Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Minecraft

Postby jestingrabbit » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Kain wrote:
jestingrabbit wrote:No, I do not. I also scored a silk touch thing and I've made a little field out of it, north of the gate. I traveled out to the island SW of (-17k, -6k) to get it. If I'd known I could get it a little closer to home I might have made a different choice.

Sorry, should probably have mentioned ganabane island earlier.

Don't worry about it man, it was interesting to see the mooshrooms and think about how to get them from there to somewhere useful.

Its about 6k from there to the main colony, but much less to some of the other islands near there. Rail is the obvious candidate (we've all seen a pig ride the rails, and I believe that cows are also locomotive compatible), but its a long way to go.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:44 am UTC

@gana: ah. Furnace. I was half-expecting an inevitable blag post involving holding down a shovel on top of a platform in the air... Made of snow.

But yeah, I'm going to try that water method. The one I saw before used pistons, which felt really annoying to deal with...

Also, I think I'll donate my unbreaking picks to you. Or... Do you starve too much with them?

@jestingrabbit: wait, mycelium spreads? Yay!

I'm still. It sure how large to whole continent is. Judging from the number of biomes, I'm surprised I haven't seen any snow biomes. Did you see any? I think some people are looking for them specifically.

Also, in general to everyone: is it just me or has the server not rained in millennia?

I will be back tomorrow.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:35 am UTC

Steax wrote:I think I'll donate my unbreaking picks to you. Or... Do you starve too much with them?
I've been wanting to experiment with them more, but haven't really put the time into getting my XP farm going. I'd happily trade regular picks and all the food/cobble you want for your own projects for some unbreaking picks.

I tried using an Efficiency I pick at my jenny. It gave the same yeild, but instead of taking the new nineteen and a half-ish minutes, it now took 16 and three quarters-ish. (19:34 and 16:46, I believe)

Also, for Blal:
Spoiler:
2011-12-31_16.37.12.png
I don't know that this works in SMP yet. ...but having even just one water source flowing from above and farther away works so far in creative.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:05 am UTC

Steax wrote:@gana: ah. Furnace. I was half-expecting an inevitable blag post involving holding down a shovel on top of a platform in the air... Made of snow.

But yeah, I'm going to try that water method. The one I saw before used pistons, which felt really annoying to deal with...

Also, I think I'll donate my unbreaking picks to you. Or... Do you starve too much with them?

@jestingrabbit: wait, mycelium spreads? Yay!

I'm still. It sure how large to whole continent is. Judging from the number of biomes, I'm surprised I haven't seen any snow biomes. Did you see any? I think some people are looking for them specifically.

Also, in general to everyone: is it just me or has the server not rained in millennia?

I will be back tomorrow.

rain has been turned off
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 am UTC

Steax wrote:@jestingrabbit: wait, mycelium spreads? Yay!

Only onto bare earth, so you have to kill grass (tilling or putting some gravel on top works well, and then let the mycellium spread onto it. Just left next to grass, it and the grass do nothing (or so it seems), so it should be possible to have a mycellium region next to a grass region without any problems.

Yeah, I was pretty keen to find some snow (to maybe make an auto blaze farm, or to at least have that option), but it was proving pretty impossible to find (for the reason amish demon cited I expect). There were a few snow golems made by scallel, though, so now there's snow at the original location, and you can grab a couple of blocks without much hassle, which you could then turn into golems which make more snow etc.

btw, I've largely relocated to the plains, temporarily I expect. It would be nice if the farms at (-16k, -7k) were at least not destroyed in my absence. With any luck I'll find more exploitable spawners soon enough that returning becomes unnecessary.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 am UTC

Rain has been completely turned off?

That's a bit sad, I liked it... sometimes. It would add a tiny bit of drama. Always being sunny and relatively safe outdoors rather spoils me.

But yeah, yay for more mycelium!

@gana: I have a bunch of unbreaking 2-3 diamond picks. I... well... you should get cliffloads of rock with that.

