Far Cry 2

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

fishyfish777

Far Cry 2

Postby fishyfish777 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

I am a ruthless copypasta.
stepat201 wrote:I was surprised there wasn't one of these yet,and I feel it is my mission from god to make this,so here goes.

Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2 is the sequel to 2004's technical stunner,Far Cry. The game is being developed by Ubisoft and has no connection to the original game other than the name.
Setting:

Far Cry 2 takes place in Africa and will feature lots of stunning environments ranging from open savannahs's to dense jungles. The game space will be a large 50 square kilometers.

Story:

At the start of the game,the player will choose from 12 different characters. The character they choose will be the character they play the game as,and the other 11 characters will be NPC's in the game world,mercenaries who will give you jobs and help you out.

Your goal in the game is to find and assassinate 'The Jackal',an arms dealer that has been selling weapons to both sides of the conflict that's tearing apart a small fictional African country.[3] The way this is done, however is entirely up to the player, being possible to ally with anyone he/she chooses.

Nothing is known about the plot other than this,but it will surely be filled with twists and interesting developments.

Gameplay:

The folks over at Ubisoft have stated that this will be a game where you play how you want to play. From the footage shown at this years E3,I believe them. The game features a fully dynamic weather system and day/night cycles.

These aren't just gimmicks,they greatly affect the gameplay. During the daytime,if everything's bright and sunny,you're going to be running in guns blazing. The game features tons of weapons and vehicles to ensure that this won't get stale.

If you want to play at night however (my favorite),you should opt for a more stealth based gameplay. This means picking up a silenced gun (the MP5 would be perfect),sneaking in,maybe shooting out the lights,and completing your objective without being detected. You can pick up ragdolls (bodies) to hide them for added stealth

The game is completely non-linear and at anytime you can go to a safehouse and sleep. So,if it's daytime and you want to play at night,go to a safehouse,sleep and wake up at nighttime. Simple as that.

Weapons wear down over time so you need to clean them.

Technology:

The game runs on the Dunia engine, which features destructible environments and a dynamic weather and fire/burning system.

Tech Demo:

Photobucket: http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w...nt=FC2Demo.flv

HQ (162mb download): http://files.filefront.com/fc2+techd.../fileinfo.html

Weapons:

The game will feature a wide array of weapons. The current number as of E3 is 30 weapons (not including the machete or C4)

Some weapons will be:

Machine Gun:

Sniper Rifle

Rocket Launcher:

Flamethrower

Other weapons include:

-Mortar (awesome)

-MP5

-AK-47

-C4

-Machete

etc...

Vehicles:

The game will also have tons of vehicles ranging from dune buggys to trucks to hang gliders.

Multiplayer:

Nothing is known about the multiplayer right now except that it will feature large scale battles and the game will come with an editor. Players will be able to create their own maps in the editor and play them with their friends,just like the first game.

The editor is said to be very user friendly.

Release Date:

Ubisoft said at E3 they would announce a release date in the coming weeks. We're still waiting Ubisoft!

Currently it's slated for sometime this fall. Apparently October according to wikipedia.

System Requirements

Minimum requirements

CPU: Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz, Pentium D 2.66 Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ or better

RAM: 1 GB

Video card: NVidia 6800 or ATI X1650 or better
Shader Model 3 required
256 Mb of graphic memory

Media reader: DVD-ROM

Hard drive space: ~12 Gig of HD space. (tbd)

Recommended:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Family, AMD 64 X2 5200+, AMD Phenom or better

RAM: 2 GB

Video card: NVidia 8600 GTS or better, ATI X1900 or better
512 Mb of graphic memory

Sound: 5.1 sound card recommended

Supported Video cards:
NVidia 6800, NVidia 7000 series, 8000 series, 9000 series, 200 series. 8800M and 8700M supported for laptops.
ATI X1650 – 1950 series , HD2000 series , HD3000 series , HD4000 series

Deceiving your enemies video (best)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLnXC2NsQdU[/media]

Map Editor Demonstration (on the 360)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltKQVLJ4QJw[/media]

