You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chicostick

Re: You gotta get into Dwarf Fortress if you haven't already.

Postby Chicostick » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:10 pm UTC

If you haven't checked it out yet, you should take a look at 3D Dwarf. It's on the Bay12 forums under the general tab, and it's pretty easy to get up and running.

It extracts the map data from whatever fortress you want fairly quickly, then renders it in 3D so you can see what it looks like. Underground fortresses tend to be pretty bland most of the time, but above-ground stuff can end up looking pretty impressive.

Currently I'm working on a pair of towers, one is about 10 z-levels high and the other is around 17. They're connected with a bridge near the top of the shorter one. I also have a large pyramid built over the top of a chasm, with a spire coming out of the top. I'm using it as burial for the 50+ dead dwarves I've managed to kill :D

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

I really want that to work, but so far no luck. My above ground fortress with block-of-flats and smelting platform should look cool.

How are fortifications rendered?

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:48 pm UTC

Nothing was said that would indicate issues, so I tried digging another hole. I think I have the wrong designation or something, because my miner does the staircases just fine, she just won't dig farther. I've tried channel and mine, both, but no good.
Omni.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:40 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Nothing was said that would indicate issues, so I tried digging another hole. I think I have the wrong designation or something, because my miner does the staircases just fine, she just won't dig farther. I've tried channel and mine, both, but no good.

If you've been using channel, it's possible your miner is stuck behind an open space. Mine removes the tile of rock on that level that's designated, channel will remove the tile that designated if it's there, and it will also remove the tile on the level below, and will remove the floor between them. So if you've been channeling around, you can end up with open vertical spaces that your miner can't walk across, because it's just an empty space. You can {k} over those spaces and see if it says Open Space. It also should look different if you're looking for it. If that's the case, you could build a floor over those spaces again (b->C->f I think), so that you can walk over them again. Or dig ramps or stairs down into your new channel and go from there, etc.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:44 pm UTC

Thanks. Jeez, that made me feel smart.

So, would it be possible to tap the river in a way that allows me to do it totally underground, but without flooding my whole fort? The river is one level deep and says Water 7/7. It's a brook, technically.

Edit: Related note, could I use the river to flood my entrance were I to be attacked? And how would I have a dwarf do this, if I set it up by a level?

Edit2: Can you tell if there's magma when you choose a spot, like an aquifer?
Omni.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:20 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Thanks. Jeez, that made me feel smart.

So, would it be possible to tap the river in a way that allows me to do it totally underground, but without flooding my whole fort? The river is one level deep and says Water 7/7. It's a brook, technically.

Tapping it underground is easy, just dig into the side of it, doing it without flooding everything might require a couple of extra steps. :) Or if you want to be a bit safer about it, you can mine right up to the edge of the brook, and then channel out the last tile from above, so your miner isn't in the water tunnel that they're digging out. Also, be careful of water pressure, water will flow outward and down, but it will also flow back up to the level beneath it's source. So if you say tried to make a reservoir for a well down a few levels underground, and made a path from the brook to it, the water would fill it up, and then it would start flowing up and into the rest of your fortress.

Also, brooks as they're set up now have a floor over the top of them, they're meant to be shallow rivers, that you can walk across, but having a constant water level that's not full 7/7 is a bit harder to work right and takes more processing power, so it's just approximated by having it be 7/7, but having a floor called "Brook" over the top of it that can be channeled out.

Edit: Related note, could I use the river to flood my entrance were I to be attacked? And how would I have a dwarf do this, if I set it up by a level?

Flooding your entrance is easy, unflooding it may require a bit more work. :) To flood it all you'd need to do is mine out a path from the river to wherever you want there to be water, and it'll flood anything it can reach. If you want to control the water, the easiest way is simply passive, before you complete the channel, I suggest putting a door, or a floodgate, or a bridge that raises(rather than retracts) somewhere in your channel, and make some mechanisms and hook it up to a lever off somewhere else. Then once the passage is complete, you can pull the lever to let the water flow in, and then pull it again if you want to close the tunnel. This is also useful for filling areas with water that are further down, since you can just close off the channel before it starts flooding things above, or even set up an airlock-like chamber, where only one end is open at a time, to fill areas without worrying about water pressure.