#new map: I like how waterworld and Pandora seems so close until you realize that's really zoomed out and the rest of that world-blob is... the rest of the server. I also like how we've got these streaks of lost sailors looking inevitably for a nonexistent land. There appears to be another continent to the solar-west... I'll take a look at that when I get back on.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:12 pm UTC

Technic SSP 5.0.5 for 1.0, you will be mine :mrgreen:
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:02 pm UTC

Steax wrote:Rain has been completely turned off?

That's a bit sad, I liked it... sometimes. It would add a tiny bit of drama. Always being sunny and relatively safe outdoors rather spoils me.

But yeah, yay for more mycelium!

@gana: I have a bunch of unbreaking 2-3 diamond picks. I... well... you should get cliffloads of rock with that.

#new map: I like how waterworld and Pandora seems so close until you realize that's really zoomed out and the rest of that world-blob is... the rest of the server. I also like how we've got these streaks of lost sailors looking inevitably for a nonexistent land. There appears to be another continent to the solar-west... I'll take a look at that when I get back on.

Well, the rain caused a fair bit of system lag for some people--some people no longer including me. Oh how I love you new computer with duel monitors.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that continent is antarctica...unless I''m just getting confused as to which way is solar west.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Wait so solar west is Tectonicus... north? I'm confused.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:Wait so solar west is Tectonicus... north? I'm confused.

They changed the direction the sun went. I'm not exactly certain the point of that.

Kain

Postby Kain » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:50 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Magnanimous wrote:Wait so solar west is Tectonicus... north? I'm confused.

They changed the direction the sun went. I'm not exactly certain the point of that.

It was to fix some mess notch made where the in game maps had solar west or something as up. Now up on an in game map is solar north, as one might expect. I guess it was easier to change the sun direction than retroactively update the old maps and correct the creation of new ones.

(Maps tend to be more useful on servers that dont use tectonicus :))
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:17 am UTC

As I understand it Notch/Mojang had their own directional standard before there was a sun. Some time after the sun was added Notch said that the minecraft sun rose in the north. This was not explained at the time and the minecraft community decided to ignore Notch. When the sun's direction was changed Notch sais that the original dire tion was a bug that they never bothered to fix until now.

Does that sound about right?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 am UTC

eculc wrote:I'm pretty sure that continent is antarctica...unless I''m just getting confused as to which way is solar west.

I mean, to the solar west of Pandora, after a thin straight there's more stuff. I've never visited that part before.

blalobw wrote:[...] Notch said [...] a bug that they never bothered to fix until now.

Does that sound about right?

Yes. Yes it does.

(I tend to just use "solar north/west/south/east" like chris and many others do now. Otherwise you just get a load of confusion.)

e^iπ+1=0
Much, much better than Gooder

Postby e^iπ+1=0 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:13 am UTC

I'm still confused about what you mean by solar <direction>. Do you mean "assuming the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, <direction>"?
poxic wrote:You, sir, have heroic hair.
poxic wrote:I note that the hair is not slowing down. It appears to have progressed from heroic to rocking.

(Avatar by Sungura)

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:52 am UTC

e^iπ+1=0 wrote:I'm still confused about what you mean by solar <direction>. Do you mean "assuming the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, <direction>"?

Yes. ie we set off solar west for the new world, we found an ocean. We went solar north from there, and found where we are now.

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:33 am UTC

This is literary how I imagine Felias (ganalef) playing Minecraft when drunk.
Turn up the volume, its hard to understand this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LcyjVMI8kQ&feature=player_embedded

EDIT here is the same video with subtitles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgrXYsHRrA&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by tHe_kiiD on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:43 am UTC

Experience spawners are so fun!

2012-01-02_10.37.19.png

That was about half an hour.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Steax wrote:Experience spawners are so fun!

That was about half an hour.

How many levels did you get?

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:21 am UTC

21. I have a bunch of ideas to optimize it, though. Probably also going to wait for bla before I proceed.

Edit: I've worked out a fairly reliable method to farm boatloads of snow.

