Playing GTA a little differently

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vanguard

Playing GTA a little differently

Postby Vanguard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

A game topic of a slightly odd sort.

I will probably be getting back into GTA: Vice City/San Andreas soonish.
One of my favorite things to do in both of those earlierish GTA games include two specific cheats.
First, I put in a cheat that gives all pedestrians weapons. Varies from knives to rocket launchers.
Then, I make all drivers drive aggressively (San Andreas only for this one, I believe).
Finally, I activate the actual riot. Civilians and everyone go immediately batshit insane and start shooting each other, and me.
This of course raises a wanted level, but I actually observe more than fight. And when I have to, I keep the "Wanted Level Down" cheat handy.

I actually wrote a fanfic on this, based in San Andreas with CJ after becoming a cop (I play the game slightly differently, haha). And then everyone goes nuts due to an unknown virus where only cops are immune. It was an interesting survival story, I never explained the virus, or how numerous citizens got their hands on M16's (I titled the story "M16's for Everyone!", a zany and probably controversial reference to one of the famous school shootings, where the shooter had a flash video on Newgrounds titled that). Whether or not it's a TASTELESS reference, is up to you as the individual.

Either way, I should probably whip it out again and edit/fix it up.

But yea, good times.

Just wanted to see some input or other funny stories about playing games a little differently than originally intended.

Jebobek

Re: Playing GTA a little differently

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:14 pm UTC

I flew tanks on GTA3.

I put on the Low Gravity / Flying cars cheat, or whatever it was. The way the physics worked was that as you went faster, you got lift. Cop cars chasing you at an incredibly fast speed were likely to be airborne on-screen and flying into buildings.

I find a tank and rotate the gun to point behind me. The cannon physics pushes the tank in the opposite direction. So by firing shells behind the tank you can increase the speed of the tank until it becomes airborne. I'd regulate the speed of firing so that the tank does not flip over. By slightly shifting where i'm aiming, I can turn the tank in the direction I want.

I took satisfaction flying over the barriers preventing you from accessing the 2nd and 3rd portions of the city. That and doing fly-by squishing.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:16 pm UTC

Nice... I'm gonna write down the flying cars cheat now.
I tried it before, but never with any decent results.

OO OOO OO, I remember another game.

Max Wanted level. Whetstone (second place you unlock in SA).

"Dodge The Tank Rolling Down The Mountain"

Fucking INTENSE.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

On PC, in either vice city or GTA3, the explode all cars cheat is BANGBANGBANG

Meaning if you type bang fast enough, the explosions turn all cars into rockets. Don't stand too close.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Dropzone

Postby Dropzone » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:Finally, I activate the actual riot. Civilians and everyone go immediately batshit insane and start shooting each other, and me.
The best thing about this is that the normally non-violent pedestrian types actually have spoken dialogue lines for shooting, carjacking etc., which you can only ever hear by using this cheat. Stuff like the secretary-ish women in VC's downtown yelling "I'm gonna shove you down the garbage disposal head first!" in a squeaky voice as they fire their Uzi at you...

Toeofdoom wrote:On PC, in either vice city or GTA3, the explode all cars cheat is BANGBANGBANG

Meaning if you type bang fast enough, the explosions turn all cars into rockets. Don't stand too close.
It works even better if you use a trainer, or alternatively something like AutoHotkey, to bind the cheat to a hotkey. Then all you have to do is hold the key down, and...
Spoiler:
Liftoff.png
Liftoff.png (158.61 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Similarly: bind PANZER (spawn a tank) to a hotkey, stand in one place, hold the key down, TANK FOUNTAIN! The game will crash if you hold it for too long, though.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:52 am UTC

I want to play the Lucky Star/Touhou mod for GTA...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

Ah, GTA 3. I don't know how many hours i played that game...one of my favourite things to do was the following:

