Prototype

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Re: Prototype

Postby Ati » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm UTC

My brother got this game, and beat it after playing it during every spare moment for two days. It looks a bit mindless, but a lot of fun regardless.
I can kill you with my brain.

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:25 pm UTC

Ati wrote:My brother got this game, and beat it after playing it during every spare moment for two days. It looks a bit mindless, but a lot of fun regardless.

The storyline? Or all events cleared as well?

I do still feel a bit sorry for the civilians. I try not to kill them when I don't need to. The infected or soldiers think differently about that. I also have some reservations about killing the Marines, because they don't really have an idea what's going on. I don't mind killing Infected though and I don't have any qualms about killing Blackwatch either. Well, I'm still doing pretty good, with about 3500 military casualties, 5000 infected eliminated and only 300 civilians killed.

Just wondering about the last few missions:
Spoiler:
Has Captain Cross been infected from the start? Was he Elizabeth Greene's baby? Or was he consumed by whatever Elizabeth coughed up when you injected her?

And what the hell happened to Dana?

Also, I liked actually being able to influence how much of the city is infected. At one point, I got a "Day 6, 81% of general population infected" or something similar. After some serious hyve-busting, the next one I got was along the lines of "Day 9, 60% of general population infected"

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure those numbers are fixed. It just goes down for some strange reason at one point.

As for the story, it's certainly not the greatest story ever, but there have been far, far worse in games.

Spoiler:
Yeah, I'm not sure on Cross either. The opinion I formed was that he was PARIAH, but I'm still missing about a third of the web of intrigue, so I may be missing some information that makes things a little more clear.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 pm UTC

If by events you mean "run to the top of this building in under 10 seconds" then I will gladly not touch any events.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

psion

Postby psion » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:03 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Also, it's New York City. I doubt many of the people noticed something was up, beyond the bridges being closed.

It's just Manhattan, a large percentage of people commute from other boroughs or are simply visiting. I can see riots break out over just a few days due to the quarantine alone, not even to mention infected or blackwatch. Within a week no one would be casually walking down the street, and definitely no one would be driving anywhere. There'd probably be large congregations of people outside cafes with people trying to figure out what's going on, and the less sane people pillaging everything they can. That doesn't sound quite as fun though.

I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anything about the several Gamestop ads. I guess it's subtle enough, but people tend to jump on that.

erebfaer

Postby erebfaer » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:31 am UTC

So far I am finding this incredibly enjoyable but mindless destruction can get boring very quickly.
So far the most enjoyable thing to do is put on Sheild and run through crowds, hitting the occasional lamp post for the lovely sound. Also, suddenly dropping from a huge distance, landing right next to someone and then eating them. Brilliant.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:58 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:If by events you mean "run to the top of this building in under 10 seconds" then I will gladly not touch any events.

There are something like 10 different sorts of event. One of them is 'run through all these waypoints in X seconds', yes, then there are 'consume the marked targets in X seconds', 'kill X enemies in Y seconds using Z power', 'jump from the top of this building and land within X metres of a target', 'destroy the marked base/hive', 'help mutants/military eliminate the military/mutants in an area in X seconds', and some other stuff I've forgotten. You get decent amounts of experience for doing some of them and they're probably what will add the most replay/life-extension value to the game once you've done the main story.

The running ones really hone your movement skills too, if you're trying for the gold (or platinum) medals.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

psion wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Also, it's New York City. I doubt many of the people noticed something was up, beyond the bridges being closed.
It's just Manhattan, a large percentage of people commute from other boroughs blah blah blah realistic stuff that completely ruins the unflappable New Yorker joke.
Well.. yeah, but......
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:19 pm UTC

Adacore wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:If by events you mean "run to the top of this building in under 10 seconds" then I will gladly not touch any events.

