Neverwinter Nights I and II

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

HighCharity

Neverwinter Nights I and II

Postby HighCharity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:21 am UTC

Wow. Excellent games. Large fanbase, too-found tons of mods for them. I'd say 9/10 for NWN1 and mabye 9.5/10 for NWN2. Your opinions?
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Are Thefinvispol, Child wrote:Life is, in a word, caverns.

Umlaut
Everybody's a diacritic

Re: Neverwinter Nights I and II

Postby Umlaut » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:55 am UTC

NWN2 lacks turn-based play, so I never got into it.
You will be baked and then there will be cake.

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 am UTC

NWN I is one of the two original games I have. The other one is Starcraft

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:02 am UTC

Memo wrote:NWN I is one of the two original games I have. The other one is Starcraft

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.
folkhero wrote:I feel bad for the hooker, but that guy is too annoying to not make fun of.

Memo

Postby Memo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:06 am UTC

HighCharity wrote:
Memo wrote:NWN I is one of the two original games I have. The other one is Starcraft

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

I paid for it.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:23 am UTC

Ah, I see. I pay for all the games I own.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:31 am UTC

I'm annoyed that they never finished Witch's Wake

Very annoyed.

Vexed, even.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:44 am UTC

I never played NWN2, it didn't seem to have enough benefits to warrant the extra system requirements.
NWN, on the other hand, is one of my favorite games. I've spent many hours playing it, mostly online with friends of mine (which is the best way to play by far), and even managed to make it and the expansion packs work on my MacBook Pro without having to buy the separate Mac version of it.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

Umlaut wrote:NWN2 lacks turn-based play, so I never got into it.

NWN2 has the same type of play as NWN1 does. It is turn-based in both games. The turns are just invisible.

Personally, I prefer NWN1 ever so slightly to NWN2, but that's only due to the specific storylines, and the fact that there are more (and better) mods out for NWN1. That being said, lately I've been playing NWN2 more than NWN1 because I've played each campaign in NWN1 about 10 times each.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:28 pm UTC

I prefer NWN2 to NWN1, if only for the enhanced graphics and the better toolset.

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

I enjoy NWN2's single player more so than NWN1's, not counting the expansions. Though to be honest, my main experience is on Persistant Worlds moreso than the single player campaign.

I've played on Narfell for more than 4 years now, and while the player base isn't as large for NWN as it once was its still fairly active. As well, the last patch for NWN1 that comes out soon, 1.69, is the size of a small expansion. Adding ridable horses, tons of new tilesets, tons of new monsters, new items and armor modifications, amongst other things and may revitalize the game a bit.

I also play on a NWN2 PW, Abyssya, that is set in a custom world, loosely inspired a bit by the Lovecraft mythos amongst other things. The area designer for the world is absolutely stunning and a vast majority of areas look as good if not better than the original single player campaign. Unfortunantly NWN2 online play isn't picking up quite as fast as NWN1's for a vast number of reasons.

They're both great games though, and prove to be a nice division when played online if you enjoy actual legitimate roleplaying in a quasi-MMO feel.
[Insert Catchphrase Here]

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:22 pm UTC

As well, the last patch for NWN1 that comes out soon, 1.69, is the size of a small expansion. Adding ridable horses, tons of new tilesets, tons of new monsters, new items and armor modifications, amongst other things and may revitalize the game a bit.

They finally added rideable horses?

They've only been crying for that since I left, like, 2 years ago, right?
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:34 pm UTC

I played NWN1 when it first came out. Comparing it with Morrowind, it was inferior in every way. I made it to the end of the story but I really had no thoughts that it was a great game.

I didn't pick up the sequel mostly because straight D&D game systems give me bouts of indigestion these days.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

Yep. I've heard rumors it may even be more than just "ridable horses" and more along the lines of "rideable creatures", though may be wrong there.

1.69 is looking really good though, and should be giving a lot of things that people have been wanting without the need for Haks. Here's some of the things of major note:

New Purple Dragon Knight Prestige Class
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
8 New Tilesets:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Barrows Interior
Castle Exterior, Rural
Castle Interior 2
City Interior 2
Fort Interior
Sea Caves
Steamworks
Tropical
17 New Music Tracks:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
New Creatures (over 100 new apperances) [spoiled for size]:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Spoiler:
Caladnei (NPC)
Cobra (Regular, Black and Gold )
Curst Swordsman
Gem Golems (Diamond, Emerald and Ruby)
G'Zhorb the All seeing Eye
Halaster
Harat, Lord of Darkness (Large and Small)
Horses (63 Different varients, plus mounted Humans, Elves, Half-Elves, Halflings, Gnomes, Half-Orcs and Dwarves)
Lord Antoine Baccha, Visier de Guise (NPC)
Maggris, the Hive Mother
Masterius (Regular, Disguised and Powerful)
Mist Dragon
Nightmare ( Regular, Saddled and Armored )
Ogre Chieftan
Purple Dragon Knight Archer (Female and Male)
Purple Dragon Knight Blade (Female and Male)
Satyr (Regular, Archer and Warrior)
Wereboar
Widow Hagatha
Wyvern (Great, Adult, Juvenile and Young)
New Placeables (nearly 350)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
New Visual Effects (over 100)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
- Added missing Trident weapon feats.
- Trident are now classified as a "Martial" weapon, rather than a simple weapon.
- Added new nwnplayer.ini file setting to always roll maximum hit points at level up for players (defaults to off).
- Fixed how Damage Resistance works against weapons that do more than one type of damage (i.e. Morning Stars and Halberds). The target now uses the worst of the multiple damage resistances angainst weapons that inflict more than one base weapon damage type.
- Fixes to Whirlwind/Improved Whirlwind/Great Cleave so that all the attacks are done at the player's full BAB.
- The "Rapid Reload" feat now gives you the proper number of extra attacks.
- Fixed an issue with the deflection bonus being added in twice when determining a touch attack.
Spell/Feat description changes:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So a lot of good stuff.

Oh, and since you're here ;) Interesting things...Call Lightening has been changed on the server to act more like PNP (god is it nasty in a storm now). Summon durations have been extended. A few other minor spell changes recently, along with some resting changes.

Oh....and I am apparently up as a candidate for DM even though this time around I didn't put in for it O.o

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I played NWN1 when it first came out. Comparing it with Morrowind, it was inferior in every way. I made it to the end of the story but I really had no thoughts that it was a great game.

I didn't pick up the sequel mostly because straight D&D game systems give me bouts of indigestion these days.

I don't compare them, for 3 reasons
1.They're different games, plain and simple. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they promised it to be 100 times better than Morrowind.
2.Morrowind came out a year after NWN1.
3.I broke my copy of Morrowind :(

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:08 pm UTC

NWN1 works on my laptop (Ubuntu), therefor I like it. There's also the fact that I don't own NWN2, so I can't judge against that.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:15 pm UTC

Yeah, NWN2 makes my computer run real slow, but it's so awesome. NWN1 works fine on my comp, so no complaints there.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

Never played 1, but played on a PW on 2 for aaages and loved it to bits. I really miss having the time for that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I played NWN1 when it first came out. Comparing it with Morrowind, it was inferior in every way. I made it to the end of the story but I really had no thoughts that it was a great game.

I played through chapter one of the base game and quit. Don't even remember how much I played of the first expansion.. Hordes of the Underdark, though, at least got me interested in the story and enjoying it.

Of course, being a dwarven Fighter/Rogue/Blackguard also helped...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:04 pm UTC

I've played both of them. I think I much prefered the single player of 2 since the characters were so much more fun than the first game's. They were boring and all seemed to be the same (admittedly, I never went past the prison in the story, so it may very well have gotten better).

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

"2.Morrowind came out a year after NWN1."
Something is wrong on the internet again...

Morrowind's release date was 5/2/2002
NWN1 was 6/18/2002
NWN2 was 10/31/2006

so a month and a half earlier does not equal a year later my friend...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

HighCharity

Postby HighCharity » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 am UTC

mosc wrote:"2.Morrowind came out a year after NWN1."
Something is wrong on the internet again...

Morrowind's release date was 5/2/2002
NWN1 was 6/18/2002
NWN2 was 10/31/2006

so a month and a half earlier does not equal a year later my friend...

Sorry, Wikipedia has failed me again... :(

DemolitionsGeek

Postby DemolitionsGeek » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm UTC

When it comes down to it, I prefer NWN2 to the first game. I bought the diamond edition of NWN and had a ball creating characters and then just..got bored with the campaign. Then the expansion packs.

When I hear of a Dungeons and Dragons 3.5e game set in The Forgotten Realms, I immediately envision '4+ person party with role-playing and creative conversations and fun and joy and rainbows and campaigning through forests and kittens and caves and chocolatey fountains and troll clans slaughtering villages' and stuff. Not, 'one single PC, one filthy "henchman" and a prison full of jerks.'

I'm sure it got better, but I couldn't be bothered to suffer through finding out.

I've got NWN2 running on my 3-year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop, real slick. I enjoy it far more than NWN1, and I have yet try out the Persistant [persistent?] Worlds I hear soo much glory about. Makes me wish I had more friends so I could ruin a tabletop or two with dicemarks.

JPeG387

Postby JPeG387 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

I was unable to get in to NWN I. The character creation was fun, but when I got to the actual game I lost interest each time I played. NWN II, on the other hand, was a blast. The character creation process retained its greatness, and I was able to actually enjoy the game play. The number of (quality) mods available is also great, enabling ridiculous hours of game play.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

I echo the previous two posts. I bought the whole shebang of NWN 1 stuff, got maybe an hour or so into each campaign and never got any further. NWN 2 on the other hand, I played obsessively (not that I play much of anything non-obsessively).