So, will you get this game? Sounds awesome.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Amnesiasoft

Re: Far Cry 2

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

So far, Far Cry 2 has left me unimpressed. The graphics are kind of meh (and perhaps it's just me, but I saw framerate dips in the videos of the game). The sandbox thing has already been done in, gasp, Far Cry, and Crysis. And the fire only looks moderately impressive, and considering the track record of previews of things versus the actual product, the fire will also be meh. So basically, it sounds like Crysis, but much later to the game. And since Crytek did the original Far Cry, Crysis probably qualifies as more of a Far Cry 2 than Far Cry 2 will.

Narsil
Ask me about my junk!

Postby Narsil » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:55 am UTC

The opinion going around for this seems to be kind of meh, but I'm excited. This is mostly because I own a PS3 and the map editing will be there too. Plus I'm kind of a whore for sandbox/physics stuff. I hope this turns out nicely.
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:The sandbox thing has already been done in, gasp, Far Cry, and Crysis.

No it hasn't. Both of those were completely linear games. According to Ubisoft, this is going to be much more open ended in terms of storyline and travel, and if they can pull that off well with a solid FPS they may have something new on their hands. This is as opposed to Crytek, who tried to excuse mediocre gameplay with ultra-realistic graphics.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:01 am UTC

I'd have gotten it at any other time of the year... But with a dozen or more fantastic games coming out over the next two months, I simply can't squeeze "pretty good" stuff into my gaming schedule. Tough luck, Ubisoft.

Mr_Meister

Postby Mr_Meister » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:07 pm UTC

If this game was no improvement at all on Far Cry, i would not hesitate to buy it immediately.

That is how much I loved Far Cry. Hence, the reasoning why I have already pre-ordered my copy of Far Cry 2, even if it means i have to upgrade my laptop to play it.

Plus, I get a free bag and drink bottle with my pre-order! :D I am hyped.
Pride of the South since 1990

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:02 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:I'd have gotten it at any other time of the year... But with a dozen or more fantastic games coming out over the next two months, I simply can't squeeze "pretty good" stuff into my gaming schedule. Tough luck, Ubisoft.

This. Very this.

Although the editor is totally sweet, I won't be getting this any time soon.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Well, I always wait to hear reviews before I consider buying games, no matter the hype. This one is no different.

But how can you say the graphics are only meh? They look almost effing photorealistic to me. Are there some preview videos I have not seen that look like crap?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:37 am UTC

There's a few nice models and effects, but the hills and scenery in the distance is pretty crap, and the weapons, particularly the textures, look astoundingly mediocre. Also, for a game with so much vegetation, the plant life doesn't look great.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:45 am UTC

That's a shame, one of the great things about Far Cry was how good all the foliage looked (i.e. miles ahead of anything else done at that time).

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:10 am UTC

Isn't the only connection this game has to Far Cry the name? It's not the same team or anything, or even a sequel, Ubisoft's just cashing in on the brand.

Edit: Lolz, I see that exact sentence is in the first post. Guess that's where I got it from.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:34 am UTC

Rippy wrote:But how can you say the graphics are only meh?

Because they kind of are? There are these tiny little things that make you wonder what people were thinking. Best example I can think of in a game that's out where I had a similar feeling was Rainbow 6: Vegas. My friends and I were playing then I just stop...staring at a valve because it was just that awful and immersion breaking. Seriously. We stopped for a half a minute to laugh at just how bad looking the valve was. it was an OCTAGON. (Random unrelated topic: Speaking of octagons...I wonder how OCTGN is doing...)

Or maybe I'm playing too much Crysis?

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

Well Im looking forward to it cos i play games for the GAMEPLAY, not for how many polygons can we throw at the player.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

dbsmith wrote:Well Im looking forward to it cos i play games for the GAMEPLAY

I kind of went over that part in my previous posts...

