The Tetris Thread.

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

villadelfia

The Tetris Thread.

Postby villadelfia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

In this thread it's all about tetris. Which game do you prefer, what are your favorite rotation rules etcetera...

As for me, at the moment I've been playing heboris a lot since Arika does not want to bring TGM3:Ti to the pc, and I do not have a nice and convenient Japanese arcade nearby.

I have fudged together a nice install of heboris which has the look and feel of TGM3 (but not shirase mode :() and I'm going to upload it shortly.

disclaimer: I do not think I'm very good at tetris, but at least I'm a mediocre player. I can get about 450 lines in 20G mode before I die a horrid death

EDIT: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yv3ba1
Last edited by villadelfia on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Sir_Elderberry

Re: The Tetris Thread.

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:01 am UTC

I play tetris sometimes when I get bored. I'm playing a pirated version of the old Best of Entertainment pack Tetris. No frills. No mess. Just blocks. And they hate you.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I found dance mat tetris once. I still play it sometimes, as when you make a mistake, it's much easier to blame it on the mat sticking than on a bad keyboard/joypad. I would say that I'm good at tetris, but I'm probably nothing compared to many, so I'll say that I am at least proud of my tetris skillz.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

ohnoesmilk

Postby ohnoesmilk » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 am UTC

i enjoy the classic tetris. good music, good times.
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 am UTC

I play the Konami Code version for NES on my emulator, or just play some random version online.

A truly epic game.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 am UTC

Oh god, can we hide this thread from Cassi?

That girl is a tetris fiend.

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:32 pm UTC

My favorite tetris is the 'Firing Line' map for Starcraft: Brood War, simply because of how needlessly complicated the scripting was.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

M.qrius
Rainbow Brite

Postby M.qrius » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:37 pm UTC

I like to have everyone play this game I have on my computer, before I explain to them what it is.
It's pretty fun to see them play 'normal' tetris, while not being able to get over 5 lines before dying.
The reason is that bastet tries to give you the worst block possible for your given situation. It even has a nice window which shows a block and says "You're not getting this one".

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Oh god, can we hide this thread from Cassi?

That girl is a tetris fiend.

Hee.

I mainly just play tetris ds. It's nice, but also really bloody irritating -- it stops telling you how many lines you've gotten once you hit 999. (However, I did eventually discover that it continues to level up, so I can have a rough estimate of how many lines I have from there.) Also, it plays weird music.
une see wrote:Cass, YOU are my favorite!

SomeoneElse

Postby SomeoneElse » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:10 pm UTC

I usually try and avoid Tetris, because I won't be able to stop playing if I start. I used to have the original GameBoy version but i lost it :(.. so I play any version of Tetris I can get my hands on - a crappy Java one on my phone, the easter-egg one in uTorrent, or a random flash game..... hangon, brb.

*75 lines later*
I suck at Tetris once it gets too fast at about level 9, but i can probably blame that on Flash games being too slow. Still addictive though. Now Bejeweled, there's an addictive game...

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:50 pm UTC

I have to try not to bring my ds to school, because when I do, I spend every spare moment playing tetris. My friends tend not to be impressed. :P

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:24 pm UTC

Your DS is officially banned on the 20th of January.

Cassi

Postby Cassi » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

You are such a spoilsport sometimes!

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I actually have the original four Entertainment Packs from Windows. I am willing to somehow send people the Tetris file if they tell me how they want it set. It will run on XP 32-bit PCs just fine. Not sure about Vista though.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

zenten

Postby zenten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

M.qrius wrote:I like to have everyone play this game I have on my computer, before I explain to them what it is.
It's pretty fun to see them play 'normal' tetris, while not being able to get over 5 lines before dying.
The reason is that bastet tries to give you the worst block possible for your given situation. It even has a nice window which shows a block and says "You're not getting this one".

Sweet, I just got 4 lines on it. I rule.

JayDee

Postby JayDee » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:14 am UTC

I keep my gba handy so I can play GameBoy Tetris every now and then, even though I have Tetris DS.

