Minecraft

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

The Scyphozoa

Re: Minecraft

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 am UTC

When did they say that? When they said "don't look for seeds in 1.7 to use in 1.8", they meant that the same seed will generate vastly different worlds in each version. I think that actually implies that seeds ARE still useable in 1.8.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:26 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'd like to see a lot more world options as a whole. Something like a dialog box that pops up when you create a world, and has sliders sunny <-> stormy, water <-> land, and continents <-> archipelago, and radio buttons to select world height. Some way to play with the world generator a bit.

EDIT: Having played with alternate world generators, it can change the way the game plays quite dramatically. Sphereworld (can't remember the mod name) is pretty awesome, and makes resource gathering much different (ie, the easiest (only?) way to get flint was from the nether):

Spoiler:

Wait... if you can only get flint from the nether, how do you get flint and steel to activate the Portal?

Hmmmm...
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:29 am UTC

Put flammable stuff around the portal and light it with some lava, which is rather hit or miss but does seem to work.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:32 am UTC

Feylias wrote:
Windowlicker wrote:It seems to be raining on me fucking all the time. Could it have something to do with the fact that I turn it off with SPC every time it comes on? I don't know how rain is coded.

Seriously, I have 1400000 square meters to deforest, and it seems like Every. Fucking. Time I have just used half a flint and steel, the fucking rain starts up again.

I don't think I've seen four game-time days go by without rain...but I've seen rain happen twice in a three day period more often than I can count. RRgh.

When it happens I log out as fast as possible to try and preserve SOME of my flames. ...and log back in later. So if I do this and I haven't arranged for you to set it to nightfall and then sleep (which kills the rain), apologies for not saying goodbye.

Fuck rain. Once I'm done with Fiddler's Green I'm moving to a snowy climate.

I hate rain. It only adds a lot of lag. HAAAAAAAAATTTTEEE. I'll take creepers over rain.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 am UTC

Why is it so darn hard getting a dispenser to shoot arrows by placing a pressure plate in front of it? The mobs jump around and avoid getting hit, but if they move fast enough they don't get enough hits to die at all. I have a 10-meter long span of this conflagration and it fails to kill a zombie.

Using a redstone clock generator to trigger a flurry of dispensers seem to work, but the wiring... oh god.. the wiring...

RE: DIYcraft

Sure, anyone can make a minecraft clone. You can make a clone of any frikin game out there, throw in a few differences, and get away with it. Yes, sure, go ahead. Spend some time off your day job to make it. Then realize that nobody really wants it, because minecraft already has a huge following, has a huge userbase with plenty of mods, plugins and whatnot, and mojang already made a lot of money off it.

I scoff every time someone brings up "well you can make it, if you want!" Well sure, you can make a space shuttle if you were so inclined. It all sounds straightforward when you look at it (I call this the "easy application syndrome" - Jeff Atwood explains), but then grows in complexity, costs and messy little details (like marketing).
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

Meteorswarm

Postby Meteorswarm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:56 am UTC

Steax wrote:Using a redstone clock generator to trigger a flurry of dispensers seem to work, but the wiring... oh god.. the wiring...

How I would do it:

Bank of pressure plates, hooked together, and some delay circuitry to cover the length of a hop.

Also, pistons rock for circuitry now. They hold state across login-logout much, much better than solid-state circuitry.
The same as the old Meteorswarm, now with fewer posts!

big boss

Postby big boss » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:28 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnO1QZJ ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkGjIcV ... feature=iv

Check these 2 videos out, its worth your time. This guy made a computer that can play minecraft within mincraft. Albeit its in 2d and very primitive, but the "wiring" that went into it is very very impressive.
"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothing but the Rain."

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:38 am UTC

big boss wrote:Check these 2 videos out, its worth your time. This guy made a computer that can play minecraft within mincraft. Albeit its in 2d and very primitive, but the "wiring" that went into it is very very impressive.

