Games you can't remember the title of.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Games you can't remember the title of.

Postby Felstaff » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:37 pm UTC

Sounds rather Super Monkey Ball-esque or Kula World (AKA Roll Away), but those were only on consoles, not PC. Is Tama: Adventurous Ball in Giddy Labyrinth (play it! It's fun!) more of what you're thinking of? (This game was only on PSX), or more Labyrinth marble tilting à la 3D Marble Flip.

• Neverball is also similar, but I'm not sure if there is an ice level.
  • Marble Blast, also, is similar but again no ice or chess board from what I recall (although you might want to watch the entire video...), the graphics are more cartoonish, and the background doesn't change.
  • At a longer shot, there's also Snowball Run, but the whole thing is slip-slidey, and the ball is a penguin balancing on a snowball, riding over a giant waffle (naturally).

I think perhaps someone else was looking for this game, also.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

sergiosergio

Postby sergiosergio » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:08 pm UTC

Hi, I have one to ask to you people, here we go:
* Background: Old adventure type game. In the Demo version (the only I played) you are in a tower of a cathedral/big church dressed as a priest. You have to avoid the lasers. Later you go out throw the window. The windows are beautiful.
* System: PC, win 95 / 98
* Year: mid / late 90s
* Perspective: Static camera, like the Resident Evil, Alone in the Dark o Gabriel Knight 3 (I thought it was this, but not)
* Art style: old 3D, but beautiful
* Environment: Inside of the tower of a medieval church. There are shelves with books? Lasers.
* Mood: you have to move carefully or the laser detects you
* Genre: adventure
* Gameplay: you used the cursors to move the guy, like in the LIB 2.

Thanks in advance! I would like to play this game again.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

Lasers, you say? Could it be Time Gate: Knight's Chase?
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aitd/aitd2.htm

Arch

Postby Arch » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm UTC

* Background: Possible some kind of space platform. Top down view.
* System: Dos / Windows 95 (do not remember exactly)
* Perspective: 2D . Can scroll after the character (like in Supaplex)
* Art Style: -
* Environment: I do not remember even how looks like the character itself or what is the sense of the game :( But what i do is the bad-guys - some of them looks like a rotating brown peanut. It rotates around itself on his place and can do moves. If he moved on character - he is moved in the turn he was moved. If two of these peanuts are met - a new peanut will born. Possible, in game was a magnet - if this peanut be near magnet - it will not moves anymore. Also, therer was some sections i can step only once - and they will be a hole. I can move a peanut to drop into a holes . Also this game has a level editor.
* Mood: I think it was in colors of Supaplex
* Genre: Logic. Maybe to collect something
* Gameplay: Keyboard arrows

I remembered about this game after i passed Supaplex. I will be grateful if someone can remember it.
Last edited by Arch on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:01 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

sergiosergio

Postby sergiosergio » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 pm UTC

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:38 pm UTC

Arch wrote:* Background: Possible some kind of space platform. Top down view.
* Perspective: 2D . Can scroll after the character (like in Supaplex)
* Art Style: -
* Environment: I do not remember even how looks like the character itself or what is the sense of the game :( But what i do is the bad-guys - some of them looks like a brown peanut. It turns around on his place and moves. If he moved on character - he is moved in the turn he was moved. If two of these peanuts are met - a new peanut will born. Possible, in game was a magnet - if this peanut be near magnet - it will not moves anymore. Also, therer was some sections i can step only once - and they will be a hole. I can move a peanut to drop into a holes . Also this game has a level editor.
* Mood: I think it was in colors of Supaplex
* Genre: Logic. Maybe to collect something
* Gameplay: Keyboard arrows

I remembered about this game after i passed Supaplex. I will be grateful if someone can remember it.

Robbo?
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Arch

Postby Arch » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:58 pm UTC

No, it is not Robbo.
* Background: Top down view.
* Environment: there were some sections i can step only once - and they will be a hole. I can move a peanut to drop into a holes . Also this game has a level editor.

And there are no a rotating brown peanuts in Robbo, so it is wrong game.
------------------------------
Just wanted to add the picture of this "bad guy" - in attachments. I am not an artist, just imagine that it is rotating - that's a peanut i mean. Yeah, it is not looks like a peanut, more like some another thing... Anyway, this is of an volume ellipse form and this is a bad guy)
Attachments
121.gif
121.gif (3.46 KiB) Viewed 14927 times
Last edited by Arch on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:03 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.

jotun

Postby jotun » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:43 am UTC

Here's one that someone on another forum asked.

