Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Re: Minecraft

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 am UTC

The Pandora Communarium's floor is made of four interlocking spirals*, with chests on the perimeter. Now to build the rest of it...

*not technically perfect spirals, but close enough at this resolution.
Attachments
2012-01-08_21.37.59.png
Final version
2012-01-08_21.29.28.png
original

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 am UTC

Nice!

I've finished the exterior of my mushroom house. You can see it on flickr, or in the game, north of the portal at the plains city.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25196724@N ... 23/detail/
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 am UTC

That mushroom chest storage is cute. I didn't know you could do that!

I think I'll also try some more organic shapes like that. Too bad I suck at them. =/

Also, magna, what's that roof gonna be? Giant spiral?

EDIT: Is anyone else having issues getting on the server? Or is my connection screwing up again?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Manial

Postby Manial » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Also, magna, what's that roof gonna be? Giant spiral?

EDIT: Is anyone else having issues getting on the server? Or is my connection screwing up again?
A seashell!

And yeah I haven't been able to get on the server for a few hours, so it's not just you.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:54 pm UTC

So we have confirmation that magna's spiral has destroyed minecraft, right?

Oh well, might as well blag.

<blag>

2012-01-09_12.55.55.png
How cut- AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

That is all.

I think we need more TNT, or need piman to help us crush them to squishy slime dust before they take over our brains.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:04 pm UTC

So, in regards to snapshot 12w01a, when they say that they are removed collision boxes from ladders, does this mean that ladders will no longer prevent water flow?
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

When will Mojang realize that Minecraft relies on bugs to operate?

I think that means if you have a ladder on the side of a 1x2 tunnel, it won't ever block your movement. I don't think they'll manage to get water in the same block as ladders do, though.

I was about to type "maybe ladders get washed away in water", but I realized this is a game where you can plonk a multi-ton hunk of steel in mid-air and drop infinite lava from it.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:53 pm UTC

Kain wrote:So, in regards to snapshot 12w01a, when they say that they are removed collision boxes from ladders, does this mean that ladders will no longer prevent water flow?

I don't think so, they'll still be a block. Unless it says that water washes away ladders, I think we'll be fine. I think its to do with the fact that if you've got a ladder going up, on an otherwise bare wall, you can run into the ladder as you walk along the wall, which is irritating. Similarly, you only collide with fences when you're well into the block they occupy, but gates "take up" the whole block.

Also unable to log on... If its anything we've done its that slime farm.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

I am looking into the server being down, at the moment I can't connect to the administration website either, so there's no telling when it'll be up again.

EDIT: It went back up *instantly* when I PM'd Talon. Truly amazing.
Last edited by blalobw on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:29 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

0.0 You broke the glass? Was it an emergency?

Also its about time I broke this server, Ive been pretty good about only breakign my friends server (where I learned i should not have any knda rights and learned my "respect" for TnT)
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

I didn't break it, so not sure what happened. I think someone must've tried killing the jumping slimes. I later built a wall around it, because I thought someone had opened it on purpose... And we started having magical slimes floating about.

I kinda doubt it caused the crash, though, we weren't really doing anything intensive...

Edit: Looks like bla managed to summon up enough magical power to undo the wormhole.

Melic

Postby Melic » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

Slimes will despawn like other hostile mobs right? Or are we going to be finding simes all over pandora for a month. Sorry i didnt build a wall our of dirt or something I guess I should have thought of that I was just leaving it open because I wasnt sure if you guys wanted a set up like the other slime farm or just a water path pushing the drops to a certin point. Either way I am not the person to do that and make it look nice I just like diggy diggy holes.
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

I think an item push system is good, and brian/bla is also making his water-compatible!

They'll despawn as usual, and they're harmless, so we're good. The screenshot was mostly just about the amusing hovering slimes.

bluejello

Postby bluejello » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 pm UTC

for some reason opera does not like me and I couldn't log into XKCD... or Gmail. but anyways fixed

A couple days ago I decided to relocated my home, after several deaths I found a flying rock that I decided to live in. As it turns out tiny render distance was once again messing me up. (see the picture for my path)

I will not be on as often because of the WI-FI password being changed at my house and I am not going to be informed of it (I figured out what it was quite quickly, (father put it into my sisters laptop, very easy to find it) but I shouldnt know it so..., in other news I have played a lot more age of empires 2 recently)

Red is the path I took, green is the path I thought I took, and blue is the path I should of take (yes, it is a bit hard to see)
Attachments
minecraft trip.png
Generic comment about SCIENCE! or !!FUN!!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:29 am UTC

bluejello wrote:for some reason opera does not like me and I couldn't log into XKCD... or Gmail. but anyways fixed

A couple days ago I decided to relocated my home, after several deaths I found a flying rock that I decided to live in. As it turns out tiny render distance was once again messing me up. (see the picture for my path)

I will not be on as often because of the WI-FI password being changed at my house and I am not going to be informed of it (I figured out what it was quite quickly, (father put it into my sisters laptop, very easy to find it) but I shouldnt know it so..., in other news I have played a lot more age of empires 2 recently)

Red is the path I took, green is the path I thought I took, and blue is the path I should of take (yes, it is a bit hard to see)

we might have problem.....

