mySQL game

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CogDissident

mySQL game

Postby CogDissident » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:40 pm UTC

The game "mySQL game" hosted on google apps has gotten a few mentions in the media, mostly for being such an unusual sort of game concept.
http://mysqlgame.appspot.com/

I like it, personally, due to the level of transparency and simplicity. It is very clear, at all stages, what each thing does and the benefits/costs of each action. It relies heavily on afk/absent users as a source of income, but the game tends to curtail this in a few ways. One is that you cannot attack anyone more than 3 levels below your attack power (of either their defense or offense) so you can either leave your defense low, and let people 3 levels above you beat on you, or you can raise it up and become food for bigger fish. Higher attack power lets you attack further away, but limits your targets to only those other people who are active.

This causes the game to (in just the short less-than-a-week that it has been out) self separate into tiers. The first tier are 1 attack/1 defense colonies that are food for everyone else. The second tier are people with 2-3 in either of those, and those tend to be the middle-ground as far as hunting goes. And the third are people with a 6 or 7 in defense, with 4 attack or so. These people are the slow-but-steady turtles of the game, relying on their huge defense to scare people off, and to prevent retaliation from the smaller people they attack. And the "rare" but present fourth tier of people with gigantic attack ratings (7 through 9) that wait for the turtles to get enough saved up money that it is profitable to hit them.

This makes the game rely heavily on math, knowing what attacks are profitable and which arn't, and being able to predict when the cash-cow of your choice is going to be attackable.

Joining means you generally get put at the end of the table, making it so that everyone around you is also low-level. So as the game goes on the early-people tend to self-select themselves up, and the newer people are placed so far away that it isn't feasible to attack them.

Approx ranges (assuming you don't want to waste a lot of fuel)
10 for attack 1-4
20 for attack 5
40 for attack 6-8
80 for attack 9
160 for attack 12 (I have not seen higher than 9 attack, ever)

After about 4 days playing, I started in row 400 (shard 4) and the table currently goes to 2400 or so. So lots of variety and impromptu alliances.

Durinthal

Re: mySQL game

Postby Durinthal » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

It's a neat little game. I named my row DROP TABLE; for fun.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

This game's pretty addictive. I'm sitting at row 873 on shard 5 but I've attacked and grown as much as I can in that area and I'm running out of resources. Now I'm just saving to buy a new row so that I can move further up the table to where the bigger players are.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:04 pm UTC

I can't get it to run - what browser are you all using?
Firebug wrote:$ is not defined
(?)()dashboard (line 461)
[Break on this error] SET_DHTML("dashboard_header"+NO_DRAG,
dashboard (line 461)
$ is not defined
[Break on this error] $(function(){ $("#welcome").dialog({'buttons': {
dashboard (line 450)
SET_DHTML is not defined
[Break on this error] SET_DHTML("dashboard_header"+NO_DRAG,
dashboard (line 461)

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:40 am UTC

So, anyone figure out the mechanics yet?

I'm in row 3882 in shard 4. It's pretty empty around here though. I've already taken most of what I can from my surrounding peers.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

I'm row 1511 on shard 4. There's me, a couple of others just as powerful (to the point where none of us can attack each other because we have a much higher defense than offense), and lots of abandoned and empty spots 20 rows either direction.

I'm considering making an extra row right next to mine to continue farming the low-level rows and boosting my current one to go after bigger and farther targets.

(Firefox 3, to answer Random832)

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:00 pm UTC

I've played for a day, and am already at the stage where increasing my money_factory by one will take almost 5 days to pay off. Am I right in thinking that the best way to make lots of money is to make lots of rows with cheap factories?
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:25 pm UTC

To make a new row with 10 money factories (and excluding everything else like defense), it costs 100460 (80000 for the first new row and 20460 for the next 9 money factories). However, you then have an additional 10 money factories so your total is 21 instead of 12. The extra 9 money per update means an additional 77760 per day, so you're going to make it up much faster; under 14 hours to recoup the costs by my estimate. The new row ends up paying for itself in under 28 hours.

Assuming a second new row doubles in price, it becomes 140460 for another new row with 10 money factories. But by then you have 31 total, so you make up the cost of the second entirely new row in less than 12.6 hours.

For a third row it's 180460 (guessing 160000 for the row creator, but may be 200000).. 41 money factories, so the time goes down to 12.23 hours.

Granted, this is excluding any defense whatsoever, so you'll need a bit more than that. I'm in the same boat as you currently (with the exception that I can still farm 1x defense rows), so this math is for my sake as well.

