Deus Ex

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Amnesiasoft

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:19 pm UTC

Deus Ex is way too long to be a movie. Well, to be the movie you want it to be anyway. You'd probably need to make a 4 hour movie, and you're going to have trouble convincing people to watch a 4 hour movie.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:26 pm UTC

Perhaps a 2 or 3 part miniseries?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Given the openness of the game.. I'd really rather not see a film based on it.

I liked the way I played it. I don't want to see some actor doing it wrong*. Not to mention.. well.. what does JC look like? He was always Albino for me, and that's how I'll always think of him.

*by that I mean going through the mission in a different way.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 am UTC

For me, JC was always just the default. (black hair.) The default always seemed the most badass.
The ending I always chose, also, was the New Dark Age ending. Destroying the Aquinas Hub, and whatnot.

I think if I were JC Denton in that situation, I'd blow up the internet.
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

So far (I have only recently discovered the awesomeness that is Deus Ex - see my avatar) I have only played with default Denton. I should try albino, though... that might be interesting. Also, I chose to merge with Helios.

So who can't wait for the HDTP to come out? I can't; it's supposed to be out within a few months. Hopefully at least around the same time as The Nameless Mod.
All is well. We are not like the others.

sunami

Postby sunami » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:16 pm UTC

I just finished my fifth play through Deus Ex, and it was my one where I killed nobody throughout (except Anna Navarra, because, without glitches, she has to die), except it was on hard and not realistic.

I went in thinking it would be really difficult, and it took a bit to get used to the whole new style of playing, but the A.I. is pretty bad when it comes to finding you if you run away, so it wasn't too difficult. MJ12 commandos were fucking me up until I found a spot on their back that one-shot knocks them out; I just aim at the top half of their back, which can be difficult since I'm crouched behind them sneaking up to them. But the reason why I still think Deus Ex is the best game ever made is that I found new things, on this fifth time through.
(spoilered.. just in case)
Spoiler:
* Another path to the NSF generator. That's 5 paths I've used.
* BASKETBALL!
* Never interacted with Sandra Renton at all, which if I understood correctly led to her father dieing, and her staying in NY. Talked to her in the bar just before the superfreighter (and then loaded to just before it) so I heard her say something to that (a/e)ffect.
* Found the creepy ass-phone call from Icarus in the level |just before the Catacombs| and that entire building which I had never entered.
* The journal of the worker stealing from security in the Paris metro, and the couple of ensuing conversations from that.
* A second underwater-accessible room in the underwater submarine base.
* A guy locked in the bathroom in the missle silo. In standard high-quality voice acting, JC: "Why are you locked in the bathroom?"

And I feel obligated to share this youtube video which had me crying/laughing for a long time.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel
Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:14 am UTC

Stief wrote:I love this game, mainly for the points already mentioned ^_^ I used to find Zyme and OD...I'm surprised your character doesn't die....I think he didn't, anyway...all I know is taking the maximum amount of Zyme during a gunfight is silly.

I'm not sure which ending it is, but I loved the one with;

Spoiler:
John Milton wrote:It is better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

:D

finding secret passages by bribing kids with chocolate was fun...

One minor annoyance though...

The Junkie in the park, begging me to kill him...then when I actually do as he asks, he runs!

Walk behind him and shoot him in the back of his neck. One shot, one kill, zero resistance.

Wow . . . I just quoted one of the very first posts and went through all the posts just to make sure that no-one said what I said! I feel proud . . . slightly.

There were things wrong with the original Deus Ex. Mainly stuff like the sword looking medieval and the 10mm handgun . . . Graphics were crap and so was AI . . . but they anything even remotely wrong with it could be fixed easily! I love it!

DEUS EX IS THE SINGLE GREATEST GAME EVER CREATED IN EXISTENCE!!! I think that covers it.

Ok, I lied:
Spoiler:
I only went through half of the posts on this topic, not all of them :twisted:

Verian

Postby Verian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

I had my first play-through during summer. It was awesome!

Pity I've not picked this game up earlier, because it really is one of the best and most immersive games ever. I love the open-endedness; hell, almost every decision affects the story in some way. I also enjoyed reading all of those little e-mails and datacubes, they really fleshed out the background world.

Concerning the dated graphics, which seem to bother some of you, the Unreal Engine has actually aged very well. It looks quite amazing for being 8 years old.

Location: I am a child of the city of destruction . . . So, my location is the city of dectruction!

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:03 am UTC

drconcon wrote:I think if I were JC Denton in that situation, I'd blow up the internet.