I've been living in that area for over the past week, I already have a nether gate and everything. I know I should've posted it before, but that is where I plan to build a damn that will provide water for the upcoming city.

EDIT upon closer inspection you are not trespassing property, I am mainly working inside the circle you drew, but mostly with that lake in the center. You're off the hook. ^_^

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:31 am UTC

Oh, kiid, you reminded me: I kind of want to claim that island to the west of the one west of plains city as a Natural Park. Of course, as we don't have to worry about species extinction, I would suggest that the rules pertaining to a Minecraft NP would be as follows:
1. No placing or removing blocks or fluids (water can be removed if it is in an infinite source configuration, I guess).
2. Keep the population of passive mobs steady (ie don't go crazy and breed 20000 sheep, but don't kill them all either).
3. No dying the sheep
4. Suggestions for rules welcome

This is the region I think would make a good park, primarily because of the contrast between the southern mountain biome and the northern plains biome with its billions of sheep.

This is the bay that is visible in the map. I was originally thinking of making it into a harbor, but there are much better natural harbors in the north of Pandora and in that island to the southwest (the one with the desert village)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 am UTC

How about observation towers for viewing the scenery?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:13 pm UTC

That might work, though of course they would have to be smallish.
Frankly, that island may not even be the best for a park, I just think its a good preliminary loccation to test how well we can do unobtrusive buildings.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

I wonder whether one or two small tunnels to look at natural cave fauna (creepers) and fauna (mushrooms) would be within the spirit. You could line a cave with fence so that you could look in, and light it with lava.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Kain

Postby Kain » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I wonder whether one or two small tunnels to look at natural cave fauna (creepers) and fauna (mushrooms) would be within the spirit. You could line a cave with fence so that you could look in, and light it with lava.

Oooh, nice idea. Very Carlsbad Caverns.

Edit: Okay, I have a new-found appreciation for just how absurd the new armor can be. I was working on getting the orange wool in Spellbound caverns (2 deaths prior, though only 1 on this attempt, as the first death had been when a creeper blew up both me and the very first supply chest). I was somewhere on the third level down, taking my time to light up everything so that I wouldn't get attacked and fall into the lava below, when an enderman knocked me off (I think I had spotted him 10 or so minutes prior, really wasn't expecting that). I landed dead in the center of the lava, figured I was dead, but was hoping that maybe it was 1 deep and I could use my water bucket to survive. As it turns out, it was not, but my armor (iron + diamond chest) apparently decided that I should only take 5 hearts of damage in the time it took me to swim up from the bottom and swim the 5 or so blocks until I was in range of the wool room such that I could place my water on top. I play on hard, by the way.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:48 pm UTC

I am working on a general store in Pandora's First City, and need to decide approximate values for items to be traded. If this works out well, I may start building branches in all the major cities.
For ease, I would suggest one gold ingot has a value of one, and everything else be based on values relative to that.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:54 am UTC

Kain wrote:Edit: Okay, I have a new-found appreciation for just how absurd the new armor can be. I was working on getting the orange wool in Spellbound caverns (2 deaths prior, though only 1 on this attempt, as the first death had been when a creeper blew up both me and the very first supply chest). I was somewhere on the third level down, taking my time to light up everything so that I wouldn't get attacked and fall into the lava below, when an enderman knocked me off (I think I had spotted him 10 or so minutes prior, really wasn't expecting that). I landed dead in the center of the lava, figured I was dead, but was hoping that maybe it was 1 deep and I could use my water bucket to survive. As it turns out, it was not, but my armor (iron + diamond chest) apparently decided that I should only take 5 hearts of damage in the time it took me to swim up from the bottom and swim the 5 or so blocks until I was in range of the wool room such that I could place my water on top. I play on hard, by the way.

I realized that too, soon after we got to Waterworld. I accidentally fell down into a lava pit in the nether, with diamond armor on, and was totally "OH NO IM GONNA DIE" for about half a second before realizing I wasn't taking any damage. In fact, it was plenty of time for me to swim up, build a platform, place a chest, and throw everything in... And then not dying.

_infina_ wrote:I am working on a general store in Pandora's First City, and need to decide approximate values for items to be traded. If this works out well, I may start building branches in all the major cities.
For ease, I would suggest one gold ingot has a value of one, and everything else be based on values relative to that.

