Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby blalobw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

The Pandora Canal Authority (A subsidiary of Bloxtopia INC) was forced to close the canals due to safety concerns. Irresponsible residents have been flushing their pet baby creepers, zombies, and spiders into the sewers, and lack of maintenance allowed the light level to fall below safe levels.

Accordingly we are commissioning the construction of a new canal system below the condemned one which will be compliant with modern standards.

Because every city needs an abandoned sewer system, right?

I actually found a much better item canal system in another video, it's a bit more complex to construct, but tons easier for folks to connect their output streams to.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm UTC

Manial wrote:Also one of the bow enchantments gives you flaming arrows, which sounds like it could be horribly fun.

tftfy :twisted:

Now that sheep revert grass to dirt mycelium will spread anywhere there are sheared sheep around.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

I'll put a fence up then, when my proper computer is working.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am UTC

I was wondering If I could use about 6 of the iron blocks in the city treasure, seeing as no one else was on when I thought of it.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:03 am UTC

Provided it's for city use, I think that's okay.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:29 am UTC

I find it funny how I keep reading about lots of people being excited for sheep eating grass, and then think "Hey... Didn't they do that back in Survival Test, back when 0.30 Creative was the big thing?"

Because they did. This is about the oldest feature ever readded to Minecraft. And so I laugh. Ha. Ha.

I'm planning on exploring out from Pandora and seeing if I can find a bigger desert. I wish the skybox was higher... Could lead to some awesome buildings.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:51 am UTC

I would like to use iron from the city treasure to build a rail from the coastal pandora settlements, (think xp machine and the pumpkin line) to Pandora plains city.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:55 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:I find it funny how I keep reading about lots of people being excited for sheep eating grass, and then think "Hey... Didn't they do that back in Survival Test, back when 0.30 Creative was the big thing?"

Because they did. This is about the oldest feature ever readded to Minecraft. And so I laugh. Ha. Ha.

I'm planning on exploring out from Pandora and seeing if I can find a bigger desert. I wish the skybox was higher... Could lead to some awesome buildings.

Chaos, I did some exploring right after monkey updated the newest map, there are some big desert islands 3k to the north of plains village (one of which is pure desert and has an NPC village where I trapped all the NPCs in their houses, etc).

I would suggest you head that way, though perhaps you would want to wait for the next map update to see if they are to your liking.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:16 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:I would like to use iron from the city treasure to build a rail from the coastal pandora settlements, (think xp machine and the pumpkin line) to Pandora plains city.

Sounds good. I suggest you start the rail at the city point near the item elevator thing in the middle of the south road, near my place. I haven't built the train station yet. We're going to use a similar profile and model like the frontier rail (2 lines, drive on the right, pumpkins every 12, etc). I'll place an example to build off of.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 am UTC

Steax wrote:
Amishdemon wrote:I would like to use iron from the city treasure to build a rail from the coastal pandora settlements, (think xp machine and the pumpkin line) to Pandora plains city.

Sounds good. I suggest you start the rail at the city point near the item elevator thing in the middle of the south road, near my place. I haven't built the train station yet. We're going to use a similar profile and model like the frontier rail (2 lines, drive on the right, pumpkins every 12, etc). I'll place an example to build off of.

Okay I'm thinking of building it underground. It would make it easier and I can collect some cobble at the same time.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:49 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:
Steax wrote:

Okay I'm thinking of building it underground. It would make it easier and I can collect some cobble at the same time.

There appears to be almost a double chest full of rail at the new communarium.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:00 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:There appears to be almost a double chest full of rail at the new communarium.

Which will evaporate a lot faster than you think.

Anyway, I'm not going to be on until I can work out how to rollback this fresh install that has been forced on me by a computer fart, so have fun guys. If its needed, my basic plan for the slime killer is basically this, and to get the slimes where you want, vertical wise, you just give them a ladder, and horizontal wise, flowing water (where source water that is flowing still counts as flowing).

edit:syntax.
Last edited by jestingrabbit on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Will 1.1 take as long as 1.0 to be pushed out? It's not that big a difference, though I'm not sure exactly how hard whatever they're doing is...

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:29 am UTC

The First Bank of Ikari - Plains City is now open. I now need to rebuild my original house into a bank.

Services currently offered:
Safe deposit
Loans (May take 1 to 2 days for the approval process. ;) )

Next Pandoran Project: Plains City Barn.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Melic

Postby Melic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

blalobw wrote:Now that sheep revert grass to dirt mycelium will spread anywhere there are sheared sheep around.

If it becomes to much of a problem we can line the mushroom area with sand or gravel or a 2 meter ditch, would that keep it from taking over all of XKCDia?
They call me Mr. Piman

Kain

Postby Kain » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:35 pm UTC

Okay, so apparently I just killed over 1800 silverfish in that vechs map (assuming they still give 5 xp apiece). The sad thing is (or maybe the awesome thing): it looks like I only cleared about a third of the silverfish spawning blocks.
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Melic wrote:
blalobw wrote:Now that sheep revert grass to dirt mycelium will spread anywhere there are sheared sheep around.