Also, planning ahead, you're probably going to want some way of getting the water out, once it's in there. If there's some area outside on your map that's the same level or lower, you can do the same thing with a tunnel leading to it, closed off by a door, and can let the water drain out. You can also let it drain into an aquifer if you have one on your map. Water will also evaporate after a time, if it's at 1/7 depth. So you can have it drain into a big shallow room and let it evaporate.

Screw pumps are a very effective way of moving water around, but they're a bit more detailed to build and get working right. Screw pumps are 2 tiles long, and need a block (cab be made out of most things, stone, wood, metal, glass, etc.), a pipe segment(wood, metal, glass), and a giant corkscrew(wood, metal, glass). They have a direction, and they'll pump water from the tile behind and 1 level below them (area behind them should be channeled out), and they'll push it out on the same level, in front of them. So they can be used to pump water up out of an area. They can be powered directly by a dwarf with the pump operator skill on (but they'll get tired after a time of pumping, and can wander off to eat or drink or sleep or such). Or they can be powered by a windmill or watermill (although you probably want a lever attached to a mechanism somewhere between them if you don't want the pump to pump constantly and never stop. I suggest the wiki at http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page for more information on stuff.

Edit2: Can you tell if there's magma when you choose a spot, like an aquifer?

If you use the finder to find a spot, you can specify that there be magma or other features there. Otherwise, if you go into your init.txt file (under data/init/ ) You can find a set of lines like this [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:FINDER] And you can change them to [SHOW_EMBARK_M_PIPE:ALWAYS] And you'll be able to see underground features on the local map when you're choosing a location to embark.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:20 am UTC

How do I make a dwarf say... pull this level NOW, or dig this immediately, such as in a defense?
Omni.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:29 am UTC

You don't. The best thing you can do is designate a pull lever job, hope it isn't immediately assigned to a dwarf halfway on the other end of the map, grab the nearest hauler in the middle of something, draft them to the military then immediately undraft and hope they pick up the Pull Lever job first.

Same thing with digging. Near as I can tell, jobs designated in the top left (NorthWest) get done first, with I believe South taking precedence over East, but not by much. The topmost jobs also tend to be done first, but with a varying degree of importance. Basically, think of the NorthWesternmost square on level +15 (or whatever the absolute highest level is) as having a cost of 1, and every square you move away from there is multiplied by 2. Jobs with the lowest cost get done first, with some of the cost mitigated by proximity.

That's the only way I can explain miners digging an area out partially, then ceasing all work on that level to run down another level and start tunneling away there.

In short - if you need a mining job done RIGHTNOW, make sure you have no other mining jobs designated.

As far as levers go, if you need a lever pulled at a certain point of time in a defense, use a pressure plate instead, and assume the target is going to get about 4-6 squares away before it actually fires. Levers should be used to pull the bridges, not trigger traps. About the only time I'd really consider doing it with a lever is if I had a long series of drawbridges that, when the lever was pulled, lifted in such a way as to fling everything on them into a pit.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:53 am UTC

Yeah, just making sure that you have nothing else for them to do works best. If I really need something mined, I'll take of the hauler labours on my miners, so they'll focus on that and that alone.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:01 am UTC

Is there a tile limit where a dwarf stops checking for food? I just lost several miners because they just kept mining while dying of thirst and hunger when I had tons of food roughly 300 tiles away. If not I guess they didn't have access back out for some reason or another. I built all up+down stairs, and the fact that they got down there at all should mean they can get back up.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:01 pm UTC

psion wrote:Is there a tile limit where a dwarf stops checking for food? I just lost several miners because they just kept mining while dying of thirst and hunger when I had tons of food roughly 300 tiles away. If not I guess they didn't have access back out for some reason or another. I built all up+down stairs, and the fact that they got down there at all should mean they can get back up.
It sounds like you accidentally destroyed the up staircase. So.. no, just because they got somewhere doesn't mean they can necessarily get back up. I mean, if nothing else, I've on occasion needed to set up secondary food stockpiles near where I'm mining because due to the distances involved, miners would run down there, smack one chunk down then charge back up to get something to eat.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