It was an old website with flash or java games on it:

I wanna say I visited it pretty often in the late 90s, maybe early 2000s. There was a part of the site where you played games, but it wasn't like typical sites where you just click a link and you went to a different page. You walked around in first person in like a dungeon and there were a bunch of doors, each door had a different game. There was typical stuff like chess, checkers, connect four, battleship (I think), but then there were more interesting stuff like this dungeon crawler type game where you walked around using arrow keys on the screen and attacked monsters and collected treasure and stuff. Another game you had like..a commander or something, and you spawned monsters and stuff like fire to attack the opposing commander. But the game I remember most fondly was this turn-based game where you had a monster and you battled other people's monster, every time you won you got some sort of credit and you used that credit to buy different parts for your monster (Tail, body and head) that all had different stats and attacks. I distinctly remember an alien head with a really strong bite attack, wanna say there was also a griffin body with a claw attack. There was also a lot of win trading and "a/s/l?"s.

A few times a year, this site just randomly pops into my head and I half-heartedly search around for it but can never find it.

It sounds very familiar to me too, but I can't think of it.

amandaetucker2

Postby amandaetucker2 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:54 am UTC

I'm looking for an old PC game I use to play in the early 2000s. It was a game on a compilation PC cd rom. It was a side scroller game with a man that went into a castle. You would open doors, fight the zombies, and collect colored keys. You then used the colored keys to get into colored doors to fight more zombies. I think I remember there were also some type of serpent/snake in some of the rooms that were in water that you had to try to kill.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 am UTC

Arch wrote:No, it is not Robbo.
* Background: Top down view.
* Environment: there were some sections i can step only once - and they will be a hole. I can move a peanut to drop into a holes . Also this game has a level editor.

And there are no a rotating brown peanuts in Robbo, so it is wrong game.
------------------------------
Just wanted to add the picture of this "bad guy" - in attachments. I am not an artist, just imagine that it is rotating - that's a peanut i mean. Yeah, it is not looks like a peanut, more like some another thing... Anyway, this is of an volume ellipse form and this is a bad guy)

Dimo's Quest?

X-It? (Amiga screenshot)
X-It Amiga.png
X-It Amiga.png (7.29 KiB) Viewed 14849 times

Switch?
Switch DOS.png
Switch DOS.png (22.23 KiB) Viewed 14849 times

Doubts all three.

Arch

Postby Arch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:07 am UTC

Deva, really thanks for your help. But all three games are wrong (X-It - can not find this game on Dos, however i think this game is wrong too)
You are found games with some kind of view from the front. For ex., The Machines (not the Incredible Machines) has the true view from the top.
I thought that a brown volume ellipse bad guy is a "key" to find this game. If someone saw how they propagate and how they fall into a hole - it is unforgettably.

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:24 am UTC

Tends to omit enemies in (written) game descriptions. Could call it anything too, such as peanut, ellipse, circle, oval, blob, potato, hole, or an official name. Might only appear in specific levels also. Looked for games similar to Chip's Challenge, Rodent's Revenge, Supaplex, and Boulderdash. Left a lot of games. Never expected to find it. Chose some specific games due to a space theme, level editor, single-step tiles, and/or magnets.

Arch

Postby Arch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:36 am UTC

Deva, you know, i am searching this game not first year... not every day, of course. However, i saw a lot of screenshots more than thousand DOS game (i was seeing them by about a 2 weaks). Was seeing screenshots of such a phrases like "DOS game magnet" or/and "collect", "brown", "boulder", "editor", "puzzle", "logic", etc,etc...
But as you already said, it is possible that they appears not in the first level and they just were not on these screenshots.
Could call it anything too, such as peanut, ellipse, circle, oval, blob, potato, hole, or an official name

Hey, this is all what i have to describe. And there are not a lot of games where you can move an enemy to a hole.
The ONLY hope is someone who already played that game before. Instead of downloading,launching and playing a round or two of ANY similar game. The reason i specially registered here.

tat_b

Postby tat_b » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:24 pm UTC

I played a game when I was little (mid 90s) I think on Windows 95 and MS-DOS platforms. It was a puzzle game. You controlleda blonde/brown haired boy and needed to get coloured keys in order to open locks with the same colour and proceed to the next stage. Sometimes the area (it was gray with squares) had some obstacles like water, spikes or blocks. I looked for this game almost everywhere and couldn't find it. Please help.