First, the contraption. No water or pistons. The only requirement seems to be to have the golem on a halfslab and trapped. Leave a side of the enclose open for the snow to settle, but lower than the slab the golem is resting on. If he isn't placing snow where you want it, shove him around till he does.

2012-01-02_21.50.40.png
Pictured: Car Insurance. Oh, and ignore the piston.

Second, how to mine the snow quickly. I figured out that the key is to start holding the mouse on an adjacent block, and then drag the mouse to the snow while holding it down. This gets you a rapid spray of snow. Each stone shovel seems to last about 40 seconds and almost always yields 32 snow blocks + 4 snowballs. This is regardless of where you stand, so you don't even need to be on top of the snow (as previously believed).

Edit 2: A diamond shovel with no enchants got me almost 6 stacks of snow blocks in 10 minutes, including time to craft up the snowballs and store them.

P.S. Gana, how many stacks do you get per pick run? I'm trying to figure out if stone or snow is more efficient at random builds. Resource-wise, stone will win if it can get over 18 stacks per diamond pick.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:12 pm UTC

Fine, I'll just have to start the Snow Golem Liberation League.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:16 pm UTC

I think I might have stolen someone's pick. I was in an abandoned mineshaft under the city plains, and happened upon a chest. It had a couple of obsidian in it and a nearly used up diamond pick with efficiency I. I took them, but looking up what can be found in mineshaft chests, it seems quite likely that I stole that from someone.

Anyway, I suspect its rirez's, so if you want to stop by fungus land and pick it up, that would be cool. That's, or course, assuming its someone's.

btw, the caves down there seem pretty extensive, with plenty of mineshafts around to get lost in.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

I thought there needed to be a reason that it no longer rains. So I built a weather machine. OPs feel free to use it to make peoples homes a winter wonderland.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:17 pm UTC

It needs pistons to make the top part of it spin.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

flowing water and glass might be able to get a spinning type effect. Maybe all the rain is trapped in the water. Or blame the new and giant oceans.
these are words
type, type, type

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:07 am UTC

Steax wrote:P.S. Gana, how many stacks do you get per pick run? I'm trying to figure out if stone or snow is more efficient at random builds. Resource-wise, stone will win if it can get over 18 stacks per diamond pick.
If you mean what I think you mean, I get 24 stacks of cobble and 25 change every time I wear out a diamond pick at my jenny. It's consistent.

I look forward to a vastly improved snowball collection session; I'll experiment with placing the snowman on halfslabs, now. ^_^

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:20 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:Fine, I'll just have to start the Snow Golem Liberation League.

My golems are well-nourished, and freed after a set period of time!

jestingrabbit wrote:I think I might have stolen someone's pick. I was in an abandoned mineshaft under the city plains, and happened upon a chest. It had a couple of obsidian in it and a nearly used up diamond pick with efficiency I. I took them, but looking up what can be found in mineshaft chests, it seems quite likely that I stole that from someone.

Anyway, I suspect its rirez's, so if you want to stop by fungus land and pick it up, that would be cool. That's, or course, assuming its someone's.

btw, the caves down there seem pretty extensive, with plenty of mineshafts around to get lost in.

Yeah, that would be mine from a long time ago. Feel free to take it! It was because the city portal landed down in the caves, and I had to destroy the old portal by breaking the obsidian. I was prepared to lose the pick, but I found a nearby chest and just stashed it there.

Feylias wrote:
Steax wrote:P.S. Gana, how many stacks do you get per pick run? I'm trying to figure out if stone or snow is more efficient at random builds. Resource-wise, stone will win if it can get over 18 stacks per diamond pick.
If you mean what I think you mean, I get 24 stacks of cobble and 25 change every time I wear out a diamond pick at my jenny. It's consistent.

I look forward to a vastly improved snowball collection session; I'll experiment with placing the snowman on halfslabs, now. ^_^

I see. It's still much better than snow.

... So we need a cobble jenny!

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:34 am UTC

I'm working on one, needlessly complex things take time to design, troubleshoot, test, redesign, 20 goto 10.