Find a vehicle, any vehicle although certain are better suited, such as flatbeds. Jump on top of the vehicle, and fire a shot at it. Hopefully the driver will freak out, and start driving like a madman. Depending on the car you might wanna pop a few wheels as well, if it goes too fast it's easy to fall off. Now just enjoy the ride, taking pot shots at nearby pedestrians, cars, police officers and what have you. I noticed sadly that this doesn't work on GTA4, you can't stand on top of a speeding vehicle... oh well. Still seems like pretty sweet game, might have to get myself a ps3 sometime, or upgrade my computer.
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:03 pm UTC

FearoftheDomo-Kun wrote:Ah, GTA 3. I don't know how many hours i played that game...one of my favourite things to do was the following:

Find a vehicle, any vehicle although certain are better suited, such as flatbeds. Jump on top of the vehicle, and fire a shot at it. Hopefully the driver will freak out, and start driving like a madman. Depending on the car you might wanna pop a few wheels as well, if it goes too fast it's easy to fall off. Now just enjoy the ride, taking pot shots at nearby pedestrians, cars, police officers and what have you. I noticed sadly that this doesn't work on GTA4, you can't stand on top of a speeding vehicle... oh well. Still seems like pretty sweet game, might have to get myself a ps3 sometime, or upgrade my computer.

Oh me yarm I did this too xD Works better in Vice City and it falls kinda flat in San Andreas but it can be done (The crouch-movement controls work differently).

Takes the phrase "Drive-by" to a whole 'nother, odd level.

wst

Postby wst » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:25 pm UTC

Pickups were best for that, I found :)

I used to do the 'peds riot' cheat on SA and then I used to see how far I could get. I'd have an M4 and a sniper rifle, and dodge the rpg shots. Once I got out onto a motorway I was generally safe, but stealing cars was made fun, because you didn't know if the driver had an rpg or something weaker... I first found out about the peds having rpgs thing when I did that cheat and tried to use a hydra to kill people by hovering really low... I didn't know what hit me :o
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

Manial

Postby Manial » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:18 am UTC

I used to enjoy playing Vice City like real life, keeping within the speed limits, stopping for lights, respecting the law... it's suprisingly difficult.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:18 pm UTC

Yea, that pickup truck trick was awesome. They would FLIP THE EFF OUT and drive a million miles per hour. I think the designers had in mind them drive away to despawn, so it didn't matter if a pickup truck suddenly performed like a ferrari.

wst

Postby wst » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:I think the designers had in mind them drive away to despawn, so it didn't matter if a pickup truck suddenly performed like a ferrari.
On my xbox with slightly dead ram (so the draw distance for moving things is lowered artificially), cars go along, disappear, and even if I drive really quickly to catch where the car should be, it's gone forever.

Once on driver 2, I bumped a car, then followed it around Chicago. Eventually it turned right and drove into a wall between 2 houses (not a driveway though :/ ), then stopped completely. I guess it couldn't handle being followed :P
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

FearoftheDomo-Kun

Postby FearoftheDomo-Kun » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Vanguard wrote:
FearoftheDomo-Kun wrote:Ah, GTA 3. I don't know how many hours i played that game...one of my favourite things to do was the following:

Oh me yarm I did this too xD Works better in Vice City and it falls kinda flat in San Andreas but it can be done (The crouch-movement controls work differently).

Takes the phrase "Drive-by" to a whole 'nother, odd level.

I did it quite a bit on San andreas too, especially in las venturas on the freeways. The un-scoped rifle was my weapon of choice, picking off tires on other cars or policemen in pursuit. Also fun was exploiting the way the physics engine handled weapons such as the RPG and satchel charges. If you're standing on a car going really fast, and you fire an RPG straight ahead, you can hit yourself with the RPG depending on the velocity of the car you're standing on. Tossing satchel charges with full force straight ahead (or grenades, molotovs etc) ended up with them practically dropping straight down, perfect for dispensing of pesky policepeople in pursuit!:D
So glad to meet you, Angeles

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:09 pm UTC

Teehee.