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

1. Far cry 2 is more of a "Open-end Grand theft auto" style gameplay than a "You can go off-course a little bit in missions" kind of game-play. Of course, there ARE self-activated missions.
2. Ubisoft rocks.
3. I like how the System Requirements are less than crysis.
4. Bumpety bump bump.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:1. Far cry 2 is more of a "Open-end Grand theft auto" style gameplay than a "You can go off-course a little bit in missions" kind of game-play. Of course, there ARE self-activated missions.

That's what they say, but we'll have to wait until the game is out before we decide on that.
fishyfish777 wrote:2. Ubisoft rocks.

That's debatable. They waited this long to start Beyond Good & Evil 2! That, and the average metacritic score I got from their games on Steam was only 76.666...
fishyfish777 wrote:3. I like how the System Requirements are less than crysis.

The system requirements for Lost Planet are lower than the ones for Crysis, but Lost Planet doesn't run as well, and looks worse.
fishyfish777 wrote:4. Bumpety bump bump.

No, spy here!

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:11 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:1. Far cry 2 is more of a "Open-end Grand theft auto" style gameplay than a "You can go off-course a little bit in missions" kind of game-play. Of course, there ARE self-activated missions.

That's what they say, but we'll have to wait until the game is out before we decide on that.
fishyfish777 wrote:2. Ubisoft rocks.

That's debatable. They waited this long to start Beyond Good & Evil 2! That, and the average metacritic score I got from their games on Steam was only 76.666...
fishyfish777 wrote:3. I like how the System Requirements are less than crysis.

The system requirements for Lost Planet are lower than the ones for Crysis, but Lost Planet doesn't run as well, and looks worse.
fishyfish777 wrote:4. Bumpety bump bump.

No, spy here!

1. Well, at least it LOOKS like it's open-ended. Not like CoD4.
2. Delaying a game doesn't mean the company is bad. I was judging the Splinter cell games as the good things :D
3. It runs almost the exact same engine as crysis except for the fact that it is more streamlined.
4. Buildin a sentry!

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 am UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:2. Delaying a game doesn't mean the company is bad. I was judging the Splinter cell games as the good things :D

I meant the whole it was never even approved until recently. That wasn't delayed, that was just not even starting.
fishyfish777 wrote:3. It runs almost the exact same engine as crysis except for the fact that it is more streamlined.

"Only 2 or 3 percent of the original CryEngine code is being re-used, according to Michiel Verheijdt, Senior Product Manager for Ubisoft Netherlands."

That doesn't sound like almost the exact same engine to me.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:13 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:The sandbox thing has already been done in, gasp, Far Cry, and Crysis.

No it hasn't. Both of those were completely linear games. According to Ubisoft, this is going to be much more open ended in terms of storyline and travel, and if they can pull that off well with a solid FPS they may have something new on their hands. This is as opposed to Crytek, who tried to excuse mediocre gameplay with ultra-realistic graphics.

I dunno about Far Cry, but Crysis was pretty free about how you could complete most missions.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Miles Invictus

Postby Miles Invictus » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:43 am UTC

...until you got to the aliens. Stealth didn't work, you couldn't run from fights, you didn't need the precision from strength, and the enemies did so much damage anyway that armor was the only viable suit mod.

Coin

Postby Coin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

I've just read the PC-Gamer (UK of course) review of the game and watched the movies and now I'm really excited about the game.
Having the early story randomised and responsive NPC's sounds like a rather novel idea.
This game is as good as guarantied a place in my collection.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:27 pm UTC

4 days! (3 if gamestop lets me get it at 12 am) I am so god damn excited for this. Map editor, good fire physics, destrucability...man, I cannot wait.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:33 am UTC

I just put in my pre-order to download it at 10 today from direct2drive, can't wait either. Between it, Fallout 3 and Warhead I'm having a ball of a time with FPS titles this fall.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Appologies for the double post,