Opposing pistons still bug out occasionally, so I need to rebuild it again. This should be the last time.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:36 am UTC

I got the piston bugs a lot lately. It's weird.

Btw, bla, could you by any chance drop by the server in squid-mode?

Edit: Snowmen still tend to leave their enclosures. Then you see very... tell-tale signs.

2012-01-03_07.39.59.png
"But I parked it right THERE!"

scienceroboticspunk

Postby scienceroboticspunk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 am UTC

I made a simple snow generator using 1 water source, about 20 blocks of ones choosing. Then the materials to make a snow golem.
One should center the top and bottom blocks and put a roof over it. This works for me because the snowman is constantly putting new snow in the corner. I'm sorry I can't take a picture right now. Maybe this will help though.

b - block
w - water source
f - flowing
g - golem

top view
bb
bwfb
bfgb
bb
these are words
type, type, type

Xerillum

Postby Xerillum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:55 am UTC

Well, resource-wise stone is 7 stacks better than snow, but farming snowballs is quicker than AFKing at a cobble jenny for long periods of time. Snow also has the benefit of being easy to destroy, which is good for prototyping.

Also, I wonder if there could be an area for snow farming, so they don't escape. Somewhere like an island prison in the nether.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:14 am UTC

Steax wrote:I got the piston bugs a lot lately. It's weird.

Btw, bla, could you by any chance drop by the server in squid-mode?

Not tonight, my connection is misbehaving. Tommorow morning most likely. (Eight or ten hours from now, depending on when I get up.) PM me with what you need, and I'll see what I can do.

Steax wrote:Edit: Snowmen still tend to leave their enclosures. Then you see very... tell-tale signs.

2012-01-03_07.39.59.png

Darn sneaky snowmen covering thier tracks with snow to hide where they've been.

Manial

Postby Manial » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:59 am UTC

Could I be whitelisted on the server? I finally have time to get back into Minecraft, and multiplayer sounds like amazing fun now. My MC username is the same as my xkcd one, thanks.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

Manial wrote:Could I be whitelisted on the server? I finally have time to get back into Minecraft, and multiplayer sounds like amazing fun now. My MC username is the same as my xkcd one, thanks.

You are now whitelisted!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

Welcome to the server. Remember, Narnia is bestest Empire.

_infina_

Postby _infina_ » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

I just got a big fuck you from the server...I start xp farming, get up to level 9, got disconnected, and when I reconnected I was inside the farm, getting slain by a zombie. When I did a respawn, my bed was unavailable, and was shunted to spawn.
Spoiler:
keozen wrote:It took us exactly 3 pages to turn a discussion of a loved children's book series into smut...
TheGrammarBolshevik wrote:Only if your friends know what rhino dong smells like.

Malo mbwa mwitu

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

_infina_ wrote:I just got a big fuck you from the server...I start xp farming, get up to level 9, got disconnected, and when I reconnected I was inside the farm, getting slain by a zombie. When I did a respawn, my bed was unavailable, and was shunted to spawn.

But we love the server. The server is our friend. Do you need to spend time in room 101 again?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:01 am UTC

_infina_ wrote:I just got a big fuck you from the server...I start xp farming, get up to level 9, got disconnected, and when I reconnected I was inside the farm, getting slain by a zombie. When I did a respawn, my bed was unavailable, and was shunted to spawn.

Your bed was unavailable?

The problem with the restart height being a bit randomized is well known. I don't believe that anyone has any solution to offer for it.

blalobw
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby blalobw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:14 am UTC

There's a cobble jenny near Rirez's development shack, not far from the Pandoran capital's centerpoint. Let the current position you and aim so that you can break all three of the top smoothstone blocks.

I'm interested to know how close it is to the output from Gana's design, I've got it clocked faster than optimal to prevent cobble-lock.

Have Fun!

tHe_kiiD

Postby tHe_kiiD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:29 am UTC

were you using the skelly/zombie xp farm at Pandora? I found some mysterious xp and and drops when I logged in.

Return to “Gaming”