Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aetherguy881

Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Postby aetherguy881 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

I checked through the threads and didn't even see a single Warhammer thread. I know there are different tabletop games but I figured it'd be one of them...

Anyway I play Warhammer 40k and use either necrons, space marines space wolves chapter, or (soon) chaos space marines thousand sons division.

You can see some of my work here. Those are some of my space wolves. I consider myself an average painter. I don't plan on winning any painting competition but I'm content with the skill that I have. Strange, I can't draw, but I can paint nicely.

Who else plays or played?
--An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded--
--Ideas are bulletproof--

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Dial-up breaking post.

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:20 pm UTC

I play Tau:

And Imperial Guard:

And here's my baneblade:

Haha, pictures ahoy!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Re: Warhammer (fantasy and 40k)

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

That's a kickass railhead you got there, biggles.

EDIT: Though your broadside seems to be lacking an arm..?
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

aetherguy881

Postby aetherguy881 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

Yes, Baneblade is one kickin' tank. Even if you don't use it, it's a "must" for any Gaurd player. I bought the Leman Russ primarch model with Freki and Geri just because. I've yet to paint them...

I'll try to get picts of my necrons up soon. They'll include my first model ever painted. I'd have to say it's my best too. Well one of the best.
--An open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded--
--Ideas are bulletproof--

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:05 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:That's a kickass railhead you got there, biggles.

EDIT: Though your broadside seems to be lacking an arm..?

Yes. It has some now, and is painted.

My Railhead is not anywhere as good as my newest devilfish, but I haven't taken any pictures of that yet. The blurry picture hides the poor painting; the blue is just a bit uneven.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:48 am UTC

Ugh, I play Tau, but i don't have a full army yet, and if i did, it would take me ages to Paint...
"GRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOWR!!!!"
(Translation: "Objection!")

Maseiken had the ball at the top of the key...

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:38 pm UTC

I loveses my Orkses.

I need to paint more of them....

Anyway, they're fun. Sure, I've got a Space Marine army and they can pretty much destroy anything in their way, but... they're not nearly as stupid-fun as the Orks. I mean.. Rokkit Boyz! Most awesome unit ever.

Soon enough I'll have my battlewagon together, then I'll paint it and provide pictures.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:22 pm UTC

Ah well, really you're in a good place since the new ork codex is coming out soon, and should be balanced against the other new ones. So you'll have your fun and have a chance of destroying anything in your wake.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:37 pm UTC

I am pleasantly surprised we have Warhammer nerds here. I've often referred to us as uber-nerds. Who else would spend hundreds of dollars on un-assembled, un-painted toys that, only on the extremely rare occasion that we find a similarly uber enough nerd, can be actually used for something. Of course even then, the game is a small fraction of the effort in time required to actually get a workable force together. So nerdy in fact that the actual event of playing is so rewarding that few actually care who wins! In fact, most players are more collectors than actual players when it boils down to it. We collect toys exclusively used for a game which becomes almost a minor part of a larger hobby...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:43 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Ah well, really you're in a good place since the new ork codex is coming out soon, and should be balanced against the other new ones. So you'll have your fun and have a chance of destroying anything in your wake.

I know. Since they started releasing the revised codices I've been in a perpetual state of "Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet?"
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:44 am UTC

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/ ... p?t=103313

The ork codex is looking pretty nuts, even if half these rumours are true (usually this stuff is pretty accurate) I will be impressed with the new orks.

I have a Dark Eldar force right now that I have been playing since the release of the 3rd edition BBB, been collecting chaos off and on trying to piece together a nurgle list but after seeing the new codex I am kind of worried about the level of simplicity this game is coming too and probably going to hold off on getting more chaos figs.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."
-Charles Robert

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:01 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:Ah well, really you're in a good place since the new ork codex is coming out soon, and should be balanced against the other new ones. So you'll have your fun and have a chance of destroying anything in your wake.

I know. Since they started releasing the revised codices I've been in a perpetual state of "Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet? Is it in yet?"

The 4th ed. Tau Codex came out on my birthday.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I am pleasantly surprised we have Warhammer nerds here. I've often referred to us as uber-nerds. Who else would spend hundreds of dollars on un-assembled, un-painted toys that, only on the extremely rare occasion that we find a similarly uber enough nerd, can be actually used for something. Of course even then, the game is a small fraction of the effort in time required to actually get a workable force together. So nerdy in fact that the actual event of playing is so rewarding that few actually care who wins! In fact, most players are more collectors than actual players when it boils down to it. We collect toys exclusively used for a game which becomes almost a minor part of a larger hobby...

