You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Benitosimies

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

Hell yeah, we are all feeling the Volcano Love.

Fill it with engravings of legendary obsidian guitars (menacing with spikes of pig iron) and statues made out of fallen Bronze Colossuses.
хлэб и Воля

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:25 pm UTC

If only you could tell your dwarves what to engrave..

Seems I always end up with Masterwork Carvings of a Goat. With Dwarves. The Dwarves are with the Goat or something equally silly, and horrible crude practically chalk drawings of "Our Lord Vjaha Odjgna as he single-handedly wrestles a hydra into submission with one hand, not even spilling a drop of his *Dwarf Ale* as he casually sips"

Or something like that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

One of the best carvings on an legendary artifacts was the following (I may not be remembering it exactly).
The (item) is carved with images of dwarves with dwarves
the Dwarves are working
the dwarves are working
the dwarf is alone. The dwarf looks dejected.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

I still remember my first artifact...

Alud Rith, 'The Brother of Bells', a Limestone idol wrote:This is a Limestone idol. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of Malachite. On the item is an image of dwarves in Limestone. The dwarves are laboring. On the item is an image of a Limestone idol in Malachite.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

AWESOME recursive artifacts!
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:26 am UTC

The donkey is making a plaintive gesture. The goblin is laughing.

The goblin is in a fetal position.

The goblin is shooting the dwarf.

The titan is making a plaintive gesture.

What the hell.
хлэб и Воля

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:17 am UTC

This was too epic to not share:

Usenakith Kulsimzadot, "Helpwrath the Superior Lobster," a basalt mug.

I love the name generator.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:23 am UTC

I modded my dwarfs to have dragon breath and BOY is that awsome :D

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm UTC

My miner went into a strange mood last night and took over my mason's workshop...

He made a floodgate.

A legendary artifact that is a floodgate.

Maybe I should pretend to set up a religion around it, and it holds back the waters of the unholy river of demons or something? *sigh* I was planning on making a waterfall, anyway...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:53 pm UTC

Does its holiness menace with spikes of cat leather?
хлэб и Воля

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:20 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:I love the name generator.

I settled the fort of Anustower once.

Also, after a long series of events I don't feel like recounting right now, I have created an unstoppable defense system. I call it the Sucks-to-be-you-atron 9001

At first, it appears to be a normal entrance, guarded by normal traps. Until you pull the lever (which was appropriately created from artifact mechanisms). When that happens...
SMOOSH

After about three nearly simultaneous sieges, the goblins got the idea, and I haven't seen them in almost two years.

Edit: After another seige and a hydra attack, it seems the whole thing was a waste. Most creatures have trouble surviving 30 simultaneous serrated disc attacks, I guess.
Last edited by Kag on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:57 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

So, I abandoned my fortress in the obsidian mountain range, and searched or a volcano. Found it. And then found out there was an aquifer there as well. Which isn't nearly as awesome, but luckily the volcano actually helped.

So, yeah, now I have a staircase running down the side of a volcano. I've finally found rock. now I can make doors!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:19 pm UTC

My waterfall didn't work (I managed to collapse the cavern, somehow...). Trying a second one now... much simpler design this time, and no potential to flood the entire planet...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:22 pm UTC

So I really don't understand this game much, but it's interesting to experiment. I got some guy to chop down all the trees in a half-mile radius, another to dig into the side of a mountain and another to dig a channel from what I thought was the lake I had put my fortress next to, but the channel doesn't seem to be filling with water. Then again, when I "look" at it it just says "Empty space". So what does water look like? Is it two dark blue tildes? Because then I have no idea what those light blue blocks were...

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:35 pm UTC

Argh. My computer is too crappy to play this game. :(

thecommabandit wrote:So I really don't understand this game much, but it's interesting to experiment. I got some guy to chop down all the trees in a half-mile radius, another to dig into the side of a mountain and another to dig a channel from what I thought was the lake I had put my fortress next to, but the channel doesn't seem to be filling with water. Then again, when I "look" at it it just says "Empty space". So what does water look like? Is it two dark blue tildes? Because then I have no idea what those light blue blocks were...

