Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sarr

Re: Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Postby Sarr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:37 pm UTC

Yeah, I kinda guessed. >.>

Graaaah. I'm annoyed. There's nobody that plays FB in my area, it's all 40k. I mean, not that I have an army yet. But still.

I do also have a 40k army (Space Marines) but still.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Rashak

Postby Rashak » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:17 pm UTC

I play tau, My Color scheme is protoss hero, gold and turquoise for those less educated. We look sweet, btw , i wish i had some high quality pictures to post.
i kind of want to get a 'nid army put together after i finish this one though... i only have about 1200 points of tau...

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

Just finished up painting a squad of Black Templar. My Kommandant* is already painted, and I just need one more dull squad to be able to play. Yay!

*Force Commander. I just like calling him that.
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:42 pm UTC

Sarr wrote:Just finished up painting a squad of Black Templar. My Kommandant* is already painted, and I just need one more dull squad to be able to play. Yay!

*Force Commander. I just like calling him that.

YAY! :mrgreen:
Ptolom wrote:penis

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 am UTC

Well, I gots me a codex and a Champion of the Emperor, as the kid who was gonna sell me the army wasn't there. My friend found out his dad had it after I left. Doh.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

The new space marine codex isn't out yet, is it? I thought it would be some time in october.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:40 pm UTC

s' coming out October 4th. I can't wait.

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:54 pm UTC

i can.

stupid excuse to get everyone to buy drop pods. and what's with it costing £15 now? they all gonna do that or just their single most popular book? :roll:

stick to the square bases, you will not be disappointed!!!
Benfrenchman wrote:*I'm not sure why I used rad here... unless.... *checks clock* No, wait, it's not 1997. I guess I'm just an idiot.

podbaydoor wrote:Oral Sex might be the shortstop position.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:07 am UTC

I've flipped through a copy that the store I go to got early. It's worth it. 144 pages of fantastic rules, fluff of the gods, color schemes of ALL the chapters.... Do I really need to go on?

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:26 pm UTC

i'm under no illusions to the fact that i will have to get it at some point - like everyone else i do have a marine army. but unless i can see a good reason for doing so i shall probably wait unitl i can see/read a copy first. it would have to be pretty awesome indeed (and have a huge amount of new fluff!) before i spend that sort of cash for it though.

[/cynical]
Benfrenchman wrote:*I'm not sure why I used rad here... unless.... *checks clock* No, wait, it's not 1997. I guess I'm just an idiot.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:16 pm UTC

Random thought. A friend of mine saw a lascannon predator take out a monolith on turn 1. That's kinda pathetic.

thelibrarian

Postby thelibrarian » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:07 pm UTC

lol... i used to do that regularly to an opponent at my local club... he never learnt that anything with two lascannons and a twin linked is dangerous against any vehicle lol
"In the watch there are Dwarves, Trolls, Gnomes, Gargoyles, Werewolves, Vampires and a Nobbs."

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

Well, with Space Marine BS, that is.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:08 pm UTC

So my brother dragged me along to his weekly Warhammer thing. I spent maybe seven hours there.

...I painted one Genestealer. And it looks crappy.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:09 am UTC

Posted this in the F/RT thread, but...
So when I was at the gaming shop (yes I dragged my brother along), and I played my first game. I played my army of BTs (1 Marshal, 1 Emperor's Champion, 1 squad of 10, 1 squad of 5 and a Land Speeder) against a 500 point army of necrons. I lost, thanks to that bloody We'll Be Back rule. I need more melee froods in mah army.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:14 am UTC

This may be down to the fact he was fairly newbie at the time, but I found taking down a Necron force (1000pts) fairly easy with my SM army. I tend to go for an all-out shooty-shooty warfare and with a mix of a few lascannon marines, bolter-spam, Lascannon Predator and a few Termies, squad-by-squad focus fire worked well for taking down Krons. It might also have worked into my favour that his Monolith and Nightbringer went down within the first 2 rounds of combat, having been drawn up on the front row of his force. However, my Marines didn't *technically* win, due to the "Retreat like Snobbish Ponces" rule where the last 6/7 models remaining of the force left alive after a complete turn teleport off the map. But the continuous resurrections you encounter when a Kron force is bunched up or features a Necron Lord means some target priority and squad obliteration is the key.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:46 am UTC

Eh, it was my first game, so... w/e. I didn't really expect to win. If my Land Speeder hadn't lost it's multi-melta turn 2 it mighta turned out a bit differently, but it was good fun.