Deva

Postby Deva » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 pm UTC

Chip's Challenge?
Chip's_Challenge.png
Chip's_Challenge.png (38.84 KiB) Viewed 14719 times

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 pm UTC

OK, my turn. This game might be "Very Old" (aka before 1985)...

* System: PC. DOS-based.
* Year: Mid-80's to very early 90's.
* Art style: 16-color.
* Environment: Dying a lot! Everything killed you.
* Mood: Darkly comedic.
* Genre: Text Adventure.
* Gameplay: Multiple choice (single letter or number input), IIRC. (Possibly a simple text parser.)

It came to our home computer in the early 90's (1990-1992ish) on a floppy disk from a co-worker of my dad's. So for all I know, if it's not findable out there, it was programmed by a friend of a friend of his and never published, but I doubt it. There were a few other games I distinctly remember being on the disk: one was the rougelike Castle Adventure (1984), which I loved, but was [virtually] unbeatable due to the monsters not being adapted for our faster processor speeds. Another was a Civil War simulator where you just picked how many troops and how much money to invest in each battle. There was one called GTW based on WarGames. There was also a 3-D game of Pac-man, where you were in the maze and used the arrow keys, and was animated very simply, but fun.

ANYWAY, this game I'm looking for:

* Background: It was a classic text adventure game, likely compiled from Q Basic (although GWBasic would have also been possible I suppose), with flashing gaudy 16-choice colors for the text and the background color (different for each cluster of locations.) I don't think it had a parser, though - every page was multiple-choice response, IIRC. (I might be wrong about this, though... it's possible only some of the screens were like this, and the rest was a simple text parser.) So, with only a relatively small finite number of games to play, the game should have been easily winnable by trial and error. Except that I don't think the game was at all winnable (at least I never found the solution!) but was instead a way for you to die in myriad ways. Always with the flashing quote, "IGNOMINIOUSLY, YOU DIE!"

Specific things I remember:
The starting location was a swamp. A troll in a speedboat is barreling down on you, and if you don't dive underwater, you die. It's easier to list what to do to not die, really... anyway, you go underwater, and you're apparently in a sewer with train tracks. If you stay too long, you get run over by a "pig (not the oinking kind)." You come to a room with three boxes: one cardboard, one aluminum, and one lead. The lead one has a lump of plutonium in it; I forget what was in the other two, but one probably had a key in it, or gold you needed later, or something like that. Somehow you get to an elevator, which gives you a dozen or so choices. The top choice is an alpine cliff; you can grab onto a pterodactyl and hang-glide for a while. If you jump off at the right point, you land in a cave with a bear. Etc. Etc. At some point you can get onto a life raft in the ocean, surrounded by "lawyers (sharks)."

Anybody have a clue?
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

An unusual request! The opening track to the Grumbling Fur album Glynnaestra (Spotify link) (Grooveshark link) samples an early 16-bit 90s game intro (or possibly cracktro MIDI sequence). Does anybody know the game/cracker in question? It's driving me crazy!
Last edited by Felstaff on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:03 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: added the helpful Grooveshark link from below
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:10 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:An unusual request! The opening track to the Grumbling Fur album Glynnaestra (Spotify link) samples an early 16-bit 90s game intro (or possibly cracktro MIDI sequence). Does anybody know the game/cracker in question? It's driving me crazy!

My first thought was Robotron but it's not that, and in fact sounds a lot like Joust (probably reused clips). Here's a grooveshark link to the track you reference so people don't need to log in to hear it.
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:06 am UTC

Thanks, but it was music I was looking for. I found it; it's the SKiDROW crack intro for Lemmings on the Amiga 500. More specifically, it's a 16-bit rendition of Pachelbel's Canon. The opening noises sounds very similar to the Grumbling Fur song.

