Parts of games that are just for bragging rights

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ArgonV

Parts of games that are just for bragging rights

Postby ArgonV » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 pm UTC

Today I played through the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess. I was pretty proud of myself that I made it to the end (with only 4 hearts to spare though) and then discovered that it didn't really serve any purpose, except for easy access to Fairies and Great Fairy Tears. So basically all I got to show for it, is the fact that I completed the cave.

There's an even better example: The Ancient Cave in Lufia 2. It isn't related to the story in any way. It does have some value if you're just playing the game though, some of the best equipment can be found in there. There are also enemies in there that you won't see in the regular game. I think some of those critters are even tougher than the final few bosses. Of course you only get complete bragging rights if you collect all the Iris treasures (items that can only be found in the cave), which includes beating the Master Jelly, preferably without glitching :P

I was wondering, are there any other examples that spring to mind?

Kizyr

Re: Parts of games that are just for bragging rights

Postby Kizyr » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

The Morlia Gallery in Tales of Phantasia (after it's been further excavated). That thing is neverending. The expedition into it is intense...

There's also all the Weapons in Final Fantasy 7--Ultima Weapon in particular (that's the strongest, right? It's been a while since I've played).

In my favorite game, Lunar: Eternal Blue, you can beat the Epilogue of the game with or without any number of your earlier party members (depending on if you go out and ask them to join you). Beating it solo with just the main character is cause for bragging rights.

Just to be clear, you're asking for things that are designed in the game as being challenging-yet-optional, not simply ways of playing the game with a handicap. Right? KF
~Kizyr

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

Both paper marios I played had temples of trials, which was just 100 baddies. You got something at the end, but I don't think it was a major aspect.

Any game which continues after the end is just for bragging rights. Like mario galaxy, especially the purple coins.

Of course, achievements are just for bragging rights, so things like the HL2:E2 gnome run are simply bragging rights.

Hmmm... what else...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Ended

Postby Ended » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:32 pm UTC

I believe Penance in Final Fantasy X (international version) is a Mean Mother, although I didn't get anywhere near beating him (it takes a couple hundred hours of gameplay just to unlock :? ).

Also, the trophies in Kingdom of Loathing, especially the Level 30 trophies. We're talking months of daily power-levelling just to achieve a shiny image in your profile.

Kizyr wrote:There's also all the Weapons in Final Fantasy 7--Ultima Weapon in particular (that's the strongest, right? It's been a while since I've played).
Ruby and Emerald are the super-tough ones.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 pm UTC

Completing a roguelike while under pretty much any restriction, or going out of your way to kill everything you run across, or aquiring any rare items you have to fight for. Trying to beat Nethack without genocide, praying, reading scrolls, polymorphing yourself, your pets, the kitchen sink, engraving elbereth or wishing is bragging rights. Doing all of them at once means you're no longer human and I must contact the black ops to have you taken away and studied.
ImageImage

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 am UTC

ArgonV wrote:Today I played through the Cave of Ordeals in Twilight Princess. I was pretty proud of myself that I made it to the end (with only 4 hearts to spare though) and then discovered that it didn't really serve any purpose, except for easy access to Fairies and Great Fairy Tears. So basically all I got to show for it, is the fact that I completed the cave.
No no... beating it once gets you the Fairy Tears.

Beating it twice is just for show.

/beat it twice.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:39 am UTC

All of Nethack.

*ducks*

Seriously though. The DS Castlevanias are great for this stuff. Dawn of Sorrow let you unlock rediculous weapons in boss rush, that weren't actually that useful, but they looked cool. Portrait of Ruin had that thing were you fought a ton of powerful enemies and bosses (two of one boss at once for example) and Order of Ecclesia has two areas unlocked by exiting the castle in a certain way. One challenges your platforming skills, and the other your combat skills.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:44 am UTC

Isn't this in TV Tropes as well? Of course it is. (Also here.) (Don't click the links if you don't know what you're getting into.)

Super Hans

Postby Super Hans » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

Doing the very last mission of CoD4 on the highest difficulty setting - the one on the aeroplane where you have so little time everything must be perfect for you to succeed, and it's not related to the story at all. That took me ages.

TheOtherDOOMGuy

Postby TheOtherDOOMGuy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 pm UTC

Ninja Gaiden Black.
Especially since I already owned Ninja Gaiden.
However I did beat it on Master Ninja, quite easily, something to really be proud of.

Also Metal Gear Solid, with Normal, Hard, Extreme, THEN European Extreme.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

And on my car:
Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

PapaNachos

Postby PapaNachos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

I Wanna Be The Guy has no other purpose than bragging rights...

Nethack as well

Stormlock

Postby Stormlock » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:10 pm UTC

Maybe we should change the topic to "Brag about your gaming achievements!"

I've played through all the arenas and all the missions where it is feasible to do so with only laser blades as weapons since Armored Core 2. This was actually laughably easy in the most recent game- they made laserblades rather powerful and easy to use. I destroyed a lot of arms forts in under 30 seconds. There were some crazy fights in previous games though, especially some of the arena opponents and 3v1 missions in early games. The final boss of AC 4 was an epic fight too though. It's a pity they took out the replay feature from the arena matches.

Oh, and another game where just normal play is worth bragging rights: Metal Warriors. Just getting through the third stage is hellish. I think the farthest I've gotten is the 5th or 6th. Best multiplayer game ever though.
ImageImage

Vieto

Postby Vieto » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Yoshi in Supermario 64.

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:09 am UTC

Getting all the cheats in goldeneye / perfect dark. Also the multiplayer challenges in perfect dark. Some of those were HARD (the only reason I beat the last one was because the AIs glitched while we were ahead).
Last edited by Strilanc on Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:19 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:10 am UTC

Vieto wrote:Yoshi in Supermario 64.
That's still a better reward than what you get for collecting all the stars in Super Mario 64 DS, which is... well, nothing, really, except for slightly different ending dialog and the chance to play a rather lame slot machine game.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:13 pm UTC

The one in Majora's Mask was insane actually not that bad. It was even harder than the final boss, but in an "adventure game" way, rather than having supertough combat.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:06 pm UTC

Pretty much the whole survival mode in L4D, because now you have a time to back up your story of how good your team is at taking out tanks.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

Any "Weapon" enemy in any Final Fantasy game, other than Diamond in FF7.

Beating Time Attack Hard Mode on Shadow of the Colossus (you get a sword that can kill a Colossus in one hit....when you don't need it clearly).

Challenges for Mega Man 9, particularly the "Mr. Perfect" one (beat the game without getting damaged, EVAR).
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:58 pm UTC

Does beating Touhou11 on normal count?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:05 pm UTC

Does winning The Game count?
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:06 pm UTC

Oh for God's sake, thats twice in one day.

Return to “Gaming”