Of Negligible Mass

Postby Of Negligible Mass » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:25 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:This may be down to the fact he was fairly newbie at the time, but I found taking down a Necron force (1000pts) fairly easy with my SM army.

Dobblesworth wrote:his Monolith and Nightbringer

This is why you won. More than half his points were in two models. Tbh the most deadly necron armies I ever played included nothing but resurrection orb lords, immortals, warriors and destroyers. Maybe a monolith if points>=1500...

God I wish I still had the time and money to play 40k :(

Neg

PS. Yes, moar combaty stuff. Also drop pods. Drop in next to the enemy and hope they shoot you enough for you to "fall back" assault them...
Don't like it?

... Neither did I

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:56 pm UTC

played a game of fantasy last night with my relatively new tzeentchian daemon army, and Oh me yarm! they rock!!! :D

they are so much fun to use! yes, they are a little over dependant on a good magic phase, and yes, combat is something that should onlyhappen to other people, but when they get it right they can obliterate anything!!!

I have now decided that there is no problem in fantasy that cannot be solved by liberal applications of Bolt of Change... :mrgreen:

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

:D Yaay, devastating magic is the best! :mrgreen:
[/yeahIplayDarkElves]

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

It's been over 3 weeks since I posted so I am just gonna double post.

Yesterday I regained my honor (after being thoroughly beaten by some random demon army [seriously: bloodletters and deamonettes in one army?]) by utterly destroying a force of Empire. A synopsis of the battle can be read in the spoiler.

Spoiler:
So, my major advantage in this battle was the fact that the opposition didn't have any firepower whatsoever. And to top that off they only had a Warrior Priest ("To cope with possible enemy wizards."). I, on the other hand, had 2 Reaper Bolt Throwers (that is 6 ws4 str4 armour piercing shots or a single bolt thrower shot a piece), and a level 2 Sorceress (but with a magic item granting her one additional spell for 3 spells in total, the Power of Darkness spell [cast on a 4+, grants +D3 powerdice] and Druchii Sorcery ["... and the caster is not limited to a maximum number of power dice that can be used on one spell by its level"] it was basically a level 3, and that for a mere 171 points! :D ).
With this in mind, I deployed as close to the table edge as possible, to avoid early enemy contact. He on the other hand deployed (as expected) as far from the table edge as possible.

Now follows a quick summary of what troops he did have, and what I had:
He had:
25 Flaggelants
10 Militia (no command, one champion)
10 Empire Knights with great weapons
1 warrior priest
3 ogres (with one champion having 5 wounds, 6 attacks and strenght and toughness 5)

I had:
20 Corsairs
10 Spearmen (no command whatsoever)
1 Sorceress
1 Assassin (poisoned attacks, always strikes first, 4+D3 attacks,
2 Reapers

Where was I? Ah, the first turn!
Turn 1
His movement phase consisted of him moving all his troops forward as fast as allowed.
Then it was my turn, so I shot the hell out of his knights with my reapers (4 died, but he passed his panic test), and managed to scratch off 2 wounds of the ogre unit by using some fearsome black magic. I had 4 power dice to begin with, and decided to use one for de Power of Darkness spell, but rolled a 2, so that didn't do me much good. But then I had 3 dice left to roll 8+ and (surprise surprise) I managed to do so.
More in the future, I'm going to visit family. I'll edit in the rest though, when I have time. :wink:

Okay, so here we go again:
Turn 2
His turn again. He charged my Cold One Knights, meaning I could no longer shoot the hell out of them in my following turn, unless my knights were cut to ribbons (or fled) or his knights fled.
The ogres came closer and closer, and the Fallgelants were becoming more of a threat every turn. But with no magic or range troops to speak of, I was still pretty safe on my side of the table. But then the Empire Knights did the enivitable: they killed 3 of my knights, leaving only the champion and the standard bearer to strike back. But they were so dumbstruck that their hits merely chipped of some paint on the shields. Soon they were running with their cold blooded tails between their legs off the table edge. This is ofcourse a loss, but it will take the knights one full turn to turn around and charge my war machinery. That leaves me two turns two shoot away those armored fiends.
My turn! Again I stood my ground, and used Bladewind to deal some damage to the Flaggelants. With my reapers I managed to not only shoot those pesky Empire Knights out of their saddles, but also to kill the only warrioir priest in his army, leaving him with practically no dispel dice.

Turn 3
With his Ogres he charged my 10 flimsy Spearmen, and they definitely would've died if it weren't for my Assassin who was hidden in it. His Flaggelants moved into my charge distance (elves have a movement of 10, so if you're good at range-guessing and pay attention you will always get the charge with your infantry against other infantry) and the militia manoevred past some scenery. The second combat! I rolled the die and discovered my Assassin would be attacking 7 times this round, and chose to direct 4 of them to the Champion, and the rest on the untit. It probably would've been better if I just put all my might into killing that big brute, because at the end of the turn I had managed to scratch 1 wound off one Ogre, and the big champion was also left with two wounds to walk. He on the other hand squashed 6 of my sturdy warriors, and forced me to flee. I was scared, because I knew there was only a diceroll between nothing and the anhillation of possibly the most powerful character in the game. But he decided not to come running after me and stab my back, and stayed where he was because "persuing will only take me away from the battle, and I don't think my Flaggelants will hold without my ogres". Puh, with my Assassin alive he didn't stand a very good chance anyway.
My turn! The Corsairs, eager to spill blood, charged the Flaggelants head first. Thing was, my Sorceress was in the front rank (to protect her from possible missile fire) and thus was in danger. So with her focus familiar ("Place a marker withing 6" of the caster. This marker can be used to measure distance, determine line of sight and wether the caster is in combat or not.") she casted the devastating Bladewind again on the Flaggelants, tearing 8 of them apart with black magic, leaving them vulnerable for my Corsairs to finish them off and more importantly, giving them no oportunity to attack my Sorceress!
The reapers proved that they were worth their points by downing one of the mighty ogres, leaving 2 majorly wounded and only one healthy Ogre, to fight on. After this display of power they decided to run to the closest table edge, placing them about half an inch from my fleeing spearmen and Assassin (which were probably going to rally after this turn, giving my an easy charge :) ).
Combat! I had given the Corsairs the Sea Serpent Banner, making them Frenzy, combined with their two attacks, giving 13 attacks in total (and that number would be even more if there wasn't a Soreceress there). They sew 8 of them, leaving only a couple of battered fools. But because Flaggelants are determined to die, they stood their ground, being unbreakable and all...
Luckily, I indeed managed to rally my Spearmen and Assassin, so I could (at the least) rear-charge the ogres.

Turn 4
Only the Militia moved, but towards my war machinery, threatening to steal away a quick 2x100 points.
His Flaggelants were completely slaughtered to the last man, leaving only a bloody smear where they once stood. His Ogres managed to rally, giving me the opportunity to rear-charge him with my Assassin in my turn.
In my turn I charged the Ogres with what was left of my Spearmen and the Assassin, and wheeled the Corsairs in such a fashion that they could participate in the fight in subsequent turns once again. I forgot the magic phase (doh!) and shot a humiliating 4 of the Militia to their deaths. The combat went very well, with the Assassin slaying 2 of the Ogres, leaving only one to fight back. He managed to deal enough wounds to wipe out the 3 that were standing, but I managed to roll one six, leaving one Spearman to see another day, and one cold-hearted killer. The ogre couldn't keep his nerves and turned its tail and fled. I didn't manage to catch it, but I was sure he would be done for in the next round.