slix122

Postby slix122 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:47 am UTC

Hi guys! I'm looking for a old PC game on windows, I'm pretty sure its a 1995-1999 game. It's a point-to-click adventure game. Sorry , but the description will be pretty vague, I hardly remember anything at all haha. You control this blond character with spikes, I think he has black glasses or maybe hes wearing a sort of bandana around his eyes that makes it look like glasses. I remember him walking around like a pinguin and he also doesn't talk much, most of the time he just makes noises. I don't know if you guy have any clues, or if you want to post a game that you think matches the description, feel free to post it! You could say that the game was around monkey island and Eartworm Jimmy, I remember playing these 2 games around that time too. Thanks alot, and sorry again for the bad description haha

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

slix122

Postby slix122 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:34 pm UTC

You are awesome thanks alot! How did you find that game with that description haha

Deva

Postby Deva » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:54 pm UTC

Searched "Point and Click" games on Giant Bomb. Knew the rough timeframe. Indicated a fairly cartoony game. Ignored dark and serious possibilities. Described two distinct features: hair and a black facial object. (Focused on hair first.) Ought to appear immediately in most screenshots and videos.

vbkid

Postby vbkid » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:03 pm UTC

* Background: Room to room text based adventure game. Thought it was called like 'Quasar's Caverns' Probably came on a shareware disk.
* Perspective: 2D map view, rectangular grid
* Art Style: minimal, just the map and text
* Environment: You woke up in the caverns or something, had to go through a maze or dungeon in a 2d overhead view, would encounter monsters or treasure in each room (text only as far as that went).
* Mood: Blues/Green/Browns I believe. Lot's of Monty Python references, you could find hoyl hand grenades and fight a killer rabbit I know.
* Genre: Adventure, maybe to kill/find something.
* Gameplay: Keyboard arrows, input text commands

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

vbkid

Postby vbkid » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:54 pm UTC

Thank you.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:43 pm UTC

* System: PC / Windows
* Year: 2005?
* Art style: A bit like Myst, I guess, except better rendered? I think it was pre-rendered, or at least it didn't have a lot of animation. There was no live-action video.
* Environment: Slightly weird and alien.
* Mood: Lot of emphasis on puzzles.
* Genre: Adventure.
* Gameplay: First person adventure.

In the mid 2000s, I played a first person adventure game. It put a lot of emphasis on puzzles, and I don't think it had very many NPCs. Weird nature, old ruins and weird artifacts. I think the game started in a weird sort of like spaceship / submarine place that was a bit steampunk.

Games in the same genre that it's not: Myst / Riven / anything in that string of games. Amerzone / Syberia / other Benoit Sokal games. RHEM. The Journeyman Project. Starship Titanic. Schizm. Frogwares' Sherlock Holmes games.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Deva

Postby Deva » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:00 pm UTC

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:07 pm UTC

I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

jelanders

Postby jelanders » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:42 pm UTC

I'm trying to post a message here to ask about a game I used to play in the 90's, but I keep getting the message that "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." Help?

er453r

Postby er453r » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

* Background: Action-adventure-indiana-jones-type game. I remember it started at a station/bar somewhere in South America. After that you had to 2.5D drive a truck through the jungle, avoid rocks. You arrived at this Mayan/Aztec temple and there were a lot of snakes, and it switched to a side-scroller. That is all I can remember...
* System: DOS
* Year: ~1994 when I've played it
* Perspective: FPP for driving, side scroller
* Art style: Sprite based
* Environment: South America/Aztec/Mayan
* Mood: Indiana Jones vibe/Mystery/Adventure
* Genre: Adventure
* Gameplay: Mixed, side scroller

Deva

Postby Deva » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:11 am UTC

jelanders wrote:I'm trying to post a message here to ask about a game I used to play in the 90's, but I keep getting the message that "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." Help?

Did it contain any images, links, or product names? (Includes quoted sections.) Targets those.

er453r wrote:* Background: Action-adventure-indiana-jones-type game. I remember it started at a station/bar somewhere in South America. After that you had to 2.5D drive a truck through the jungle, avoid rocks. You arrived at this Mayan/Aztec temple and there were a lot of snakes, and it switched to a side-scroller. That is all I can remember...
* System: DOS
* Year: ~1994 when I've played it
* Perspective: FPP for driving, side scroller
* Art style: Sprite based
* Environment: South America/Aztec/Mayan
* Mood: Indiana Jones vibe/Mystery/Adventure
* Genre: Adventure
* Gameplay: Mixed, side scroller

Le Fetiche Maya?

er453r

Postby er453r » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:49 am UTC

Yes, Deva, that is it! Thank you.