nyeguy

Postby nyeguy » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:53 am UTC

How do you build waterfalls into dining rooms without flooding them? I think I've flooded upwards of 10 rooms now trying different designs, and nothing seems to work.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:33 am UTC

nyeguy wrote:How do you build waterfalls into dining rooms without flooding them? I think I've flooded upwards of 10 rooms now trying different designs, and nothing seems to work.
Well, you need to have a pool for the water to go into. Water generates mist when it's falling.

So, if you can make a waterfall work (my designs are generally a pool at -1, a pump at 0, and then a pump at 1, which outputs water above the pool, with 0 being the level of the dining room), you can put it inside your dining room. Just make sure to not have more water than your pool can hold, or it'll overflow. Also, it helps to build over the outer edge of the pool with grates.

For example:

Code: Select all

╔═══════╗
║≈≈≈≈≈≈≈║
║≈≈╔══╗≈║
║≈≈║  ║≈║
║≈≈╚══╝≈║
║≈≈≈≈≈≈≈║
╚═══════╝
╔═══════╗
║#≈≈≈≈≈≈║
║#≈O═╦╗≈║
║#≈÷÷≈║≈║
║#≈O═╩╝≈║
║#≈≈≈≈≈≈║
╚═══════╝
╔═══════╗
║       ║
║  O═╦╗ ║
║ ░÷÷≈║ ║
║  O═╩╝ ║
║       ║
╚═══════╝

Also, you can use AncientEnemy's mist generator.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Yeah, basically put, until you REALLY know what you're doing with water, making a waterfall is best by linking a pump or two to a pond, and basically cycling the pond water into the waterfall which falls back into the pond. On the upside, your dwarves will gain attributes by operating pumps!
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

psion

Postby psion » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

Make sure the pool isn't connected to a larger watersource that would replenish the pool's size. If the water is pumped up and the pool is filled up again by the larger watersource, then the waterfall can't fall back down into the pool.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:40 pm UTC

Alternatively, use a water wheel and a channel that leads the extra water outside.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:32 pm UTC

I just realized- my graphical mod is .38c, and the direct install version of it confuses me. Damn ye, Dysotopian Tileset!
Omni.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

I just thought of something. One of the problems with cage trapping an entire army is that once the leader is trapped, the rest of the army flees. Why not have a really long E shaped hallway- so there are two entrances to the outside, and one to your fort (it could also be Y shaped). The goblins come in through one hallway, hit a pressure plate that closes that entrance (using a drawbridge, probably), and then can only escape through the other entrance- and so to get to your actual entrance, they have to go through twenty plus cage traps, and then to get out, they have to go through forty plus cage traps. Only a giant (or kobold) army will make it to your actual gates.

The problem- now the long hallway to the gate (mine are generally around ten spaces) is loooong (around forty spaces). You'd have to have a lot of haulers whose time you waste, or rig up some sort of early detection system (a sacrificial guard dog by the choke point leading into your fortress?) so you can raise a drawbridge leading to your trade depot.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 pm UTC

I have so much SHIT to do...
Alright. First proper fortress. Editting with list of stuff I'm doing.

First, I dug a base hallway and deconstructed my wagon, the built a trade depot.
Now, my base is set up like this..

___
a |
b |_C______
d
A is farmland, and a HUGE stockpile.
B is my main level, where I have bedrooms, a still, a kitchen, masons workshop carpenters workshop, craftdwarves shop, fishery, and other such things.
C is a brook, with a wall around one square of it for waters in my fort.
D is expansion room and quarry. I have BAUXITE! WOO! Now I just need magma.

I have a trade depot outside, with a tunnel that is walled when there is no caravan.

SWEEEEET!

I have Not only Bauxite and Limestone, I also have SAPPHIRE and Malachite.