There are something like 10 different sorts of event. One of them is 'run through all these waypoints in X seconds', yes, then there are 'consume the marked targets in X seconds', 'kill X enemies in Y seconds using Z power', 'jump from the top of this building and land within X metres of a target', 'destroy the marked base/hive', 'help mutants/military eliminate the military/mutants in an area in X seconds', and some other stuff I've forgotten. You get decent amounts of experience for doing some of them and they're probably what will add the most replay/life-extension value to the game once you've done the main story.

The running ones really hone your movement skills too, if you're trying for the gold (or platinum) medals.

Dude. I can morph my hands into living weapons, run along the walls of buildings, sprint entire city blocks in a matter of moments, glide from building top to building top, absorb human beings, memory and all, and then assume their form (down to the things they had on them at the time!) and you mean to tell me I should be interested in obstacle courses? I've got shit to attend to man.

Sand Box games are fun, but I wish they would take off these ridiculous medal awarding minigames that only detract from the experience at large. It's really just a lame, quick and dirty excuse for developers to add another few hours of contentless content. Now, a 10 hr game can be called a 20 hour game, because lo!, how can you call it a complete experience if you didn't place Gold in every 'recover little child's lost puppy and bring it back, then absorb their happy memories' race?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:'recover little child's lost puppy and bring it back, then absorb their happy memories' race?

Dude, that sounds awesome!

Kaeyn

Prototype Advice

Postby Kaeyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:14 pm UTC

Okay, here's the rundown.
My brother is gonna be coming back home soon, and I want to choose a game for him to buy for me (he'd be buying R18 games, as I'm only 16). He wants me to buy the game Prototype for the 360. I'm not keen on doing so, as to me it looks as though it's going to be following the Mortal Kombat style of over the top gratuitous violence, which I hate. I would much rather get him to buy me GTA4, as I have already played some of that and liked it. However, he's telling me that Prototype has been criticized as one of the best games to come out in the last five years.

Firstly, is what he's been telling me about the game's popularity true?
Second, considering my dislikes, is Prototype worth getting?

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:14 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Image

It's oh-so-tempting, sitting there on steam, mocking me... I just wonder how long I would have to wait for the price tag to decrease.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:20 am UTC

You haven't really answered either of my questions... :twisted:

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:24 am UTC

Well, we can't really answer your first one. You didn't tell us what he said about the popularity of the game. As for the second one: The only other games I have that could even be considered ultraviolent are the Dawn of War games. But Warhammer 40k is built on being excessively...uh...excessive.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Well, my level of unlikable excessiveness is the Mortal Kombat games and above, as I said before. Ripping people's hearts out with stupid unrealistic squelching noises and bucketloads of blood that looks like jam is repulsive to me. Anyway, my brother said that Prototype has been called one of the best games to be released in the last five years, AS I SAID BEFORE. I've looked on Wiki and seen that's it's only received average ratings from everything. Either he's lying, or he's heard from someone who likes that sort of thing that it's good.

I've also read about the story, and I think it's rubbish.

Now, if someone takes into consideration that I don't like pointless violence, and I don't like the plot, but haven't actually played the game yet, should I buy the game or should I tell my brother to piss off?

psion

Postby psion » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:43 am UTC

I can't say he was lying, as anyone can say anything, but I'd disagree nonetheless. The crazy shit you can do in the game makes it what it is. The missions, side missions, story, and general content is all pretty poor. Even the combat can be pretty frustrating in lieu of difficulty. The novelty of karate kicking a helicopter for instance, though, makes it all worthwhile.
The gore didn't bug me at all, so I can't really say, but my girlfriend saw me consume someone (something you do often) and murmured an "eww." Just watch this to decide.

Kaeyn

Postby Kaeyn » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:35 am UTC

Right. Thanks for that. After watching that vid, I refuse to buy Prototype. Simple as that.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:59 am UTC

That vid looked kind of confusing. Nevertheless, I'm going to buy it right now. :D

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:36 pm UTC

Why does everyone keep calling this game difficult :|

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:03 pm UTC

So. Cool stuff. Havn't got very far, obviously, but it's fun. Annoys me how the controls and everything are obviously ported from the consoles and a bit wonky, but otherwise it's fun.
Also lots of in-game advertizing. What's up with that?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Also lots of in-game advertizing. What's up with that?