Moose Anus

Postby Moose Anus » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

jelanders wrote:I'm trying to post a message here to ask about a game I used to play in the 90's, but I keep getting the message that "This message was flagged as spam and has been denied." Help?
Power Piggs of the Dark Age?
Lemonade? ...Aww, ok.

Lukewilkins123

Postby Lukewilkins123 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

* System: PC / Windows
* Year: 2001ish
* Art style: Cartoon style animation.
* Environment:
* Mood: Light-hearted
* Genre: Adventure.
* Gameplay: Birds eye action and puzzle solving

I remember a game I played from years ago where you play as a cartoon wizard (blue or purple I believe) and you have a health and mana bar. You have to collect keys to advance and can shoot fireballs I believe. There's a birds eye view and I remember there being spiders that you have to fight at one stage, my memory is sadly quite hazy but I'll appreciate it if anyone has any idea as to what game this is, been searching for quite a long time for it!

Deva

Postby Deva » Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm UTC

Quick guess: Mystic Towers?

Edit: Does this ring a bell?
Trying to find out the name of this game for yeeeears... It is old roughly from 1995+ (I know not much to go by)
It was a 2d cartoony game in which the camera is in the sky facing down, It isnt side scrolling it is more like one of the first Zelda games.
It was an RPG type game i beleive and i dont remember a huge deal about this game but i do know you play as a purple or blue wizard wearing the normal wizard setup (big pointy hat and robes)
I remember that you collect books that make you stronger or give you new spells or something and there is one boss thats a big ogre and your in a cave, i remember a forest level and a floating castle level. I also remember that in the game there is lamps and you collect new armor and items. If anyone can remember this game i would appreciate it sooo much its a game me and my dad used to play when i was a little boy and i have alot of memorys playing it with him. It was also on the PC and i think it was made after 2000 but i cant be sure.
sorry i dont have more info but will edit if i do, If you have ANYTHING even if you dont think its close PLEASE reply!

EDIT: My dad has told me its a also got some puzzles in it and that it has spiders... (Yeah dad real helpful.. spiders!)

(Received no answers. May help with memory.)

Edit2: Smirks. Found one from here. Guessed Mystic Towers too. Never answered either.
Ridley wrote:Game: Some type of dungeon crawler with the main character being a comical wizard in a purple (or blue) robe
Approximate timeframe: 1990-1995 (I believe there was a demo of it on an old PC gamer disc with the Cocoanut Monkey and Isle of the Dead.
Concept: It was a top-down view at an angle, you move in a grid pattern across multiple floors of a tower. Your wizard can collect power-ups and keys in order to move up and down the different floors. I remember him having a silly grin on his face. There were all sorts of comical monsters that would move along the grid to touch you, which made your character jump back a space.

I really need to know the name of this game!!! Thanks! :)

Polixenes

Postby Polixenes » Wed May 27, 2015 3:09 pm UTC

A PC game from the 90s, pre-windows. It was a first person perspective but not with a moveable camera, and static images. It might have been a gaming magazine freebie.

Set on a military spaceship, you were a grunt soldier sent to quell the natives on the planet below. It was more of an interactive story with minimal gameplay. The enemy planet has a toxic environment and soldiers would wear a combat suit which incorporated a HUD incorporating what the game called Top Hat software (how do I remember that?). There are skirmishes against the nasty insect aliens but I don't think there was actual gameplay combat. There was real actor footage and one of the characters in the game tried to tell you the whole set up was a conspiracy, that Top Hat is feeding us false images.

At the end of the game your suit is compromised on the planet's surface, and your helmet comes off but instead of a toxic environment, you see that the planet and its inhabitants are beautiful humanoids and not the macabre insects your HUD was programmed to tell you. It appears the military are murdering innocents instead of fighting aliens. However your suit cuts in with an automatic euthanasia program and you get a 10 second count down to your death and the game's end. I don't think there wasy other possible ending.

Deva

Postby Deva » Wed May 27, 2015 3:16 pm UTC

Polixenes

Postby Polixenes » Wed May 27, 2015 4:51 pm UTC

Deva wrote:Quantum Gate?

Absolutely! Thank you Deva.

gigib

Postby gigib » Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm UTC

Spam filter is being a meanie, can't manage to post no matter what.

Return to “Gaming”