Why would anyone do that?! :evil: Why would you get rid of the internet? The internet is the greatest thing to happen to the universe since xkcd . . . er, something to that effect! . . . Nothing realy compares to the internet and xkcd . . . except maybe cake! Yes, cake! :D

Spoiler:
According to the sequel that does not exist, he merges with Helios so I gess your opinion is irrelevant! :P 8)

And yes, it has aged well. But then so has doom II! :!: . . . Well, sort of! :mrgreen:

I usually play as the default JC Denton. I used to play as the Albino but got a little bored with it because I got the feeling that his realy white skin would show up beter in the dark. lol!

sunami

Postby sunami » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:21 pm UTC

I was bored, and Wikipedia told me that there was a unatco.org website that got taken down after 9/11 and a link to it through Wayback Machine. Was a basic thing with some links to real world news stories regarding terrorism, and a letter "from Joseph Manderley", a nice touch. Anyway I check it now to see what it ends up with, and I get this

Spoiler:
deus.jpg
deus.jpg (145.4 KiB) Viewed 10774 times

which is the bulletin in the entrance of the Paris nightclub, with names of places struck out, I'd assume to make it a more global message than France-specific. Either someone picked up the domain and is having their own fun or Eidos is getting started on Deus Ex advertisements for #3.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 pm UTC

I've been playing Fallout 2 recently, and found it surprising how similar it is to Deus Ex. What a great game.

(Fans of Zero Punctuation may want to check his Guitar Hero: World Tour review, which has a great Deus Ex bit at the end.)

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:43 am UTC

I played Deus Ex much like I played the Fallout games - lots of melee and big guns. Sledgehammers, miniguns, rocket launchers, and flamers... oh yes.

I played through pretty normally my first time through - doing whatever I wanted to do and to hell with what the other fools wanted. Ended up merging with Helios because who wouldn't want to become a god?

Got about halfway through my second time, doing my best to incapacitate instead of decapitate. Was an interesting challenge.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 am UTC

When a game gives me freedom I inevitably try to be the good guy. It's not always easy. I can't imagine replaying Deus Ex now that I know

Spoiler:
that so many of your "enemies" early on are on the right side after all.

sir_schwick

Postby sir_schwick » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Does anyone know how the Helios, Daedelus, and Icarus voices were created? I'm thinking about doing some machinima involving sentient computers, and they seem to be the perfect fit.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 am UTC

I played this for an evening at an uncle's. Perhaps I should try it again (once I've finished Fallout, that is).
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

sunami

Postby sunami » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:42 am UTC

Clumpy wrote:When a game gives me freedom I inevitably try to be the good guy. It's not always easy. I can't imagine replaying Deus Ex now that I know

Spoiler:
that so many of your "enemies" early on are on the right side after all.

That's what the riot prod, tranq darts, and gas grenades are for!

Playing through it again now. After my no-kill game, I'm going on Realistic killing EVERYONE that I can. As in, The Lucky Money only had Gordon Quick alive in it. And I'm still finding new paths and dialog options.. such a great game.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:08 pm UTC

If anyone's not seen it (for those who have completed the game or don't mind spoilers), the 43 minute speed run is a great thing to see. The first mission is bypassed entirely and the escape from the Hong Kong apartment is incredible.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 pm UTC

Well, it is suddenly an excellent time to reinstall Deus Ex, for a couple of reasons.

First, The Nameless Mod was recently released. Essentially, it is a massive Deus Ex total conversion mod set in a city which is a virtual representation of a forum founded by fans of Deus Ex. Of course, it's about quite a bit more than that when you get down to it. Seven years in the making, its gameplay is pure Deus Ex, and the plot isn't half bad either. It's got full voice acting for every line of dialogue, and it's actually better than DX's (of course, it's not hard to be...), and offers about 15 hours of playtime per playthrough by most accounts. Of course, there are a number of different endings... Be sure to install the 1.0.1 patch in the downloads section.

Second, the first real public beta of New Vision was also just released. New Vision is a retexturing project dedicated to redoing all the world textures in Deus Ex at the highest resolutions and qualities the engine will allow. It's still a beta, which means there are a couple issues and only about 70% of the textures are done, but it's still an incredible mod that really breathes new life into DX.

Playing TNM with NV installed is of course even better. :)
All is well. We are not like the others.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Sun May 03, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:First, The Nameless Mod was recently released.

I know. I tried to download it, but I'm stuck on dial up. After about half an hour of downloading, it told me that it would take me six days and twelve hours to download. I'm going to try downloading it to my flash drive next time I'm at my sisters place (she has broadband).

So far, I've played through it so many times. I've played through it with shifter mod (it's quite good, but it's a bit messed up). I've played through the ZODIAC mod too. It was pretty wicked.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Sun May 03, 2009 10:44 am UTC

Y'know, I've come to believe that the original Deus Ex is not only better than Half-Life, but its sequel as well. It's a game with respect for the player, and which requires you to exhibit something approximating intelligence.