Been dabbling in some San Andreas. Fun as -hell- with my originally posted cheats. But I need to be patient and unlock a couple islands before I do this.
(I had previously deleted my saved games because I was clearing up memory card space)

sparks

Postby sparks » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

On GTA Vice City, it took me ages to actually unlock the second island because I kept getting distracted by stuff like this. One of my favourite things to do in that game was to get Tomy to the mall, then use the level 3 all-weapon cheat, and have him stand on those ledges/on the roof of the ground floor stands (basically, on the second floor, those "bridge" thingies help you jump to those) and just tossing grenades or snipering everyone nearby. This caused a huge mayhem in the mall and increased my wanted level, but at least on the PS2 game, for some reason the cops can't chase you in high places or places you have to jump to get to (like the stunt ramps, if you climb them, they can't follow). Also on the lighthouse, though that had a more limited scope in terms of targets because of the balcony.

I would also keep the "wanted level" cheat handy, and drive to the beach, where I would find people and rob them. This and the taxi mission helped me buy that really expensive condo with two garages.

The motorcycles + the armor cheat AND the healing cheat, because if you activate the latter while on a vehicle, it will repare the damage, so I would do the craziest stunts without dying or having to find a new bike, it rocked.

The taxi mission because I used to be a Crazy Taxi addict back in the day.

Stealing buses full of people (sometimes you see coaches) and jumping at low speed from a ramp, and then jumping off before it hit the water.

My sister once made it her personal mission to kill everyone with a zebra patterned dress.
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:44 am UTC

No running in Mario Bros.

Very, very frustrating sometimes. I know you can't beat SMB1 without running or level skipping, as well.

dasada122

Postby dasada122 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:58 am UTC

I play Oblivion with an adventuring party, using a mod I can't recall the name of at the moment.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Probably "Companion Share & Recruit" or "Toaster Says Share" - same mod with 2 names.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

cowsinthongs

Postby cowsinthongs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:32 am UTC

Wow...I never knew other ppl did the pick up thing too. :P How long did you guys manage to stay on? My record was 4 stars and ~10 minutes when the driver ran out (nailed him for running obviously).

@ OP I liked doing that too but it was funner to provoke a cop into accidentally hitting civilians then watching to see how many civilians the cop would take down. Doesn't work in Vice City but it did in Liberty City for me (PSP).
Mooo. That's about as witty as I'll ever be. x)

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:34 am UTC

cowsinthongs wrote:Wow...I never knew other ppl did the pick up thing too. :P How long did you guys manage to stay on? My record was 4 stars and ~10 minutes when the driver ran out (nailed him for running obviously).

I've gone for 10-15 minutes in GTA4 just randomly driving with a high wanted level. It's a fun "survival" mode for me, see how long it takes for cops to take me down... and I purposely stay in the Wanted radius.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 am UTC

I used to spawn a helicopter ad fly up as high as possible, then jump out and use the spawn parachute cheat on the way down. Had to be quick on the Buttons, or else...SPLAT!
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:29 pm UTC

Carlington (The Aussie) wrote:I used to spawn a helicopter ad fly up as high as possible, then jump out and use the spawn parachute cheat on the way down. Had to be quick on the Buttons, or else...SPLAT!

I do that off the mountain. But, it's pretty much the same everytime.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:52 pm UTC

That reminds me of the game State of Emergency. Which was awesome.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Munzapoppa

Postby Munzapoppa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:07 am UTC

Manial wrote:I used to enjoy playing Vice City like real life, keeping within the speed limits, stopping for lights, respecting the law... it's suprisingly difficult.

Yeah, I've tried to do that at times too, but destruction is too addicting.

