New Games for me Come the 25th

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Boatz!

New Games for me Come the 25th

Postby Boatz! » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:36 pm UTC

GHIII and Super Mario Galaxy, and I am quite anxious to play them both.

I know GH is awesome, but can anyone tell me about Galaxy? Is it really the outstanding game everyone says it is?
Remember, eating mushrooms is illegal on other planets. Especially Jupiter. I dunno what those guys eat. o_O

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Re: New Games for me Come the 25th

Postby Geekthras » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

I may be getting hl2 ep 1-2. Happy day!
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Goofy-Boots

Postby Goofy-Boots » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:53 pm UTC

galaxies wasn't as good as everyone says it is in my opinion. i thought super mario 64 was much better. i dunno i just thought in 64 i remember having a favorite level and such and each level was specifically different, in galaxies their all the same, just run around some planets looking for stars.

anyways i never played gh so i might pick up rock band haha

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:17 pm UTC

I might get bioshock, if I don't get it for xmas I'll have to get it myself.
http://www.geekyhumanist.blogspot.com -- Science and the Concerned Voter
Belial wrote:You are the coolest guy that ever cooled.

I reiterate. Coolest. Guy.

Well. You heard him.

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:I might get bioshock, if I don't get it for xmas I'll have to cut myself.

fix'd :?:
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

aaron

Postby aaron » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

My friend got Galaxies for his birthday, and amazingly, you can have 2 people play it once. One person plays Mario while the other plays a Navi-esque sphere of hovering light.

This second person controlling said sphere can also make Mario jump. This can lead to many hilarious (and stressful) situations for the person controlling Mario.

NOTE: Before you try this, be sure you have a good relationship with the person controlling Mario. Doing this to a girlfriend, casual acquaintance or psychopath will most likely result in an end of a relationship, a person disgusted with you, and possibly the death of your cat.

So there's a segment in Mario Galaxies where the level is 2-d side scrolling and the room is separated in half. The top half has gravity pulling upward whereas the bottom half has gravity pulling downward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
^^^
| | |

GRAVITY
| |
\/ \/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this picture makes sense. Anyway, you run along the bottom of the level until you get to a point where you jump on the ceiling.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| | \/
--- -|-
O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, as you can see, there is a pedestal near the end which Mario has to get over in order to continue the level. But however, if the person who is controlling Navi is bitter because he/she is controlling Navi (and to be honest, it's pretty boring) you make Mario jump at the opportune time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| |
---

O
-|-
/\
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and oh, dear! You have to start all over again!

I did this to my friend for about 20 minutes before I got bored and did something else.

It's pretty fun, but it's no Mario 64 TBQH.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:00 am UTC

I don't get games, ever.
I have to get them myself, but at least I'll have the money for that, Christmas rush ftw!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

FACM

Postby FACM » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Im hoping for Geometry Wars Galaxies and/or Front Mission myself.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:31 am UTC

I'm playing through Galaxy with my mom. We have mixed feelings towards it (but are both eager to start playing).

On the one hand, the co-op is a decent way to include people in gaming who don't play much; the second person is useful (although they have something to do maybe a third to a half of the time) but never necessary (so there is very rarely a failure caused by the second person). But, if the person you want to play with is already used to gaming or the sort who wants to do be more than a spectator most of the time? You're better off doing it single player.

The game has its fun moments, and is generally good. Its main failing is that it's easy, and when it's hard, it's hard for the wrong reasons. You can never make a choice that ends poorly (well, I suppose 'choosing' to jump off the edge), and you'll have so many 1-Ups that you see the rationale behind resetting you to 4 1-Ups every time you restart the game (after an hour of playing, we routinely have 20-30 1-Ups; keep in mind this game lasts around 30 hours if you go for everything). The difficult parts are the parts where you're forced (well, not really- the game never forces you to do something, and if you're content with just saving the Princess, you can easily sidestep annoying missions) to go through some stage without making a single mistake, which often manifests itself as a race (by which we mean, race against this NPC that never makes a mistake, and so you have to do the same and use all the shortcuts to win). That's more a game of concentration than skill or strategy.
Last edited by Vaniver on Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:18 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:37 am UTC

I think I hated Mario Sunshine enough that Galaxy will feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'm in the same boat as you, Maseiken. I don't ask for games because I know that I won't get them (my dad's a postal clerk and we don't spend 50 bucks a pop for presents). Instead, I try to legitimate my music collection come Christmas by asking for CDs that I've pirated. I'm closing the gap little by little with the Flaming Lips trifecta coming my way. . .