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm UTC

God, this thread brings back so many memories, I must have been playing that game for at least a year. How old was I, eight? Deus Ex is one of the reasons I never ever needed a lesson in English again.

That's it, I'm going to get this RIGHT NOW.

Postby Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel » Wed May 13, 2009 3:41 am UTC

Attached picture, 'nuff said.
Attachments
Deus Ex - reinstall.jpg
It's true.
Deus Ex - reinstall.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 10176 times

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed May 13, 2009 6:49 am UTC

Flesh_Of_The_Fallen_Angel wrote:Attached picture, 'nuff said.

SlyReaper wrote:You know they say that every time someone mentions Deus Ex, someone reinstalls it. It's true. I'm reinstalling. :¡This cheese is burning me!:

:mrgreen:
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 pm UTC

I would have reinstalled it on my own before this thread appeared, but the disc has gone missing and as cheap as it is to buy a new copy, I don't feel like paying for something I already own.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed May 13, 2009 7:37 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:I would have reinstalled it on my own before this thread appeared, but the disc has gone missing and as cheap as it is to buy a new copy, I don't feel like paying for something I already own.

That's what torrents are for. DUH.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed May 13, 2009 8:48 pm UTC

I'm an aspiring game designer/programmer, and I don't want people stealing my software - so I don't steal theirs. Even if it isn't technically theft because I already own it, but that's a huge gray area. Anyway, thanks for being a jackass about it, with the "DUH" and everything.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu May 14, 2009 4:33 am UTC

Deus Ex is only $9.99 on Steam.

In general, I would agree that torrenting a game you already own is perfectly acceptable (heck, I torrent lots of games I already own, so I don't have to mess with the disk, or so I don't have to mess with DRM etc.)
But some games are worth buying more than once, and I would say Deus Ex is definitely one of them.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

kha-khees

Postby kha-khees » Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:But some games are worth buying more than once, and I would say Deus Ex is definitely one of them.

I'll say. Lost my original discs and bought it again, if I end up finding them it'll be a bonus anyway!

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:56 am UTC

Bumping because people seem to be using the steam deals thread to talk about the prequel and this seems a more sensible place for it.

So, Deus Ex: Human Revolution then, here's some screenshots/concept art:
Spoiler:
More at Eurogamer.
PC Gamer has a load of interesting stuff.

Most importantly, there are two leaked shakeycam videos from the E3 demo:
They've been taken down now :(
I have to say, other than the constant switching to third-person, it's looking pretty damn good.

My bumping is augmented.
Last edited by SoapyHobo on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:37 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 pm UTC

And because both of those are dead, have another link.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06 ... wobblecam/

I'm not sure if I like those takedowns. The one in part 1 seems fine, but the later ones are a bit excessive and take too long.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

SoapyHobo

Postby SoapyHobo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Deus Ex is ten years old today!

RPS looks at whether it's stood the test of time. PC Gamer have more stuff up too.
No love for Deus Ex huh? :(

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:00 am UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Deus Ex is ten years old today!

RPS looks at whether it's stood the test of time. PC Gamer have more stuff up too.
No love for Deus Ex huh? :(

Cool read, thanks for the link.

sunami

Postby sunami » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:20 am UTC

Okay, I'm assuming many of you have seen the What a shame. video, it's several years old now.

But in classic Deus Ex fashion, new things get found all the time. This is terrible.

psion

Postby psion » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:05 am UTC

The Revision mod has finally released. It's a complete overhaul of the level design, new music, and is bundled with some other gameplay mods like Shifter. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far. It's the same old levels, but they changed everything just enough that it feels like a new game. I've played Deus Ex so much that I know where everything is and can quickly rush through each level without regard, but just enough is different here that I have to explore each level as though I were playing it for the first time.

It's heavily implied that it only supports the steam version, but I have it running on my gog goty version with a little workaround. It's pretty clear that they were working out a contract with squeenix to get people to buy a steam version of the game. It's a dirty tactic to monetize a mod. They have a donation page. I would have donated as I really enjoy the mod thus far, but now I don't know.

The other cons... The game is very dark in general now. Not too dark in an artistic sense, but it is at odds with the original design of the game. I think for some people who would be playing the game the first time and don't know where all the items are or where to go, some items and hidden entrances are very easy to miss. I've already run into a couple bugs where side objectives wouldn't complete, but the consequences are minor. The mod is also a bit of a resource hog for being a 15 year old game. I don't think it runs at all on older machines (any winxp-like system or earlier). While I also enjoy the new music, a couple pieces aren't perfect, but you can always revert to the old soundtrack on a whim.

Return to “Gaming”