PS3 Blinking Red Light Failure

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

GCM

PS3 Blinking Red Light Failure

Postby GCM » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:14 am UTC

"Wait, who is this guy? Never seen him around before mate. But he's got like 400 posts! What's up with that?"

Well, basically, I'm an older member of the forums. Man, it's been a while since I've been here. XD No matter. Password reset, gonna hang around here occasionally again.

Anyway, for my return topic; PS3 blinking red lights. Got me a 60GB (the backwards compatible) model from Gamestop, and it works great! But there's been a couple of times that it didn't work so great. One time last week, and right now.

What basically happens is that it crashes. Then, I turn it off using the switch at the back and turn it on again. Now, there'll be a red light held on the power button. When I press it, it turns green and beeps once, then turns yellow/orangey, then beeps three times and goes on to flashing red. Pressing it again resets it to just bar red with a beep, and trying to eject the disc produces the same results. Happens no matter how much I repeat, unplug, etc.

I was wondering if there was anyone else with this issue, and if anyone knows of a fix. Last time, it worked again when I tried it the next day. Can't seem to find any help on this, though.
I'm guessing it's a ventilation thing. I use it in the lounge downstairs, on a flat table with nothing else on it, completely unobstructed in all directions.

Anyone?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Re: PS3 Blinking Red Light Failure

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:32 am UTC

Lollertron@ 2008 being an older member.

Anyway, this is probably a bad place to ask given there are less than 10 PS3 owners here. Try playstation.com or one of the gaming sites if you really want to tap into Internet Knowledge, but I'd recommend calling Sony. Sounds like you'll have to send it in so you'll have to talk to them sooner or later anyway.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:52 pm UTC

I've heard about that as well. Definitely contact Sony. I've had a lot of success writing a letter to the biggest guy you can fine. It sounds crazy, but it works well. Write a letter to the CEO of Sony in the US (or wherever you are) and tell him about your problem. That's assuming it's not under warranty, in which case you'd be made. They may even replace it with another backwards compatible PS3.

If your PS3 ever wakes up again before you send it off, back up the data on your hard drive. Very important.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:36 pm UTC

So, your PS3 RRODed?

I am amused.

Can you detach/remove the hard drive like you can with the 360? If so, do that. My roommate had to send his 360 in, so he took the hard drive off and got a new(er) 360 back, also sans hard drive - so he plugged his back in and was good to go. Maybe the same thing will work for you here.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

GCM

Postby GCM » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:51 am UTC

10 owners? Really? =O

*points accusatory finger*

Anyway, I'm gonna see if this keeps happening. Amusing, isn't it?
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:09 am UTC

I guess I am one of the 10 users. And taking the issue to the top if you can will make you no friends, but will get results.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:49 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Can you detach/remove the hard drive like you can with the 360? If so, do that. My roommate had to send his 360 in, so he took the hard drive off and got a new(er) 360 back, also sans hard drive - so he plugged his back in and was good to go. Maybe the same thing will work for you here.

Yeah, the hard drive is easily removed...but he'll be waiting a long time to get a fixed PS3 since the parts for his are no longer in production.

lilaxian

Postby lilaxian » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:07 am UTC

How do I get ps3 to connect to media player on my laptop? I have dell inspiron 9400 with vista and norton 360 v2. In norton I have allowed windows media player, I have turned on media sharing. how do I get it to find my ps3. My ps3 keeps saying it can't find any media servers. Do I have to go through a router or can I do it without one? This is beginning to bother me big time.
We don't appreciate that here. Goodbye. -ST
Last edited by lilaxian on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:02 pm UTC

heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:01 pm UTC

I think, and I may be wrong, that you need to have the PS3 on at the same time as the server. Then open Windows Media Player and share with the PS3 which it should see on the network.

Also, exorcize Norton * from your computer.

Return to “Gaming”