Turn 5
Those pesky Militia indeed tried to charge the front reaper, but because my charge-reaction was flee, failed their charge, giving me the opportunity to shoot another voley in the next round with my other reaper. 't Was then that my adversary decided he had enough, so he surrendered.

Hope you enjoyed your read. I probably made some spelling mistakes, that with the longness of the post, but I can't be bothered to check.

Summary: I lost 240 points of models, but he lost 900 points of models, granting me a Massacre! :)

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Epic mate. Just epic. I'm interested in starting up a Fantasy Army... any suggestions?

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I heard that a Chaos Tzeentch warrior army (the magic of Tzeentch is :shock: ) can beat any army with ease.
I am very satisfied with my Dark Elves, I love the destructive magic, and the elite troops. You COULD go with Empire, with nice cannons and lots of different kinds of troops to choose from. Undead is funny to overwhelm your enemy with, and it's always good to see the horror on the face of your enemies when you summon entire units of zombies. Dwarfs are cool as a defensive, shooty army, or you could always grab for the Orcs to "bash 'em ladz!". (A friend of mine plays Orcs, and says it's real funny to see whole parts of your army [mainly gobbos] being butchered by 10-men-units, but still winning the battle.)

So you could go with any army, but keep in mind that the less troops (or the more pointspermodel) your army has the more you must use strategy and subtlety.

Good luck! :wink: :D

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

I Am Raven wrote:I heard that a Chaos Tzeentch warrior army (the magic of Tzeentch is :shock: ) can beat any army with ease.

no. no it really isn't.

i mean, seriously? a 15 casting cost spell? when will you EVER get to cast that without an irrisistable?

I'm really not that impressed with the Tzeentch section of the warriors book, which is particularly disappointing given the large numbers of Tzeentch warriors sitting under my bed. Khorne, Slannesh and Nurgle get some funky stuff, but Tzeentch, as always, gets the raw end of the deal. Sure, they're not as bad as they used to be - at least we get the same psycology protection that everyone else gets which is a nich change. But the magic is as specialised as ever, the items are geared not to work together and don't get me started on the Eye of the Gods challenge thing.

[/cynic]

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 pm UTC

Hmmm, though I seem to remember a game where some Orcs just toally bashed the shit out of themselves by Tzeentch magic. The Tzeentch player actually destroyed his opponent without losing a single model, and by magic alone, in a 1500 points battle.
Yeah...

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

i'll admit that the spells all have a good potential. however, my problem is with the specifics involved with the new ones once you start thinking clearly with them. Illustrations and examples to follow...

Spell 1: Flickering Fire of Tzeentch
Cast of 4+, Range 18", magic missile doing D6+1 hits at Str D6+1.

Now I like this spell a lot, and don't really have a lot of issues here. Only thing to note is that it is a MM, so will become useless once you or your target is in combat, something that a chaos army wants lots of.

Spell 2: Baleful Transmogrification
Cast on 7+, Range 24", Affected unit takes a Ld test and suffers a number of wounds equal to how much they failed by. No armour saves.

At first appearence this looks great, especially the 'No armour saves' line. However, any unit that has a decent armour save usually has a decent Ld too, or can have it improved with a nearby General. On the other hand, anything that has a low enough Ld to be affected in great numbers (maximum 10 wounds remember) can afford the losses - skaven and goblins spring to mind. It seems a spell designed to take out Empire and Bretonnian knights, and not the special ones at that.

Spell 3: Pandemonium
Cast on 8+, Remains in Play, Enemy units do not benifit from the Ld of characters and enemy wizards Miscast on any double.