If it becomes to much of a problem we can line the mushroom area with sand or gravel or a 2 meter ditch, would that keep it from taking over all of XKCDia?

A one block wide stretch of anything other than dirt would do the trick.

edit: I think it can go diagonally, but I'm not certain.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

The pan-pandora rail is now under construction.

Manial

Postby Manial » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 am UTC

So after some testing it appears that flaming arrows can't set blocks on fire, so thankfully our houses should be safe (though I am sad that we can't use them as a long-range flint and steel).

If you want to play singleplayer 1.1 but still be able to play on the server, just keep a backup of the minecraft.jar file (it's in C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin if you're using Windows) in a different directory, then let the game update. When you want to play on the server again, backup the 1.1 minecraft.jar file and replace it with the 1.0 one.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

Manial wrote:So after some testing it appears that flaming arrows can't set blocks on fire, so thankfully our houses should be safe (though I am sad that we can't use them as a long-range flint and steel).

If you want to play singleplayer 1.1 but still be able to play on the server, just keep a backup of the minecraft.jar file (it's in C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\bin if you're using Windows) in a different directory, then let the game update. When you want to play on the server again, backup the 1.1 minecraft.jar file and replace it with the 1.0 one.

Just remember that doing this will probably reset your achievements (not too big a deal, unless you were planning on taking part in a pig over the cliff party).

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:03 pm UTC

xkcd texture pack v1!

This is a 16px texture pack that is basically the default texture pack with some minor changes. It requires no mods or voodoo to install. It does not drastically change any ingame aesthetics (unless you build entire builds out of glowstone or something).

New players: this pack is NOT required to play on the xkcd server; it's just a recommendation. I take suggestions from the community on minor things to twerk to make the game feel a bit better.

Changes in v1:
- Glowstone now solid yellow and glow-y, somewhat like bright gold blocks. I'm up for suggestions on this. Made to make lamps look better.
- Redstone wires are now well-defined with clear junctions/endings. Made to help build circuits.
- Glass now has no inner texture, just the border.
- Snow is made softer, nearly pure white. For better building materials.

How to install:
1. Download the texture pack. It's 164kb.
2. Find your minecraft folder (search for a minecraft.jar file on your computer, go up a directory to the 'minecraft' folder, with or without a period), navigate to the texturepacks folder.
3. Plonk file in this folder.
4. Go to minecraft, pick Texture Packs off the main menu, and find the xkcd pack. It has a picture of a xkcd character. Select it. Hit done.
5. You're done! Go ingame and find glowstone, glass or redstone wiring to check.

2012-01-14_21.55.16.png
Glowstone, redstone, glassstone, snowstone, wait...

Please try it out and tell me what you think! I'm not a texture maker expert.

Have something you think is ugly or distracting in the game? Let me know and I'll see if I can fix it up for... the common good.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:01 pm UTC

I'd try it out, but I aleady hate the default texturepack so much...your changes definitely make it better (I've looked at it a bit on an SP world) but I just can't bring myself to use the default textures in any way (except for the stone bricks =P)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Make netherbrick a little more red. and the chickens blue.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:37 pm UTC

But they all lay eggs, so it'd be hens hens hens. Although they also manage to mate, so...
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

eculc wrote:I'd try it out, but I aleady hate the default texturepack so much...your changes definitely make it better (I've looked at it a bit on an SP world) but I just can't bring myself to use the default textures in any way (except for the stone bricks =P)

I'm really weary of doing a full-on texture pack, because there seem to be an equal amount of people who love and hate the default one, and not everyone is comfortable with patching their client for better resolutions (which my OCD demands)... So yeah. By keeping a "default" community texture pack near the default one, things won't stray off too far and you can comfortably use the texture pack of your choice.

2012-01-14_18.01.09.png
Even... no wait, that's horrible and awesome at the same time.

_infina_ wrote:Make netherbrick a little more red. and the chickens blue.

I tried this, but then it blends in with netherrack a bit too much in the nether (red fog + red lava + red everything = sdgfsdgsdgdsgsdfdsRED). I shall see what I can do.

--

Also, a member from a different realm requested smoother wool textures (less noise, more like soft fabric than paint splashed on stucco). Opinions, ideas? I'm twerking it as we speak.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

I have nothing to contribute at this time.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:27 pm UTC

Map updated

Kain

Postby Kain » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

Oooh, so that is where I got lost...

I find it amusing that there is a desert island located at the furthest solar north any of us have gone...