Whilst for me it is true that the playing is less than the modelling, it seems to me that being in the UK (you are in America?) makes it a lot easier; There is a proper Games Workshop in nearly every city, with games played once a week in the evening, which makes playing games more accessible.

Also the exchange rate means that I can actually afford Forgeworld, as it's not too expensive here.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

yeah, I guess that's more the AMERICAN warhammer experience.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Huzzah!

Re: AMERICAN

.... Que?

Wilibus

Postby Wilibus » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 am UTC

I play mostly with my friends.

We all got into the game a long time ago and have stuck with it for a while. About once a year or so we find someone new and add them to the group, we get together about once every month or two and have a big tournament or sometimes play some team games with 5-10 people.

Though the most fun we have is maximizing our lists. It is a common conversation topic for us when we are doing a variety of other nerdy things.

There are semi-official tournaments once in a while and they usually get around 50 players and have half decent prizes. But I lost faith in them after hearing a horror story from a friend who attended.

One of the our local GW store staff members was playing against an 11 year old and was rolling 4 dice for his heavy bolters. When my friend pointed that out he started an arguement with him over being a poor sport and it being very unfriendly and unbecoming for him to point that out. I was happy when that store closed down, even though it means waiting 2 weeks for mail order now.
"A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there."

-Charles Robert

cerberus

Postby cerberus » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:39 am UTC

I am still working on getting my chaos forces together. Finding out how to work my list before i go and buy models i won't use... poor deamonettes, you will be missed.

mosc

Postby mosc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

I'm currently finishing up the Gaunt's Ghost series of novels. Also, I seem to always be recommending Eisenhorn to people (great stuff). Is anybody else a Black Library reader? Particularly Dan Abnett?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

I love Dan Abnett. The Eisenhorn trilogy was badass.

I wish I had the money to catch up on Gaunt's Ghosts. I lost track around the time they mixed with that Straight Silver unit.

So yeah, easy christmas presents, everyone buy me those.

GhostWolfe
Broken wings and scattered feathers

Postby GhostWolfe » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Jesster wrote:So yeah, easy christmas presents, everyone buy me those.
Careful what you wish for, or you'll end up with 20 copies of the same novel.

On topic: I prefer Warhammer Fantasy, but I have played Space Wolves, Eldar, and a SM Chapter of my own design called The Left Hand of God.

/angell
Linguistic Anarchist
Hawknc: ANGELL IS SERIOUS BUSINESS :-[
lesliesage: Animals dunked in crude oil: sad. Animals dunked in boiling oil: tasty.
Belial: I was in your mom's room all night committing to a series of extended military actions.

Sarr

Postby Sarr » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:11 am UTC

I collect the models, but I've never really played the game (despite trying to get my brother and my friend to play with me... Having more luck with the friend). I have a small force of Eldar, a couple units of Space Marines and a unit of Genestealers. They're all in varying states of unpaintedness and I want to start collecting Orks and Tau. Did I mention I'm kinda strapped for cash? No? >.<
Rakysh wrote:Basically, xkcd is basically for punching into submission the dumb frat guy in your brain.

Matthias

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:32 am UTC

There's a game shop around my area where people play, but I haven't really gotten into it much. I picked up starter Tau and Ork armies, but I haven't done much with them. My converted Shas'O looks awesome (imho), and my homebrew Battlewagon is maybe half-way done, but I don't have a camera to take pictures.

Hmm... maybe I'll just get a disposable and scan the pictures in. That could work...

Also, I can make what I would consider to be a very good "Waagh!" Which I'm sure would be great for picking up chicks, or something.
Love may be blind, but lust has x-ray vision.
Avatar shamelessly plucked from PMOG.

Also, it turns out I'm not dead--I'm just a right bastard who disappears from the internet for months at a time every so often.

