You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 pm UTC

You could grow cloth...

But while you won't get goblins attacking, you will get mega beasts. You still need a decent military or series of traps

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm UTC

My fortress was attacked by a dragon once. I had read on the DF wiki that dragons are pretty ferocious and terribly destructive. As soon as it appeared on the map and I received a warning, I had all my dwarfs hide inside. An elven caravan was present in my fort, so I had to wall them inside with my dwarfs by using a drawbridge I had the foresight to make. I had a terrible military and only some of the most basic traps. I hoped that it would just walk by my fortress harmlessly like so many animals had before. But it navigated straight into the entrance to my fortress just like a caravan would.
Then it walked into a rock trap and was killed by a single rock falling on its head. It was quite an anticlimax. So much for dragons being ferocious. Maybe it was young or something.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm UTC

There's much I still don't know about, and growing cloth is one of them. That, minecarts, breeding animals that would produce milk/cheese/leather, pressure plates. I have a habit of either robbing the caravans or trading for stuff in bulk. It's just easier to steal trade for 20 bins of cloth or leather than it is to make that much. So that's what I typically end up doing. No elves will be coming to visit, so I'll be shorter on cloth and wood than normal, but I should be able to manage. Worst case scenario I just learn how to grow it I guess.

I'll fill that moat with the volcano nearby and probably push that part of the cliff further away from my fort, as right now I think, even without ramps, it might be possible to get in from the upper cliff on the right
Last edited by Mishrak on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

Do you want to know something funny about dragons? They are immune to dragonfire, which makes them think they are immune to magma too. They're not, which can lead to pretty... anticlimactic results, too!

Trading: "Hey guys I'd like 20 bins of cloth. In exchange, here's a really awesome biscuit."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:04 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:Do you want to know something funny about dragons? They are immune to dragonfire, which makes them think they are immune to magma too. They're not, which can lead to pretty... anticlimactic results, too!

Trading: "Hey guys I'd like 20 bins of cloth. In exchange, here's a really awesome biscuit."

The cheapest I could find cloth online was $3.50 a yard, and apparently there's 100 yards in a bolt, so $350 for a bolt of it.

And.. yeah, there are restaurants and such where someone dropping $350 per person is totally a thing. I don't know if there are places where $7000 a person is a thing, though.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 pm UTC

If I can get enough sand together for glass, I want to make a magma filled glass pipe(s) that the dwarves can look at and that runs through the fort. Will they get a happy thought from that? Or is that just a disaster waiting to happen?
Last edited by Mishrak on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:And.. yeah, there are c v such where someone dropping $350 per person is totally a thing. I don't know if there are places where $7000 a person is a thing, though.

You obviously hang around the wrong circles then, pleb. You need to demand the best from your underlings; I told my peons to make 30 aluminum rings, and when they could only make 26 I had the lazy smith executed. Just because he forged Stabsmithed the Steel Spear he thought he could slack off! And now, to keep me happy they built me this special room! I wonder what this lever does...

qmdqwd

Postby qmdqwd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:58 am UTC

The first time I played this game it was the old version, 2D. I never got into it. I found it boring and too complex. Curiously enough, when I tried out the 3D version I was sucked into it. I spent a week playing it, rejoicing when the new version with some bugs (well crash anyone?) was released.[url][/url]
I stopped playing after realizing how slow everything was, a game-year took entire afternoons to be played. My old computer was the one to blame, but now that I have a new one, I'm too lazy to download it again.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:20 am UTC

Mishrak wrote:If I can get enough sand together for glass, I want to make a magma filled glass pipe(s) that the dwarves can look at and that runs through the fort. Will they get a happy thought from that? Or is that just a disaster waiting to happen?

no and yes, but that shouldn't stop you.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

I bailed on the island volcano because it was lacking sand, at least where I had embarked. I started a new volcano one, this time on the mainland where I can get goblin sieges. I literally have walls of native obsidian which is a first for me. I also have hematite(iron), native gold, aluminum which I just found while digging a magma trench for forges, and other lesser metals like tetrahedrite and galena. It also has a boatload of yellow sand, so glass will be abundant. This is shaping up to be one of the better embarks I've ever had. The only thing that's missing is it's not on an evil biome. I had previously tried the same embark but with a 3x7. It was far too laggy so I dropped it down to a 4x4 which is easier on my machine. That 3x7 had a ton of wildlife which I'm sad to give up.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:34 am UTC

Could anyone summarize the recent additions to DF? Patch notes and dev logs don't really help me understand the new big things that have been added since I've not played.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:45 am UTC

Last update was half a year ago, with a bunch of fixes for the main update as bugs were uncovered. Basically it was minecarts, stockpile settings (able to link workshops to only take from specific stockpiles, and so forth), ability to set designations on multiple z-levels, a few new monsters including a short-lived king of beast Giant Mosquito (single one an even match for a dwarf, but arrived by the hundreds before twerking), different types of cut gems (vendor trash or encrusting, just aesthetics), natural water has ramps so dwarves can climb out, bug fixes.

