Thief

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Irrefutable

Thief

Postby Irrefutable » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:46 pm UTC

Well, if you didn't buy these games i hope you feel very guilty because both companies who made them went bankrupt due to lack of sales and they are some of the greatest games ever. (I have checked, couldnt find a thread about em so here it is)

I recently got back into Deadly Shadows and id forgotten what a damned good game it is. My favorite thing to do atm is to drop an Oil container in a door way and make a loud noice on the other side, hilarity ensues :)

And anyone else find the only way they can do the cradle is with the sound off running around spamming Holy Water at everything which moves with someone holding my hand.

It does annoy me slightly because the game could be so damned good if they made a sequel but all the money for stealth games goes to the big names, Splinter Cell and its ilk, but they would never have existed without the Theif games

Any other fans on these here fora?
One day something wity and original will appear here

xooll

Re: Thief

Postby xooll » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:18 pm UTC

I love these games. So much. Thief II remains the best thing I've ever played (Thief I being largely unplayed due to technical issues).
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Theif 2 was great, but tbh i found it so bleak and panty wettingly scary in parts i started to lean towards more cudly options

Infact the same can be said for all the games, the pure bleakness is probably the biggest reason they didnt suceed. I still love the 10 seconds or so back in your house in theif 3 before you thrust yourself into a fairly scary and unpleasent existance

Still so damned good tho

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:29 am UTC

Irrefutable wrote:Well, if you didn't buy every single game Looking Glass Studios released, ever I hope you feel very guilty because both companies who made them went bankrupt due to lack of sales and they are some of the greatest games ever.

Fixed it for you. Personally, I like to blame Eidos myself. I haven't played Deadly Shadows (which should indicate how much of a Thief fanboy I am, Ha!)

Thief Gold is my favourite. I can highly recommend Theif 2X*, the fan expansion made for Thief 2. I played it when I replayed the Metal Age last year, and was highly impressed. Levels pretty much on par with the OMs, and a decent storyline to go with. I loved the Sunnyport area. Enjoyed Thief 2, but missed the Hammers.

We do have also a System Shock thread, for what it's worth.

*Hmm. The website isn't loading for me right now.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:38 pm UTC

Theif was one of the hardest games I've ever played. The harder the difficulty gets, the more you have to do (or not do, like killing people).

Theif's plot was a bit "...eh?" sometimes, and the last level really wasn't as much theivery instead of world-saving, but it was very enjoyable.

Theif 2 was a better game, in my opinion. Still ridiculously difficult, but there are SO many memorable parts, such as the party-crashing one, where you have to make a journey over the rooftops before you can actually get the mission underway (along with many diversions, such as the "YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME!!"), and the infiltration of the Sheriff's house.

Theif had so many enjoyable touches:
- The conversations people would have as you snuck around (No One Lives Forever did this too, to humourous effect), also the reactions of the NPCs to your actions; in Deadly Shadows I think I made one of them cry, and promptly stopped the murder on my behalf.
- The look'n'feel. I'm a sucker for steampunk.
- Fear! I've never been scared in a game like I've been scared in Thief. Partially because you're softer than butter and can't fight anyone straight up and survive.

Deadly Shadows lacked something, although the Asylum mission was all kinds of fantastic.
Steven Hawking wrote:"Even determinists look before they cross the road."

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Marlowe wrote:Theif 2 was a better game, in my opinion. Still ridiculously difficult, but there are SO many memorable parts, such as the party-crashing one, where you have to make a journey over the rooftops before you can actually get the mission underway (along with many diversions, such as the "YOU'VE GONE TOO FAR THIS TIME!!"), and the infiltration of the Sheriff's house.

Its been ages but i think i remember that bit near the begining of the level when you get the two groups of guards having a glorified "Yo mammas so fat" contest, resulting in a full blown fight :) If only the city hub sections of Deadly Shadows took some hints from this roof top section..

Theif 3 was good but the cave levels are frankly and shite. Ents still scare me tho

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:49 am UTC

The conversations were great. Life of the Party has a few good ones, like that fight between the archers, and the guy who didn't get an invite. Or the guards at Lord Bafords - "I'm going down to the Bear Pits tomorrow, wanna come with?" They really helped with immersion. Plus, the language they used! Taffer has certainly entered my vocabulary from playing Thief.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am UTC

the cradle is perhaps the best + scariest level of any game ever.
in ur beanz makin u eveel

My Uncivilized God

Postby My Uncivilized God » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:28 pm UTC

evilbeanfiend wrote:the cradle is perhaps the best + scariest level of any game ever.

True.
I'm waiting for the Devil to come
I'll ask if I can take my guns,
there are men over there
who would steal my breath and air
as once they have already done.

Return to “Gaming”