Garm

Postby Garm » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:33 pm UTC

I stopped playing WH40k shortly after the Tau were released. Everyone told me that my Imperial Guard were better than the Tau at melee but seriously folks. Being barely better than nothing still means you suck rocks. Watching Chaos marines wade through my entire army was always depressing and since my chosen forces were no longer the shootiest army on the map there was little point to continuing to play. Too bad too. My 130+ infantry men was always an impressive force to field. It hasn't stopped me from painting, however, I blame WoW for that. :D Now that I've stopped playing WoW I'm back to the painting table. Here's a Chaos Lord that I did a while ago, his water base needs work.

And one of my valhallen themed ratling snipers.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

I have a fairly large Nid army and about same sized but currently only half painted Chaos army (should get em done some time next year with this rate). I think I have the pics of some of my Nids laying around somewhere.

TheStranger

Postby TheStranger » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:00 am UTC

For 40K I've got a sizable Space Marines army (Dark Angels successor with my own color scheme). I've also got a small Sisters of Battle army, though I've used it all of once. In addition I've got some random minis from other armies (necrons, chaos, IG)

For Fantasy I've got a fair sized Dark Elf army (heavy on calvary).

I'm a huge fan of the BL books, most of the SF books I've bought over the last few years were from BL (and all of the Fantasy books)
Last edited by TheStranger on Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"To bow before the pressure of the ignorant is weakness."
Azalin Rex, Wizard-King of Darkon

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:58 am UTC

TheStranger wrote:...Dark Angles...

Like... 270...?
ARRRRRGH!

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:05 am UTC

There are angles that twist a man's mind, shining like argent beacons in the warp. These angles will open portals, allowing the warpspawn demons to overrun a planet. You would do well to keep your protrabolter handy. Angles beyond 90 degrees are heretical and must be purged.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 am UTC

True enough brother. That path leads to sin.

Garm

Postby Garm » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:09 pm UTC

So you're saying that the Imperial forces are laboring under the assumption that the universe is actually Euclidian. I thought Gauss' experiments were inconclusive.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- JFK

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:24 pm UTC

I miss my Dark Eldar. Ohhh, the firepower.....

Black, with orange detailing and gold highlights.

Maseiken
The Candylawyer

Postby Maseiken » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:00 am UTC

Qut talking on topic!
We're talking about evil Geometry here!

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

Garm wrote:So you're saying that the Imperial forces are laboring under the assumption that the universe is actually Euclidian. I thought Gauss' experiments were inconclusive.

They were conclusive, but only the necrontyr listened to him.

(Hah, beat that!)

Tuke

Postby Tuke » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:42 pm UTC

A buddy of mine has been into 40K since I've known him, and he's starting to get me into it too. He's got an Ultramarines army that my other friend is going to be using, and he recently started a Black Templar army that he's going to give to me to finish assembling and play with, he decided he wants to play Chaos Space Marines now. I think he's got a goal of having at least one army for each race. Good thing he's an over payed EMT in a small town where he has all the time in the world to put everything together. I've never really played the table top game before, so hopefully I can pick it up pretty quickly. I've played Dawn of War a lot (The RTS PC game). It's not really the same thing, but at least I've got an idea of some of the units and things.
I have a secret to share with you.
Spoiler:
I'm not a moose.

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:08 am UTC

I guess I won't start a whole new thread, even though most people here are talking about 40k...

So this past weekend, while I was with my roommates, my boyfriend and I decided to join our other roommate in playing Warhammer. My boyfriend got Dwarves. I got Wood Elves. This is about the first time I've ever actually really looked at the game closely. I still barely know the rules. We then proceeded to spend the rest of the weekend putting them together where I promptly made an all female command group, and started painting the units in an autumn theme. Does this just make me a stereotypical girl, or is starting Warhammer good enough that I'm exempt from "stereotypical"?

In other news, I swear I'm insane. Even knowing 3 other people who will regularly play with me and several others who are in the area, I just voluntarily started collecting something I know will add up into the hundreds of dollars, just because I really really wanted to paint pretty little elves in forest colours and put them on my shelves on display.

And damn, 'Eavy Metal makes assembling and painting these models look easy. I had to get my boyfriend to help me file the heads so they'd actually go onto the body, and I still think half of them are going to fall off.
~Kat

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm UTC

At least female command groups makes sense for Wood Elves. For most other races, that would just be silly sexism. (That is some of the strangest alliteration I've said in a long time)

Wood Elves do have a good look. But I like Dwarves more. :mrgreen:

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:36 pm UTC

Actually, I was kind of surprised, the Glade Guards have more female warriors than they do males. Out of 5 possible torsos, 3 of them have boobs. And since I was a little lazy about gluing 2 seperate arms to the one of the male torsos, I definitely have more females than males. There's 3 torsos with arms, 2 which are female, and 2 torsos without arms, one male, one female.