Zyphlin

Postby Zyphlin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

NWN1: Larger playerbase, more accessible comp requirements, easy toolset, and far far more time put into mutliplayer options make it the far supperior choice for online play.

NWN2: Beautiful world, powerful toolset, and a much heavier focus upon party usage and control make this ideal for the single player campaign or individually made modules.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Yeah, pretty much. NWN1 was really, really good for multiplayer. Less so for single.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

DemolitionsGeek

Postby DemolitionsGeek » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:55 pm UTC

Yeah...I have no friends to multiplayer with. They all ditched me when I broke the news about my Navy-joinin'. Filthy Hippies.

Also, I like NWN2 because 3.5e bards get to wear armor. 16 Bard/4 Rogue with Studded Leather +5, and I'm almost 7/8ths of a real boy! :D

Frh

Postby Frh » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:31 am UTC

Was thinking of installing nwn2 and its expansion when I next go home. Can anyone recommended me any persistent worlds?

Thanks!

Aethernox

Postby Aethernox » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 am UTC

I played NWN1 heavily about two and a half years ago. I bought NWN2 the week it came out and was disgusted.

I can't say I've ever enjoyed the storylines, aside from the first NWN1 expansion multi-player. NWN1's best feature, without a doubt, is the multiplayer, which is many times better than that of NWN2's circa release(it might have changed; initially, and likely still, playing on PWs required a large download. This was not so in NWN1. For example, if you're looking for a PW in NWN2, you'd have to find the server, find their website, and download upwards of 50mb before you could play; if you didn't enjoy that PW, you would have to repeat the process.)

I thoroughly enjoyed NWN1, and still want to reinstall it. I primarily played in PVP servers, using toolset-ed and leto'd characters, but I was very familiar with pve and roleplay-heavy pws as well. Also, NWN1 is much more forgiving of weaker internet connections, which was pleasing when I was limited to dial-up.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:58 pm UTC

Frh wrote:Was thinking of installing nwn2 and its expansion when I next go home. Can anyone recommended me any persistent worlds?

Thanks!

It's been a while since I've been on it, but I used to be pretty heavy into Sundren (http://www.sundren.org) and it was fantastic at the time I was playing.

Thumpy

NeverWinterNights 2

Postby Thumpy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:43 am UTC

Hey I just started playing it, and i was wondering, just out of interest, what are people's favourite builds and why? I realise that there is another thread about this, sorta, (its more specifically on just D&D builds) but it's kinda bogged down with technicalities and hard to read as i just started and haven't played D&D before.
so far all i've chosen is a druid char, tiefling, which might not have been the smartest choice, and am thinking of doing over
C-A-T spells Histidine... yes that was the sole thing i learned this week

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

NWN2 is really really awesome, and I probably have more fun making characters than I do playing the actual game.

I really want to be able to make half-celestials with wings like Kaelyn the Dove and also tieflings with tails like Neeshka
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:15 pm UTC

Well, ECL races and spellcasters don't play too nice with eachother, although an ECL of 1 is doable.

I usually go for very plain builds that favor roleplaying a little more than just bashing skulls. Therefore I usually play a halfling rogue/assassin (which get insane AC, hide and move silently bonuses pretty early, and HIPS at Assassin level 8 (CL 13)), plain sun elf wizard with more intelligence than you can shake a stick at, for all those nifty bonus spell slots and skills, or a human paladin.

If you want an easy to play, powerful characcter, go barbarian/frenzied berserker or fighter/weaponmaster. Wizards are a little harder to do at first, but, in my opinion, are the most powerful characters later on in the game (basically, when you get fireball (lvl 5) you've turn into a lean mean killing machine, and when you get stoneskin (lvl 7) you're impossible to kill as well. Just make sure you've got plenty of cannon fodder to feed your soon-to-be-dead enemies).

NWN 2 started out as NWN 1, but they made it better and put lots of bugs in. Wish they didn't do that. I would've been perfectly fine with just a graphics update. The worst thing is the online thing, forcing you to download a package just to join a server. In NWN 1 I could just join one on chance, take a look around and see if it was something for me, and hopefully it was and I had a PW to play on until it fell apart because of OMGDRAMA or LOLZMONEY. Spent two years of my life doing that.

I still secretly harbor a dream of running my own PW. I just need some time and a little bit more motivation. (Not that it's part of the dream, but I think I could actually be happy as one of those 45 year old fat virgins living off of hot pockets in a basement doing nothing but playing an elven ranger in nwn.)
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:29 pm UTC

I find that there isn't enough flexibility to make the full on role-play characters that I want to make...

