PC RPG?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Aleril
Le Rail

PC RPG?

Postby Aleril » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

I am currently looking for what seems to be a mythical creature: the turn based RPG on the PC.

Do they exist?

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: PC RPG?

Postby b.i.o » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 pm UTC

Older ones did--the early Might and Magic games are the ones that immediately come to mind, but I don't know of any recent ones.

Stief

Postby Stief » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Is this not counting the PC ports of various console RPGS, such as FF7 and the like?
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:52 pm UTC

Stief wrote:Is this not counting the PC ports of various console RPGS, such as FF7 and the like?

I would do FF7, but it doesnt work on XP.

Memo

Postby Memo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:
Stief wrote:Is this not counting the PC ports of various console RPGS, such as FF7 and the like?

It works, I have played it on XP.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:20 am UTC

Fallout! You could also argue that all of the infinity engine games can fall into this category.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:33 am UTC

Memo wrote:
Aleril wrote:

Ok, I am torrenting it now and it is called the "Ultima Edition".

Is that it, or did you install a drive? I am confused.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:03 am UTC

The early Ultima games were turn based. Ultima IV and V certainly, and probably I-III.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

Memo

Postby Memo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:31 am UTC

Aleril wrote:
Memo wrote:
Aleril wrote:

Ok, I am torrenting it now and it is called the "Ultima Edition".

Is that it, or did you install a drive? I am confused.

That's the one I used.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:04 am UTC

And coming up at some point is Mass Effect.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:40 am UTC

Isn't KOTOR turn based? (and No2)

I havent played either, but yeah.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:56 am UTC

Still not working.

And I am looking for the patch for it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:42 pm UTC

See, the problem is that your Computer RPGs (at least the ones sold Stateside and in the UK) were always made with the notion of making the turn as transparent as possible, eventually eliminating it altogether. Eastern RPGs did the opposite, taking the turn-based combat and making some horrific creature thing out of it involving limit breaks and at some point brought back in the notion of real time without taking the menu away... I watched a guy play one of those, and wondered how the hell you could possibly do it.

So, it really means what you mean by turn based. If you're meaning that the computer calculates a round, has set in it what actions can occur during a round's worth of time, and only allows the actions capable of being performed to be performed, otherwise causing the individual to wait until the next round where the action goes off... then there's pretty much everything Black Isle did.. Baldur's Gate series, Icewind Dale series, Planescape:Torment..Neverwinter Nights I, at least, was turn based..Arcanum, great little steampunk game.. still turn-based..the Fallout series..as previously mentioned, Knights of the Old Republic falls in to this category..

Now.. if you're meaning something where combat starts, everything is on hold and you individually tell the member(s) of your party what to do, they perform the actions while the monsters perform whatever their actions are and then you do it again Eastern RPG style.... there really aren't many modern games like that for the PC.

There's Geneforge...
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Septerra Core?

All the recent D&D games (Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, etc.) are turn-based, as are the KOTOR games. They just hide the turns by assuming you want to do the same actions until you tell it otherwise.

Mass Effect may have turns somewhere really deep under everything (and I don't recall seeing a D20 logo in the opening credit), but the gameplay isn't even remotely turn-based, nor can it be easily faked by pausing the game to change tactics like earlier Black Isle games.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:47 am UTC

I was just going to say Septerra Core. A fine game, really. I ought to go back and finish it sometime. (Torment first, though.)

But I shall also mention ANACHRONOX. This was the "other" Ion Storm game (aside from Daikatana), lovingly pieced together by the great Tom Hall. Many have compared it to Final Fantasy VII, for better or worse. The game is sadly quite rough around the edges (make sure you patch it, of course), and though there's a hefty amount of playtime in it, it ends on a rather disappointing cliffhanger. The writing is brilliant, though.

And if you go way back there's an intriguing-sounding thing called Escape from Hell which I've been meaning to take a look at. (Based on the Wasteland engine, don'cha know.)

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:30 am UTC

To clarify on my earlier commend, infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, etc) all have an auto pause feature for each round. The end result is turn based that the user actually sees. This does not hold true for NWN, KotR and the like (as far as I know).
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:03 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Mass Effect may have turns somewhere really deep under everything (and I don't recall seeing a D20 logo in the opening credit), but the gameplay isn't even remotely turn-based, nor can it be easily faked by pausing the game to change tactics like earlier Black Isle games.

My assumption is the engine is probably based on the KOTOR engine to some extent. Though I've only ever played Neverwinter Nights from them. So I'm not familiar with any of their other games.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:11 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Mass Effect may have turns somewhere really deep under everything (and I don't recall seeing a D20 logo in the opening credit), but the gameplay isn't even remotely turn-based, nor can it be easily faked by pausing the game to change tactics like earlier Black Isle games.

My assumption is the engine is probably based on the KOTOR engine to some extent. Though I've only ever played Neverwinter Nights from them. So I'm not familiar with any of their other games.

There's no battle engine working in Mass Effect. You aim at something; if you hit it rolls a few dice under the bonnet/hood (delete as appropriate) to determine what damage you do whereas KotOR was just D&D in space.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:43 pm UTC

Bruce wrote:To clarify on my earlier commend, infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, etc) all have an auto pause feature for each round. The end result is turn based that the user actually sees. This does not hold true for NWN, KotR and the like (as far as I know).