My favourite would have to be Tetripz which combines Tetris with heavy drug use.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

I have racked up many, many hours of original NES Tetris in my life. I've made it to level 20 a few times and I've gotten close to 500,000 points, but never quite broken it.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 pm UTC

I have not played enough Tetris to call myself a real gamer, but at least I have played one that is supposed to match the original pretty closely in its gameplay. Now that posting links is probably okay (Oh, joy!), I can give this link to "Standard Tetris":

http://colinfahey.com/tetris/tetris.html

Link to the zip package should not be hard to find, it's in the beginning of the page. The same page also shows many interesting-looking Tetris variants and implementations. Non-two-dimensional Tetrises look a bit wacky, especially the ones with more than three dimensions. The page also has interesting reading on the history of the game and on an Tetris-playing A.I (which actually is the main point and topic of the page).

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:06 pm UTC

I don't play Tetris. My mom, on the other hand... I remember from my youth watching her get to level 23. I don't think she ever hit 24 though.

Solid Freeman
Location: On the outskirts of the one of the smallest of the biggest of the second smallest.

Postby Solid Freeman » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:11 am UTC

SomeoneElse wrote:I usually try and avoid Tetris, because I won't be able to stop playing if I start. I used to have the original GameBoy version but i lost it :(.. so I play any version of Tetris I can get my hands on - a crappy Java one on my phone, the easter-egg one in uTorrent, or a random flash game..... hangon, brb.

*75 lines later*
I suck at Tetris once it gets too fast at about level 9, but i can probably blame that on Flash games being too slow. Still addictive though. Now Bejeweled, there's an addictive game...

Easter egg one in uTorrent? Do tell. :o
Can I get a "Fuck yeah, bismuth!"? (bismuth picture in spoiler)

Spoiler:

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:18 am UTC

My sister's school has been going through a tetris craze, where the all play the same online version of tetris (nblox, by neave). She was the first person in her class to get past level 10... but you should have seen the look on her face when I got 1000 lines on her computer. She now thinks I'm some sort of god :mrgreen:

M.qrius wrote:I like to have everyone play this game I have on my computer, before I explain to them what it is.

I actually managed to get 12 lines on this once (without cheating by making ceilings). My proudest accomplishment.

I really wonder what it would be like if it had to tell you the next piece. I imagine it would be a hell of a lot more fun (regular tetris always bored me a bit).
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

TomBot

Postby TomBot » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:00 am UTC

Back in the day I wrote my own Tetris clone in Visual Basic. I then made Pentris, that is, Tetris with pentominoes. Unfortunately, even expanded to a 40x20 grid, it was really hard to play, so I also added a mix mode that included 4, 3, 2, and 1-block pieces.

One other thing I tried was a difficulty system. It worked by recording which pieces caused you to make the most empty squares with filled squares above them. Then, depending on whether the difficulty was easy or hard, it would weight against or for those pieces.

Despite all that, I'm not actually very good at Tetris. Gameboy Tetris is the one to emulate, though.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:57 am UTC

Before this day, I had never actually played Tetris. I downloaded the Standard Tetris build Ubik linked, and I just spent the last half hour playing. Something tells me I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the computer soon... (like I don't already)
All is well. We are not like the others.

Mandiful

Postby Mandiful » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:58 am UTC

Oh, Tetris . . .
My only true love.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:12 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:Before this day, I had never actually played Tetris. I downloaded the Standard Tetris build Ubik linked, and I just spent the last half hour playing. Something tells me I'm going to be spending a lot of time on the computer soon... (like I don't already)

That's a joke right. You never played Tetris before? Never? Have you been living in a cave in a hole in another hole, in another cave since you were born?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

Ishindri wrote:I had never actually played Tetris.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. What language is that?

