Deus Ex

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

drconcon

Deus Ex

Postby drconcon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:56 am UTC

My second favorite game (Half-Life is my #1) with my most-absolute-favoritest story EVER! (Beating Half-Life's story :) ) Everything about Deus Ex is up for discussion in this post. I personally like all the Greek Mythology references - Daedalus, Helios, Icarus, Ambrosia (given to the wealthy and powerful in Deus Ex and the food of the gods in Greek mythology) - everything about humanity's creation and the human mind.

I know this sounds extremely lame but Deus Ex changed my life in a way and I got a lot walking away from it. :mrgreen:
Belial wrote:Never assume you're safe.

That's when the raptors get yah!

Arbitrary Imposition

Re: Deus Ex

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:32 am UTC

Deus Ex is a game that is very close to my heart- very fun. It is dated now, with the graphics and AI being cringe-worthy in places, but I still have found very little that can beat it. Half-Life Two's graphics and storyline are spectacular, but you find yourself spending the entire game being funnelled down a completely linear experience. Each challenge Deus Ex throws at you has at least two solutions, sometimes four or five. I've recently been playing through whilst preventing any loss of life, to anyone. (Aside from those very few people who specifically *have* to die)
It's hard, especially when groups of NPCs are fighting each other. But I'm working through it.

It's far from flawless, and it isn't the most fun to play for hours. I just spent a ludicrous amount of time with three of my flatmates on xbox live. But I've played through Deus Ex many times and I keep finding new things, or little moments that are always rewarding for me.

Some memorable highlights?
*In-depth political debate with the Aussie barman
*Saving a hotel manager's daughter from a pimp, and then convincing her to stay at home instead of leaving town
*Going on lengthy, peril-filled side-quests, for no reward whatsoever
*Completing these side-quests again, on subsequent plays, despite the lack of reward. Just because it's the right thing to do.
*Jacob's Shadow
*Saving Jock
*Which ending do you choose?

And there are some real gems in the cutscenes
"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I have nerves of steel"

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:17 am UTC

Without a doubt, this isone of the top ten games in all of human history, after several dozen replays I have yet to playthrough the same way twice, and I have no doubt there are many more hundreds of replays before I've exhausted all the variations.

This game rocks hardcore.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 am UTC

This is by far the ebst game I have ever played. Played through it several times, each time was unique. The last time I played through I killed only MJ12/MIB members, everyone else was baton'd or otherwise knocked out.

In my entire experience i would say the most usless skill is the 'suit' skill. Woop de do, I can wear optical armor for an extra 30 seconds at max level...

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:31 pm UTC

WraithXt1 wrote:In my entire experience i would say the most usless skill is the 'suit' skill. Woop de do, I can wear optical armor for an extra 30 seconds at max level...

But, it is an option :)

For swimming, which is my favorite example, you can either haul around lots of rebreathers, up your suit skill to maximise their effectiveness, pump skill points into "swimming" OR install the aqualung aug. That's four options for one thing, right there.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:55 pm UTC

Oh no, I'm not complaining at all. I was just hoping for it to last longer, I loved being sneaky with it =P

They need to make a Deus Ex2 with all of the features of DE but with UT3 graphics =0

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:48 pm UTC

Indeed. I try to pretend that Deus Ex: Invisible War didn't happen. I was so horrendously disappointed with it.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:54 pm UTC

Arbitrary Imposition wrote:Indeed. I try to pretend that Deus Ex: Invisible Wardidn't happen. I was so horrendously disappointed with it.

That what didn't happen, all I saw was a bunch of feces in the middle of your post. Yeah I hope they make some sort of Deus Ex game soon, the game really deserves a sequel.

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:14 pm UTC

That made me genuinely happy.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:58 pm UTC

I only bought this game a few months ago, and the fact it's dated really got to me. I hated the long load times, but I'm so glad I got over it - definately one of the best games I've ever played. I was mainly a ruthless killer in it, as I am in most First-Person games, but I loved the hacking skill, and being able to read other people's e-mails.

They should make a sequel

For the Wii

Just for the fun of it
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

I mostly remember it for its branching side missions and the very satisfying leveling system. I started off with a sniper rifle wobbling all over the screen. It was simply awesome when I got that last point in there and had rock steady aim. The weapon mods were also awesome.

The AI was pretty dumb come to think of it. I usually wasn't close enough to them for anyone to notice. Even with the same story, the game could get some great replayability with the half-life 2 engine.

sunami

Postby sunami » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Arbitrary Imposition wrote:I've recently been playing through whilst preventing any loss of life, to anyone. (Aside from those very few people who specifically *have* to die)
It's hard, especially when groups of NPCs are fighting each other. But I'm working through it.

I'm fairly certain you can work through the entire game without HAVING to kill anyone.
Spoiler:
If you're thinking of Agent Navara, there's a movie up online somewhere that shows the player avoiding the kill by drawing her to the exit door and throwing a LAM, which causes her to open the door to avoid the explosion. EXIT OPEN!
Is there someone else that you're thinking of that requires a kill?
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

*Which ending do you choose?