I don't know about gold, it doesn't have enough uses, so it'd be largely inflating the whole time. How about iron (and diamonds as a higher level currency)? People use iron all the time.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:57 am UTC

Steax wrote:
_infina_ wrote:I am working on a general store in Pandora's First City, and need to decide approximate values for items to be traded. If this works out well, I may start building branches in all the major cities.

I don't know about gold, it doesn't have enough uses, so it'd be largely inflating the whole time. How about iron (and diamonds as a higher level currency)? People use iron all the time.

Really not much use for gold right now... almost think we could create and attempt to regulate a market for gold currency. But maybe it would be best to leave this up to Narnia, as they appear to have a large amount of resources.

I am also working on a bank system starting with Plains City. Some services will include safe deposit boxes and loans at reasonable interest rates.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I may be opening access to a creative server with the weekly snapshots. Talking right now to those who use it. This may take some time however.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:03 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

Really not much use for gold right now... almost think we could create and attempt to regulate a market for gold currency. But maybe it would be best to leave this up to Narnia, as they appear to have a large amount of resources.

I am also working on a bank system starting with Plains City. Some services will include safe deposit boxes and loans at reasonable interest rates.

Not to get anyone's hopes up, but I may be opening access to a creative server with the weekly snapshots. Talking right now to those who use it. This may take some time however.

The Imperial Narnian Treasury will store your gold and issue currency based on absolute faith.

This is as awesome as being turned into a whale? y/y

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:59 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

we had a similar discussion about 2 moths back between Mr. Roosevelt, Xerillum, Nbonapart and myself if I recall correctly. We were trying to have some sort of currency establish for the server, and after hours of discussion we gave up. Simply because it is impossible. Not one single item is wanted by all, not even diamond. if you know me, I value rare blocks the most. i.e. cracked/mossy brick stone, some one else might value wool, another person silver etc. and of course we have those who would inflate the value of a single item if it were used as a currency like diamond. we all know Scall is amongst the richest in the server. I've seen him toss diamonds because he couldn't carry less than a stack (16) of ender pearls, like if they were seeds. That said, we just let each player be their own market, and set the value for each item.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 am UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
_infina_ wrote:
Steax wrote:

we had a similar discussion about 2 moths back between Mr. Roosevelt, Xerillum, Nbonapart and myself if I recall correctly. We were trying to have some sort of currency establish for the server, and after hours of discussion we gave up. Simply because it is impossible. Not one single item is wanted by all, not even diamond. if you know me, I value rare blocks the most. i.e. cracked/mossy brick stone, some one else might value wool, another person silver etc. and of course we have those who would inflate the value of a single item if it were used as a currency like diamond. we all know Scall is amongst the richest in the server. I've seen him toss diamonds because he couldn't carry less than a stack (16) of ender pearls, like if they were seeds. That said, we just let each player be their own market, and set the value for each item.

Yeah, Willy Wonka was kind of a dick when it came to ingame economy. Then again, Morgan Freeman pretty much keeps his shit to himself because he will cry the day he actually has to mine diamond for tools again.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:22 am UTC

So first, much appreciation to the anonymous donator of the resources at the Pandorian communarium! Myself and several others online at the time decided to move it to a safer facility, and we're building a place to store it. It'll serve as the city's founding material. We request that nobody take anything from the stash without permission from at least several others. At most, we'll transport small amounts of them from the storage facility to the communarium.

About currency, I agree that shops/players can set their own currencies.

Also, kid, I'm not sure what happened, but there seems to be damage to the second floor of your hotel - I saw some bits on fire from afar, and found what resembled a creeper crater.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Steax wrote:So first, much appreciation to the anonymous donator of the resources at the Pandorian communarium! Myself and several others online at the time decided to move it to a safer facility, and we're building a place to store it. It'll serve as the city's founding material. We request that nobody take anything from the stash without permission from at least several others. At most, we'll transport small amounts of them from the storage facility to the communarium.

About currency, I agree that shops/players can set their own currencies.

Also, kid, I'm not sure what happened, but there seems to be damage to the second floor of your hotel - I saw some bits on fire from afar, and found what resembled a creeper crater.

really?? damn it!

why is there fire though? Someone might have lit the fire place and walked away. for some reason the wood catches fire when is lit. I should put up a sign.

EDIT:
that is no creeper damage, someone lit the netherrack on fire.... the damage extends up to the third floor.
whoever did it owes me 30 wool. I better find it in one of the chests when I come back from work.

Melic

Postby Melic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:08 pm UTC

Why not try to find an economy plug in for buckit? Also the anonymous donator, was the stuff you talkign about in the 2 double chests by the slime farm? I left a lot of cobble and ore either for the communarium or anyone helping out with the city.
They call me Mr. Piman

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

tHe_kiiD wrote:
really?? damn it!

why is there fire though? Someone might have lit the fire place and walked away. for some reason the wood catches fire when is lit. I should put up a sign.

