Money can't buy everything, but it can buy nostalgic win.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Smiling Hobo

Money can't buy everything, but it can buy nostalgic win.

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:09 am UTC

So, for the past few days, I've been reminiscing about the good ole' days when I had a gameboy color and when Pokemon was the best RPG around (and it still is one of the greatest in my books). So, I went on Amazon today and purchased...

-Gameboy Advance
-Pokemon Red
-Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
-Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages

For $70. :D

New Gameboy Color: $125
Nostalgic Orgy Value Pack that I bought on Amazon.com: $70
Having the chance to scream like a little girl when my Blastoise evolves: Priceless

So, any other games for the GBC/GBA that you'd recommend I buy?

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Joeldi

Re: Money can't buy everything, but it can buy nostalgic win.

Postby Joeldi » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:24 am UTC

Oracle of Seasons, for sure. Playing those two together is pretty cool, and the final battle is fun.

Smiling Hobo wrote:Having the chance to scream like a little girl when my Wartortle evolves: Priceless

*Fix'd
I already have a hate thread. Necromancy > redundancy here, so post there.

roc314 wrote:America is a police state that communicates in txt speak...

"i hav teh dissentors brb""¡This cheese is burning me! u pwnd them bff""thx ur cool 2"

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Clearly you should indulge my nostalgia, not yours. Buy Yellow.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:59 am UTC

Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
Felix the Cat
Final Fantasy Adventure (it's actually more like Zelda than Final Fantasy)
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:06 am UTC

heh, I still have the old games that I got second hand off a friend who didn't want them anymore it's really only been about 4 years

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:20 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Final Fantasy Adventure (it's actually more like Zelda than Final Fantasy)

Oh, the two games that got the most play on my GBA were Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Both excellent.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:22 am UTC

Yeah tactics advance here... Concentration+Assassin = ezmode.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

Dragon Warrior Monsters

Golden Sun: The Lost age

Sega Genisis

Sonic three pack

And finally, for epic nostalgic win, The Legend of Zelda (For the NES)
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:16 pm UTC

Make that both Golden Suns. Play through 1, then use the code you can get from there to play 2, which beefs up Isaac and crew when you meet up.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:53 pm UTC

I've purchased Heroquest from eBay due to nostalgia. It's still a simple dorky dungeon crawl that gets gobs more fun with custom rules.

I also purchased The Elder Scrolls:Arena about two or three years before they freewared it. I still consider it a good purchase as it only ran me $15 with shipping, I believe.

Now, on the Gameboy (Advance), other than Tactics Advance, I'd recommend Rebelstar:Tactical Command. It's X-Com Lite, or Tactics Advance with Plasma Weapons and Aliens. Take your pick.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:Make that both Golden Suns. Play through 1, then use the code you can get from there to play 2, which beefs up Isaac and crew when you meet up.

Not to mention that it's the only way to collect all the Djinns and thus face the Real Final Boss.
500%!

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:Final Fantasy Adventure (it's actually more like Zelda than Final Fantasy)

It's actually a Mana (Seiken Densetsu) game, contrary to the name.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:51 pm UTC

Hmmm...never even heard of half of these games. :-/ I guess I'm not as old school as I once thought. Damn, I prided myself on that.

Meh, anyway, the system and games, according to Amazon, are arriving tomorrow. I'm really getting too excited about this...but it's going to be fucking epic.

Oracle of Seasons, for sure. Playing those two together is pretty cool, and the final battle is fun.
I had Oracle of Seasons, too, but could never get into it like I got into Oracle of Ages...the whole time-travel theme appealed to me a lot more than the changing-the-seasons one.

Buy Yellow.
Pokemon Yellow just took Pokemon Red/Blue, dressed it up in drag, added a Pickachu, and called it a new game. I didn't like it.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Intercept

Postby Intercept » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:08 am UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:Hmmm...never even heard of half of these games. :-/ I guess I'm not as old school as I once thought. Damn, I prided myself on that.

Not all of the games people have listed are old school, I know for certain that Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Golden Sun are GBA games.
"I've always supported pudding, even when it was politically unpopular to do so."-Bill Nye Video

Alias

Postby Alias » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:13 am UTC

I still have my game boy color... and pokemons yellow and crystal.

HOWEVER the darned save batteries have worn out :( need to crack open the funny shaped wrench set when i have a chance i guess
GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:16 am UTC

Jedifreak wrote:Dragon Warrior Monsters

That game was so great. Seriously, I don't know how many summers I spent in front of my house, on a little yellow trampoline, playing that game. All day long. And it was awesome.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Darryl

Postby Darryl » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:25 pm UTC

Smiling Hobo wrote:
I had Oracle of Seasons, too, but could never get into it like I got into Oracle of Ages...the whole time-travel theme appealed to me a lot more than the changing-the-seasons one.

I would still advise getting both, playing through one, then the other, to get the whole plot.
yurell wrote:We need fewer homoeopaths, that way they'll be more potent!

hideki101

Postby hideki101 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

Both Golden Suns, Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance are some of the games I would suggest, but as they have been already recommended, i need to think of some other games that are really good.
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story (both I and II) are pretty good RPGs with real-time battles. These games are really underrated.
If you want to go for it, Some of the Megaman series work well on the GBA (The only ones I have are a few from the Battle Network series, though they really are good)
Albert Einistein wrote:"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Klapaucius

Postby Klapaucius » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Since we're sticking with GBA games: Metroid Fusion is pretty great, if you like that style of gameplay. Metroid: Zero Mission is good, too--but it's a remake of the original, so it's pretty short.
500%!