Spoiler:
My favorite ending to the game was Tracer Tongs ending (New Dark Age)
That ending gave me shivers up my spine. I love what Tracer Tong says to you after and I loved the way Bob Page died in that one.

I loved all the side quests and options in Deus Ex - they were one of the games I actually felt happy that I did a side quest (despite not getting anything from most of them) for example saving Jock made me feel so proud of myself :D

PS. Jacobs Shadow was fun

PPS. Does anyone know if Deus Ex 3 is actually coming out or was that just a rumor? If it does I hope they do a better job with that than they did with Deus Ex: IW
Last edited by drconcon on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:10 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

HappySmileMan

Postby HappySmileMan » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

I played it and loved it, but I got bored after a while, I know you cna do things a lot of different ways but it just still seemed repetitive to me. It was a great game before I overplayed it and ruined it for myself though

Stief

Postby Stief » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:44 pm UTC

I love this game, mainly for the points already mentioned ^_^ I used to find Zyme and OD...I'm surprised your character doesn't die....I think he didn't, anyway...all I know is taking the maximum amount of Zyme during a gunfight is silly.

I'm not sure which ending it is, but I loved the one with;

Spoiler:
John Milton wrote:It is better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven

:D

finding secret passages by bribing kids with chocolate was fun...

One minor annoyance though...

The Junkie in the park, begging me to kill him...then when I actually do as he asks, he runs!
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:52 pm UTC

I really enjoyed the game, never did finish it though. I got about as far as the chinese cargo ship (or something like that). That was the only problem I really had with it, too long (like Half-Life 1, but HL1 had way more issues).

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

At the super freighter you are only about half way through the game. At first I found the game long but after playing through it again (and again and again...) I realized the game couldn't be done well in a shorter amount of time.

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:42 am UTC

sunami wrote:Is there someone else that you're thinking of that requires a kill?

I can't remember the NPC's name, but you are in a missile silo and specifically *have* to kill him. He's on top of a cherry picker.

I've seen the glitch of escaping without Flatlander Womaning Anna Navarre, but I think she's too far gone to count as human anyway. I have no qualms to killing MJ12 suit-wearing commandos, for example, or Greasles.

Also:

The thing that I found most irritating in Half Life, and more disappointingly in Half Life Two, was the vast adventures that you must undertake in order to reach the other side of a securely locked wooden door. To quote Frohman, you've got a frickin' crowbar. In Deus Ex, however, you can blow the door off it's hinges. However, you can't use violence to solve all of your problems. What you've said here:

Stief wrote:One minor annoyance though...

The Junkie in the park, begging me to kill him...then when I actually do as he asks, he runs!

...reminded me of a bum who offers to sell you 30.06 rounds, or indeed any of the merchant NPCs. You never have the option of, say, riot prodding them and taking their goods without paying, or going for the GTA Prostitute trick of making a purchase and then claiming your cash back. It's a small annoyance though.

How about this:

Spoiler:
The only plot-related annoyance in the game is that there is no way to remain loyal to UNATCO. Eventually, you're forced to become a rebel.
But seriously, that's the only part of the plot I was irked by. And if we had enough freedom to be making that kind of choice, there wouldn't be a plot at all, and we'd be playing Morrowind or Guild Wars or something.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:11 am UTC

Spoiler:
The only plot-related annoyance in the game is that there is no way to remain loyal to UNATCO. Eventually, you're forced to become a rebel.
But seriously, that's the only part of the plot I was irked by. And if we had enough freedom to be making that kind of choice, there wouldn't be a plot at all, and we'd be playing Morrowind or Guild Wars or something.

Alot of people didn't like that, but I agree with you, there would be no game without it.

Skateside
Location: I'm not here, I'm somewhere else, and I'm not coming back

Postby Skateside » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

I disagree with that.
Spoiler:
Surely it'd be possible to continue the story from UNATCO's perspective and have someone else, say either Gunter or Anna Navara rebelling - UNATCO was still a major player in the game until right up until the end. It'd also be nice if your actions could have effected your brother's character too - in the game he's always a humanitarian who rebels against UNATCO. It also would have been fascinating if there was a way to bring UNATCO out of this corruption and start handing out Ambrosia to the masses.

But I'm happy to accept that there simply wasn't the space on the disc for that. It'd certainly be a great remake if someone ever got bored enough and had a blu-ray writer.
Skateside:
Spoiler:
Mercurius wrote: = internet forum hero
studyinserendipity wrote: - impressive!!
krynd wrote:: awesome
d3c31t wrote:... you are amazing
Daria wrote:Shall I attempt further heights of ego-enflation?

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:49 pm UTC

You're right, that would be so fantastic. It's like Sam Carter said- "The only way to save an institution is for the good people to stay."