Edit: ooh, second row creator's only 120000, not 160000. Recalculated above figures based on that. I've put my second row immediately above the first, and the row names are now "WE MUST PUSH" and "LITTLE CART!", respectively.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

I don't think those tiers listed in the OP are accurate. IMXP, *anyone* without 4a/6d is food. I'm bucking the trend by purposely sitting at 3a/5d to avoid being hit by any high-end people who might be cruising around. I'm really thinking, though, that I may just want to jump up to 7a myself, as there are a bunch of 4a guys just around me who would be *really* juicy. I just bought my first row-creator, so I'll spawn a child to continue farming the low-level guys in the next day or so.

Maybe the game is harder in more active areas? I started the game and bought some factories, idled for a few hours, then came back that evening and used my accumulated money/fuel to decimate everyone around me. This immediately bootstrapped me into my current level.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

thing12347

Postby thing12347 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

Is anyone on shard 1?
I was thinking of making an xkcd clique if there were other people intrested.
I'm row 120 and 135.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 pm UTC

thing12347 wrote:Is anyone on shard 1?
I'm row 120 and 135.

sure - how do you make a clique?

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:38 pm UTC

If anyone's on Shard 3, I'd be happy to join up in a clique. I'm in the early 2400s, name of Xanthir. I'm a day or two from being a predator of farmers, woo!

Edit: Man, my child row has become much more successful than my main row. T_T Seems like I picked a *great* place for it to grow up. Despite it still being a farmer (4a6d) it actually completed its first hunt this morning. My main row hasn't hunted yet! I'm so proud. ^_^ The guy I hit has been decimated in the meantime. He's a freaking honeypot, with 11money and 13fuel factories going. Since he's now under 300 defenders, the rest of us'll drain him down to 0 soon enough. As someone in their forums said, being high level is still all about farming, you're just using better crops.

Edit2 to avoid doubleposting: Ohmanohmanohman. There's this *huge* honeypot sitting 12 rows from me that I somehow never noticed. Everything being equal, you need at least 1 defender for every 20 money to make attacks on your unprofitable. Given that your attackers are usually higher level, in practice this is usually 1 defender per 12 money or so. This guy, somehow, has *80* money for each defender. He's an incredibly juicy target, and I have no idea why he hasn't been hit yet. There's an extraordinarily strong farmer row just a few rows from him, which could easily take advantage of this guy.

The only thing stopping me from hitting him is fuel, dammit. I can't send off enough troops to make an attack profitable quite yet (I'll only force about a k through his defenses, which means I'll only score about 20k and lose about 60k worth of troops doing it). I just have to hold off for a bit and hope that nobody strikes him before I can throw my entire force at him. When I can do so (in about 2 hours) I'll loot enough to replace the lost troops and *more* than replace my spent fuel, then I can start draining him in earnest (as he'll have less troops, which means more of mine get through for looting, and I have to spend less of the loot to replace troops). I really really hope this goes through.

Now I wish I had more child rows to feed my hunter. >_<
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 am UTC

Well, it took me over a week, but I've managed to build up quite an empire on Shard 4, consisting of seven rows across 2500-4000 (plus one row creator; currently looking for a good piece of real estate to take up). [Edit: Never mind, used it.]
Last edited by Poochy on Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:55 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Durinthal

Postby Durinthal » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

I'm in for a clique. I have rows 1508-1512 on shard 4.

Amusingly, I can string together my row names to make longer phrases since they're contiguous. Right now it's a few Team Fortress 2 quotes.

Playing around with the database dump (one of the files on the discussion group) to get statistics is fun too. For example, there are more than 200 people with three or more rows on shard 4. Hopefully it'll be updated automatically in the future.

crucialityfactor
Ry-Ry

Postby crucialityfactor » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:
thing12347 wrote:Is anyone on shard 1?
I'm row 120 and 135.

sure - how do you make a clique?

I'm on Shard 1 row 3414...

Guff

Postby Guff » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:01 pm UTC

I love this thing. Guff on shard 1, with rows 2780, 2798, 2810, 2820, 2830, 2840, 2860 (original row; currently most powerful), 2870, 2882, and 2883. The outreach of the Guff Empire spreads like a cancer.

At this point, though, they're mostly all just lower level deals, so I can scavenge off abandoned rows nearby. And I've deleted somewhere around 25-30 rows since there's been any vulnerable to deletion.

Poochy

Postby Poochy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Just to brag this time...
UPDATE rows SET row_creators = row_creators+1, money = money - 4613203 WHERE row_id = 3354

This is on Shard 3, by the way. Now where should I place that new, 12th row?
clintonius wrote:"You like that, RIAA? Yeah, the law burns, doesn't it?"
GENERATION 63,728,127: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and divide the generation number by 2 if it's even, or multiply it by 3 then add 1 if it's odd. Social experiment.

Return to “Gaming”