You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

RetSpline

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby RetSpline » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:48 am UTC

Ooh! That's better than a moat: a moat full of undead!

frogman

Postby frogman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:08 am UTC

I'm just starting to "get into Dwarf Fortress" and I'm liking it. I've built a fortress that is really probably quite crappy, but at least it functions well. One thing that annoys me: all of the idlers! I can't think up jobs for all of these "Glassworkers" and "Bonecrafters" or whatever to do. I've turned my peasants into recruits, but they haven't had any time to do anything interesting yet.

Also: if I upgrade my dwarf fortress to a more recent version, will I keep my save files?
yeah yeah yeah

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 am UTC

frogman wrote:I'm just starting to "get into Dwarf Fortress" and I'm liking it. I've built a fortress that is really probably quite crappy, but at least it functions well. One thing that annoys me: all of the idlers! I can't think up jobs for all of these "Glassworkers" and "Bonecrafters" or whatever to do. I've turned my peasants into recruits, but they haven't had any time to do anything interesting yet.

Also: if I upgrade my dwarf fortress to a more recent version, will I keep my save files?

I'm pretty new, too. Up till now most of my forts have just been experiments, and my dwarves just doomed biomass I was using to learn stuff. :)

One thing is, you can assign dwarves jobs other then what they arrive with. If you have umpteen soap makers, you can assign them other tasks, remove soapmaking from their "to do" list, and they will (eventually) get around to whatever you assigned them, assuming the job is available.*

*No matter how many dwarves you assign to a task, such as metalsmithing, they will not do it if it cannot be done; i.e., no metal for the smiths to use.

RetSpline wrote: Ooh! That's better than a moat: a moat full of undead!

True, but in an evil biome (especially a terrifying one) a moat of uncontrolled undead would not do you too much good until you started having sieges and whatnot; undead don't fight each other that I have seen.
Last edited by SummerGlauFan on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

rat4000
r/ratsgonewild

Postby rat4000 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:48 pm UTC

Hey guys, I got the game to work.

Now I have my first fortress in a calm environment with loads and loads of lignite, loads of wood, loads of sand and, as of now, no iron ores.

So here's what I'm doing. I made my guys (16 as of now) some nice bedrooms (like, the whole bedroom floor is engraved, though not all that well engraved), made them a smoothed dining hall/meeting hall which is underground and smoothed and has a well. I also started them making clothes and meals and stonecrafts. Right now I'm also starting a fledgling glass industry (this meaning that I have a furnace and several bags of sand).

Question: what should I do next? This seems to be pretty much everything I need for a fine fortress. I intend to wait for the next wave of migrants to start my military, then make my defenses way bigger and sturdier (my defenses are currently an empty moat and a drawbridge) and also start making tons of glass to export. Also make an outdoors meeting hall on the highest z-level that has land on it, or maybe even on a tower.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:49 pm UTC

Sounds like you have a pretty good start. The stone crafts and glass will help you alot with the caravans.

As for what you should do: anything you like!
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Sounds like you have a pretty good start. The stone crafts and glass will help you alot with the caravans.

As for what you should do: anything you like have fun!

Alternatively, build an above-ground city with a tall dam, then break the dam, flooding it and destroying everything.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

aliosha

Postby aliosha » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:27 pm UTC

Build a tower at least 10 z-levels high with a team of 20 masons, then turn them into miners and strip-mine the map. By that time you'll have nobles, which will be great fun.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:25 am UTC

How do you get your crossbow dwarves to practice at an archery range? Do you put them on break or something?
yeah yeah yeah

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:38 am UTC

frogman wrote:How do you get your crossbow dwarves to practice at an archery range? Do you put them on break or something?

Take them off duty through the military screen. If they have wooden or bone bolts (they will not practice with metal bolts), they'll practice. I think they actually will spend most of their time practicing.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:37 am UTC

Does anyone use graphics sets? I'm a decently advanced player (I don't do fractal space/efficiency-optimizing fortress layouts, but I can construct a remarkably efficient noble-smasher :D), and I just downloaded a set (well, actually, an entirely new program). Using it made me realize how well-designed the ASCII tileset is; the graphics seem very cluttered. On the other hand, this program operates at REELEE BEEG RESOLUTIONS, so there's a lot more info on the screen at once!