For instance a Female Planetouched Water Gensei who uses water-oriented magics. But wait, there is like 3 waterish spells. Drown, Swamp Lung thing and the dehydrate one.

I also considered making her using a trident or spear because they remind me of the water, however with +1 level-thingy and no extra feat at level 1 it makes it harder to roll a nice stormlord build.

So instead I ended up with a Human Female Cleric (War/Time, Deity: Talos), something like 5 Cleric/10 Stormlord/ 3 Weapon Master (Total Level: 18, which is the start of the MOTB campaign with no level adjustment). Might have been 6 Cleric, I forget. And yeah she owned, but she wasn't a water gensai with water spells.

Sure I could probably go Spirit Shaman/Stormlord but it still wouldn't work out how I want it...

Edit: Basically I want more freedom with how I build my character so that I don't gimp it if I say... choose the wrong spells, or the wrong feat here or there.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Well, the thing is, unless they release a water themed expansion, you're basically only getting feats, classes and spells that fit the themes "dungeons" and "dragons". MotB is heavy on spirits, so now you've got the flexibility to make spirit shaman characters. I think it's a little much to ask for the ability to make anything in the dnd universe, as the scope of that is potentially enormous, especially considering dnd encourages players and groups to invent new stuff themselves, like water gensai stormlords wielding water power.

I once played on a sigil server for a while, and the lacking flexibility was especially apparent there. We used leto to change our appearances, then just used the dicebags provided by the server to roll the stuff that wasn't in the game. It felt sort of like a rl pnp game actually, except with a thin layer of recursion.

Also, there's plenty of cold spells. "Water" has never been considered especially dangerous in dnd, except for the mentioned drow and extract water elemental (gotta love this one. Attacked by a bunch of orcs and an ogre? Shazam! Large water elemental where the ogre was!) spells. Cold is probably the way to go. Or lightning...
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Irrefutable

Postby Irrefutable » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:12 pm UTC

I used to love it but my friend introduced me to Dugeons and Dragons yesterday. The lack of visualisation bothered me for the first bit but the actual character creation and play i found to be much more fun. I still know barely anything about DnD but i think the hours ive spent on NWN and its sequels helped with basic comprehension so after a couple of hours i was realy finding it fun. I just loved how almost anything was possible, in NWN i still feel very constrained by the rules of the world.

To those of you who play standard Dungeons and Dragons which do you find preferable, NWN or just playing in real life. Also ive never dared to venture into online play on NWN for fear of making a fool of myself but reading whats been written here it does sound tempting.
One day something wity and original will appear here

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm UTC

Real life is always much better than NWN. Theres just so much spontanious things you can do with the real game, that would take hours and hours of planning in NWN. And it helps roleplay as well.

That said, NWN does do combat faster.

Berengal

Postby Berengal » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Well, I find you can roleplay pretty well in nwn as well. As I said earlier, I've done sigil, which is pretty high on the "hard to do with computers" ratings, with all the funky stuff. There is the problem stuff being hardcoded or having to do everything beforehand in the toolset, but once you've gotten over the fact that your Duergar Psion is actually just a normal dwarf wizard with grey skin, roleplaying works nicely as long as everyone works together. It actually turns pretty freeform, because you're pretty much in no-rules land. Sure, there's that spell description in the book, but who can say if you've actually memorized that spell or not? As long as they accept that you're e.g. a psion, there's no way for anyone to tell which powers you have or haven't, because the game doesn't incorporate those rules.

It's also pretty neat in that you're not restricted to people you know in real life, which for some people is a very good thing. Me, I've done both, playing on the same server as a friend I know, but playing together equally with the other people on the server as well.

Oh, and persistent worlds. Especially dynamic ones where the players have a real impact. It's not so easy running a real life game where all the players have their own agendaes and do stuff on their own while the others aren't around that affect not just themselves, but everything around them.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:51 am UTC

Necromancing the stone: I need halp.

When I go into the Neverwinter archives/library thing (act 2), I'm to put on a caretaker's veil that's enchanted with true seeing. This should allow me to see some special scrolls I need to read and so forth, but that part doesn't happen. I put on the veil and nothing changes. I can't find any reference to this bug anywhere online, which tells me that I'm a special snowflake with a corrupted install or summat.

I've reloaded the game, I've cast true seeing on myself while wearing the veil, I've made all the other party members try it (except the raccoon or whatever that creature is), I've edited my character to remove anything that looks like a spell resistance feat... Am I pooched? Do I need to reinstall the game and start the character over? This is a main-quest-killing bug, unfortunately.
The Supreme Ethical Rule: Act so as to elicit the best in others and thereby in thyself.
- Felix Adler, professor, lecturer, and reformer (13 Aug 1851-1933)

Return to “Gaming”