Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: Minecraft

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:41 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:I just got a big fuck you from the server...I start xp farming, get up to level 9, got disconnected, and when I reconnected I was inside the farm, getting slain by a zombie. When I did a respawn, my bed was unavailable, and was shunted to spawn.

This happened to me, too. I thought it was a one-off. We should prepare an emergency escape hatch up top. It's quite ironic to crash and find yourself with a million skellies just waiting to murder you...

On the plus side, I think magna has completed most of the nether rail construction, and you can comfortably get back rather quickly.

blalobw wrote:There's a cobble jenny near Rirez's development shack, not far from the Pandoran capital's centerpoint. Let the current position you and aim so that you can break all three of the top smoothstone blocks.

I'm interested to know how close it is to the output from Gana's design, I've got it clocked faster than optimal to prevent cobble-lock.

Have Fun!

Will test!

@Monkey: Bla did the spawner business, so that's good for now. We'll build a proper spawner soon!

Edit: Bla, the jenny seems jammed. Looks like it's a clock issue. Is there a way to get down?
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 am UTC

Steax wrote:On the plus side, I think magna has completed most of the nether rail construction, and you can comfortably get back rather quickly.

It's basically done; you can easily get from Pandora to Spawn, but right now you may have to get out of the cart once or twice. I'm working on automating it and adding in the underground rail I discovered. Crude Paint Map:
Attachments
NetherTrolley.png

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:42 am UTC

It's a piston clock, so it's impossible to jam. Ha Ha.

There's no easy way down, I'll look into it when I can.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:06 am UTC

And if you can get the Trolley station cart dispenser to ever work properly, that'd be a bonus as well. I think I've given up on fiddling with it.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:30 am UTC

Ok, there is a hole to enter the inner workings (or should I say non-workings) of the cobble jenny. I couldn't stay on long enough to see why the clock wasn't cycling, so whoever cares to look into it, Thanks!!

Here is the question, what is the absolute most reliable clock that can give a four-tick cycle? If that's not possible, is there a four-tick clock that can be reset with a redstone signal when it locks up? (I'll be googling this as well.)

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Steax wrote:On the plus side, I think magna has completed most of the nether rail construction, and you can comfortably get back rather quickly.

It's basically done; you can easily get from Pandora to Spawn, but right now you may have to get out of the cart once or twice. I'm working on automating it and adding in the underground rail I discovered. Crude Paint Map:

How are the junctions currently laid out? I'll try getting a peak in. Or... wait, why am I not saying this ingame? /tabs over

blalobw wrote:Ok, there is a hole to enter the inner workings (or should I say non-workings) of the cobble jenny. I couldn't stay on long enough to see why the clock wasn't cycling, so whoever cares to look into it, Thanks!!

Here is the question, what is the absolute most reliable clock that can give a four-tick cycle? If that's not possible, is there a four-tick clock that can be reset with a redstone signal when it locks up? (I'll be googling this as well.)

I tried hot-resetting it, didn't work. A simple repeater clock can be easily reset with a redstone signal, and looks like the spinning cart auto-signaling thing works. Just some powered rail in a loop with a detector rail, that sends a pulse to your clock.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:16 am UTC

My 4-piston piston clock jams every now and again when I've crashed. Sometimes just waiting fixes it, sometimes logging out and logging in fixes it, and there's a third way that ALWAYS works:
Just break the torch under the block and re-place it.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am UTC

Steax wrote:
_infina_ wrote:I just got a big fuck you from the server...I start xp farming, get up to level 9, got disconnected, and when I reconnected I was inside the farm, getting slain by a zombie. When I did a respawn, my bed was unavailable, and was shunted to spawn.

This happened to me, too. I thought it was a one-off. We should prepare an emergency escape hatch up top. It's quite ironic to crash and find yourself with a million skellies just waiting to murder you...

My major issue with it is that I lost my entire inventory, which was just about everything I had mined and subsequently crafted. Other than about maybe five uses of my bow, Everything had been the same since I last logged off.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 am UTC

I've installed an emergency doorway and lined the floor with trapdoors. If anyone gets stuck up there, rapidly click on the floor under you and you'll fall out. It's still painful, but better than dying in that tiny space.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:08 pm UTC

The Pandora cobble jenny is (hopefully) stable and open for business. There's a pressure plate for activation and reset, when there's nobody on the plate all four of the four-clock's RS torches are off and the pistons are forced to "safe" positons, ie the generator pistons are extended to separate the lava and water, and the push-up pistons are retracted to insure no interferance with the generator pistons.

There's a few chests for storage and some furnaces if you like to cook while you mine.

Have Fun!

