Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Pobega

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Postby Pobega » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is an on-rails shooter for the Wii chronicling the Spencer Mansion and Raccoon City incident of 1998. Although most of the stories have been murdered to the point where they cannot be considered canon (Barry isn't even mentioned ONCE in the RE1 scenarios!).

The game's main focus is on filling in plot gaps; What happened to Ada after RE2? What happened to Richard/Rebecca before RE1? What was Wesker doing between everything?

Spoiler:
Everything leads up to a new scenario in Russia where Chris and Jill shut down Umbrella for good by defeating Umbrella's most powerful BOW, 'Talos'.

The whole game is in my opinion a good leadup for RE5; Not to be taken too literally, most of the gameplay had to be rewritten due to the fact that the game is an on-rails shooter.

The only thing I have left to say is that I hope Capcom takes more of a survival horror approach to RE5; RE4 was a good game, but a horrible installment to the Resident Evil series.

Delbin

Re: Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Postby Delbin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:06 pm UTC

It's good to see that the Wii has brought back rail shooters. It's still one of my favorite genres. It'll be a very long time before I get to play it, but it look fun.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:52 pm UTC

Pobega wrote:Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles is an on-rails shooter for the Wii chronicling the Spencer Mansion and Raccoon City incident of 1998. Although most of the stories have been murdered to the point where they cannot be considered canon (Barry isn't even mentioned ONCE in the RE1 scenarios!).

The game's main focus is on filling in plot gaps; What happened to Ada after RE2? What happened to Richard/Rebecca before RE1? What was Wesker doing between everything?

Spoiler:
Everything leads up to a new scenario in Russia where Chris and Jill shut down Umbrella for good by defeating Umbrella's most powerful BOW, 'Talos'.

The whole game is in my opinion a good leadup for RE5; Not to be taken too literally, most of the gameplay had to be rewritten due to the fact that the game is an on-rails shooter.

The only thing I have left to say is that I hope Capcom takes more of a survival horror approach to RE5; RE4 was a good game, but a horrible installment to the Resident Evil series.

RE4 was great survival horror! Ok, I can't say that with a straight face, but it was a good installment. Good, I say!
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Maseiken wrote:
Pobega wrote:<snip>

RE4 was great survival horror! Ok, I can't say that with a straight face, but it was a good installment. Good, I say!

Not even; RE4 was a ridiculous installment to the series. The Resident Evil series is supposed to revolve around Umbrella and S.T.A.R.S., not Leon. Plus, the story had to do with some ancient virus, the president's daughter, and a lot of very unlikely coincidences. I personally would be happy if Capcom decided to make RE4 non-canon.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:10 am UTC

A: They won't
B: It details an attempted return to power by Umbrella, and the theft of a Sample of one of the said *Parasites By Ada, who we discover is working for Wesker. I think that counts as relevant.
C: The story does not revolve around S.T.A.R.S. If every game featured an S.T.A.R.S I would think that would just as big a coincidence as anything RE4 had to offer. (Besides, it's only really one coincidence if you play completly through it)

Dan Frank

Postby Dan Frank » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 am UTC

With RE4 they were able to trade out a handful of diehard cult fans for approximately ten billion times as many gamers who pick their games based on, you know, gameplay and stuff.

I think it was the most successful installment in the series, ever. They're not going to make it non-canon just because it wasn't "Resident Evilly" enough for you.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of RE. Even the unending lame rehashes. But RE4 breathed new life into the series in a beautiful, awesome way. I hope they continue the trend, improve on the control scheme even MORE, and bring back zombies.

Because really, zombies are the only thing I missed.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:31 pm UTC

Maseiken wrote:A: They won't

Obviously they won't, I was just being overly harsh.
Maseiken wrote:B: It details an attempted return to power by Umbrella, and the theft of a Sample of one of the said *Parasites By Ada, who we discover is working for Wesker. I think that counts as relevant.