Boatz!

Postby Boatz! » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:49 am UTC

Hmmm....interesting. Everyone of my friends and every Wii mag I picked up used, at some point, the phrase 'an extraordinary adventure from start to finish' but you lovely folks over here have given me a mixed bag.

Oh well. Even if it is crap I'll have GH3 (albeit MONO!!!!!)
Remember, eating mushrooms is illegal on other planets. Especially Jupiter. I dunno what those guys eat. o_O

spelunker

Postby spelunker » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:08 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:I think I hated Mario Sunshine enough that Galaxy will feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'm in the same boat as you, Maseiken. I don't ask for games because I know that I won't get them (my dad's a postal clerk and we don't spend 50 bucks a pop for presents). Instead, I try to legitimate my music collection come Christmas by asking for CDs that I've pirated. I'm closing the gap little by little with the Flaming Lips trifecta coming my way. . .

Count me in that boat. I just by games for myself from some of the money I get.

It's totally understandable, though; I'm not bitter that sis gets me a good CD instead of Crysis or something.

Oh, and I've played some Galaxy and I thought it was freaking awesome.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:51 am UTC

First of all: Galaxy=/=Galaxies. Galaxy is Super Mario Galaxy. Galaxies is Geometry Wars Galaxies. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Secondly:
Boatz! wrote:can anyone tell me about Galaxy? Is it really the outstanding game everyone says it is?
Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: It is great. The level design may be the best, ever. It's very fun, until you beat most of the levels, at which time it becomes almost a responsibility to get everything. It's quite annoying to get all the comet stars. Really, the only problems are that it's a bit short, and should be harder.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:54 am UTC

So, it's the 25th now, how did everyone do? I did get bioshock, so woot woot.

Well. You heard him.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:36 am UTC

Eh, I got what I wanted. . . not too much.

The "Ender" series in trade paperback format, socks, two albums and some new echo waterproofs.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:55 am UTC

I used my Christmas Money to Buy Twilight Princess and Super Mario Galaxies.

I was agonising over them for 20 minutes before I realised I could get both, and have enough left over for a good pile of comics, and STILL have leftover.

I love Grandparents.
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:57 pm UTC

I got Halo, Halo 2, Armored Core 4, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Final Fantasy (PSP). I was quite sad that I didn't get a single PC game, nor a "new" RPG.
It's okay, I'm Chaotic Neutral. I can kill him over the loot.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:28 pm UTC

I got Guitar hero II and III, so uh, don't expect me to post much for a while...

Sir_Elderberry

Postby Sir_Elderberry » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:49 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:I got Halo, Halo 2, Armored Core 4, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Final Fantasy (PSP). I was quite sad that I didn't get a single PC game, nor a "new" RPG.

Wait, Final Fantasy...I? Alone? On the PSP? When it comes bundled with the (admittedly inferior) FFII on GBA? Why?

I've played through FFI a lot...I'm currently on a mission to beat it with a all possible single-class parties. All fighters was easy, all red mages was expensive (everyone needs spells and equipment) but nothing too bad. I'm on monks now. Then I"ll do thieves, black mages, and then (shudder) white mages.

Well. You heard him.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Sir_Elderberry wrote:
pieaholicx wrote:I got Halo, Halo 2, Armored Core 4, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, and Final Fantasy (PSP). I was quite sad that I didn't get a single PC game, nor a "new" RPG.

