatively nearby (2-300 blocks away probably)) that we mass up supplies for for a while and then do a power building session some night and announce ourselves at the same time.

Edit: I think for now since I am about 4k blocks away from where you guys are I'm going to get myself set up in a temp base to try and get some armor and other resources and then join up with you guys later.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:25 am UTC

I'm thinking we could build another Castle Impenetrable, or possibly a larger version that holds a small town.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:44 am UTC

Ya, it definitely needs to be something epic. Possibly including a reference to an xkcd comic of some sort. Although not a minecraft one most likely as none of those give good things to reference. I'll have to think on it.

Also, if we get a basic plan together I can start working on supply gathering. As it is, we'll probably need a bunch of stone bricks since those are popular for builds. Maybe some wool as well if I can get a sheep farm going.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

For minerapocalypse I already have a fair amount of supplies getting stored up. I am a bit ways away though.

I support having a giant build. The castle should have multiple levels in the town. Maybe a smaller part of the castle that would be extremely fortified would have a 4 wide or so lava moat that has a secret piston bridge. With that kind of design the moat can be 3 thick around the bridge. Obviously this would be mostly for show and only around one of the towers or something probably. I think a cool way to use both the new maximum build height and have the option for a ton of cool features would be taking some aspects of Minas Tirith from Lord of the Rings. In the lowest level it would be cool to have ocean access and some farms and stuff down there. Then in a middle level some of the more fortified houses and maybe shops over there. Then the upper level would have the main castle. In one of the courtyard I think my tower with moat design would be cool.

I think a cool but subtle xkcd reference could be a sign saying my code is compiling, then behind it on a wall we make a sword pixal art.
I feel that for the faction we should be mostly peaceful. Maybe have a small military arm known as the knights of pandoras box.

This post is mostly just to put ideas out there.
these are words
type, type, type

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

For the MA server, (and I haven't been on at all yet, but I've read up on the mod) Water does damage via radiation, much in the same way that being too close to a nuclear crater does. we *could* use this as an alternative to a lava moat: have players die in the water, then collect their drops below, maybe by having the water supported from underneath by some signs or the like. a deep enough moat would ensure deat to any who venture into it, and we get a little bit more than an "X player tried to swim in lava" message in chat

as well, we could have a visible entrance trapped in much the same way. a set of pressure sets some pistons moving, which close off the tunnel and fill it with water; the player dies and drops their belongings to be picked up. the actual entrance would be present elsewhere.

in other words, YAY now I can start planning for PVP traps and the like.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:31 pm UTC

Ya, that's how the mod used for miners apocalypse works, but this server only has the radio tower part of the mod on. So basically it doesn't use the mod much at all and is just random spawn/local chat.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:11 pm UTC

Mountain fortress it is. There's a decent mountain next to my current base, but I'll scout around for better ones.

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:14 pm UTC

I am by a magnificent mountain range but its pretty far from 0,0 which is good and bad. There seems to be a lot of unexplored tunnels here too. Its a mountain range bordered by a jungle and a ton of other cool features and cliffs and a whole bunch of awesome. There are also plains at one of the borders if I remember correctly. That would give us a whole mess of options with a mega build, also a desert and an ocean from my limited exploring.
these are words
type, type, type

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:18 am UTC

I just visited you, and that's very awesome. And about 2500m from 0,0, but eh.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:50 am UTC

Meem1029 wrote:Ya, that's how the mod used for miners apocalypse works, but this server only has the radio tower part of the mod on. So basically it doesn't use the mod much at all and is just random spawn/local chat.

well, that's a disappointment. I was looking forward to using the awesome water-murder mechanics to actually accomplish something.

although, it's likely possible to do much the same thing in a different way as far as trapping people goes; have water sources above a ceiling that's retractable via pistons; when the pistons activate, the water floods the room, and since it's filled up to the top of the room, players will drown in short order.
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 am UTC

Nah, there are plenty of ways of getting away from water. If you place a torch it creates a temporary air pocket for you, and reeds, signs, and doors create a permanent one. If you had the room consisting entirely of furnaces and crafting tables, then it would work much better. Of course, anyone who goes into a room like that in an enemy base willingly deserves to die...