Ignore the rope bit.
Omni.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

I suck at drawing diagrams using the keyboard, so I will just explain it (maybe a diagram later).

Basically, my entrance has a couple of sacrificial cats to catch thieves and the like, then a short hallway with some cheap traps (mostly rockfall, but a couple of cage traps, too). Then my trade depot. I have another hallway that only has a couple of cage traps right now, since I don't have alot of extra weapons for traps, and then I have my barracks to one side, and the hall runs through the training area for my squad of axedwarves. They catch thieves and ambushers that get past my cats (or, if I forget to "reload" cats when they get killed), and hack them to death. I have a drawbridge after the depot, to seal off my fort in the event I get a siege.

I haven't had a siege yet, but I am in the process of digging out the false entrance I told you all about earlier. I will just chain a cat or a dog down there, have a shaft up into my fort, and put a whole lot of traps in that hallway. Maybe I could put a grate in the floor above, and have marksdwarves shoot down into the hallway.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

In stores now.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:36 am UTC

I am attempting to get all my crap into my fort, but my haulers seem to be slower than the caravans..
oughta start a new fort which'll be sealed after 1 flood of migrants comes, but.. meh.
Omni.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:19 am UTC

The one time I don't start with a pro gem cutter, I get rough Yellow Diamonds immediately visible. *Sigh*
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:32 pm UTC

I really roped up my defenses for the lazy fortress that I've been doing, and have lost a number of important dwarves (my brewer, my jeweler who liked star sapphires, which my home town was exporting, and then a few worthless ones). I'm not sure if it's better to motor on or restart, with a better setup when it comes to defense.

Actually, I've always wanted to do a normal glacier fortress (instead of Catfeast). That'll give me a lot of space to do things... nah, I didn't want to work today, why do you ask?

icanus

Postby icanus » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:08 pm UTC

Today I learned that it's probably a good idea to pay attention to the health of your military. I thought I had 28 competent-and-above soldiers, with a mix of spears, crossbows and hammers. Only after the vile force of darkness arrived, did I discover that I had 2 marksdwarves and 26 dwarves crippled in training accidents...

Once past the undefended perimeter, the goblins occupied my booze stockpile, so every civilian in the fortress promptly ran straight to them and got slaughtered piecemeal.

I had Fun.

Ralith The Third

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:01 pm UTC

Thaz why I keep my booze INSIDE my fort :P
Omni.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:07 pm UTC

I never really got the whole stockpiles outside thing. It makes so much more sense just to make a massive cavern.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:I never really got the whole stockpiles outside thing. It makes so much more sense just to make a massive cavern.

But then you have to move a ton of stones. I prefer to build part of my fortress in a soil layer, especially the early stockpiles. The best of both worlds is when you have a soil layer next to a mountain, then you can do your dining room in engrave-able stone next to a soil food stockpile.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I have some stockpiles in my soil layer, except a stockpile I set up exclusively for the most common stone in my fort (dolomite). In which case, that is "outside," but within my walls.

I haven't been able to test my new trap-hallway-of-doom, but I haven't had a siege yet (I've gotten up to fifty dwarves, is it related to your wealth, or to your population, or is it relatively random? Oh, well, more time to prepare, i guess). I'm waiting to see if the grates int he ceiling will allow my marksdwarves to rain fie down onto Goblins.

In stores now.

icanus

Postby icanus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:57 pm UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:Thaz why I keep my booze INSIDE my fort :P

It was inside, just not very deep, and I'd neglected traps in favour of having a band of what turned out to be coma victims, so the goblins just walked in the front door... Everyone was mostly still living in a temporary soil-level shanty town while the miners explored the deeper levels in the hopes that my future bedroom complex wouldn't be ruined by an inconveniently placed magma pool/underground river, so everyone was rather close to the entrance. Evidently I took too long about moving deeper.

MartinW

Postby MartinW » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

You start to get sieges at 80.

icanus

Postby icanus » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

I think your proximity to goblin cities on the world map plays a role too, as well as relations between your parent civilization and the neighbours.