... It's over. Somebody beat Minecraft. ._.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm UTC

And yet again, the map has been updated. :D

Have you seen the SIZE of ganalef's project?! (round 0, -3000)

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

Damn. Just, damn. Also, wow, that aircraft carrier went up quick.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:12 pm UTC

MrMonkey wrote:And yet again, the map has been updated. :D

I just LOVE new-map day! Thank you!

To be fair, my project--with the exception of the defoliation--is entirely 2D. Were it 3D, the part left to complete would just be a cube of cobble about 112 meters on a side.

The valuable aspect of intimately deforesting is that I find dungeons. I've dropped off a bunch of logs, saddles, and char-coals at the Communarium. ...and I've converted several spider dungeons into hazards for any explorer who finds them while traversing the soon-to-be Darklands hell.

As someone on screen just said, "Well It's not a good story unless the hero dies." ...at least, occasionally. I can picture MMO tactics being used to get through things like this (though I really like soloing.)

...alas, I had my render distance set to short temporarily to abate some fire-caused lag, and had wandered off the edge of my property. So, er, anyone approaching that area from the south may wish to beware of spiders. ^_^; Though I guess that'd only be a problem for someone who traveled at night or stumbled into holes without looking.

Um, is there a trick to reading the signs in the map? Sometimes I can, and most of the time I can't. ...and the signs are great for exploring-via-map and seeing whose project what is and what it does.

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:29 pm UTC

I Ganalef's project the big circle? Because the big circle is infinitely awesome. I've dubbed it Isengard in my mind.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 pm UTC

1st: I see mine minecart track is coming along.

2nd: No, Ganalef's project is the grid of cobble and the glass ceiling south (up and to the right, which is south) of the circle, and is much, much larger.

3rd: I understand why Ganalef needs a cobble generator.

CombustibleLemons

Postby CombustibleLemons » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:
MrMonkey wrote:And yet again, the map has been updated. :D

I just LOVE new-map day! Thank you!

To be fair, my project--with the exception of the defoliation--is entirely 2D. Were it 3D, the part left to complete would just be a cube of cobble about 112 meters on a side.

The valuable aspect of intimately deforesting is that I find dungeons. I've dropped off a bunch of logs, saddles, and char-coals at the Communarium. ...and I've converted several spider dungeons into hazards for any explorer who finds them while traversing the soon-to-be Darklands hell.

As someone on screen just said, "Well It's not a good story unless the hero dies." ...at least, occasionally. I can picture MMO tactics being used to get through things like this (though I really like soloing.)

...alas, I had my render distance set to short temporarily to abate some fire-caused lag, and had wandered off the edge of my property. So, er, anyone approaching that area from the south may wish to beware of spiders. ^_^; Though I guess that'd only be a problem for someone who traveled at night or stumbled into holes without looking.

Um, is there a trick to reading the signs in the map? Sometimes I can, and most of the time I can't. ...and the signs are great for exploring-via-map and seeing whose project what is and what it does.

how do you find dungens by burning forest?
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

Feylias wrote:Um, is there a trick to reading the signs in the map? Sometimes I can, and most of the time I can't. ...and the signs are great for exploring-via-map and seeing whose project what is and what it does.

Seems to be a bug with the mapping tool. Working on it...

RoberII wrote:I Ganalef's project the big circle? Because the big circle is infinitely awesome. I've dubbed it Isengard in my mind.

It's mine :D (TheMonkey1000). Ganalef is further to the top-right

EDIT: alright, switching to a more 'fundamental' version of the mapper. Signs will probably be fixed tomorrow.

Just discovered a cool feature! http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Tecto ... ting_Views .
Last edited by MrMonkey on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:51 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Looked at Ganalef's project a little while ago - it was all really cool, right up until I fell off of it :P

But I've now officially started building my house in the server. Should be fun!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:56 pm UTC

Ganalef:
You are mental.

Monkey:
It's awesome. Incidentially, my portal connects to your netherportal. If I build a chessboard between my base and yours, would you care for a neighbourly game of chess? Also, I like how your entire project is apparently centered around defying the very structure of minecraft.

Amish:

You finecomb the terrain, and find all the little holes, rather than running around willy-nilly I suppose.
IcedT wrote:Also, this raises the important question of whether or not dinosaurs were delicious.