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:39 am UTC

This trap is really cool, although you have to reset it manually.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Do maps not work on the MA server?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:28 pm UTC

CombustibleLemons wrote:Do maps not work on the MA server?

No, they don't work.. Which is a little disappointing.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

I suppose, but even then eventually players will die...unless hunger is turned off, too. sure, they could bring a bunch of food with them, but eventually they'll drown.

also, you could place furnaces facing away from the tunnel. players would only see the sides/top/bottom, which might help if they're not paying attention.

...or you could just flood the room with lava. which works, but doesn't leave any juicy diamonds behind!

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am UTC

My curiosity is getting the better on me, and I need something to do aside from my currently horrid workload. Can anyone PM me a hint towards where you guys are building?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:19 am UTC

I found a mountain sort of like weirdscott's but closer to spawn - about 1800m away instead of 2600m. It looks good for building, and it's right by a desert and river.
Attachments
2012-03-17_17.24.48.png
At night, and the remains of somebody's farm
2012-03-17_17.22.38.png
Overlooking the valley, with an interesting cave

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:44 pm UTC

Wam, About the cane farm, Minecraft water physics is vigorously non-intuitive. I fixed the outlet water flow so that cane will actually get to the item canals. I didn't see any obvious entry point into the "greenhouse" areas, so I didn't doublecheck the flows there.

Meem, is the cave spider XP grinder under the city finished?

BlueJello, I set up a smoothstone sheet generator demo next to your auto-build castle. Feel free to pull it apart for parts if you don't like the design. There's also a bunch of iron in your donation box.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:52 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Wam, About the cane farm, Minecraft water physics is vigorously non-intuitive. I fixed the outlet water flow so that cane will actually get to the item canals. I didn't see any obvious entry point into the "greenhouse" areas, so I didn't doublecheck the flows there.

Ah cheers for that, was it the bit between the two levels? I had a go at fixing that but did'nt have time to see if it had worked (as sugar cane grows so slowly).

If you want to get into the "greenhouse" areas just break in and there is spare glass in the maintanence room to fix it. The green house bits are there to stop the sugar can bits flying away. if you can think of a better solution im happy.

I will also have a go at making it taller this week if there are no objections? (im aware its in a very busy bit of town).

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm UTC

wam wrote:
blalobw wrote:Wam, About the cane farm, Minecraft water physics is vigorously non-intuitive. I fixed the outlet water flow so that cane will actually get to the item canals. I didn't see any obvious entry point into the "greenhouse" areas, so I didn't doublecheck the flows there.

Ah cheers for that, was it the bit between the two levels? I had a go at fixing that but did'nt have time to see if it had worked (as sugar cane grows so slowly).

If you want to get into the "greenhouse" areas just break in and there is spare glass in the maintanence room to fix it. The green house bits are there to stop the sugar can bits flying away. if you can think of a better solution im happy.

I will also have a go at making it taller this week if there are no objections? (im aware its in a very busy bit of town).

Nah. It was the outlet into the item canals. Most of the canes were getting stuck and not actually making it to the collection point. Just because water flows a direction in minecraft doesn't mean that it will actually carry items along with it.

wam

Postby wam » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:
wam wrote:

Nah. It was the outlet into the item canals. Most of the canes were getting stuck and not actually making it to the collection point. Just because water flows a direction in minecraft doesn't mean that it will actually carry items along with it.

Ah fair enough, I will have a look and learn from it!

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:44 pm UTC

Umm, if I remember correctly the spawner mostly works except doesn't have a way of weakening them yet. I'll hop on and see how broken it is and go build that part now.

Return to “Gaming”