Edit: Thanks to Meem and Rirez for working on it earlier! You guys are great! If it jams up again, post here or PM me.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm UTC

Oh, I forgot to mention when I was fixing it that the entrance was sort of screwed up due to the piston pushing the blocks into the small area that had been there for entering. I took out an upper block to be able to get in and out.

Also, there is now an enchanting room that's adjustable. Hit the button corresponding to what you want (0=0-5, 1=avg 10-15, top20ish, 2= a little more than that, 3=max) and walk right in. I don't think the labels are correct as far as levels go, although Rirez may have fixed that.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

So Manial and I did some messing around with the Mooshrooms he was breeding, and long story short, we now have a design for a soup bowl refilling station. Next step is to determine what material to construct them out of to make them look good, and then make a soup kitchen and some smaller refilling stations where necessary.

Spoiler:
Gana... It's watching you, Gana...

Insert Soup Bowl Here

Finished result
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Manial

Postby Manial » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Kain wrote:So Manial and I did some messing around with the Mooshrooms he was breeding, and long story short, we now have a design for a soup bowl refilling station. Next step is to determine what material to construct them out of to make them look good, and then make a soup kitchen and some smaller refilling stations where necessary.

Spoiler:
Gana... It's watching you, Gana...

Insert Soup Bowl Here

Finished result
Speaking of the Mooshrooms, if anyone wants a breeding pair I can wrangle them over. I'm also releasing some into the wild for kicks.

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Oh, right, forgot to post this:

2011-12-28_19.12.56.png

These are fun! I've started on the next one and have half of the wools, plus iron.
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:58 pm UTC

I kind of feel like we should make a mock victory monument somewhere on the ST server. Preferably with a few wool left off (red, green and I don't know, white for irony?)
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:40 pm UTC

The chicken pond/roaster is functional, I just need to roof it off. There are a few chickens in there now, once we have eighteen stacks of eggs it can be made fully functional. The cobble Jenny is still working also. I'm not gonna touch it again until something goes wrong.

FPSxploit

Resident Evil - Minecraft Cut

Postby FPSxploit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

Some scenes of a special version of Resident Evil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSTdQLCjvE

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:18 am UTC

Well that was annoying, but the two nether junctions are done. The only real problem now is keeping the pigmen off the track...

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

Line it with arrow dispensers triggered by detector plates.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

I've never had a pigmen problem with my underground trolley. Seems that they tend not to spawn in one wide three high tunnels. Or, at least I've never seen it yet. And, always make sure there's a two or three block drop on either side so they can't hop back on in caverns and such.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:37 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I've never had a pigmen problem with my underground trolley. Seems that they tend not to spawn in one wide three high tunnels. Or, at least I've never seen it yet. And, always make sure there's a two or three block drop on either side so they can't hop back on in caverns and such.

It's mostly fine, the there's a few spots I need to fix. Like sometimes pigmen will wander around the Narnia South (that's the nether area near x=-1000, right?) station and onto the tracks...

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:13 am UTC

New project blag:
Spoiler:
I started building the Grand Cathedral of Pigsy last night, so far it's coming along nicely. Here's where I am so far:
If you want to know where it is, it's in the plains city on pandora, you really can't miss it.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:37 am UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:I've never had a pigmen problem with my underground trolley. Seems that they tend not to spawn in one wide three high tunnels. Or, at least I've never seen it yet. And, always make sure there's a two or three block drop on either side so they can't hop back on in caverns and such.

It's mostly fine, the there's a few spots I need to fix. Like sometimes pigmen will wander around the Narnia South (that's the nether area near x=-1000, right?) station and onto the tracks...

Yeah, I never really did that properly when I first made it. Careful though, there's some lava off to the side where it's dug out at.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:14 am UTC

Map updated

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:12 am UTC

I'm returning to minecraft in 12 hours!

... And wtf xeril? How did... When... holy pig balls!

Oh, and pigmen killers won't work because they'll drop flesh/exp and carts will bounce off them. Someone at mojang thought it'd be a good idea for carts to bounce off items.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:30 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I've never had a pigmen problem with my underground trolley. Seems that they tend not to spawn in one wide three high tunnels. Or, at least I've never seen it yet.

Nothing spawns on transparent blocks, like tracks.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:01 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:I've never had a pigmen problem with my underground trolley. Seems that they tend not to spawn in one wide three high tunnels. Or, at least I've never seen it yet.

Nothing spawns on transparent blocks, like tracks.

I'm not completely sure - we've had mobs spawn on the frontier rail system, which is all track and slabs.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:18 am UTC

If you look at the last list here

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spawn#Mob_Spawning

under "if its not a squid" then its pretty explicit. That said, the wiki also says that huge mushroom blocks have the pore texture on all sides when placed, (though I'm going to correct that in a day or two).