Again, it looks quite useful. However it's best feature is the shutting down of your opponant's magic - something that taking a lot of your own wizards (something a pure Tzeentch army should be able to do) can achieve on their own. Would probably hurt Orcs and Empire the most in terms of Ld, most other races can survive without for a turn. Plus it can always be dispelled in the enemy's magic phase as a RIP spell if it would really hurt them that turn.

Spell 4: Treason of Tzeentch
Cast on 9+, Range 24", Essentially Green Fire from the last edition; enemy unit makes one attack against the unit itself.

I'm glad they kept this, it is good fun. It has been clarified a little regarding what weapons the affected unit can use/benifit from, but it ends up working how I played it anyway (caster choses, no HW+S bonus but shields allowed.) what it boils down to is a number of attacks equal to the size of the unit hitting on 4+ and usually wounding on 4+, then saving. on a standard unit of 20, that's about 5 wounds before saves. This can be made a lot worse agains Orcs and Dwarfs who are tougher than they are strong. It can be better by targeting troops with great weapons, but the problem is the line "Target one enemy unit that is not Immune to Psycology." (emphasis mine). Find me one good enemy unit that has great weapons and isn't ItoP! Plus it ceases to work completely agains Daemons and undead, as well as against Frenzied troops. This is before mentioning that it is pointless against ogre types or units with multiple attacks, as they get one attack per model. There are just too many ways to negate the affects to make this a game breaker. Nice, but not lethal.

Spell 5: Call to Glory
Cast on 12+, Range 18", Remains in Play, one of your Rank and File infantry becomes an Exalted Hero with Chaos armour, HW and Shield worth 100vps if killed.

Looks awesome, doesn't it? But it needs a lot of things to go right to get the best use from it. It takes a lot of effort to cast, the target ideally needs to be in combat already, and in a position where a couple extra Str 5 attacks might make a difference. Limited use IMHO. Plus, look at that last bit! If killed worth 100vps! :shock: I do my utmost to AVOID gifting my opponant extra free vps normally!

Spell 6: Infernal Gateway
Cast on 15+, Range 24", Unit takes 2D6 hits at Str 2D6, if a 11 or 12 is rolled for Str the entire unit is removed as a casualty.

I read this and laughed for joy. Finally a spell to rival Bolt of Change! :twisted: But then I looked at the casting cost. 15+!!! 15+!!!! WTF?!?!?! When will this ever be cast??!?! :x

I compared them to the Tzeentch list in the Daemon book, and the mortals are lacking in almost every department. With no major damaging spells and no game breaking spells the Lore is useful in certain cercumstances, but if (like me) you have an army based around a Tzeentchian Cabal of wizards, you will find it very difficult to get the best from it in every game. I'd rather be able to take from the Lores in the rulebook, but I'd have to give up being Tzeentch for that, and I feel this proves my point more than anything else.

By all means, please tell me where I'm wrong. I'd love to get some ideas to get the best from this list. But until then I'll either go with Beastmen who have access to the old Lore of Tzeentch (and I thought that had quite enough flaws in it!) or stick to my Daemons. Now where is my Bolt of Change...

I Am Raven

Postby I Am Raven » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:01 pm UTC

You convinced me. I first was like "15? Just use more powerdice." but that had 2 problems:
1) Not every wizard is able to use an unlimited amount of powerdice
2) The chances of getting a miscast get bigger.

All in all, I think I will let you have this one. :wink: Tzeentch magic isn't THAT great.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:24 pm UTC

Couple questions:

Does anybody in Orlando, Florida actually play 40k?

Does anybody actually play Eldar? I don't think I've seen anybody mention playing them.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I think Jesse does. You looking for advice or do you just not see them around much?
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Little bit of both. I've never actually played a game of 40k, though, and the last time I had a rulebook was... years and years ago, so I think I may be slightly behind on how the game works.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Does anybody actually play Eldar? I don't think I've seen anybody mention playing them.
Yes and no. I've got a few Eldar models from the old 'dex, but I don't play them. But I challenge you to find me someone who plays Dark Eldar.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:19 am UTC

Ah, this is beautiful. I just recently got into 40k. How very happy I am to discover that some of my fellow xkcdians are also into it.