This experience with Ubisoft and Farcry 2 has been sheer headache. So I've downloaded the game off Direct2drive, all good they gave me a serial key and it works etc, install went fine and I ran it. It opens a black box with a resolution of 2600x600, plays interactive sounds like a menu system is reacting to my button pressing but nothing else. I end-task and try again with the same results. I try forcing full-screen with alt-enter, no functionez. I dig through the program files tree to where the executables are and launch the safe mode version of the app, it loads a 640x480 box but the same behavior. In disbelief I try a few compatibility mode switches and still the same damn results. I try the techdemo executable, plug in some values and it works just fine, wtf! It occurs to me that I could probably find some sort of graphics preset file and edit it, I do find it here:

"Me"\Documents\My Games\Farcry 2\Gamerprofile.something

I find the resolutions in the list and this is where I discovered that first window was a totally obscure resolution of 2600x600...like how the f*ck did it come up with that...I know my resolution isn't very common (3840x1024) but seriously how the hell did it decide that was going to be the resolution to use. Any ways I set it to 1280x1024 and also find a 'fullscreen' variable set to 0 so I set it to 1 based on theory of a boolean. Fire it up and woo it actually loads, go into display settings and see my precious 3804x1024 among and set to that, also check DX10 as the mode it should use (I'm running f*cking Vista...this should be the default anyways). Launch game and the damned field of view is screwed to hell in triple screen which I was hoping wouldn't be an out of the box problem considering Farcry 1 & both Crysises(Crysi? CrysyssissY? :P) did it fine right off the bat. I waited through the 5 minute unskippable intro gameplay which I bet would have looked freakin awesome if the whole world wasn't mushed into a macro view (due to wrong aspect ratio for the triple resolution). Get to a point where I can save and boom back to desktop without so much as an error code.

So I go looking for the forum, it took a bit to find it through Ubisoft's spazzticly designed website. I check first for the FOV fixer: Nope, but I see lots of people complaining about that black box with no video... So I decide to add in the fix on that thread and just need to login using some account I'd created while playing Silent hunter 4, but I forgot the password. Get the request sent to my email, open the link and after five tries to change the password and getting an obscure "Invalid information entered" on one and/or both lines of my password change boxes(You know fill in password then re-type it) I decide to just make a new account. During that process it rejects because I'm trying to use the same email address as the previous account but I also see that its got a little question mark next to the password box and hovering over it gives me the draconian min 6 chars plus one caps/number/wingding crap and I realize that's what the generic error was probably bitching about in that change box. So I change the original's successfully and and log in. I post my reply.

By the wall of text I'm making this post into you can imagine I'm frustrated and I wanna tell the webmasters how much simpler it'd have been if it'd freakin told me why it was rejecting my passwords. I click the 'contact support' and it brings me to the french canadian support site, okay they're from france and they just assume everyone in canada is french too...wonderful. I see the switch language box and go to english/canada. Brings me back to the front page of ubisoft's website with the address looking like its the US version...click 'support'...get the french one again, repeat. Try to follow through to get web request form in french as last resort: "Le site a trouvé une erreur. Merci d'essayer plus tard ou de nous contacter si le problème persiste." (We're sorry but the site is passed out from too much cheap wine). I tried to go to the US version and it did the same thing but in english "We're sorry but the website is passed out from too much cheap Budlight."

F*ck you Ubisoft. Seriously, this isn't amateur hour. Fix yer shit.

Any ways, I'd hold off on this game. It seems there are a few 'special' bugs that need to be addressed first.

[/rant] Sorry again.
Last edited by BumpInTheNight on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:11 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Coin

Postby Coin » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Wait a minute, you are running the game on three screens?
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:45 pm UTC

Coin wrote:Wait a minute, you are running the game on three screens?