So basically, I could only get at best, an even number of males and females, which would need to make the command group all male to do.

And the dwarves do look good. The models fit together really well, compared to the elves, and they're so cute.
~Kat

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

Katastrophy wrote:I guess I won't start a whole new thread, even though most people here are talking about 40k...

So this past weekend, while I was with my roommates, my boyfriend and I decided to join our other roommate in playing Warhammer. My boyfriend got Dwarves. I got Wood Elves. This is about the first time I've ever actually really looked at the game closely. I still barely know the rules. We then proceeded to spend the rest of the weekend putting them together where I promptly made an all female command group, and started painting the units in an autumn theme. Does this just make me a stereotypical girl, or is starting Warhammer good enough that I'm exempt from "stereotypical"?

In other news, I swear I'm insane. Even knowing 3 other people who will regularly play with me and several others who are in the area, I just voluntarily started collecting something I know will add up into the hundreds of dollars, just because I really really wanted to paint pretty little elves in forest colours and put them on my shelves on display.

And damn, 'Eavy Metal makes assembling and painting these models look easy. I had to get my boyfriend to help me file the heads so they'd actually go onto the body, and I still think half of them are going to fall off.

Painting is a way for guys to get get their girls to like gaming. I've seen it happen a lot. My favorite part is when the girls get better at painting than their boy and he gets all grumpy. I've seen that happen a lot too. Painting is great. I've been doing it for years. I have some pics of my models online at http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/DeSoya/miniatures/?start=0. None of them, sadly, are WHFB figgies, as I hate the system. Plus I'm a sucker for the Rackham sculpts.

If you want some tips on how to get started in painting the Ultimate painting guide from Coolminiornot.com is a worth the ten bucks. I just bought it the other day and while the beginner sections are sort of worthless to me, I think they'd be of great help to anyone who is new to the hobby. The coolmini community is a little insular and can be sort of snobbish, however, so be wary. I do think that their book is way better than anything 'Eavy Metal produces these days. The quality of 'Eavy Metal has gone down in recent years and their step by step instructions always contained jumps that were too large to really follow.

Maybe someone should start a new thread about painting. I'm too lazy. :D
- JFK

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:45 pm UTC

Garm wrote:
Katastrophy wrote:I guess I won't start a whole new thread, even though most people here are talking about 40k...

Painting is a way for guys to get get their girls to like gaming. I've seen it happen a lot. My favorite part is when the girls get better at painting than their boy and he gets all grumpy. I've seen that happen a lot too. Painting is great. I've been doing it for years. I have some pics of my models online at http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/DeSoya/miniatures/?start=0. None of them, sadly, are WHFB figgies, as I hate the system. Plus I'm a sucker for the Rackham sculpts.

If you want some tips on how to get started in painting the Ultimate painting guide from Coolminiornot.com is a worth the ten bucks. I just bought it the other day and while the beginner sections are sort of worthless to me, I think they'd be of great help to anyone who is new to the hobby. The coolmini community is a little insular and can be sort of snobbish, however, so be wary. I do think that their book is way better than anything 'Eavy Metal produces these days. The quality of 'Eavy Metal has gone down in recent years and their step by step instructions always contained jumps that were too large to really follow.

Maybe someone should start a new thread about painting. I'm too lazy. :D

My boyfriend does think I'm better at painting than he is. He's not grumpy at me though. I'll check out that site though. 'Eavy Metal is fun, but the steps are a little... Insane. 4 stps to paint every gemstone, and 5 to paint every cape is not really as easy as they make it sound.

Also, your album is private, so I can't see them without a password.
~Kat

Garm

Postby Garm » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Album is now shared. Sorry! I think the correct URL is this: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/DeSoya/miniatures/

ninja edit: I just had to import all the pics from my old yahoo account. Their captioning needs work.
- JFK

Katastrophy

Postby Katastrophy » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

Wow, those are beautiful models. Much better than mine, though in my defense, I've now painted 6 models in my life, and one was so bad I abandonned him half finished in an amy of Lizardmen.

Seriously though, those are great. I'm jealous.
~Kat

Return to “Gaming”