I play as the Angry Marines. Always angry all the time.

They're pretty hilarious. Link to the old codex.
I mean, the concept of an army that has power weapons called things like The Staff of Unmitigated Fury Against Furries, Weaboos, and Spehs Elfs and another called the Adamantium Sack of Power Doorknobs singlehandedly made me put the cash it. If there's any interest, I'll put up the new codex, which is HILARIOUS.
I assume this is covered under parody law as it doesn't have the specifics on how to play the game. Anyone know different? -ST

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

BomanTheBear wrote:Ah, this is beautiful. I just recently got into 40k. How very happy I am to discover that some of my fellow xkcdians are also into it.

I mean, the concept of an army that has power weapons called things like The Staff of Unmitigated Fury Against Furries, Weaboos, and Spehs Elfs and another called the Adamantium Sack of Power Doorknobs singlehandedly made me put the cash it. If there's any interest, I'll put up the new codex, which is HILARIOUS.
I assume this is covered under parody law as it doesn't have the specifics on how to play the game. Anyone know different? -ST

Well, Space Marines are pretty much always pissed off at somebody... I don't know, it just seems like the Angry Marines are more of a "joke" army than something somebody meant to really be played. I didn't look at the codex, though, so I may be wrong, but at first glance...

-X

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

So.. like the Orks then?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:25 pm UTC

Old Ork codex.

The new one is a very different beast.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Account20151023

Postby Account20151023 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:44 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:
BomanTheBear wrote:Ah, this is beautiful. I just recently got into 40k. How very happy I am to discover that some of my fellow xkcdians are also into it.

Well, Space Marines are pretty much always pissed off at somebody... I don't know, it just seems like the Angry Marines are more of a "joke" army than something somebody meant to really be played. I didn't look at the codex, though, so I may be wrong, but at first glance...

The new codex is better and much more comprehensive. It is actually pretty well balanced. I regularly play against a friend of mine who plays Chaos and Orks, and we tend to trade off wins and losses. It always boils down to if I get into assault before he can shoot me down. I'll put up the new codex. At the least, it's worth reading because of how funny the fluff is.

Edit: Alright, codex is upped. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments
AMC_5th.pdf
(6.67 MiB) Downloaded 184 times

Garm

Postby Garm » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:59 pm UTC

raptor.fortress wrote:I've got an Orc and goblin army as well as a marine army.

but everyone has a marine army...

I'm slowly but surely selling my marine army. Sad to see it go but oh well.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:30 pm UTC

Yes, defy the convention! Not everyone has a marine army now!

-X

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

If I actually had a tabletop army, it would be necros. Floating monoliths full of undead robots > *

I get my warhammer fix through Dawn of War though. Can't wait for the sequel.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Sandals

Postby Sandals » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

well, i went to the fantasy GT at the weekend, and was slightly surprised to see someone with a "I'm not slacking, my code's compiling" shirt there! so if that was you, then *waves* :-)

however, on the gaming front i didn't come out as high as i should have done. i ended up being drawn for 2 of my 6 games against my friends, and although we tried to swap we cound't arrange it. so before we started we decided to settle for a draw in these games (i mean, i knew i would win, but couldn't take the points off a mate) However, due to this generosity on my part i failed to hit the magic top 45 and missed out on the final. the real annoying thing is that both of my mates missed it too, and by more than me, so i needn't have been so generous!

still, plenty of other tournaments. and i did get a great deal of satisfaction beating an Italian using a Dwarf army with Thorek in. seeing him kill himself on turn 4 was fantastic! hiding behind a building and a wood for 5 turns doesn't make for the best game, but serves him right for taking sucha beardy army list!!! :twisted:

Return to “Gaming”