New update will have giant trees and non-human towns for your adventurer. Looking forward to embarking in a redwood forest.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:04 am UTC

So I just started fooling around with this game- what do you guys recommend tileset-wise?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:16 am UTC

IcedT wrote:So I just started fooling around with this game- what do you guys recommend tileset-wise?

I always felt the one that came with the lazy newb pack was pretty okay.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:26 pm UTC

I personally like the Ironhand tileset that comes with the lazy newb pack. Phoebeus looks good too. I think I just got used to Ironhand first which is why I prefer it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:17 am UTC

Tileset? I like curses_square 16x16 or whatever it's called, but the default is fine too.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:16 am UTC

So I've been reading the wiki and I've got a functional fortress up and running, but the further I go into this game, the more I wonder- how much of this can I end up automating? As in, if I need to make a batch of axes, I don't want to manually produce ash, then dig ore out of my stockpile, then have somebody make the metal, then have somebody forge the actual axes. I was hoping the manager would streamline these things- get dwarves to make the inputs for the things I order- but I keep running out of basic materials like logs and potash. How much micro is this gonna be?

icanus

Postby icanus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 am UTC

IcedT wrote:So I've been reading the wiki and I've got a functional fortress up and running, but the further I go into this game, the more I wonder- how much of this can I end up automating?

I've recently started using DFHack, which includes a plugin called workflow that allows you to set up a constant stock level, and re-enables jobs automatically whenever your stock drops below the threshold. It's a bit of a pain to get set up as you have to enter the name of each item as it appears in the game's Raw files, and for something like axes you'd need to set a quota for each of the stages of production, but there's plenty of threads on the bay12 forum detailing how to set up a quota for a specific item and once it's done you can just forget about it and always have a spare axe on hand so long as you have the raw materials.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 pm UTC

It is a lot of micro. However, if you play it enough, you'll get to where it's second nature. Hopefully at some point Toady will make it a bit easier to manage, but for now at least, it is a lot of micro.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:46 am UTC

I kinda got mad at my dwarves and unleashed a cyclops on them. It ripped them to shreds and was very fun to watch. I also flooded a level with magma. Learned a lot about pump stacks and power plants from this one though!
Spoiler:

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:58 am UTC

the most amusing part of that is that the cyclops can hit a dwarf with a cloth hat hard enough to sever their spinal cord.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm UTC

Just started digging down to lava in my newest embark and found that I had an extremely deep 2nd cavern (not actually sure if it's 2nd or 3rd because it's so big). In fact, so far it's 82 Z-levels deep from what I've found. Dunno how that compares, but I've not read anywhere about a cavern with more Z levels than that.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

They can definitely get really really deep. It would be interesting to go cave diving and see what's in there. Just make sure it's access point is sealed off, or at least controlled, from the rest of your fort in case things get out of hand :) Maybe you'll find a GCS and get lotsa webs!

New User

Postby New User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:17 pm UTC

Maybe you happened to find one of those vertical pits? It's like a vertical shaft that connects one cave level to another. They can be extremely deep.
I recommend throwing a pet down there to scout it out, so you don't risk a dwarf.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:26 pm UTC

In real life, I love cats.

In Dwarf Fortress, they're gravity scouts. Especially females.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

Is it wrong that I giggle like a little girl when my upright training spear traps in my danger rooms vaporize the cats in my fort?

I don't think it is.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:00 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Is it wrong that I giggle like a little girl when my upright training spear traps in my danger rooms vaporize the cats in my fort?

I don't think it is.

If you want maximum cruelty, I recommand lighly dousing wooden goblin cages with magma. Then you can watch them crawl in their own melted fat.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:53 pm UTC

That's just wrong!

(goes off to make a magma faucet)

Grishnakh

Postby Grishnakh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:49 pm UTC

Remember not to assign squads with female dwarves to your danger rooms.