Can those words be used in the same sentence like that?
PRG

An important message for you:

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

I used to play ZTetris, which used to be the best version for the TI calculators. I would blaze away on my TI-86 getting absolutely obscene high scores. I eventually had to drop that and Phoenix off the calculator to save my grades. Great game, though, and the TI-86 felt like a more "active" matrix screen, which kept the motion from blurring. I'm sure the screen wasn't active matrix but it was at least darker.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:52 pm UTC

:( My poor TI-86 has developed a dead row of pixels.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:19 am UTC

I used to spend at least an hour a day playing Lockjaw (freeware customizable Tetris clone).
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:42 am UTC

I quite liked what are apparently called Square Platforming as featured in The New Tetris and Tetris Worlds; it added a nifty new dimension to the game - that is, a new way to tempt one into making risky moves while waiting for specific pieces. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have made its way into many other revisions.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:13 am UTC

I started on the original Tetris. In high school, I would randomly astound people with mad skillz on the TI-89.
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 pm UTC

aion7 wrote:That's a joke right. You never played Tetris before? Never? Have you been living in a cave in a hole in another hole, in another cave since you were born?
PatrickRsGhost wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. What language is that?

Can those words be used in the same sentence like that?
Yeeaaahhh... The closest I ever came was Meteos, I think.
All is well. We are not like the others.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:28 pm UTC

What is that version called ??
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

Torvaun

Postby Torvaun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:48 pm UTC

no-genius wrote:

What is that version called ??
Hawknc wrote:I don't know if you've never heard of trolling, or if you're just very good at it.

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm UTC

haha, I play tetris on my TI-84 SE during class :)
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

The Ethos

Postby The Ethos » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:09 pm UTC

While classic tetris is good (I guess it would have to be the Game Boy one because I need the russian music)...I do enjoy my Tetris DS (with what I would call good ol' Cheat/Hold button) (also, keep rotating, and you can think indefinately)

Don't have much in the way of fancier Tetri, but I did enjoy a isometric/3d version when I was a kid where you dropped blocks into this square pit. I'm sure it was a knockoff of some actual game, but it was cool when I was younger.

/P.S....did I have a stroke? When the hell did the TI-84 come out? I thought it went 83-85-86-89???
Thanks, and have a Scientastic day! - Dr. Venture

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Just played a bit of Bastet, and wow is that . . . not fun. :(

I kept getting confused and thinking the "never gonna get it" box really was the "next piece" box. Although at least once, I did end up getting the "never" piece as the next one, but just because I blocked the place where it would have gone.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:05 am UTC

The Ethos wrote:Don't have much in the way of fancier Tetri, but I did enjoy a isometric/3d version when I was a kid where you dropped blocks into this square pit. I'm sure it was a knockoff of some actual game, but it was cool when I was younger.

Probably Block Out, though Spectrum Holobyte's official version (inferior, as I recall) was called "Welltris". And of course for the real 3D feel, there's V-Tetris for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a shareware or freeware alternative out there somewhere.

(Anyone remember "Faces" or "Hatris"? Mr. Pazhitnov's other creations were not as successful.)

fishyfish777

Postby fishyfish777 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:03 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
The Ethos wrote:Don't have much in the way of fancier Tetri, but I did enjoy a isometric/3d version when I was a kid where you dropped blocks into this square pit. I'm sure it was a knockoff of some actual game, but it was cool when I was younger.

Probably Block Out, though Spectrum Holobyte's official version (inferior, as I recall) was called "Welltris". And of course for the real 3D feel, there's V-Tetris for the Nintendo Virtual Boy. I'd be surprised if there wasn't a shareware or freeware alternative out there somewhere.

(Anyone remember "Faces" or "Hatris"? Mr. Pazhitnov's other creations were not as successful.)

Ahh, Hatris. I bought that for a friend as a joke.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:And of course for the real 3D feel, there's V-Tetris for the Nintendo Virtual Boy.

There were actually two tetris games for the VB: V-Tetris and 3D Tetris. V-Tetris was pretty much the same as the original with some 3D visuals, while 3D Tetris actually had play in a 3-D environment. I own 3D Tetris and it's a pretty decent game.

Pazhitnov also had a game called Clockwerx that was OK. You controlled clock hands that swung around different pivot points to navigate from a start goal to a finish goal. I had fun with it for a while.

Return to “Gaming”