I don't see any attempt by Umbrella. Umbrella's long gone. The only thing it shows plot-wise is Wesker getting his hands on Los Plagas, which I assume will lead into RE5.
Maseiken wrote:C: The story does not revolve around S.T.A.R.S. If every game featured an S.T.A.R.S I would think that would just as big a coincidence as anything RE4 had to offer. (Besides, it's only really one coincidence if you play completly through it)

The story doesn't exactly revolve around S.T.A.R.S., but for the most part it revolves around Wesker and Umbrella.

What I didn't like about RE4 I'll list here:

• No survival horror aspect. There wasn't a single point in the game where I was thinking "Should I run around this guy to preserve ammo?"
  • No overly deadly monsters (Although, this one I may just be forgetting since it's been so long since I've done a playthrough of RE4), like Lickers or Hunters; I long for the days where you were so easily one shotted and yelled profanities through the air.
  • No true files. Most of the story was explained to you throughout the gameplay, and reading the files had nothing to do with it. I like how in the original REs you'd have to read every file you found and piece together the story yourself (Like, I may be wrong, but after playing through RE2 again and reading everything in RE:UC I've come to the conclusion that Chief Irons created S.T.A.R.S. based on bribes by Umbrella, and S.T.A.R.S.' sole purpose for creation was to grant Umbrella with sufficient battle data when the time came for them to release their virus.).
  • Also, speaking of the documents, they were all horribly done. How is it that you kill a boss, and in the next room someone left a document saying "This American killed <whatever>, he is strong!".
  • Why the hell did they even need the President's daughter anyway? I guess maybe I missed that part of the plot because I stopped reading the documents after the first half of the game, but was she something like Lisa Trevor, perhaps?
  • RE4 Leon is, in my opinion, a horrible character. And that's saying a lot, since RE2 Leon is my favorite character in the series. Before RE4 came out I was happy to see Leon being used again, but in such a way?
  • There is ZERO scientific backing behind Los Plagas. I mean, the T Virus was worked on for what, tweny-plus years? And the G-Virus, T's successor, was Birkin's life work. Everything for the viruses was explained (Progenitor, the leeches, testing on animals, then using Umbrella employees, etc), but Los Plagas just comes out of left field as an "ancient virus" that somehow works alongside the T Virus to turn it's host into a controlled zombie. I mean, if there were any backing to this I'd really LOVE the story, but there is just no backing; It seems like Umbrella took the easy way out to avoid writing more story.

Now, I've got an Umbrella Chronicles question; Does the Russia scenario happen before or after Code Veronica?