My danger room is overflowing with dwarven baby blood, and I now have a very unhappy Macelord in my fortress. I'd be unhappy too, if my baby got impaled with ten wooden spears while I was holding it.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm UTC

The first time I made one, it took me awhile to realize why they were dying randomly. Only after I nearly had a tantrum spiral did I realize what was going on. Also, I had a dwarf literally get stuck in an infinite loop of attempting to haul a corpse to a coffin, realize the corpse is in the traps and giving a cancellation error, only to repeat the process and run around in this hilarious little loop in the tomb. That one took me awhile to figure out too. Turning off the traps and dumping the corpse fixed that one.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

I'd be more upset at losing a few babies if they removed the immigrants, like we all want. Seriously, I want a game where I watch as my previous dwarves grow, make friends, live, love, lose their brother to an infected toenail, get angry and enter a dell mood, murder my legendary armorsmith to make Glasbroken, an artifact mug engraved with images of my armorsmiths murder, etc. Granted that you don't want a tantrum spiral, but those tend to happen to me only when I send early military dwarves to defend my fort before I get my traps properly set up, if the world is more than 5 yrs old (otherwise they are all family). The loss of half my military sends the rest into a rage, and you get the idea.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:23 pm UTC

My first successful fort was primarily successful because I basically never got attacked. Even the forgotten beasts seemed uninterested until I sent down a crew who got half way down the main shaft to be met by the forgotten beast who suddenly decided to play.
First one person got webbed, then someone happened to be going past and got webbed too... then some people went to help and got webbed... then the war dogs went near and got webbed. The problem was, anyone nearby got webbed, so my only option was to mine out behind him and attack him from the back while 20+ other dwarfs were webbed in front of him. That was a real mess.
Mined down an adamantine vein and even then nothing came out for 2 years. So I decided to try drain the magma sea into it, although the eerie pits swallow it up and only areas with magma not touching the edge can be drained easily.
Anyway, ended up with 268 dwarfs on that, but nothing to do really. There's no iron on the map and not much metal (probably should have paid attention to the biome), but enough adamantine for at least a load of sets. Might go back to it an try an underworld fort.

On my latest embark: Going down a 82 floor cavern... (Thumbnail view kinda screws up the near-blacks)
Attachments
down.gif

Erebos

Postby Erebos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Hi there — long time lurker, first time poster; Got into dwarf fortress back in 40d, got frustrated with the, then new, hospital system and now feel like I should try my hand at this monster of a game again.

Problem is: Having installed DF via the nektoo overlay for gentoo on a fairly decent machine (Thinkpad X220, i7, 4 GiB RAM) it just quits whenever I try to embark (i.e.: enter fortress mode proper).
Has this happened to anybody else or is there anything I might have overlooked?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:57 pm UTC

Is it a completely fresh, unmodded install? Or are you using LNP? I've seen people who have issues with LNP, although I know nothing about installing it on linux.

Erebos

Postby Erebos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:28 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Is it a completely fresh, unmodded install? Or are you using LNP? I've seen people who have issues with LNP, although I know nothing about installing it on linux.

My version is freshly built from the sources available as ‘df_34_11_linux.tar.bz2’.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:49 pm UTC

Erebos wrote:
Mishrak wrote:Is it a completely fresh, unmodded install? Or are you using LNP? I've seen people who have issues with LNP, although I know nothing about installing it on linux.

My version is freshly built from the sources available as ‘df_34_11_linux.tar.bz2’.

Do you get an error message if you run it in console?

Erebos

Postby Erebos » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:56 pm UTC

Menacing Spike wrote:
Spoiler:
Erebos wrote:

Do you get an error message if you run it in console?

Trying to reproduce the problem to capture some output for you (I didn’t get any but wanted to make sure) revealed that the game mysteriously started working.

All I did in the meantime was reboot and upgrade my kernel…

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:18 pm UTC

Erebos wrote:the game mysteriously started working.

Well, I'm just that good with computers.

lorb

Postby lorb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 pm UTC

Erebos wrote:

Those are not sources. DF is not open source.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

Erebos

Postby Erebos » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:09 pm UTC

lorb wrote:
Erebos wrote:
Spoiler:

Those are not sources. DF is not open source.

I looked into the .tar.bz2 in question more closely — you are indeed right.
The existance and content of g_src had me fooled.

Return to “Gaming”