Wait, Final Fantasy...I? Alone? On the PSP? When it comes bundled with the (admittedly inferior) FFII on GBA? Why?

I've played through FFI a lot...I'm currently on a mission to beat it with a all possible single-class parties. All fighters was easy, all red mages was expensive (everyone needs spells and equipment) but nothing too bad. I'm on monks now. Then I"ll do thieves, black mages, and then (shudder) white mages.

Yes, alone. However, it has updated graphics, the FMVs from the PS1 release, the bonus dungeon from the GBA release, and a new bonus dungeon. They also re-released FF2 for it as well which has updated graphics, FMVs, the GBA bonus dungeons, and 2 more bonus dungeons where you can get highly powerful spells, and character specific equipment.
Overexposure to pieaholicx may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth.

aaron

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:39 pm UTC

I hope you enjoy Shadow of the Colossus. One of my favorite games ever. It's gorgeous.

Geekthras
3) What if it's delicious?

Postby Geekthras » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:02 am UTC

I ended up using some gift cardness to get RE4 on the Wii. Awesomesauce.
Wait. With a SPOON?!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:11 am UTC

Rodan wrote:I got Guitar hero II and III, so uh, don't expect me to post much for a while...

...and then the guitar broke... :(
...and then I replaced it! And bought the Orange Box! :D

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:13 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:And bought the Orange Box! :D

The best decision you will ever make in life is buying the Orange Box.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:17 pm UTC

I got Dead Rising (Zombies :D) and Halo 3...and indirectly, Lego Star Wars 1 and 2 for PC and Shivering Isles...

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:26 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:I got Dead Rising (Zombies :D)

This reminds me of being mad at my Xbox. It keeps giving me an error when I try to download the Dead Rising demo. :cry:

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:25 am UTC

pieaholicx wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:I got Dead Rising (Zombies :D)

This reminds me of being mad at my Xbox. It keeps giving me an error when I try to download the Dead Rising demo. :cry:

It's not your Xbox, it's something with the marketplace. I had the same problem.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Rodan wrote:
Rodan wrote:I got Guitar hero II and III, so uh, don't expect me to post much for a while...

...and then Portal kept breaking my computer... :(
...and then it turned out to be a driver problem... :D
and then it turned out driver problems are FUCKING HARD TO FIX, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY INVOLVE ATI :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:37 am UTC

Rodan wrote:
Rodan wrote:

and then it turned out driver problems are FUCKING HARD TO FIX, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY INVOLVE ATI :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

nVidia FTW?

Sadly, not. I've had some nasty problems with them as well. Still use them though. Once you get it though, that will be the most amazing game you will ever play. Ever.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:43 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:
Rodan wrote:
Rodan wrote:

nVidia FTW?

Sadly, not. I've had some nasty problems with them as well. Still use them though. Once you get it though, that will be the most amazing game you will ever play. Ever.

That's proving hard. So far I've made it worse. Twice.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

watch out for sharks.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

This is really, really annoying. Everything agrees that my driver is updated, and there are no error messages, and yet Portal still restarts my computer before it loads.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

The only thing I got game-wise was a Target gift card which I used to buy 2000 Wii points which were spent on the internet channel, Mario Bros. and Paper Mario. Definitely worth the money.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

I didn't get any games, since I didn't ask for any! But I got something like $100 in Best Buy gift cards, so I will probably get some gaming goodness with those. Maybe a PSP.

pieaholicx
The cake is a lie!

Postby pieaholicx » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Maybe a PSP.

You would torture yourself like this why?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:15 pm UTC

pieaholicx wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:Maybe a PSP.

You would torture yourself like this why?

Castlevania Dracula X (plus SOTN)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Mega Man Powered Up
Mega Man X
MGS: Portable Ops
MGS: Ac!d
Disgaea
Lumines
WipeOut Pure
Jeanne D'Arc
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Every Extend Extra
Power Stone Anthology

That's actually more than I expected. Not to mention hacking the firmware to run homebrew.

Return to “Gaming”