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:31 am UTC

So... When are we gonna take down the Christmas decorations?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:33 am UTC

However,

Monsters cannot spawn on transparent blocks, nor can they spawn inside opaque blocks. However, they can spawn inside a non-solid transparent block, such as Flowers or Redstone Wires.

(mcwiki/transparency)

This means the block under the track is a valid spawn area (otherwise, nothing would spawn, because air is also non-opaque).

... But then again, the wiki is a huge mess of outdatedness and contradictory, so idk. Someone worldedit 320x320x1 blocks of rail and see if anything spawns?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:57 am UTC

You could do a dungeon. You just have to make it a height 2 space before you start sciencing though, because otherwise, they'll spawn one up (or one down) from the level of the spawner block.

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:21 pm UTC

2012-01-07_11.14.39.png
Holy crap, is the red wool hard!
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:28 pm UTC

Okay, things this game needs to import from Terraria, rocket boots. They're just far too much fun, a lot more fun than ladders.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:08 pm UTC

Steax wrote:However,
mcwiki/transparency wrote:Monsters cannot spawn on transparent blocks, nor can they spawn inside opaque blocks. However, they can spawn inside a non-solid transparent block, such as Flowers or Redstone Wires.

This means the block under the track is a valid spawn area (otherwise, nothing would spawn, because air is also non-opaque).
... But then again, the wiki is a huge mess of outdatedness and contradictory, so idk. Someone worldedit 320x320x1 blocks of rail and see if anything spawns?
I have my railroad of darkness in my science ssp world. Before I put glass above the tracks I got skeletons spawning on the tracks. On the other hand, I think I need to redo my tests that saw signs above tracks as preventing mob spawning.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:29 am UTC

So I did some exploring today, and took a nice stroll/boat ride around that island/continent to the northwest of Pandora (on the Tectonicus Map, all that is visible is a rather nice bay and a mountain with a large overhang). It's not quite as large as Pandora (about the size of the area south of plains city), but its mountain range is top notch. I was thinking about moving over there, but honestly, I don't think I can do justice to how nice that place looks.

Also, it has lots of sheep. All white. Kinda odd, did they remove grey + brown sheep from naturally occurring?

e^iπ+1=0

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:51 am UTC

According to the wiki, only about 4 in 5 sheep should be white (link). Then again, we all know how accurate the wiki is lately...

(Avatar by Sungura)

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:23 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:According to the wiki, only about 4 in 5 sheep should be white (link). Then again, we all know how accurate the wiki is lately...

Eh, it could be accurate. I saw somewhere around 20 sheep, which at an 80% chance for any individual to be white still gives >1% chance that all 20 should be. With the amount of game time we all rack up, 1 in 100 coincidences are just that.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:18 am UTC

There's also an island with an insane number of wolves (well over 50 in my last trip there) to the solar west of Pandora's capital city.

... But wait, you now have sheep there?

Feylias wrote:I have my railroad of darkness in my science ssp world. Before I put glass above the tracks I got skeletons spawning on the tracks. On the other hand, I think I need to redo my tests that saw signs above tracks as preventing mob spawning.

I think that works. The game first checks for spawnability, before checking the mob's bounding box so it doesn't die instantly. The bounding box check is simply "is anything not air?" for the upper block.

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:13 am UTC

The cave spider xp farm is officially fixed and open for business! To get to it, go to the first Pandora settlement ravine (I get there through the tree farm) and start heading down the ravine. Follow the redstone arrows on the floor and you should get there. Don't be fooled by the old killing place that still looks like it works. Go past there to a place with signs around. There are 3 operating devices for it. The switch on the right lets the spiders in or blocks more from getting in. Keep this down (blocked) while killing spiders. The button on the left suffocates the spiders until they have 1/2 heart left and are ready for punching! Punch them until they're all dead. Then press the button once more to be sure. Then hit the lever to the left. This allows you to collect the drops from the spiders, including the XP! Make sure this is closed during all other times though, as if it's open spiders WILL escape and eat your body alive.

Also, due to server lag, the spiders may appear to be jumping out at you. This happens, but they don't actually poison or damage you. I think it should work with splash pots, but kiid said that it wasn't for some reason tonight. I haven't used them, so I can't say for sure either way.

Feel free to come down and enjoy a couple levels of exp on me!
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 am UTC

The stables in Pandora have been filled. The mushroom soups are free for the taking, but please return the bowls. Please, do breed the animals already in the stables, but do not enter the chicken stall.

EDIT: I just enchanted something for the first time...and got Unbreaking III on an iron pick.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Return to “Gaming”