So... graphics sets. Good? Bad? Didn't know they existed? Inquiring dwarfs want to know!

EDIT: Note to self. Brackets after codey bits.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:33 pm UTC

I use that one you referenced. Never really got into the ASCii

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:03 pm UTC

Using the graphical tilesets makes my eyes hurt. They look cluttered, poorly drawn, and more often than not, fuzzy, as if somebody took a few random pixels from the icon, copied them, and scattered them on top of it like sprinkles on an ice cream. No, thanks. The ASCII is clean and sharp, and will never look out of place. There are at least a few instances where letters are reused in the ASCII simply by recoloring them, and although none are coming to mind, a fictional example of this situation under the other tilesets would be: "Ohh, look at the cute little kitt-OH GOD A DRAGON".

I just don't think I could deal with that.

I've been really absorbed into EVE lately, but if I keep reading this thread, I'm going to get back into DF, too...
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

icanus

Postby icanus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Using the graphical tilesets makes my eyes hurt. They look cluttered, poorly drawn, and more often than not, fuzzy, as if somebody took a few random pixels from the icon, copied them, and scattered them on top of it like sprinkles on an ice cream. No, thanks. The ASCII is clean and sharp, and will never look out of place. There are at least a few instances where letters are reused in the ASCII simply by recoloring them, and although none are coming to mind, a fictional example of this situation under the other tilesets would be: "Ohh, look at the cute little kitt-OH GOD A DRAGON".

I just don't think I could deal with that.

Creatures (almost?) all get their own tiles (at least in 40d11 onward), so with a graphics set (as distinct form a graphical tileset) a goblin isn't just a recoloured goat.

Terrain and other objects, on the other hand, do have a fair bit of tile sharing going on, which can be a bit confusing - in the set I'm using for example (mayday with a couple of tweaks of my own), male and female are denoted by a bag and an ankh. This resulted in me nearly starving my fortress by having a breeding stock of 10 dogs and one bitch and wondering why the puppies were so scarce for several years before I figured it out.

Guess it's just what you get used to - there's nothing inherently more confusing about remembering that bag=male in the 'v' menu than remembering male symbol=bag on the map.

annals

Postby annals » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I used to be a faithful ASCII user, but then I figured out how to make my own graphics and am having way too much fun drawing little 16x16 pixel creatures to stop. Besides, I play Nethack too, and after the first couple times starting up DF and going "OH SHIT COCKATRICE RUSH" on viewing my fortress' halls I decided enough was enough.

FACM

Postby FACM » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:23 pm UTC

So you know, you can change the resolution on ASCII mode [Your linked download isn't actually a separate program, It's just a zip file with graphics already installed and configured]. Go into data/init/init.txt and change the options there to boost your resolution.

The file itself suggests using the following for a larger game window:
[WINDOWEDX:1000]
[WINDOWEDY:600]
[FONT:curses_640x300.png]
[GRID:125:50]

but you can work out whatever resolution you need. Take your grid size, multiply the first number by 8 to get your X, and the second number by 12 to get your Y.

Ghavrel

Postby Ghavrel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:54 pm UTC

I guess I should have said that the file I linked to contains the Dwarf Fortress executable. The funny thing is that I just figured out how to change tiles shown after I posted. :lol:

Viewing my pride and joy fortress Plankchances with 5x5 tiles broke my pride a little bit. I don't have nearly enough towers.
"Si ad naturam vives, numquam eris pauper; si ad opiniones, numquam eris dives."
Live rightly and you shall never be poor; live for fame and you shall never have wealth.
~Epicurus, via Seneca

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 pm UTC

This game is taking up too much of mye time. I'm gonna do one last game of this version, going completely for strength, luxury, industry and general awesome, finally getting to the HFS that I have left untouched till now, and then that's it until the new version is out.