Yup, total resolution of 3840x1024. I use a triplehead2go Dongle to accomplish it but there are other methods. The thing they do is have one output from your video card(s) go to a little box that in turn splits out to your three monitors. End result is your OS is tricked into thinking you simply have a single really wide monitor. Props because it works with SLI too due to the single output. These guys explain it much better, plus pretty pictures:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... /TH2Go_FAQ

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:33 am UTC

I have horrific brand loyalty and PC Gamer gave it 94%. As such ill probably get it :)
One day something wity and original will appear here

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

Oh for sure, its a title I'd have picked up regardless of the experience yesterday. I guess my hopes were too high that it'd be a well polished title right out of the gates as opposed to needing a few patches etc. Ultimately everything short of the aspect ratio in triple screen (which I can sorta understand being forgotten by Ubisoft) does work and it works smooth and well. I played a little bit of it in single screen and found the graphics to be less impressive then Crysis at max settings but that's fine it just means higher FPS for me. I'm liking the story line and having gotten to the first safe house and being presented with what appears to be mission mechanics almost akin to GTA3&4 in its neat and very playable.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm UTC

That kinda is what I was wanting to suggest and was trying to think of a way of saying it without being a dick - that is "You're running a highly unusual setup that relies on a 3rd party piece of hardware not physically connected to the motherboard via PCI slot or whatever that in essence "tricks" your OS into running a pretty fucked up resolution... and you're confused as to why you're having graphical issues?"

So, yeah, good to see that the only issue appears to be your running the 3 monitor thing.. (At least, that's what I'm assuming you mean, that you took that off for a bit, tried it with a single monitor and it works fine now.)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:That kinda is what I was wanting to suggest and was trying to think of a way of saying it without being a dick - that is "You're running a highly unusual setup that relies on a 3rd party piece of hardware not physically connected to the motherboard via PCI slot or whatever that in essence "tricks" your OS into running a pretty fucked up resolution... and you're confused as to why you're having graphical issues?"

So, yeah, good to see that the only issue appears to be your running the 3 monitor thing.. (At least, that's what I'm assuming you mean, that you took that off for a bit, tried it with a single monitor and it works fine now.)

It works with 4:3 ratio displays fine but as this thread on the ubi forums started by another triple display owner its not just that situation of wider display. Seems they hacked regular 16:9 screen support too, the problem isn't as pronounced but very much present. Letter box/looking through a mail box slot is how they did wide screen and much like Bioshock, even the wide screen TV owning console players are getting angry about it.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

BumpInTheNight wrote:Stuff about Farcry 2 DRM

Yeah... that's why I buy console games, usually. Have fun, PC gamers!
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:40 pm UTC

Meh the DRM on this title is actually the most reasonbly implemented I've seen of its nature, being able to recover an 'install use' if you uninstall it is not bad short of full system crash. Besides we all know that if it comes down to it you can just yoink a crack for a game and avoid the whole thing entirely (on the PC, but for consoles sorry guys). Btw what's the bets that in the near future DRM will get applied to console games which attach them to a specific console ala how itunes does its music with ipods?

Specifically for this game hey console users you don't happen to use a wide screen tv do you? I'm glad the PC gamers got the fix, no thanks to Ubi of course.

/Still think even after my technical issues were resolved with this game that its mediocre and am waiting in anticipation for Fallout 3 tommorow

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:54 pm UTC

I can't believe this topic is still kinda alive.

Well, I got it, and it was good. Then I got bored at the 50% mark, and went and bought Fallout 3.

Graphics = 9/10
The graphics are great overall, but not to the level of Crysis.

Gameplay = 7/10
Gameplay is good, but the missions are way too repetitive.

Replay value = 5/10
Multiplayer is standard affair.

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:59 am UTC

I just ordered this :)

cant wait for it to arrive :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edit: just arived in the mail :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edit:It crashes on the loading screen noooooooooo :cry: :( :? :x
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Paranoid Android wrote:I just ordered this :)

ONLY ON PC-Yeah! That's why I buy 360! (and other reasons I won't name)

Paranoid__Android

Postby Paranoid__Android » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:57 pm UTC

HighCharity wrote:

This only happens on very few games
The Great Hippo wrote:Paranoid__Android,
... truly, you are a champion among champions. ...

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Paranoid Android wrote:
HighCharity wrote:

This only happens on very few games
I will also add that there are a number of people on this very fora that can tell you of the 360's hardware issues.

And at least with a PC, if it breaks, you can fix it yourself, rather than send it off to be fixed by a complete stranger, possibly in another country, and wait several weeks for it to return.

Yeah. 360's are SO much better.