Judging from the fact that the channel didn't fill, I'd say you were one z-level too high.
The top of your channel can be, at most, one level above the liguid. So, the highest you could dig it is on level with the top of the water (because channels dig into to the z-level below).

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 am UTC

When you create a channel, it digs out the floor of the channeled tile, so it will always produce the 'empty space' result you got. Try looking one level down and see what you dug up. Tyrant's diagnosis is almost certainly correct. Look at the lake, and see if it says 'empty space' on the same z-level you channeled on. If so, look down until you find a level which is some kind of water [7/7], and channel on that level.

Also important, water can flow up and pressurize (and flows infinitely from moving sources). When working with water, plan every step before you do anything, or you could accidentally flood the universe.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:15 am UTC

Hello DF, Goodbye schoolwork
=]

Snoof

Postby Snoof » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:37 am UTC

Kag wrote:Also important, water can flow up and pressurize (and flows infinitely from moving sources). When working with water, plan every step before you do anything, or you could accidentally flood the universe.

Not the entire universe. Just those regions of it which are at the same altitude or lower than the original water source providing the pressure.

Of course, if you were to, say, build a Pumping Tower (powered by a Perpetual Motion Machine, of course) carrying water to the top of a mountain, and then let it flow freely downwards, you could flood a lot more of the world that way.

In fact, now that magma vents are infinite again, one could engineer a Boatmurdered-esque Magma Doomsday Device. Hmmm... :twisted:
If I had a signature, you wouldn't be reading this.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

Kag wrote:When you create a channel, it digs out the floor of the channeled tile, so it will always produce the 'empty space' result you got. Try looking one level down and see what you dug up. Tyrant's diagnosis is almost certainly correct. Look at the lake, and see if it says 'empty space' on the same z-level you channeled on. If so, look down until you find a level which is some kind of water [7/7], and channel on that level.

Also important, water can flow up and pressurize (and flows infinitely from moving sources). When working with water, plan every step before you do anything, or you could accidentally flood the universe.

For the sake of the well-being of the universe, I'll be very careful with the water.

Noobish question: How do I change which z-level I'm looking at?

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:14 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:Noobish question: How do I change which z-level I'm looking at?

< and > change the z-level.

You'll probably want to read about z-levels on the wiki, especially if you're going to make a fortress that spans multiple levels.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Man magma takes forever to flow. I decided to site my fortress near the sand instead of the magma vent, and it was around a year before the magma crossed the tunnel I dug to my fortress. But now the magma's here and everything is running smoothly.

I really wish I had started using traps before now; they are very useful. A corridor of stone-fall traps will keep you far safer than hoping goblins won't show up :P

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 pm UTC

The Sleeping Tyrant wrote:
thecommabandit wrote:Noobish question: How do I change which z-level I'm looking at?

< and > change the z-level.

You'll probably want to read about z-levels on the wiki, especially if you're going to make a fortress that spans multiple levels.

yes and hit "esc" if you want to change which keys you hit to do what

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:07 pm UTC

So I started a new fortress near a magma vent. Nifty.

*digs out a little bit*

*loses hunter to gorilla*

*sighs and digs some more, gets past aquifer thanks to the obsidian*

*loses miner to Magma Man*

WTF.

It's like a fiery Zeus that shoots fireballs instead of lightning! What the HELL was I supposed to do about that? I didn't even know it was THERE!

-X

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:*loses miner to Magma Man*

WTF.

It's like a fiery Zeus that shoots fireballs instead of lightning! What the HELL was I supposed to do about that? I didn't even know it was THERE!

Fortifications might be what you want.