Helps defray the costs of development. In any case, this is one of those times where it doesn't bother me because real New York has advertisements all over the place. It's not like you're on a spaceship with Coke ads all over the place.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

But the game costs the same as everything else, so...

Anyhow. I've just forced myself to quit after 6 straight hours of play. Holy shit.

... I wish I knew how to get achivements for my computer version.

Can someone tell me how trigger work the patsy move? I fail at it. (Yes I press the key for it, but it doesn't happen. And I'm in a military form and I'm doing it to a soldier)

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:19 am UTC

Kaeyn wrote:Right. Thanks for that. After watching that vid, I refuse to buy Prototype. Simple as that.

I respect your decision to not buy Prototype.

...ya pansy.

Phen wrote:Can someone tell me how trigger work the patsy move? I fail at it. (Yes I press the key for it, but it doesn't happen. And I'm in a military form and I'm doing it to a soldier)

Perhaps you're not close enough to the enemy. Without the Patsy Range Boost upgrade, you need to be really close for it to work.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:22 am UTC

Phen wrote:... I wish I knew how to get achivements for my computer version.

Unfortunately, you can't. :(

(I am totally an achievement whore)

FoS

Postby FoS » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:25 am UTC

I'm pretty close to the end now and I've really enjoyed this game for a bit of mindless carnage when I need to relax.
I'm tempted to stop following the missions and try finish the web of intrigue to unlock the whole story.

Lets hope there's an easter egg for doing it.
"...working as intended"
Oomkin Druid - Sylvanas EU

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

Man...how fucked up is this world where GTA is seen as not having "over the top gratuitous violence"

That being said, while I'm on my way to the various missions I like to pretend that I'm a demon cast down from heaven. My mission? Purge the human race of evil. Which mainly involves me grabbing business men, climbing the tallest building I can find and then throwing them off of it.

Also, pedestrian bowling is quite fun.

What a horrible horrible game, don't let your children play it.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:55 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Phen wrote:... I wish I knew how to get achivements for my computer version.

Unfortunately, you can't. :(

(I am totally an achievement whore)

I've just settled for pretending to get them. Most of the achivements are nothing special anyway, but the game tracks enough statistics that I'll be able to tell when I've killed enough infected.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:44 pm UTC

Phen wrote:But the game costs the same as everything else, so...

Developing games is expensive. $20 million is roughly average for a top-tier game in 2009. Even assuming that 100% of the sale cost goes to the publisher, they still need to sell 333k copies at $60 just to break even. Obviously, that is a bad assumption. Selling adspace helps defray this.

Of course, it only really bothers me when it's out of place. Pepsi ads in Mass Effect would bother me. Pepsi ads in a game set in New York, not so much.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:20 pm UTC

I really don't know how you're supposed to fight multiple super soldiers without the air blade thing. It just doesn't seem fair. And the quicktime event to get out of their grabs is kinda strange. Sometimes I hit the right button but still get thrown/slammed. Other times it looks like I'll hit a wrong button first and then quickly press the right one, and I escape. Stupid super soldiers. Its a good thing they're easy to kill with helicopters.

SciJo

Postby SciJo » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 am UTC

Chen wrote:I really don't know how you're supposed to fight multiple super soldiers without the air blade thing. It just doesn't seem fair.

The whip arm does wonders. Especially if you have the street sweeper upgrade.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 am UTC

crucialityfactor wrote:Man...how fucked up is this world where GTA is seen as not having "over the top gratuitous violence"

That being said, while I'm on my way to the various missions I like to pretend that I'm a demon cast down from heaven. My mission? Purge the human race of evil. Which mainly involves me grabbing business men, climbing the tallest building I can find and then throwing them off of it.
I think level of "gore" as it were is the bigger issue for myself than violence. I find it hard to be disgusted in a video game where there is little in the way of detail, sure, you can cut someone in half, but it's just a red blob on the end of the torso. :P I'm not saying it's not violent, but I'm squeamish and I don't mind it. I'd be more worried about kids watch the average 'violent' movie than playing this game. Come back in a few years once they have the processing power to having internal organs realistically spill out of every person's torso and I might feel differently.