EDIT:
that is no creeper damage, someone lit the netherrack on fire.... the damage extends up to the third floor.
whoever did it owes me 30 wool. I better find it in one of the chests when I come back from work.

I don't know, I just saw a piece of the wood on fire from a distance, and rushed over with a bucket. By the time I got there, it was like that.

Melic wrote:Why not try to find an economy plug in for buckit? Also the anonymous donator, was the stuff you talkign about in the 2 double chests by the slime farm? I left a lot of cobble and ore either for the communarium or anyone helping out with the city.

No, we meant a really rich chest... And by rich, I mean "wealthier than the wealth of all pandorans combined". But yeah, your chest is really helpful too - I think half of it has been used for building various stone things around the city.

Btw, I think JestingRabbit disabled the slime farm until we can get a reliable way to just kill the damn things. I think.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

Steax wrote:No, we meant a really rich chest... And by rich, I mean "wealthier than the wealth of all pandorans combined".

Wouldn't that be impossible, as it belongs to the pandoran people? That's like saying x = x + 1 :)
Also, Scallel is on Pandora, so ...

In other news, Spellbound caverns is fun! Anyone else try it/ beat it?

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

Also, Narnia reserves the right to invade your territories, chop down your trees, and harvest all of your unobtanium.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Btw, I think JestingRabbit disabled the slime farm until we can get a reliable way to just kill the damn things. I think.

Its killing them now, so, if you go down on the ladder, and get off on the level above the bottom, then you can see where the slimes are killed, and going near there, you'll collect a lot of slime balls.

There are still a few problems with it. Huge slimes don't seem to want to jump, and there's still an opening into some caves that needs to be closed up near the top. Other than that, once its clear where the stuff needs to go, it should be easy to make it happen.

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

Argh, can't find intersection 3 in S.Cs. I would have sworn it would have been off of the enchantment college area :(
On the plus side, finally got slime balls (after apparently clearing the nether area, and eliminating some 20 blaze spawners)

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:17 am UTC

http://cbouton.com/xkcdmap

Shortened link to the map and made it somewhat easier to remember.

Bank is almost complete, just need Iron doors for the vault. Anyone have a stack of Iron they would like to donate in honor of naming my minecraft country? The bank will be called "First Bank of <country name> - Plains City Branch"
Spoiler:

Malo mbwa mwitu

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

new update. yay. hopefully this time I'll have the sense to remember not to update before the server's ready.

EDIT: and immediately upon posting, the server goes down. either I'm congratulating ST or cursing notch's servers...I'm not sure yet.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Quick rundown for the lazy like me:

Added enchantments to Bows
New Golden Apple recipe (Uses gold nuggets instead of gold blocks)
56 new language translations, including fictional ones such as Pirate
Slightly smoothed color transitions between biomes
Reduced brewing time to 20 seconds
Added Spawn Eggs to creative (the colors of the eggs even look like the mobs)
Added world type options (currently only super-flat and default)
Removed collision box from ladders
Sheep eat Grass, converting them to Dirt, and regain their Wool again
Fixed collision box on corner fences
Walking on Crops no longer tramples them
Bug fixes:
Fixed "Sniper Duel" achievement
Fixed Powered Rail Non-Depowering Bug
Fixed Powered Rail Failure-to-Update on Placement Bug

Most important ones bolded.

Also, I was never aware that you could get apples from oak trees (since it's a 1/200 chance, and each tree has some 15 or so leaves, I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to get). And since 1 gold bar = 9 gold nuggets, golden apples are actually feasible.

Edit: No, an average tree has 50 leaves. Since saplings are at 1/20, you should get 2-3 per tree, which sounds right. That means getting apples could get pretty easy.

Also, why are the canals closed?

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Quick rundown for the lazy like me:

Also, I was never aware that you could get apples from oak trees (since it's a 1/200 chance, and each tree has some 15 or so leaves, I'd imagine it would be relatively easy to get). And since 1 gold bar = 9 gold nuggets, golden apples are actually feasible.

Edit: No, an average tree has 50 leaves. Since saplings are at 1/20, you should get 2-3 per tree, which sounds right. That means getting apples could get pretty easy.

Wasn't the apple thing post 1.0.0?

Manial

Postby Manial » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:55 pm UTC

I think the apple thing was included in a common server plugin before, but is now in the main game. It always struck me as weird that something as mundane as apples were among the rarest items in the game, so I'm happy.

Also one of the bow enchantments gives you flaming arrows, which sounds like it could go horribly wrong.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
Steax wrote:Quick rundown for the lazy like me:

Wasn't the apple thing post 1.0.0?

Yeah. The wiki has more details, but they were nigh-impossible to get until recently.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Return to “Gaming”