Rakysh

Postby Rakysh » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:54 am UTC

My current fort is all constructed stone, so I need all the storage caverns I can get. I think I've used... 1000 now? Very possibly more.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:21 pm UTC

Hello, you've all got me playing DF again :P
I find that when starting a new fortress I get bored of going through the setting up stage, building farms, workshops etc and I want to get straight to the building of caverns and structures and things.
I've heard people talk about changing the amoutn of dwarves you can embark with and the amount of points you can spend on embark.
How would I go about doing that? I want an army of miner/masons on embark that can do all the interesting stuff while other dwarves do the boring stuff like making food a drink :P
Help?
Ⓞⓞ◯

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:Hello, you've all got me playing DF again :P
I find that when starting a new fortress I get bored of going through the setting up stage, building farms, workshops etc and I want to get straight to the building of caverns and structures and things.
I've heard people talk about changing the amoutn of dwarves you can embark with and the amount of points you can spend on embark.
How would I go about doing that? I want an army of miner/masons on embark that can do all the interesting stuff while other dwarves do the boring stuff like making food a drink :P
Help?

This tool will let you do that, and some other stuff. The specific part of it that you want is the adjust start thing.

TaintedDeity

Postby TaintedDeity » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:16 pm UTC

Oooh, thank you.
Let's now see if I can get this thing to work :D
Edit: Keep getting setup errors on .NET Framework 3.5
Dammit.
EditEdit: Whoops, I already have all the required .NET frameworks
EditEditEdit: I'm an idiot.
Ⓞⓞ◯

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

Thanks to this thread, I am now playing dwarf fortress. And after about a week, most of it makes sense. Except for social skills... Those confuse me. But at the moment, I have some goblins camped across my drawbridge. And I have no traps or military...yet. Emergency stone-fall traps are in progress. I wonder what will happen when those migrants who just arrived head toward my drawbridge....

Also, i have a great fort area. I know that it has lots of flux, iron, and bauxite right near a magma pipe. The area is the one included in the "extremely newby tutorial"... I can't remember the site at the moment. After this crisis I will explore more to see if there is and adamantine...

[EDIT:]Crisis is over, but, it seems that I accidentally forgot to let dwarves go outside... many were lost to thirst. And my legendary miner was taken by a mood, and needs shells. I have no shells...
[EDIT2:] How do you get shells?
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:36 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:[EDIT2:] How do you get shells?

You need to fish, catch turtles. Then you need to clean the turtles you caught at a fishery.
Then you need to be lucky enough to have someone choose to eat the now edible turtle. (I prefer to just forbid all other food, so they have to eat turtle, so I get a shell pretty quickly once I have edible turtle).

If you don't have a trained fisher dwarf, catching a turtle can take a while.
You might lose your miner. Just hope he doesn't go berserk.

@TaintedDeity: did you get it to work?

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I lost him...

he went beserk, and took out two of my dwarves.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:09 pm UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I lost him...

he went beserk, and took out two of my dwarves.

That's the sucky thing about having miners/woodcutters going berserk. They have weapons, and you either lose other dwarves, or at least get other dwarves laid up in the hospital for a year or two.

Incidentally, I have yet to have even one of my military get remotely unhappy, or even have strange moods.*

*Though, I have not had one instance of berserking that wasn't related to either a strange mood, or someone's cat dying.

In stores now.

The Sleeping Tyrant

Postby The Sleeping Tyrant » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:39 pm UTC

SummerGlauFan wrote:Incidentally, I have yet to have even one of my military get remotely unhappy

This is probably because they get happy thoughts from killing things and sparring (sparring makes them really happy, I think it generates a happy thought for each session they deem to be "good", which could end up being a lot). And once they hit champion I don't think they ever get unhappy thoughts from being on duty too long.

SummerGlauFan wrote:or even have strange moods.

And I'm fairly certain that this is because they can't.
The Wiki says wrote:Further, dwarfs with a military profession other than "Recruit" can not enter moods.

Return to “Gaming”