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 am UTC

I have a request, make the netherack PURE WHITE (like in my screenshot pages ago) :D

In other news, this computer does not want to give java access to the .minecraft folder, so yea. time to go to my netbook, and safe that game of dwarf fortress...
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:34 am UTC

The endpoints of the canal system are as follows:
X,Y,Z
-16302,53.6,-7661
-16245,52.6,-7712
-16302,53.6,-7783
-16361,52.6,-7712

This should cover the chicken roaster and the slime farm. The y coordinate is at head height, so if you bring in your item stream one meter below that joining should not be a problem. I'll expand it as needed of course, let me know where the mob farms output will be.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:32 am UTC

http://dev.bukkit.org/server-mods/customcrafting/
I think it was monkey that I had talked to about being able to make netherbrick from netherrack. That plugin still compiles correctly against the most recent bukkit, so it should work, and there is this GUI tool to assist in making custom recipes for the server.
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:16 am UTC

I would also suggest the Essentials plugin, as it allows ops to spawn in potions and enchantments, which could be used for fun and profit.

Also, about the texture packs: since there's a lot of disagreement over redstone, I'm going to branch the texture packs and provide one with the cosmetic changes (and old redstone) for regular players, and another 'engineer edition' one with clean redstone and labeled wool.

Wool labels are for redstone circuits so we have a standardized color-coding system (at least, my stuff will, and anyone who wants can tag along).
Starting with the 4 simplest wools:
White = Data (DAT) - memory cell outputs
Red = R (for latches)
Yellow = S (for latches)
Orange = Do Not Touch (DNT) - for you voodoo bits that you don't want anyone to handle

Less common:
Blue = Input (IN)
Light Blue = Towards input (IN)
Green = Output (OUT)
Lime = Towards output (OUT)

that's all I need for now.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to use my conventions, but at least they'll be here - if anyone finds a circuit of mine and can't figure out what it means, the colors will help.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

Talon's server has gone really unstable, I'm taking it offline until it's fixed to minimize the chance of further damage.

Edit: Status report: My connection is too unstable at the moment to download a 1.3GB zip file so I'm going to disable the plugins and see if they might be the issue. Oh Poop. I can't disable worldguard (and worldedit is required for worldguard) due to folks building burnable stuff next to lava. Well, I'll kick what I can kick and get back with you.

walkerm930

Postby walkerm930 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Personally, being a server owner myself, I would recommend against the essentials plugins because the general opinion is that they are bloated. And from experience, I have found them to conflict with other plugins. There are other plugins that offer similar functionality. I use commandbook but recently it has started to conflict with my home and warp plugins and caused some greif.
In the gospel according to trig there are 3 primary rules: sin θ = x/h , cos θ = y/h and tan θ = x/y. These rules are not open to interpretation and are to be treated as law.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

For a creative server, would you want mobs or not, the new flatland or a regular world, and what bukkit plugins interest you?
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

for a creative server? no mobs. flatlands...maybe, only hesitant because of the inspiration you can get from the environment (and the fact that flatlands don't have oceans)
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 pm UTC

Ok, the only thing I could find was that the log file was over 13GB. It's deleted now, and the server seems to be stable.

Hop on for a load test if you like, but don't build anything you don't want to rebuild.

If it's not crashing at 8pm US central time (4 hours and twenty minutes from now) I'm thinking I'll call it good.

Ok, there have been five or six folks on at a time for a good chunk of the last few hours and Ganalef gave the server a good waterboarding, so I'm gonna call it good.

In the future I'll have to check regularly and make sure the log stays under a gig or so.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:53 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:For a creative server, would you want mobs or not, the new flatland or a regular world, and what bukkit plugins interest you?

I would rather have a science server than a pure creative one.

Preferred configuration for a science server: All mobs, survival as the default so the mobs will behave normally, but allow anyone to flip themselves between creative mode and normal mode. The only mod I'm particulary interested in is worldedit but it shouldn't be granted right away, only after a set period of time. (or after meeting some other measure of responsability/competance)

Edit: Standard world,not the flatlands, with worldedit it's easy to make flat areas as needed for experiments.

myrcutio

Postby myrcutio » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:29 am UTC

Just thought I'd plug for my server, www.badaxemine.com:25565 (just www.badaxemine.com works too) It's a bukkit server built aroung the Towny plugin. Keeps what you built safe from griefers. There's usually between 3-8 players on at any given time, and about a years worth of cities to explore (I have a 2.1gb backup file, fyi)
"Lightning must have hit it, and now it won't work in anything but Windows 95."

Faustus runs afoul of Microsoft.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:19 am UTC

The basically-finished Pandora City communarium: (I'm considering switching the dirt for something.)
Attachments
2012-01-15_14.09.32.png
Second floor interior (overflow storage, and maybe something else?)
2012-01-15_14.11.31.png
Front entrance. I accidentally made it a skull.

Return to “Gaming”