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:48 pm UTC

this is my nostalgia, but Tomb Raider, that was pretty fun IMO
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:14 pm UTC

Klapaucius wrote:Since we're sticking with GBA games: Metroid Fusion is pretty great, if you like that style of gameplay. Metroid: Zero Mission is good, too--but it's a remake of the original, so it's pretty short.
The physics of Fusion I liked, it was very fast-paced with a better gravity. Walljumping and climbing was good too. I also liked having to be scared as hell of your nemesis for most of the game, that was a good touch. What bothered me was being guided forced to the exact sector you need to go, which in my opinion is against 2d metroid canon.

re:Zelda, I didn't have the heart to buy both oracles, so I went online and set it up where my oracle of time game is considered to be the "2nd" play giving me a heads-up on the whole storyline.

I tried to turn around and play OOC but man, its now just twilight princess with bad graphics.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:14 pm UTC

There are a handful of Amazing GBA RPGs:
-Golden Sun
-Golden Sun: The Lost Age (didn't like it as much as the first but you actually learn what the hell was going on in the first game...)
-Final Fantasy:4 Advance. Seriously. I KNOW there's a DS version now. The Advance content at the end of FF4A is still the best stuff of any FF game, ever. It's so great, it's unfathomable. Also 5 and 6 ain't bad. FF6A I particularly played to death but there wasn't much reason to play it over the SNES version unless you actually wanted EVADE to DO something...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

...I'm currently replaying Crystal, I'm about to get the final Gym Badge. And man, that Suicune battle was tense... I failed with 18 Ultra Balls while he was at 1 health and asleep, then caught him with a pokéball after he'd woken up. Hmm.

Also, I want to get myself FFVI Advance. I still haven't finished it on my computer, but a portable version would probably change that.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:02 pm UTC

1. Download emulator
2. Download ROMS
3. ?????
4. Savings

I don't see anything wrong with this for old games. I mean, they aren't being produced anymore, and they can't be bought at retailers, meaning that even if you buy a copy of the game, you aren't giving the company any money since you're probably buying it off someone else. GBA games are a little iffy since they're still being sold and current generation hardware plays them (DS).

Or do you need to have that gameboy in hand? Guess it depends what gets your nostalgia going.

mosc wrote:-Final Fantasy:4 Advance. Seriously. I KNOW there's a DS version now. The Advance content at the end of FF4A is still the best stuff of any FF game, ever. It's so great, it's unfathomable. Also 5 and 6 ain't bad. FF6A I particularly played to death but there wasn't much reason to play it over the SNES version unless you actually wanted EVADE to DO something...

Yeah, a GBA version has been out for a few years (I have it), and the DS one is recent and was redone in 3d. I liked the game, but I didn't really get it. I mean, you can't change a character's class; the equipment system is pretty much just buy-what-you-can-afford, and the combat is rather repetitive, especially since you can't really upgrade or change attacks.

Now, it's been a while since I've played, so I could be wrong about any of those. Is there something I'm missing?

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:57 am UTC

Advance Wars is quite excellent. It even has single-GBA multiplayer. Fire Emblem is pretty good too, I haven't played Sacred Stones though.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:55 pm UTC

Advance Wars... challenge maps drove me totally insane. If you have any suggestion of a character to use that works the best, and ways to foil the AI, i'd love to hear it. I hated them so much, sometimes you'd be dead in 2 rounds.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Yeah, a GBA version has been out for a few years (I have it), and the DS one is recent and was redone in 3d. I liked the game, but I didn't really get it. I mean, you can't change a character's class; the equipment system is pretty much just buy-what-you-can-afford, and the combat is rather repetitive, especially since you can't really upgrade or change attacks.

Now, it's been a while since I've played, so I could be wrong about any of those. Is there something I'm missing?

Basically the game opens up in the endgame. Specifically in FF4A (and not the DS version) once you get to the final dungeon, you are given back your old characters and can now switch characters. The real GEM of that game though is the bonus dungeon which you cannot even unlock until you've beaten the game and then cannot even fully access till you've re-beaten it with the other characters.

It's basically a custom dungeon filled with extra hard stuff and really nice loot. It has special adventures for each of the playable characters that are really quite diverse. The ninja one has lots of hidden rooms and finding all the cool items is difficult. The paladin one presents you with ethical dilemmas that shape your reward. The white mage one has you racing to cure friendlies in the nick of time. Each ends with an interesting boss battle based on one of the game's summons and unlocks new abilities for the character in question (usually switched by equipping a ring). The whole thing is repeatable and is designed to be interesting to play through multiple times (what you can go into changes on who you brought with you). You can blow several hours in this dungeon finding all it's secrets. It's comparable in scope to the entire rest of the game if you really get serious about maximizing your characters.

Through all this too you start getting a variety of gear that you can swap around for elemental resistances, high defense, evasion, or high stat boosts. FF4 (all versions) also has some extremely extremely rare drops to go after. Adamant armor is one of the single hardest pieces to get in any FF game ever.

FF4A is kind of like Regular FF4 was a standard game of FFX and then the A slapped on the end was the monster arena being added. It's that much content and it's that kind of awesome.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:43 pm UTC

Darryl wrote:Make that both Golden Suns. Play through 1, then use the code you can get from there to play 2, which beefs up Isaac and crew when you meet up.

Already have the first one.
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

I just bought

Golden Sun: The Lost Age

Sonic (Genisis)

Sonic 2 (Genisis)

Tetris (NES)

Metroid (NES)

Sega Genesis Console

NES/SNES Console.

I win, epically.