From the talk page:
Can water or magma flow through fortifications?--Javiskefka 03:45, 29 November 2007 (EST)

Yes. I use this all the time to keep the pesky fire imps out of my magma channels. --Valdemar 21:12, 5 January 2008 (EST)

I did so, too. But after some time the magma melted the fortification away and the imps could pass through unhindered again.--Doub 13:42, 12 March 2007 (EST)

Use bauxite. --Koltom 01:20, 14 March 2008 (EDT)

And,

50 Idlers, Kag?
хлэб и Воля

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Too many useless farming profession guys and peasants. Also, I haven't gotten around to building extra workshops, so all the non-legendary carpenters and crafters have their jobs turned off.

At least they keep the engravers busy with all those bedrooms.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:39 am UTC

How Stuff Doesn't Work:

I regenerated that same map, settled in the same place, and my hunter got beat up by a gorilla again. Go figure. So he's laying there, heavily wounded, and bleeding. For MONTHS.

Aren't people supposed to come help? I even moved the Meeting Area zone on TOP OF HIM, and people were standing around AND ON him, just sitting there, as if they were saying "That thar guy seems ta be bleedin' a lot, Bob."

What.

-X

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:45 am UTC

Yeah, health care's still buggy. Make sure you have a barracks, some buckets, and a water source. That's about all you can do.

Known specific problem with health care:

If they have a mangled limb, and their job is set to 'no job' instead of 'rest', you have to destroy their bed and rebuild it (like one tile over).

Also I hear that drafting and undrafting someone resets healthcare but that is sort of spurious.

There's probably some way to cheat and change some files around to give them no wounds also.

EDIT: Also, don't have any friggin hunters. Just draft those dwarves to be marksdwarves. Set up cage traps if you really want gorilla meat.
хлэб и Воля

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

I usually start with two useless admin guys.. one's my Broker for tradin', the other's my Clerk for countin'.. anyway, those two assholes have no other job on the list outside of Healthcare.

EVENTUALLY they get off their fat rumps and take care of Bob. Eventually.

That's why they're assholes.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:23 pm UTC

My starting group lately has been this:

Miner

Woodcutter

Carpenter/Building Designer

Mason/Building Designer

Cook/Butcher/Brewer

Grower

Ambusher/Marksdwarf

And then I change out the items so I have one pick and one axe instead of two, and bring a crossbow. I also bring along two cats and two war dogs, and assign the war dogs to the hunter.

Also, building a tower instead of living underground is tedious, to say the least (especially when only using obsidian). But it looks cool.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

I love building stuff aboveground (pyramids ftw), but I hate that you can't engrave built walls and floors. Since engraving is so easy and so useful, it makes it so much worse to live aboveground.

Oooh. I should build one near a magma vent with a giant magma moat (why build a tower when you can dig a tower!).

My general starting build is:
Miner/Judge of intent/Appraiser/Social
Miner/Mason
Miner/Engraver
Mechanic/Building Designer
Woodcutter/Carpenter
Grower
Brewer/Cook

So far my fortress planning is to have a sand layer with farms/stockpiles/workshops, maybe another layer or two of workshops, and then rooms centered around a central stairwell (starting on the highest-value layer), with a giant dining room in the middle layer of the highest-value layers. I think I need to start having multiple stairs in the stairwell (since it's the highest-traffic area).

[edit]
Behind the spoiler tag is my old room design and the new one I'm considering. I like the centrality of the first one more, but it wastes a lot of space (you can make hallways and use the four spots in each corner, but then you lose the benefit of having a central corridor). Comments?
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

OOOOOOOOOOO
        O   O O   O
        O   D D   O
        O   O O   O
        OOOOO OOOOO
        O   O O   O
        O   O O   O
        O   D D   O
OOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO
O   O   O   O O   O   O   O
OODOOOODOOOOD DOOOODOOOODOO
O            X            O
OODOOOODOOOOD DOOOODOOOODOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOO
        O   D D   O
        O   O O   O
        O   O O   O
        OOOOO OOOOO
        O   O O   O
        O   D D   O
        O   O O   O
        OOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
O   O   O   O   O   O   O
OOOODOOODOOOOOOODOOODOOOO
O   O X O   O   O X O   O
O   O X O   O   O X O   O