As soon as Bob Page (or was it Simons?) told Manderly that he was going to be managing a library, I'm sure he would have been on side too.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

I agree with you, it'd make a hell of a game if they did that, I just think the story would've had to change a lot for it to work.

pKp

Postby pKp » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:03 pm UTC

Best. Game. Ever. Played it through like a hundred times, and still do at least once a year.
My favourite glitch :
Spoiler:
When you get to Unatco HQ for the second time, and you see Walton Simons in Manderley's office, you can go to the cells and see him "interrogate" the prisoners...first innuendo of UNATCO being the bad guys.

Most annoying thing was the antennas bug, of course. It can be corrected with a patch, but it is still a pain in the ass.

We actually had the project with a friend of mine to make a machinimia version of The Matrix using the game engine :mrgreen:
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:56 am UTC

Most annoying thing was the antennas bug

I don't think I've heard of this bug, what did it do?

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:47 am UTC

I don't know this one either.

pKp

Postby pKp » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:42 pm UTC

May just be in the European/French version :p
Spoiler:
When you must move the antennas on the NFS hideout's roof to send the NSF distress signal. It basically doesn't work without patching the game.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:31 pm UTC

Oops I was wrong I have heard of that glitch, just never experienced it.

Now onto a completely different area of the game...

Spoiler:
What were the Greys? Like, at first it just looks like they're aliens not transgenics like the Greasles and Karkains but later in Area 51 a mechanic says they're transgenic gorillas, THEN in Invisible War the Greys say they are natural and are originally from the antarctic - that just seems a bit odd that they're natural...

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:10 pm UTC

drconcon wrote:
Spoiler:
What were the Greys? Like, at first it just looks like they're aliens not transgenics like the Greasles and Karkains but later in Area 51 a mechanic says they're transgenic gorillas, THEN in Invisible War the Greys say they are natural and are originally from the antarctic - that just seems a bit odd that they're natural...

I shall give a super-secret spoiler filled response...

Spoiler:
Natural? I never played that far into invisible war as I hated it a little. It does seem strange they were natural, I always just assumed that they were aliens- they look exactly the same as the Roswell ones. That and the whole... radiation thing... They freaked me out though, I didn't like them one bit. Even greasles I preferred- as hardass as they were. I remember getting data on them in the UNATCO complex... as well as data on a certain other evil sod, which was invaluable when it came to killing him.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Where are ou getting that the grey's are 'natural' from? It was pretty clear if you dug around that they're transgenics like the greasles.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:19 pm UTC

In Invisible War they say the Antarctic was their home until MJ12 came and took them away.

I also never liked Greys either, they actually unnerved me quite a bit. :P

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:45 am UTC

And what, pray tell, is a transgenic.

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Transgenic's are the Greasles and Karkains (and Greys? haha) They were created by MJ12 and are basically mutant animals.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:04 am UTC

drconcon wrote:In Invisible War they say the Antarctic was their home until MJ12 came and took them away.

I also never liked Greys either, they actually unnerved me quite a bit. :P

When do youy talk to the Grays?
Invisible War? What Invisible War? Deus Ex tragically remains sequel-less

The Grays were freaky, but I was a lot more afraid of the greasels, there was never really a time when you had to fight the grays, you could always dodge past them, but there were a few greasle encounters you really had to try to avoid.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:23 pm UTC

Not to mention that Greasels are practically bullet proof.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:19 pm UTC

drconcon wrote:PPS. Does anyone know if Deus Ex 3 is actually coming out or was that just a rumor? If it does I hope they do a better job with that than they did with Deus Ex: IW

It's real.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

drconcon

Postby drconcon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:32 am UTC

Wicked.

Arbitrary Imposition

Postby Arbitrary Imposition » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Confirmation indeed. Most pleasing in the fortune department.

xenuphobia

Postby xenuphobia » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:04 am UTC

Depends how you look at it. If we finally have a sequel to Deus Ex, then it's worth celebrating. If it's another shit sandwich by the bastards who brought you Invisible War, then you'd best put on your best funeral suit and start the dirge.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 am UTC

xenuphobia wrote:Depends how you look at it. If we finally have a sequel to Deus Ex, then it's worth celebrating. If it's a shit sandwich, then you'd best put on your best funeral suit and start the dirge.

Fixed it for you. I wonder why they call it Deus Ex 3, they should just call it 2 so as not to confuse people.

In other news, I'm fucking hyped about this.

sunami

Postby sunami » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:54 pm UTC

I retract my previous statement. There is at least one person that has to die, though I'm sure there's 0 people YOU have to kill
Spoiler:
Either Paul dies, or he kills people on the way out of the hotel so he doesn't die. Either way somebody has to die, unless you're hella fast and tranq all the attackers before they get to him... but they I think you deserve some epic award for that.

Take a look at the Visual Walkthrough of Deus Ex, it goes through every bit of every level and through it doesn't kill anyone.
"You heard it here first: all my software is shitty."

Return to “Gaming”