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:02 am UTC

Pobega wrote:
  • No survival horror aspect. There wasn't a single point in the game where I was thinking "Should I run around this guy to preserve ammo?"
  • No overly deadly monsters (Although, this one I may just be forgetting since it's been so long since I've done a playthrough of RE4), like Lickers or Hunters; I long for the days where you were so easily one shotted and yelled profanities through the air.
  • No true files. Most of the story was explained to you throughout the gameplay, and reading the files had nothing to do with it. I like how in the original REs you'd have to read every file you found and piece together the story yourself (Like, I may be wrong, but after playing through RE2 again and reading everything in RE:UC I've come to the conclusion that Chief Irons created S.T.A.R.S. based on bribes by Umbrella, and S.T.A.R.S.' sole purpose for creation was to grant Umbrella with sufficient battle data when the time came for them to release their virus.).
  • Also, speaking of the documents, they were all horribly done. How is it that you kill a boss, and in the next room someone left a document saying "This American killed <whatever>, he is strong!".
  • Why the hell did they even need the President's daughter anyway? I guess maybe I missed that part of the plot because I stopped reading the documents after the first half of the game, but was she something like Lisa Trevor, perhaps?
  • RE4 Leon is, in my opinion, a horrible character. And that's saying a lot, since RE2 Leon is my favorite character in the series. Before RE4 came out I was happy to see Leon being used again, but in such a way?
  • There is ZERO scientific backing behind Los Plagas. I mean, the T Virus was worked on for what, tweny-plus years? And the G-Virus, T's successor, was Birkin's life work. Everything for the viruses was explained (Progenitor, the leeches, testing on animals, then using Umbrella employees, etc), but Los Plagas just comes out of left field as an "ancient virus" that somehow works alongside the T Virus to turn it's host into a controlled zombie. I mean, if there were any backing to this I'd really LOVE the story, but there is just no backing; It seems like Umbrella took the easy way out to avoid writing more story.
[/quote]
...You don't seem to have payed much attention to the story, which is apparently one of the things you're complaining about. First, Las Plagas creates drones, they aren't intelligent Zombies, they're people with Parasites in their head, T-Virus had nothing to do with anything in RE4.
Second, I'm not sure why you don't like RE4 Leon, you didn't really discuss that.
Third, it does have Survival horror, you just didn't see it because you're very good at survival horror. I hadn't pkayed any RE before RE4, and I was panicking at several moments, and holding active discussions in my head on what gun to use and how much ammo from it, and whether I needed a bigger clip, etc.
Fourth, The game contains 3 types of enemies capable of killing you instantly at the right range, not counting every iteration of the Chainsaw-guys, of which there are many, and there are countless other enemies that do obscene amounts of damage, it requires a great deal of tactical thought.
Fifth, yeah, no-one likes Ashley, she was shit. the plan was for her to be a drone, and to mutate at some appropriate moment, kill her dad, and then Saddler announces that he's taking shit over, that's that portion of the story, and it's pretty lame, I'll give you that.
Sixth,This is running long into a discussion of an entirely different topic, should we make another?
Seventh, had you read the files, you would have read Luis Sera's extensive research on the Las Plagas and it's workings, summing up his 10 or so years of research on the matter.
Honestly, the most interesting parts of the story were contained within Ada's subgame, Seperate ways, and I wouldn't be surprised that you hadn't played through that. I heartily recommend it however, as there is far more of a survival component, and her briefings contain a great amount of plot. Including info on Luis, Krauser, and Ada's dealings with Wesker.
The Plagas is Wesker's Back-up plan, That's as close as I can get to it's connection to the main story, although it goes deeper than that.

EDIT: Also, I believe Russia is After, although I'm not sure.

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:28 am UTC

I like how you're all debating a storyline from a horror/shooter video game. That makes me laugh.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Oh like you haven't done just as nerdy or nerdier stuff.
Mr Rorsharch Avatar.

Resident Evil's storyline gets discussed a lot because it is very good, and very complex. I hardly think the media on which it's presented is relevant.

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:33 pm UTC

Rodan wrote:I like how you're all debating a storyline from a horror/shooter video game. That makes me laugh.

What are you on about? Resident Evil has one of the most intuitive storylines ever. If you've ever played the originals (REmake, RE2, RE3, RE:CVX) you'd see that the storyline isn't just of the "Zombie breakout, kill them all!" nature. It's more like "There are zombies, but conspiracies, and one of my 'friends' is trying to kill me, but wait, a huge, well known company is behind this all?".

And I've seen people talk about much more dry storylines; Final Fantasy VII, for example.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:55 pm UTC

I loved the knife in Umbrella Chronicles. Cutcutcutcutcutcutcut. With two people you create an impenetrable blade barrier that mows down everything except punching zombies. I think this is way more appropriate then "Hit the button, make one slow swipe"-knives I usually see in video games. It's hell of fun.

Pobega wrote:What I didn't like about RE4 I'll list here:

++;

What I also don't like about RE4 is that kick trumps headshot.
Only for Capcom does kick trump headshot.

And I kind of think that the guy is a damn disgrace because he doesn't hold his gun straight and can't move and shoot at the same time. If it were Hunter: The Reckoning and he was supposed to be some Joe Shmoe accountant then I would appreciate that, but he's supposed to be Secret Service. C'mon!
хлэб и Воля

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

That would be the survival horror aspect. Please don't say these things, you'll drive him into a rage about it being a Third-person shooter, when it's really Survival horror.

Also, how does he not hold his gun straight?

Pobega

Postby Pobega » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:23 am UTC

From what I remember Leon held his gun straight, the only thing that was a bit off was the camera angle over the right shoulder; But where else is the camera going to go in a TPS?

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:38 am UTC

Pobega wrote:From what I remember Leon held his gun straight, the only thing that was a bit off was the camera angle over the right shoulder; But where else is the camera going to go in a TPS?