Incidentally, I'm totally taking a few people to the highest skyscrapers in the city now... 8)

InfamousAnarchist

Postby InfamousAnarchist » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:48 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
psion wrote:
ArgonV wrote:There's more strange stuff. Manhattan has been cordoned of from the rest of the world, the military and zombies are fighting in the streets, there's an aircraft carrier in the Hudson, and yet people are still strolling around the streets, even in infected zones :P
I thought exactly the same, but you know, it's far more fun that way.
Also, it's New York City. I doubt many of the people noticed something was up, beyond the bridges being closed.

QFT.
But because we like content, I think the overall game is probably enhanced by having people. It would feel weird with just zombies and military.

How big is the area in which you can run around? I can guess "Manhattan", but is it pretty much Really Big or Awfully Small Big?
sever every leg
amanda palmer please come home please

PenguinLord

Postby PenguinLord » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

How big is the area in which you can run around? I can guess "Manhattan", but is it pretty much Really Big or Awfully Small Big?

It's pretty big, basically a scale model of Manhattan. At times it can seem small because of how incredibly fast you can run and jump though. Anyways I love this game, i was afraid the gore and killing would get repetitive after awhile, but it just doesn't! :mrgreen:

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:45 pm UTC

InfamousAnarchist wrote:How big is the area in which you can run around? I can guess "Manhattan", but is it pretty much Really Big or Awfully Small Big?
Quite large. It seems smaller once you get all your movement upgrades maxed out, but even still it takes several minutes to full out sprint from one end of the city to the other. It takes a bit longer if you decide to cause a few billion in damage before you get to the other end. :mrgreen:

psion

Postby psion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:42 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Of course, it only really bothers me when it's out of place. Pepsi ads in Mass Effect would bother me. Pepsi ads in a game set in New York, not so much.

But it's Gamestop ads ontop of skyscrapers, a fearful message equivalent to seeing Pepsi ads in Mass Effect (Pepsi is still around 174 years from now? *gasp*).

LTK

Postby LTK » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:18 am UTC

Sorry for taking this thread all the way from page three, but I really wanted to discuss this game with people who I know are not youtube-grade commenters. Seriously, every Prototype forum I've been to has people acting rude and/or stupid. Maybe it's the genre...

Well, anyway, massive story spoilers starting about here. Not spoiler yet: I thought the story was really great. I mean...

Spoiler:
The irony. A man wakes up in a morgue, finds out he has monster powers, and wants to find out who is responsible for turning him into a freak. He consumes and remembers, and the story unfolds.

Decades ago, the military set up a town called Hope, Idaho, to experiment with a new type of virus to use on specific racial types. Of course, the virus mutates into something very contagious and very deadly, and the whole population falls victim to it. Blackwatch decides to erase Hope from the map by killing everyone in it, but there's one thing out of place: Elizabeth Greene, a pregnant young woman who has assimilated the virus in her body and is producing new strains of it. An officer named Randall decides to take her away for continued research. Responsible number one: General Randall.

On the basis of the study to Elizabeth Greene and her child, GENTEK was founded. The director, McMullen, wants to continue research with the goal of producing biological weapons, as was the first goal of Blackwatch. Responsible number two: McMullen.

When Greene is found inside the GENTEK building, she escapes and starts spreading the virus in large quantities in the city. She creates and releases Hunters, terrorising everyone and everything. Responsible number three: Elizabeth Greene.