EDIT: OK, so that's why they call it "hidden FUN stuff". Although it was a rather amusing sight as well.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:14 pm UTC

So, I'm finally going to make a Rapture-style fortress. The question is, surround it with magma, or water? Magma is a lot more dwarfy- and I guess there will be fire imps and such floating around, which is more dwarfy than olmmen. The main benefit of water is that it'll fill faster, though- I can imagine it taking years for the magma to fill the valley the city will be in. As well, I'm going to need some water for a tower cap farm / actual farm- surrounding the city with water makes it possible to just have a floodgate on one of the towers, while magma means I'll need a cistern.

[edit]It would be really nice to be able to go in and change a dwarf's preferences. Someone who loves excellence, tower caps, and beds would be fantastic.

I'm not sure why I care much about beds, though- I don't think they make a significant change, and if you make the rooms big enough you can fill them with other things anyway. But there's something unsatisfying about having a bed that's only exceptional in a noble's room- which I guess is the point of gem decorations.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

Surround it with water. Then the Dwarves will actually be able to see things when they look outside, like devil-carp.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:53 pm UTC

Go Halfsies?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:22 am UTC

The pumps don't actually multiply water, they really do move it (whether or not the source they are drawing on regenerates is quite another story). They can, however, be used to generate infinite power.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:41 am UTC

There is a conveniently places underground river; but I wonder which squares it needs to actually survive. Time for Science!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Go Halfsies?

Top and bottom?
Cubes diagonal from each other?
Every other square?
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:Go Halfsies?

Top and bottom?
Cubes diagonal from each other?
Every other square?

I was figuring east/west or north/south, depending on the divide.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:43 am UTC

There's a pick on the ground that no one will use, and it's not forbidden. How do I give it to my miner?

Edit: Fuck. Less than 30 seconds after posting this, the little shit runs over and grabs it.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

To answer your question anyway - you don't give axes or picks to your workers. You have them available, and turn the job on the dwarf you want to do it. The dwarf will, if they decide to do the job, go get the proper equipment if they don't already have it.

So.. for example.. if you tell a Peasant to be a Miner, but don't actually have any mining jobs declared, the Peasant will never get assigned a mining job and will never check his or her equipment and see they're missing a pick, so they'll never go and pick up a pick to be a Miner. Same thing with Woodcutting.

Both of those things said, if you've screwed around with the weapon assignments, you may have kinda confused the dwarf and made it so they won't be able to wield the weapon. I believe most of the time, if you change the settings you also disable the job, and enabling the job will reset the settings.. most of the time.. but it also seems like I remember having a dwarf with the Mining job enabled who wasn't getting a pick because he had Hammers listed as his weapon of choice.

So, just to clear it up - all woodcutters need the Axe as their weapon, and all miners need to be Unarmed. In both cases, as far as chopping trees/mining rock goes, a copper implement works just as well as an adamantine one. There's no difference when used in work. If, however, the dwarf uses the implement in battle... that's where the material difference matters.

Same thing with crossbows - bone/wood crossbows/regular bows shoot just as hard as adamantine ones. The damage is determined by the ammunition fired. If the dwarf runs out of ammo, though, the adamantine crossbows make excellent makeshift hammers, while the bone/wood ones.. not so much. And yes, using a crossbow as a melee weapon counts as a Hammer, so make sure your marksdwarves spend some time in the sparring room with hammers, so they aren't completely boned if they run out of ammo and have something charging them.

..oh, and you *can* have Hunters wield weapons other than a crossbow. You *can* also flood your fortress with magma. Neither one is particularly smart.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:..oh, and you *can* have Hunters wield weapons other than a crossbow. You *can* also flood your fortress with magma. Neither one is particularly smart but can result in awesome. Losing is fun!

Fixed.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:40 pm UTC

I'm gonna play again, and this is the home I've found (see attachment).
Attachments
icehome.png
icehome.png (21.27 KiB) Viewed 4223 times

-X

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:23 pm UTC

Oh god, why?
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:39 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Oh god, why?