I don't think KOTOR had an autopause (I didn't play it much since I got to a point where I kept dying and got annoyed), but you could go into a screen that showed you every roll of the dice that was going on underneath everything. It does have a pause feature, but just not an auto-pause, that I know of. I'm pretty sure Jade Empire had something similar. Mass Effect has nothing of the sort.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

KOTOR can be played assigning every turn for every character pretty easy. It auto-pauses when combat starts and you can assign up to four actions and then pause whenever you want after that. Realistically, you can pause every turn if you want to or every 4 turns if you want to and completely assign everything. It does put in defaults if you don't give it actions though which really ain't that bad and when you don't need the strategy of turn based, it makes "random battle" type encounters a breeze.

A lot of KOTOR is played single player too (no party) and you can certainly enter commands faster than they execute which plays very turn based. It's just that the turns happen automatically unless you tell them not to.

KOTOR and similar games are highly turn based. They just don't have the 'good guys on one side and bad guys on the other' type thing which the OP may also be hinting at.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:47 am UTC

I should reiterate.

I am looking for a game like Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, etc on the computer that doesn't need an emulator.

That kind of turn based.

semicolon

Postby semicolon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:48 am UTC

Aleril wrote:that doesn't need an emulator.

Why not?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:26 am UTC

I think most of the ones mentioned so far do not require an emulator. Certainly, Anachronox and SepterraCore do not. (I imagine they might take some persuasion to run smoothly under XP, though.)

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:(I imagine they might take some persuasion to run smoothly under XP, though.)

That is the other problem.

I have Final Fantasy 7 for the PC but it wont work on XP.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 am UTC

Sir, there are often patches for that kind of thing. (For instance, try googling <Final Fantasy 7 xp>.) And when there isn't, there's always Compatibility Mode. I do not imply that drastic measures need to be taken when I say "some persuasion".

BCaz

Postby BCaz » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 pm UTC

Penny Arcade's turn-based action RPG, On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness will i think fit the bill for what you want

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:03 pm UTC

Diciples II is turn based.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:09 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:There's Geneforge...

I recommend the Geneforge and Avernum series. I also just discovered Eschalon Book I thanks to steam.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 pm UTC

There's Exile 1,2, 3(?) and maybe more. Been AGES since I checked 'em out, but it's fully turn based.
Omni.

Texas_Ben

Postby Texas_Ben » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 am UTC

Endless Mike wrote:
Bruce wrote:To clarify on my earlier commend, infinity engine games (Baldur's Gate, Ice Wind Dale, etc) all have an auto pause feature for each round. The end result is turn based that the user actually sees. This does not hold true for NWN, KotR and the like (as far as I know).

I don't think KOTOR had an autopause (I didn't play it much since I got to a point where I kept dying and got annoyed), but you could go into a screen that showed you every roll of the dice that was going on underneath everything. It does have a pause feature, but just not an auto-pause, that I know of. I'm pretty sure Jade Empire had something similar. Mass Effect has nothing of the sort.

The KotOR games had auto-pause. I don't know if the option for auto-pause at the end of every round was there, but there were options such as pause on party member death, pause at start of combat, etc.

Personally I would recommend the Heroes of Might and Magic series (3 is my favorite). Technically it's a turn-based strategy game, but there are a lot of RPG elements and the combat plays like an RPG. I approve of it wholeheartedly. Might not be for you though.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:36 am UTC

Ralith The Third wrote:There's Exile 1,2, 3(?) and maybe more. Been AGES since I checked 'em out, but it's fully turn based.

Yes there is an Exile 3(and blades of exile), Avernum is the remake and continuation. Exile doesn't look as pretty but they're free!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:16 am UTC

Thendash wrote:Yes there is an Exile 3(and blades of exile), Avernum is the remake and continuation. Exile doesn't look as pretty but they're free!
You'd think they ought to be free by now, but you'd be wrong. Or so it seems.

Thendash

Postby Thendash » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:50 am UTC

Hmmm it seems I am wrong. I thought that was for ordering a physical copy of the game and that that was the charge for the disc, but after further investigation I am wrong. But, the source code for blades of exile is available on their site so that game is free at least.

Ralith The Third
Don't Ask About His Nephews

Postby Ralith The Third » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:23 am UTC

Thendash wrote:
Ralith The Third wrote:There's Exile 1,2, 3(?) and maybe more. Been AGES since I checked 'em out, but it's fully turn based.

Yes there is an Exile 3(and blades of exile), Avernum is the remake and continuation. Exile doesn't look as pretty but they're free!

I checked it out, and it's scary how long ago I was there, because there was only the first two when I was playing them and plans for a third...
Omni.

Tajfoon

Postby Tajfoon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Jagged Edge 2?
A bit light on the rpg-aspects perhaps. But it has great turnbased combat.
"How hard can it be?" -Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom.

"He gå int förklara för nån som int begrip!" - Ingemar stenmark.

Terebrant

Postby Terebrant » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:45 am UTC

Thendash wrote:

I see they remade Nethergate too. It was a good game, the historical premise was interesting.

tl.

Postby tl. » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 am UTC

I thought about making another thread, but this seems like fitting in quite nicely...

I was thinking of starting KotOR series again and now I wonder, are there any mods worth installing? I googled a few things, but without trying there seems to be no easy way of separating the good from the bad. anybody got experience with this?

Return to “Gaming”