I write poetry!

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:03 am UTC

RoberII wrote:Monkey:
It's awesome. Incidentially, my portal connects to your netherportal. If I build a chessboard between my base and yours, would you care for a neighbourly game of chess? Also, I like how your entire project is apparently centered around defying the very structure of minecraft.

Oh yeah, that reminds me - we need to board up the nether. SO MANY GHAST DEATHS...

Is there a sturdy see-through block?

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:18 am UTC

hm my platform in the sea is not there...
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:38 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:

Oh yeah, that reminds me - we need to board up the nether. SO MANY GHAST DEATHS...

ghasts can't see through glass. It may be a little difficult, but it's very possible to make a glass roof on the pathways. there are times when ghasts aren't around much,
could do it then.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:21 am UTC

Josephine wrote:
SirBryghtside wrote:

ghasts can't see through glass. It may be a little difficult, but it's very possible to make a glass roof on the pathways. there are times when ghasts aren't around much,
could do it then.

Ghasts aren't around, except when you're trying to build something in an unprotected area. I've done more than enough research on this. Also, fuck pigmen.

Though, when I ever get around to redoing the track out to Narnia South, I'll probably do a lot more glasswork.

I'm kind of sad we don't have the ability to have a nether map.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Steax » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:25 am UTC

You people are making me want to move to a country with better internet, just so I can play on that server. >=(
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

MrMonkey

Postby MrMonkey » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Signs! signs.. signs.. and everything else. bleh. Are not completely working. Apparently, it's something up with the google API. Will continue to search around for solutions. I've got a version that half works, will upload tomorrow.

RoberII wrote:It's awesome. Incidentially, my portal connects to your netherportal. If I build a chessboard between my base and yours, would you care for a neighbourly game of chess? Also, I like how your entire project is apparently centered around defying the very structure of minecraft.

I'd be up for that :)

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:26 am UTC

Amishdemon wrote:how do you find dungens by burning forest?
I have to walk to every tree (some more than once; burning trees has, apparently, a 70-ish percent chance of immolating them completely, or at least all but the stump. ...if it doesn't rain. I hate floating bits of trees*). ...so while I'm doing this, I'll either walk over desert and see the telltale indentation of a submerged square, or I'll be walking over dirt and hear monster groans or spider hisses en masse.

Using F3 is cheating, a bit, but I use it a lot by default just to keep my sky square (I want the grid to be exact, so I can eventually have it as a grid of 5x5 squares...and then pour water and lava, to kill grass and make cobble islands in ocean... ..and maybe some 15-25m cobble monoliths on land, also. For mood.)

So if I'm walking across grass in daylight and hear a bunch of spider hisses, I dig around until I find the source and then make it so the spiders can get out easily (after looting the mossy stone, in case someone needs it.)

I get lots of clay, also, because I see it while bridging across the sky and take screenshots of the coordinates. Pumpkins too, though we'll be able to plant those soon and my hoard will be irrelevant.

* I found some trees near spawn yesterday that were just floating tops. I had a bunch of logs, so I just rebuilt their trunks. If you harvest wood, please kill the whole tree! Or, just grab some wood from the communarium! I've put a whole bunch there!

mieulium

Postby mieulium » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:33 pm UTC

Was looking at the Enderman mob... and I think i might stop playing, I would get seriously freaked out.... Or wear a pumpkin the whole time.
Hi. This is Martha. She likes dull objects. She likes you too! Oh wait... I guess you'd better get some brain training on then.

"OBJECTION!"

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:12 pm UTC

Also, if you haven't done much on that fortress/cactus country rail line, it may be easier to run that out of Narnia. There's room for a more complex rail system there.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:08 pm UTC

FINALLY got started up on the server. Found a zombie dungeon, and got a green music disc!

If anyone wants it, I'd happily give it to them :) Not like I can use it...

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:37 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:FINALLY got started up on the server. Found a zombie dungeon, and got a green music disc!

If anyone wants it, I'd happily give it to them :) Not like I can use it...