One thing that's a lot of fun for me to do in GTA:Vice City Stories is getting up to a 3 star wanted level (which is when the police start using helicopters), getting the armed helicopter (I think it's called a Little Willy) that's on top of the hotel savepoint on the second island, flying out over the ocean, and then start shooting police helicopters down one by one :twisted:.

I also like to have epic police chases, and I've had a few that have lasted nearly an hour.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 am UTC

Wrote a fanfiction based off this playstyle; (warning; very long. 4100~ words total)
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Van ... veryone.21
Was going to post it here, but there's no writing section that I could find.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:43 am UTC

Vanguard wrote:Wrote a fanfiction based off this playstyle; (warning; very long. 4100~ words total)
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/User:Van ... veryone.21
Was going to post it here, but there's no writing section that I could find.

viewforum.php?f=4
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:30 pm UTC

Me and a few friends once played Team Fortress 2 while roleplaying in the map "Well". Basically the other team were a group of Islamic terrorists trying to capture a major train station in some middle eastern country (they were Demomen and Engineers that threw pipebombs and built Sentries everywhere). Meanwhile my team were a group of elite assasins sent to kill them (We were Snipers and Spies)
It turned out quite fun until a bunch of people who had no idea what we were doing joined my team and accused us of being racist. It went to Hell afterwards but It was fun until then.
Signatures are for chumps.

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm UTC

i play sorta a DiD game in GTA 4

Setup - beat the game, buy no clothing other than what you need to beat the story, do no side/friend or man on the street missions until you have beaten the game. loose all your money and weapons, the fastest way is to buy the sniper rifles one after the other when you have no more money get arrested. it sucks and is the hardest part of setup.

The game - if you die, you have to re-load a previous save if you get arrested you have to continue with the loss. you can only save or even enter a safe house if you are full health and have 0 stars. you can only run from the cops when you have as many stars as digits in your bank, so from $0 - 9 you can run when you have 1 star, $10-99 you can run when you have 2 stars, $100-999 3 stars ect, you cant attempt to flee the cop search area until you have x stars. you can however move around to find cover as long as your not actively fleeing. you can steal any car, but MUST steal it while you have x stars, you can only save cop vehicles in your parking spaces. you cannot use any found weapons or items. you cannot use a safe house to get rid of stars. you can use any friend ability include Kiki's, but first you have to woo them into giving you said abilities (if you did the set up right, you have no friend abilities at end game as you have not done any hanging out) the objective is to make as much money as possible. You can do any missions from friends, such as stealing cars, running drugs, assassinations ect. you can do any man on the street missions and police missions* as well. if you are doing a mission and get a star you cant leave the radius until you have x stars even if it means failing the mission. if you can complete the mission inside the current police radius you may and get rid of the one star that way without getting x stars. you cannot slowly move the police radius until it leads to your mission that's cheating and shame on you. you can also just rob random pedestrians but it's the slowest way to make money.

this is close to the game i would rather play, an open world crime sim where you build a criminal empire by doing things from strong arm robbery and car theft all the way to extortion and fixed casinos! no structured missions, just do what you can to make money. but alas that game is not in existence.

* the random crime ones are way to easy especially the suspect on foot ones, and i am thinking of limiting this to only the most wanted missions.

P.S. bonus points for having a high "times Laid" stat
Last edited by Mactabilis on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:22 pm UTC

The only way the above could work if you just hunted down drug dealers. They carry $2000 each. Woops, you're talking about GTA4.
And I generally play untill the entire island/state(SA) is unlocked and I sandbox/freeform/roleplay from there. But SA has got me on a chokehold right now, trying to learn how to fly. I can GET to Las Venturas, but I can't save... which makes roleplaying a bit harder (Well, at least, if I wanted to start from LV.)
Last edited by Vanguard on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mactabilis

Postby Mactabilis » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:23 pm UTC

GTA 4 not SA. it works well.

Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

Mactabilis wrote:GTA 4 not SA. it works well.

Yea, just crossed it out.

Return to “Gaming”