And finally, after a long search through countless memories, the truth about the man who started it is revealed: He was Alex Mercer, an employee at GENTEK, working on the virus that came from Greene's body, and with the specific goal of weaponising it. When the project was in danger of being shut down and everyone who worked on it was being liquidated, Mercer fled and took a sample of the virus as insurance against Blackwatch. His plan failed, and in a final, panicked move, he broke the vial and unleashed the virus. Alex Mercer was then shot to death by Blackwatch. The virus, however, found Alex's body and assimilated it, consumed it. The body of Alex Mercer became the body of the virus.

How incredible is that? In his quest for knowledge of what happened to him, and for revenge on those responsible, it became clear that ultimately, finally, the one person responsible for his fate, was the man that he himself once was. The man created a monster, and the monster became the man. That's genius.

(What is in the spoiler is the general direction of the main plot in Prototype, if you're curious.)

You might have noticed that in this story, there are no heroes. There are no good guys. Everyone's actions can be condemned. But there are no villans either. There is no one that can be called the big bad guy. Everyone's actions can be justified. Usually, I don't like stories with unhappy endings. They make the story feel unsatisfactory, and that it might as well not have been told. Not with this. There are no happy endings possible, and that makes me feel satisfied with the story.

(End 3 am musings)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

So... in the course of the game, there's a mission. A "Defend the Zone" mission. Now, thankfully, for the *most* part, the Army ignores me during this, otherwise I don't know how the fuck I'd do it...

As is, I'm defending a thing...
Spoiler:
The device to pump the chemicals into the sewers or subway or whatever - had to escort it through town in a military convoy, which was no problem at all
and I can't fucking goddamn do it. I mean, have I been playing the game *wrong* up until now and as a result I've not yet learned the necessary skills to progress, or what?

There's the generic zombie guys, there's the Hunter things, then there's the Super Hunters and the Tentacles. I cannot fucking beat the goddamn part where several Superhunters come after the thing I'm defending. If the tentacles aren't throwing cars at it, the hunters are beating the shit out of it. I just try to draw their attention away from it and to me, and they hand my ass to me on a silver platter. Don't get me wrong, I can outrun one of them, even two.. but usually, by the time I've got the attention of the third one, I've been bouncing around so much that the first one has lost interest and has gone back to hitting the thing.

I tried ganking a chopper and landing it before starting the event, but in the two seconds it took to skip the cutscene, my chopper vanished. Is there a better spot I can park it or something? Thermonukes? I mean, I try the swordarm thing, I try the tentacle, I try claws, I've even stooped to trying the hammerhands - I try it with armor, and I try it with the shield, and I try it with none of those. I try it with machine guns and rocket launchers, and I try it in stolen tanks and.. I just can't goddamn do it.. They always blow it up before I can stop them. The hell am I doing wrong?

And is it just me, or are airstrikes completely useless?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

The defending the toxin truck mission is hard, but I got through it after a few tries so I don't know what to tell you. The game saves your progress between the waves and that's a huge help imo. Can you get the military guys to help? Maybe you can steal a tank or something? Or just throw a lot of stuff at the hunters.

And, yeah, airstrikes is something where you fly around the town and suddenly think of it for fun, not something to use in combat.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:41 pm UTC

I steal a tank, and the big honkin' hunters trash it in seconds. The military guys are useful in the same way mosquitos are useful in fighting lions - every now and again they get the big guys to look the other way for a second, and that's it.

As far as the wave refreshes go, I.. well, after my eighth attempt or so versus the Superhunter things, I basically have to turn the game off and give it a bit of time, lest I do something I'll regret, like set fire to my PS3 or throw a controller through the TV or track down the bastards what made the game and kill them with my modified hammer hands.

But okay, good to know that - at least to you - it's that I'm just lacking in the combat department, not something like "You aren't using Doopwarp Lasher Strike? The hell is wrong with you, noob? You know what that is right? You turn your controller topwise and all, like you do for the Doublewopper Bonga Bomb hits, when you turn it leftward? You.. do know about turning it in directions, right?" or some other thing where I've somehow missed a very obvious control scheme and am suffering because of it.

... because I have been known to do that in games - discover what should be basic gameplay elements that you learned in the first level somewhere around level 50.

Return to “Gaming”