You could drop it off at Narnia. Though, I already have one, but if you want to play it, there's a jukebox there on the dance floor.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:FINALLY got started up on the server. Found a zombie dungeon, and got a green music disc! If anyone wants it, I'd happily give it to them :) Not like I can use it...

Er, why can't you use it? Because you don't have any diamonds yet with which to make a music box? I think there are some in the communarium, and if there aren't, and you don't find any soon, I'll give you one of mine next time you're on. Many of the people on the server have far more diamonds than they need. ...I rather expect to need many of mine (I burned through seven diamond picks today) but I doubt you'll have trouble getting some.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious. This is because I usually am. ^_^

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

Yeah, it was because I was missing diamonds - thanks, I'll check the communarium :)

I also want to set up a trap with sticky pistons, so I'll check for slimeballs.

RoberII

Postby RoberII » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

MrMonkey wrote:
RoberII wrote:It's awesome. Incidentially, my portal connects to your netherportal. If I build a chessboard between my base and yours, would you care for a neighbourly game of chess? Also, I like how your entire project is apparently centered around defying the very structure of minecraft.

I'd be up for that :)

Building has begun, and I took the liberty of taking some of your wool and ink when I came through your house. Hope you don't mind.

I write poetry!

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:55 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Yeah, it was because I was missing diamonds - thanks, I'll check the communarium :)

I also want to set up a trap with sticky pistons, so I'll check for slimeballs.

Hey man, you want diamonds and sticky pistons. *Opens jacket slightly* They "fell off a truck." But you can trust me, I'm currently Morgan Freeman.

Kain

Postby Kain » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 am UTC

So, I decided to remove all lighting from my lighthouse (as well as stripping off the lapis and etc) to give it an abandoned feel. I also removed the ladders for safety. I am one step closer to my post 1.8 migration!
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:57 am UTC

Grabbed 4 diamond and 2 slimeballs from the communarium, and made a Zombie Masher!

Basically, Zombies can only span in this two-block high area, which has a stone pressure plate inside. Once the pressure plate is hit, a piece of cobble powered by a sticky piston comes out of the wall and chokes it to death.

The only thing that isn't too great is collection - you press a lever to go down next to the area, and press it again to go up - but that's the problem with using pressure plates.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

I'm working on putting together a much safer nether rail system, with less pigmen on the tracks. I could, however, use a significantly larger amount of gravel.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

Magnanimous wrote:
big boss wrote:Check these 2 videos out, its worth your time. This guy made a computer that can play minecraft within mincraft. Albeit its in 2d and very primitive, but the "wiring" that went into it is very very impressive.

... It's over. Somebody beat Minecraft. ._.

No, the next step is to build a computer in Minecraft that can run Minecraft, then in the simulated Minecraft build a computer than can run Minecraft.

Feylias

Postby Feylias » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:I'm working on putting together a much safer nether rail system, with less pigmen on the tracks. I could, however, use a significantly larger amount of gravel.

It just occurred to me; if you make a minecart rail that is standard Steve-size (1m wide, 2m tall) in cross-section, but you line the upper wall with signs and make the roof an occasional glowstone, I don't think pigmen will be *able* to spawn since the sign takes up the space where their head would go. Also, I think if the ceiling is made of glass, then people won't suffocate in it when they stand up.

Edit: My gravel has been added to the now-full double chest in the communarium. I've also added a sign to the portal in the Nether that goes there.

Really, ALL portals in the Nether should have signs.
Last edited by Feylias on Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Well, if my current plan doesn't work, I'll do that. The one really annoying thing is that I can't cannibalize my old rail yet because I still need it to get back and forth. So there's a thousand meters worth of rail tied up...

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:55 pm UTC

Alright, so: South-east of that big lava-ring-thing, there's a big square, with a big square building. It looks like there's three layers of squares, with water running between some. Anyone know what's going on there? It looks really interesting.

Roosevelt
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Postby Roosevelt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:44 pm UTC

I reckon that would be Blalobw's maximum efficiency mobtower (TM).

Return to “Gaming”