Anywhere where my peripheral vision isn't blocked by my own giant head.

As for not holding his gun straight, he doesn't keep the 9mm held on the same pixel. It ... wobbles. That could be because I play on pro, or it could be because my controller is broken, or it could be intentional. (On PS2) I hope it isn't a broken controller. That would be bad news.
It's like Leon's arms get tired.
хлэб и Воля

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:37 am UTC

That's because either
a) Your thumb wobbles subtly.
or b) Leon is not perfection incarnate.

Benitosimies

Postby Benitosimies » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

Not my thumb dawg. Does the same with thumb on and thumb off.

I don't like that Leon's not a perfect at holding a gun, but it only bothers me in this one specific game. If he wobbled it in RE2 I wouldn't mind, or any other zombie game really, like if the guy from Dead Rising was kind of a crappy shot. The idea that Leon's a bad shot bugs me because you basically have to shoot your way out of a lot of this game.

What I usually do in zombie games is run past them.
Here's how running past a village of zombies (or peasants) works out in RE4:
  • Haha, yes, fuck you. I'm too slippery for y'all crowd of zombies. I have evaded you with rad gusto.
  • And now I'll just run up to the exit.
  • There's a guy with a chainsaw blocking the exit but yes! I have baited him with crafty juking into leaving the door and creating a wide open path to it. I'm so clever, and I love this game.
  • Now I just need to open the door.
  • This door is blocked for some queer reason, despite being unlocked on your map.
  • Aw, frig. Now all those guys I ran past are going to kick the shit out of me, mostly the chainsaw guy who is now right next to me.
  • Chainsaw to the brain.

Also, you can't sneak past anything.

So basically the solution is to always empty boxes and boxes of ammo into wave after wave of people. The answer is always shoot. I don't think the gameplay really facilitates that because I can't even walk and shoot at the same time. Thank god I can kick them though. :roll:
хлэб и Воля

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:19 am UTC

Benitosimies wrote:Not my thumb dawg. Does the same with thumb on and thumb off.

I don't like that Leon's not a perfect at holding a gun, but it only bothers me in this one specific game. If he wobbled it in RE2 I wouldn't mind, or any other zombie game really, like if the guy from Dead Rising was kind of a crappy shot. The idea that Leon's a bad shot bugs me because you basically have to shoot your way out of a lot of this game.

What I usually do in zombie games is run past them.
Here's how running past a village of zombies (or peasants) works out in RE4:
  • Haha, yes, fuck you. I'm too slippery for y'all crowd of zombies. I have evaded you with rad gusto.
  • And now I'll just run up to the exit.
  • There's a guy with a chainsaw blocking the exit but yes! I have baited him with crafty juking into leaving the door and creating a wide open path to it. I'm so clever, and I love this game.
  • Now I just need to open the door.
  • This door is blocked for some queer reason, despite being unlocked on your map.
  • Aw, frig. Now all those guys I ran past are going to kick the shit out of me, mostly the chainsaw guy who is now right next to me.
  • Chainsaw to the brain.

Also, you can't sneak past anything.

So basically the solution is to always empty boxes and boxes of ammo into wave after wave of people. The answer is always shoot. I don't think the gameplay really facilitates that because I can't even walk and shoot at the same time. Thank god I can kick them though. :roll:

That's weird, I've been able to run past heaps of groups, although, it's not really recommended.
You need those Pisestas (Pisas? Pisaros?... Thingies...)

Morphing Ball

Postby Morphing Ball » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:37 am UTC

The Peseta, the national currency of Spain before the introduction of the Euro. Unusually, the game is set after the introduction of the Euro, but it seems sometimes that you're getting lots of gold that's simply worth however many pesetas.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:53 am UTC

Well it doesn't happen in *Spain* per se.
It's a little independent *Place*, So it's passable that they might be using Pesetas, But of course, the Merchant is an enigma, and we must not question his ways (It'd be cool if RE5 or some later game did some explaining on his part, but just as cool if they didn't)

Return to “Gaming”