Yume Nikki

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Stief

Yume Nikki

Postby Stief » Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

Yume Nikki...more like Yume trippy more like, amirite? :roll:

But seriously, I saw some fan art for this on a forum, it looked freaky, and with me being a fan of all things strange decided to delve further...

it's extremely weird...some people have said its like Eraserhead: the game...sure, it's nothing to do with Eraserhead, but it is VERY surreal

just to get some background on it

random blogger wrote:In Yume Nikki (Dream Diary), you're cast as a young girl living in a small apartment. There is very little to do in your room, but fall asleep and an entire dream world is yours to explore. The Z key can be used to interact or gain new effects. Certain locations beyond each door may yield more than one effect for the player to discover. Press 9 to wake yourself up. Use the desk in the room to save your progress, and hold the escape key for more than two seconds to exit the NASU console game.

Acquiring the bicycle, lamp and knife should be at the top of your list, as these items will double your character's speed, light up dark areas and allow basic attack moves to be executed. Nearly all locations are wrapped around, hence walking in one direction endlessly will always bring you back to the starting point.

Here are some screenshots from when I've been playing;
Spoiler:
YUME NIKKI ROOM.jpg
YUME NIKKI ROOM.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

the room you are stuck in whilst awake...
YUME NIKKI Balcony.jpg
YUME NIKKI Balcony.jpg (31.68 KiB) Viewed 3139 times

Well, you can go out onto the balcony, but that's about it
YUME NIKKI NOOO.jpg
YUME NIKKI NOOO.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

One of the many trippy backgrounds
Yume nikki door room.jpg
Yume nikki door room.jpg (25.74 KiB) Viewed 3134 times

the central area for accessing the different dreams
Yume nikki wtf.jpg
Yume nikki wtf.jpg (42.4 KiB) Viewed 3130 times

yet another screwy background

there's an English translation that's easily obtainable from a quick search in Google :D

I recommend playing this at least once, especially if you're a fan of Mother, as many people have likened this game to that :D

Links R Good - ST
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

EonDigital

Re: Yume Nikki

Postby EonDigital » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

This game was epic.
Really bizarre, but the ending was the most depressing I've ever seen in a videogame.

Worth checking out for the game play and the style. But don't if you're easily depressed.

As with any game, I recommend not following any guides, but actually trying to find stuff on your own.
Changes the feel of the game drastically if you don't get items in the order they recommend you do.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:04 am UTC

I loved Yume Nikki when I first played it. I feel like if someone recommended it to me I would have not been able to appreciate it the same way. It had this enigmatic charm that only comes from things that you find on your own in the middle of the night because even though the game is kind of strange, there's really nothing to it apart from your personal interpretation and only goes as far as your curiosity.

I became immersed in the game immediately when I started playing it, but looking back on it now and comparing it to the other fan games made in a similar vein, I can't go back to it anymore. I prefer .flow and Yume 2kki. Yume 2kki in particular takes everything Yume Nikki did and makes it better. The character in that game has a console with more than a couple playable games, the world is constantly being added to and there are collectibles you get in the form of pictures on your computer that you obtain by doing certain things that really gives you a sense of progress.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

Asmodieus wrote:I loved Yume Nikki when I first played it. I feel like if someone recommended it to me I would have not been able to appreciate it the same way. It had this enigmatic charm that only comes from things that you find on your own in the middle of the night because even though the game is kind of strange, there's really nothing to it apart from your personal interpretation and only goes as far as your curiosity.

I became immersed in the game immediately when I started playing it, but looking back on it now and comparing it to the other fan games made in a similar vein, I can't go back to it anymore. I prefer .flow and Yume 2kki. Yume 2kki in particular takes everything Yume Nikki did and makes it better. The character in that game has a console with more than a couple playable games, the world is constantly being added to and there are collectibles you get in the form of pictures on your computer that you obtain by doing certain things that really gives you a sense of progress.

i've played yume nikki, .flow, and yume 2kki and by far .flow is my favorite. it's so... weird. i remember my first time playing yume nikki and finding those weird eyeballs that scream and splatter blood, and it made me scream (it was 2 am where i was, in my defense). :D
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:22 pm UTC

.flow was definitely more immediate with the creepiness. It was a lot more violent than Yume Nikki which I thought was great, the violence also made a good contrast with the serene moments in the game.

I dunno if it was because I had already played Yume Nikki for a while so I already had a feel for exploration but when I played .flow I felt like it was a lot easier to find effects and events.

Favorite effect or effects from any of the games?

I think the bicycle goes without saying.

I really like the spacesuit from yume 2kki. I also liked viscera from .flow.
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

WilliamTheConqueror

Postby WilliamTheConqueror » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm UTC

My most favorite effect from .flow, aesthetically, is the Television effect. usefulness? broom.
addams wrote:Fucking Nature.

Tomlidich the second wrote:You cannot surgically graft enough middle fingers to my body to express how fed up I am with this.

Return to “Gaming”