[/sarcasm]

I like the 360 and the PS3, and the Wii, and the PC. I just -prefer- the PC.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:14 pm UTC

Its fun, and the weapon degredation is kind of cool (if sometimes annoying at just the wrong time).
However, some weapons, like the markarov silenced pistols are unbalanced; sure it does little damage, but its silenced and you can hit someone (every time!) if you ironsight. This is from such a range that they are only a couple of pixels across.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

InstinctSage

Postby InstinctSage » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:20 am UTC

I picked this up just yesterday for the 360. I'd put down $30 on it when I returned Trauma centre for the wii for Bioshock, but after Bioshock I went through Mirror's Edge and Prince of Persia, so I only just got it.

After 7 hours of play and 16% done, I'm still enjoying it. Like most recent Ubisoft games (Assassin's Creed, Prince of Persia) it has a system that it sticks to ad nauseum, but I must say there's more variety than I was expecting. I'd heard the checkpoints were frustrating, but I'm playing on Hardcore and I find that I can blow right through them in a car if I know where I'm going, and unless I do something stupid like get out 100 metres later and try to take them on with no cover, I can now make my way around the map with little effort.

It probably helps that I went straight to the weapons dealer and did as many missions as I could. Now I have a Dragunov, a Minimi (can't remember the actual name, it's an LMG special), and a silenced Makarov. Occasionally I switch up for the SPAS. I'd prefer to dump the LMG for the SPAS and have a sniper shotty combo, but it won't let me and that's kinda frustrating, because a SPAS would be easier to lug around than a LMG. Since it doesn't look like there are any sniper rifles classed as special weapons (Even what I think is a barrett counts as a primary) it kind of upsets me that I'll never get that option, but with a primary case I can always have one or the other in safe houses to switch up as the needed.

The missions are repetitive but the different locations and set ups keep things fresh for me. It's the same as in Shinobido, the lesser known Tenchu clone on PS2 which has a grand total of about 16 levels and 8 mission types and just jumbles them randomly to give you endless side missions. I think I sunk 80 hours into that, so FC2 is looking good in that respect.

I've barely scratched the main story missions here, but the buddy system of optional objectives is confusing for me. Sometimes it isn't clear how the optional objectives tie in to the main ones, and in one instance it felt like I was choosing between doing what the factions wanted me to do, and doing what my buddy wanted me to do. I'm not sure what the benefit (if any) is of going one way or another, other than increaseing the "history" stat.

One really infuriating thing: Getting shot by snipers while driving at full speed. Pisses me off. The dude can miss you when you're standing still. I think sniper shots are instant hit rather than traced which is what causes it, which is kinda pathetic in this day and age. It reduces the sniper enemies to a basic "Hit x% of the time when in LOS". Oh, and the weapon degradation stinks when it happens to a purchased weapon. It's all well and good when you pick up a rusted dirty gun you know is unreliable, but no matter how much they say you can tell the condition of a weapon, when my purchased gun still looks shiny and new it shouldn't jam, but it does if I haven't replaced it with an exact replica at the weapon shed in a few days.

Lastly, the malaria. I don't mind it, but I don't really know what it's there for. You contract malaria right at the start of the game, and have to routinely do missions for the underground to get medicine to treat it. Nobody is NOT going to do this, so the end result is having a bout of the dizzies once a day then taking a pill. When that happens in the middle of combat it's annoying, especially when it means you inadvertently take a syrette first because it's mapped to the same button on the 360. I can't understand what function it serves as a game mechanic. I was kinda expecting that you could contract malaria if you did some lucrative mission in the game or something like that. I suppose it will come clear in time. Or not.

Anyway, enjoying my time. Using the bus stops helps cut a lot of needless driving out, and collecting diamond briefcases has become like routine interludes in my travels. Though I don't seem to be getting any more gun missions at the moment so I'm really just saving my money for better stuff when its available.
nightlina wrote:We get stick insects here.. they're pretty cool and stick-like.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:48 am UTC

Anyone know any good mods out there?

Return to “Gaming”