I foresee a metric butt-ton of Fun. That's right, Fun with a capital F.

I certainly can't handle that much Fun, though.

In stores now.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

Progress Report: I have killed two werewolves and broken through the aquifer. Down we go! Into the blackness!

-X

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

No, no HFS. Just me, the werewolves, and the darkness and the water below the ground.

-X

annals

Postby annals » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:44 am UTC

Does anyone else follow the development updates? This is awesome.
Spoiler:
Toady wrote:07/24/2009: Finally got my first group of completely skill-free dwarves attending a striking demonstration given by a proficient dwarf. The teaching/learning skills/att/personality stuff is all up and running, and it was nice to see the students get their first skill increases (they also learned to be better students and how to concentrate better, he he he, as well as working on several of their mental attributes, which come back to increase the quality of their learning). The naturally distractable/lazy dwarves need to make harder rolls during these passive presentations or they blank during some of their lessons, though they can overcome their deficits with skill and attribute improvements. Aside from the teaching/conversation skills, teachers also learn a little bit about the skill they are teaching when they teach, though the students learn more, especially if the skill gap is large (assuming the teacher is effective). You'll still sometimes have demonstrations even if everybody is at roughly the same level, and they'll all learn a bit, but they'll mostly be practicing and sparring, once I get that up. Hopefully some of the underlying stuff that's going on will come across in their thoughts, but I haven't written those up yet and we'll see if I have the time.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:30 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:No, no HFS. Just me, the werewolves, and the darkness and the water below the ground.

I wish we were playing the bloodline game on that map. Although I never figured out how aquifers work.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm UTC

Basically, an aquifer is a crapton of water soaked into the ground. When you dig down to the top layer of an aquifer, you encounter mud. When you dig into the mud, you get water. you can build walls and pumps to help you dig deeper into the aquifer, but that takes a lot longer than digging into dry dirt, and if you don't completely water-proof what you dug out, water pressure is going to flood the whole thing back up to the top level of the aquifer.
<Cheese> I love you

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 pm UTC

Sorry, but if you're using pumps and walls to get through an aquifer, You're Doing It Wrong. I'm on a tundra, so I simply froze my way through mine, but normally I collapse a higher layer (a full solid 1 z-layer of soil, not just a floor tile's thickness) down into a hole I've dug into the aquifer layer. The tiles from above aren't an aquifer, and they just now happen to be a few z-levels below where they belong... and you can mine right through them with no problem.

Okay fine, if your aquifer is on the first layer, THEN you would use pumps, I guess. Or in one or two other situations. But not normally.

Oh, and my expedition leader/architect/bookkeeper/manager/broker decided to take a nap on the edge of the map and got eaten by a werewolf. I'm seriously considering savescumming because there was literally NO reason for him to be out there ("There's snow! Nothing but snow!"), and it happened mere seconds after I got a big enough underground area to tell my dwarves to hang out in (I didn't get to play much the past couple days, I had a big homework assignment to do. In other news, I understand a lot more about JavaScript and XHTML forms than I did two days ago).

(Edit) Okay, I savescummed. Moving on. I have an epic project idea.

The Epic Project Idea: Build scaffolding. Get many buckets. Build surface fortress walls by freezing water into solid ice 4 tiles thick and 2-5 z-levels high (probably 2 or 3).

-X

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

An Ice-castle? Awesome.
<Cheese> I love you

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:33 pm UTC

But... can I have an ice castle with a magma moat?

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:43 pm UTC

Yes.

So long as the magma isn't directly under the ice, you should be fine. If it's built into walls, it's also fine. Last I checked, at least, the game treats a wall as a wall as a wall. Ice Castles don't melt in spring, and ice walls can hold back magma.

I expect this to be fixed in the future, but for now... you can use ice to build an aqueduct to carry magma wherever you need it.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:08 pm UTC

No, I'm going to FREEZE it into walls. Nothing will be constructed.

Also, I'm on a tundra. Nothing ever melts.

-X

Return to “Gaming”