[/edit]

My experiences with trade have been eh. It's useful for using up dwarf-time (troublesome early on, useful once you have dwarves coming out the wazoo) and excess stone, but the merchants rarely if ever have useful things (pretty much the only thing I buy from them is an anvil and then gems and platinum/steel bars), and once you have a legendary craftsdwarf you can buy pretty much everything useful the merchants have with two bins of goods (and make ten bins of goods in between merchant arrivals). I suppose you could buy wood from them- but now you're just trading a woodcutter for a craftsdwarf (but making it easier to stay indoors all the time). Is there something to buy from them that I'm missing? Should I just start donating my trash to merchants? (Take our stone crafts- please)
Last edited by Vaniver on Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

I always buy meat from venders early on, not because I need the meat but having variety is nice.
Last time I played, I also had to buy cloth from them, as I didn't have any pigtails to make my own cloth for bags.

The way I see it, you use your craft dwarves to make random shit like mugs, toys, and instruments, and then you sell them to saps uh... traders for random nice things. I mean, meat is always useful. Gems are nice, as are metals you can't mine. If you don't have wood in your starting area, you can use that. If you do, well, yeah.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:20 pm UTC

I tend to have more marvelously prepared meals than my dwarves can ever eat, just starting out with a 5x5 plot of plump helmets and a 2x5 plot of rock bushes (and then another 2x5 plot of pig tails to support my textile industry), so buying meat just gives me more clutter (and my dwarves are already happy enough to not need me pandering to their individual tastes).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

From the Elves, at least, you can get more exotic pets.. cougars and the like. It's always nice to have Cougar guards. I mean, best guard animals I've found were a Tiger/Cheetah combo.. Cheetah'd chase down whatever and knock it on it's ass, Tiger would come strolling up and basically eat it. Rinse, repeat. Didn't worry about snatchers or thieves at all after that.

Humans and Dwarves are a good way to get metals you don't have in quantity for whatever.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

Hmm, maybe buying meat isn't a great idea.
When I read this thread I get a hankering, but when I get home, it usually goes away. My current fortress is pretty crappy and I need to work on it. (first year)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Eh, the way I see it, if you trade stone crafts for meat, you're removing a resource that you have in abundance (and semi-infinite) for a resource that's finite and fairly quickly removable via eating/cooking or whatever.

In short, you're reducing the total number of objects the game has to care about. That's always a good thing.

As far as the economics go... it's stone crafts, they're practically free anyway. That someone would trade you 5 units of horse meat for a friggen stone ring is glorious by itself.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

And how.
"What? 30(units) for this piece of garbage? what a suck- I mean here you go! enjoy!!"

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 pm UTC

What I trade for when the fortress is hellishly wealthy:

Cages (for cage traps)
Steel bars
Charcoal
Bituminous Coal (I always have a fuel crisis if I don't have magma)
Food & Drink
Serrated Disks
Gold bars, Copper bars, Silver bars
Animals of all kinds
Everything except crafts

Ask for lots.
хлэб и Воля

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

As far as I know, the only thing you absolutely cannot buy from merchants is adamantine (although I don't remember ever seeing steel, so some things are probably rarer than others), which means that they are not only a great way to get something out of useless goblin lootz/rock crafts, but you can get some neat stuff in the process, such as, as SecondTalon so wisely pointed out, a friggin' cheetah.

Awesome, even if you do have to deal with sandal wearing hippies elves.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 pm UTC

Stupid elves "Oh we won't take anything made of wood, even though we only sell wooden crap".
Jerks.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:32 pm UTC

Kag wrote:As far as I know, the only thing you absolutely cannot buy from merchants is adamantine (although I don't remember ever seeing steel, so some things are probably rarer than others)
I've bought a lot of steel; you primarily get it through weapons/armor you then melt down. The wiki claims they never sell glass.

Return to “Gaming”